Skyrim 64bit Special Edition Announced

It's true that you'll have more memory available on Windows 7/8 because Microsoft decided to cap the limit to a hard 4064 MB.

There is much confusion on the topic of memory allocation in the context of 32/64 bit operating systems and processes.

This is how I understand the matter.

Memory

First it's not just the RAM or VRAM which is capped. An application gets a certain amount of address space of combined RAM/VRAM. The size of this address space is calculated with this formula. When you install an ENB you will be presented by this formula too.

VRam + SystemRam - 2048

The 2048 MB is reserved for the system itself.

When taking 4GB for main memory, 1 GB for VRAM this is the amount available to an application:

1024 + 4096 - 2048 = 3072 available memory

When taking 16GB for main memory, 2 GB for VRAM this is the amount available to an application:

2048 + 16384 - 2048 = 16384 of available memory

32/64bit OS

A thing often forgotten is the OS. A 32 bit operating system can only use 4GB of memory. And this has to be shared between all applications.

That's because of this equation:

232 = 4,294,967,296 bytes 4,294,967,296 / (1,024 x 1,024) = 4,096 MB = 4GB

A 64 bit OS can allocate much more. See this equation:

264 = 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 / (1,024 x 1,024) = 16EB (exbibytes)

32/64bit applications on a 64 bit OS

Applications get a portion of this available space to do their thing. For 64 bit Windows the virtual address space is split up in 8 TerraByte for applications and 7 TerraByte for the operating system.

A 32bit application however can never exceed the 4 GB barrier because it can never allocate more then 232 Bytes of address space.

32 bit games and ENB

Here is where an ENB comes in. And ENB runs in it's own application instance and has therefore it's own pool of memory. By taking over the textures from the game it frees this space from the games memory pool and expands the amount of memory for the game.

The Windows 8.1/10 cap

This works well under 64bit Windows 7 and 8. But from 8.1 onward Microsoft decided to limit the total amount of available memory for a 32bit directx9 application to 4064MB. So whatever memory you have, the above ENB trick won't work -as well- because this cap is on system level and the ENB is on application level.

This is the reason I'm happy with the release of Skyrim SE. Because we will be freed of the 32bit/directx9 limitations. We won't be needing memory tricks which may give us some performance increases as this processing is simply put not necessary anymore.

Bottom line: it's always good to have something newer. Even if not all mods are working with it at first. We'll be getting a newer engine, using newer technologies. With this comes more potential for even better mods and better interchangeability with fallout 4.

Cheers!

The Windows 8.1/10 cap

This works well under 64bit Windows 7 and 8. But from 8.1 onward Microsoft decided to limit the total amount of available memory for a 32bit directx9 application to 4064MB. So whatever memory you have, the above ENB trick won't work -as well- because this cap is on system level and the ENB is on application level.

Windows 8.1 doesn't have the DX9 cap. Only Windows 10.

Otherwise seems about right.

Aw man and here I was thinking of getting the 1060 since its cheap and has plenty of VRAM. Honestly VRAM is such a problem with modded Skyrim. Was hoping the new version would change that but guess not. Darn Windows Spyware 10.

It will change that it uses dx11 if a recall, so yeah a 1060 would make a visible difference either way depending on your current card.

Hello, Skyrim Remastered HD release is a month away and I ask that will bethesda release support for DX11 or 64bit in general, so that the VRAM cap issue will be fixed for windows 10 systems.

I believe the videos and interview states that the new Skyrim release will be built on the current Fallout engine so whatever features that has will likely be what the new Skyrim has for the most part. Hope that helps. Really we can't know the full details until they actually release the game as they constantly seem to change and modify the game before release (and many times afterwards :P)

The VRAM cap they are talking about is the fact that on Win 8 and 10, DirectX 9 based programs cannot use more than 4064 Meg of video memory.

Only on Windows 10. Windows 8 and 8.1 don't have the DX9 VRAM cap.

Still using Win 7... I believe no cap on that... (only have a GTX970 currently so can't be sure ) I hear there isn't a cap in the OS at least. One major reason to keep Win 7 kicking longer...

Small consideration.

The VRam cap is for DirectX 9.

DirectX 10 and 11 don't have this problem. (Also 12, but not important here.)

Fallout 4 engine uses DX11. (If you don't force ENB, for this case I am not sure.)

So why Skyrim Enhanced should stay on DX9?

Hello, Skyrim Remastered HD release is a month away and I ask that will bethesda release support for DX11 or 64bit in general, so that the VRAM cap issue will be fixed for windows 10 systems.

TESVSE is 64bit and Dx11 native, but none of that means anything unless the textures you're referring to will be in the same format. Bethesda already stated some "hero" textures will be 4K, and most others will be as high or higher than the "High Resolution Texture Pack".

Fallout's ENB is dx11.

So why not just convert all textures to dx11 then? It can't be that hard for them to do it I mean there are only so many of the things and how much time they had to do it already?

That's all TBD.

