Would This PC Be Acceptable?

Darkening Demise

OK OK OK, one last time. Here's the final FINAL list. I got a hard drive, RAM, and PSU as well as a GTX 750Ti 2G card.

$189.99

$69.99

$64.99

$38.72

Base Total:

$363.69         Promo Discounts: -$5.00         Mail-in Rebates: -$10.00         Total: $348.69  

Honestly the fun part is coming up with the money. -_-

If only 'The Land of Opportunity' still existed where I live.

Is this a good choice of parts for a good rig? Do I have all the requirements for it to function? I have a hard drive already along with 8GB DDR3 RAM, monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, and GTX 750Ti 2GB card. Using pcpartpicker.com but still would like some thoughts before deciding this is what I'm going after. They said its cheaper to build than buy pre-built so.....

For 200+-$ AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core }    no ddr4 support

For 300$+- i7-4790 or i7-4790K         }    no ddr4 support

If you want ddr4 badly you could stretch your wallet for i7-6700K

6600 and 6500 underperform comparing it to amd or these older intels.

Re:- "Would This PC Be Acceptable?"

No that case looks stupid.

Get something like a NZXT I S340.

ps

No I don't have one, but built someone a PC with it and it looks the biz without being shitty teenage looking. My actual box is a Zalman Z9. Which I have grown to hate over the last four years.

Hmm could I throw my hat into the ring with this topic? The only thing I want to change on mine is the graphics card to a 1080.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/yxHpdC

Too much money, already looking at $1300 after taxes and junk. Sadly was looking to spend less than one grand but requirements for the games I play are high.

OK go DDR3 RAM and check if they have a AMD FX-8370? I figured I'd go Intel since people put AMD down and most spec requirements label Intel as the processor of choice. I'll just bite my lower lip and go with the i7-6700K then. I'm looking to run Skyrim, Fallout 4, GTA V, and ARMA 3 on highest of settings and especially the Bethesda games heavily modded.

ps

No I don't have one, but built someone a PC with it and it looks the biz without being shitty teenage looking. My actual box is a Zalman Z9. Which I have grown to hate over the last four years.

Is the case bad in any way besides look? Cuz I could care less if it was a My Little Pony Pinky Pie themed one.

OK go DDR3 RAM and check if they have a AMD FX-8370? I figured I'd go Intel since people put AMD down and most spec requirements label Intel as the processor of choice. I'll just bite my lower lip and go with the i7-6700K then. I'm looking to run Skyrim, Fallout 4, GTA V, and ARMA 3 on highest of settings and especially the Bethesda games heavily modded.

ps

Is the case bad in any way besides look? Cuz I could care less if it was a My Little Pony Pinky Pie themed one.

Absolutely no idea. I assume it has rounded edges inside, drive rack, a back plane for hiding the wiring and sufficient fan mounting points. (and enough room to work on the build). So after that it's just down to looks. You don't care about the looks. So, as long as it meets the previous points, should be fine. You could probably save yourself some money and get a plastic box from your local DIY store and use that for a case. (They do come in pink).

Guest Dark8Paladin

The New Gtx 1060 thats coming in 5 days might be seriously worth looking into , 250$ and stronger than the gtx 980

Yes fair start.

Ignore those complaining about the case..So long as it holds your contents and provides proper air flow for your components it is fine.

However...

You haven't factored in the OS or graphics (since this is a gaming site I assume you want to play games on high etc) OR the Hard drive or Opticial Drive etc. You need to have about 200 ~500 dollars for a decent gaming rig. (graphic card. )

I have that same board. Similar ram etc.. running an i7. Dont need it most of the time unless I am really using (stressing ) the system. Game wise don't matter. I chose the 4690K because it is 4gighz out of the box not overclocked.

I'd consider dropping the extras, (sound card and fans ) and boosting the i5 to an i7 if you plan on multitasking heavily outside of games. that is if it is possible If not get the fastest out of the box clocked i5 possible. (gaming again.. clock is king) If needed perhaps stepping down form that motherboard to a cheaper motherboard (keep quality) and save a few dollars to put into the rest of the rig.

Now if you have the graphics, OS etc then it is fine. Just double check to be sure that ram specs are compatible with the motherboard if possible check to see if the ram is on the accepted ram list. (better stability etc)

Hmm could I throw my hat into the ring with this topic? The only thing I want to change on mine is the graphics card to a 1080.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/yxHpdC

You can change the monitor perhaps find some thing more price appropriate and quicker for gaming. The 1080 is a bit overkill unless you are going to a 2k or 4k monitor(at 4k might not get the full frames you desire) If you are sticking with a 1080p monitor you can get crazy fast refresh rates and such and save $$$ on a graphic card and still get superb gaming experience. 1080p monitors are a very sweet spot for gaming now. Decent mid range graphic cards can smash through the frames and you still have a nice field of vision. Higher ends are all gravy.

My thoughts:

• Could ditch the sound card (unless you an audiophile wanting to play FLACs or watch a movie with a 7.1 channel speaker system) because that Maximus motherboard already has credible onboard audio.
  • There are better and cheaper wifi cards and USB dongles, but the best is to connect the PC to the router with CAT-6 network cable. Measure for length before purchasing; 50 to 100 meters is okay.
  • There are cheaper casing fans which perform better (i.e. been using DeepCool fans, they're working well for five years running... also surprisingly quiet)
  • An aftermarket processor cooling block you may need for heavy gaming (because you mentioned ARMA), but better use closed-loop liquid cooling (i.e. Corsair H55) because those air-cooled blocks are too bulky and could damage