If they're going to try PBR again, the textures will have to be in a different format, and if they intend to support 10bpc "HDR", then they're going to need to convert to srgb DDS files and 16bit normals, which will make the texture file size rather large even with Fallout's new compression format.

Yeah HD remaster probably will have 64 bit support which will also probably include DX11 that will remove the VRAM cap but if going back to wins 7 you will lose DX12 support. Damn I hate microsoft for this. But there is much confusion on this because they claim that they capped it to remove the memory allocation bugs or something. The tickets on Microsoft.com is there for almost a year now and no new update.

So why not just convert all textures to dx11 then? It can't be that hard for them to do it I mean there are only so many of the things and how much time they had to do it already?

textures are more of a game engine restriction, but every game needs to interface to a system graphics engine aka directx9-directx12, so game hooks to directx and textures hooks to game.

u know that most of the meshes are tied to textures right....

for the dx9 architecture windows 10 caps available memory usage (Vram+Ram) at 4064 or 4gbs

Though this is true, I don't think it impacts anything.GTA5 can barely use that much at 4k with 4 MSAA. If Skyrim stays on DX9, I don't think there's any chance it would need even close to 4gb.

for the dx9 architecture windows 10 caps available memory usage (Vram+Ram) at 4064 or 4gbs

Though this is true, I don't think it impacts anything.GTA5 can barely use that much at 4k with 4 MSAA. If Skyrim stays on DX9, I don't think there's any chance it would need even close to 4gb.

Yeah you might be right but I would rather have it then not.

• 2 weeks later...

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/skyrim-special-edition-gone-gold-system-requirements/2016/10/10/229

Minimum : 
Intel Core i5 750 / AMD Phenom II X4 945

8GB Ram

12 GB hard Disk Space

Nvidia GTX 470 1Gb / Amd HD 7870 2GB

Recommended :
intel Core i5 2400 / AMD FX 8320

8GB Ram

12 GB hard Disk Space

Nvidia GTX 780 3GB / Amd R9 290 4GB

CPU Req. are quite low but GPU req. are same as Fallout 4.

CPU Req. are quite low but GPU req. are same as Fallout 4.

Were you expecting different requirements?

Even if that new Skyrim so look would, would I it not playing!

for me stands the boycott firmly!

Sorry german page, but look the video that is graphic. ;)

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Unreal-Engine-Software-239301/News/Unreal-Engine-Antarktis-Landschaften-fantastische-Grafik-Video-1104941/

Bethesda is incapable, they have no idea!  :lol:  :lol:  :P

edit: Also that creates the 64 bit version not!

Thinks about it once, Who here what affords, Bethesda or the Modders.  ;)

Some popular modders are already testing Skyrim SE on Steam:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/56y6a3/trainwiz_has_early_access_to_skyrim_remastered/

the same ones that went for that paid modding i presume...

and the result will probably be the same, lot of blabla for nothing

found that

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2016/10/11/skyrim-remaster-5-things-to-know-right-now/

look like replacing the engine is just an excuse to sell the same game at full price

and their marketing strategy is... it's 64 bits now, and that's it

still no comparaison with the old engine? is the performance gain  too ridiculous to show off with it?

Some popular modders are already testing Skyrim SE on Steam:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/56y6a3/trainwiz_has_early_access_to_skyrim_remastered/

the same ones that went for that paid modding i presume...

and the result will probably be the same, lot of blabla for nothing

found that

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2016/10/11/skyrim-remaster-5-things-to-know-right-now/

look like replacing the engine is just an excuse to sell the same game at full price

and their marketing strategy is... it's 64 bits now, and that's it

still no comparaison with the old engine? is the performance gain  too ridiculous to show off with it?

I don't know if they are the same ones (on the reddit Trainwiz, Arthmoor, Elianora confirm they tested SE, but for me is irrelevant), but it's funny that last time Bethesda contact a small group of modders and start a "confidential" project (pay mods fiasco) was.. well, a fucking disgrace.

Probably they want to include some mods from those authors as part of the SE launch.

That price is a joke, WTF?  :huh:

rather I would do that, or donate (for poor children).

Before I give only one cent Bethesda!  ;)

For its flaws, Skyrim still provides literally HUNDREDS of hours of entertainment, which is a lot more than most games and it smacks the living shit out of movies. Besides, why haven't you bought Skyrim Legendary? You could have gotten it for $20. That's pennies per hour of entertainment.

rather I would do that, or donate (for poor children).

Before I give only one cent Bethesda!  ;)

For its flaws, Skyrim still provides literally HUNDREDS of hours of entertainment, which is a lot more than most games and it smacks the living shit out of movies. Besides, why haven't you bought Skyrim Legendary? You could have gotten it for $20. That's pennies per hour of entertainment.

But you have forgotten a HUGE point!

Why is Skyrim so popular?

What would be if Skyrim not Modable would be and you can only play Vanilla?

Then Skyrim would be a long time DEAD!  :P

edit: I'll tell you something now, I already play over 2 years No skyrim more.  :lol: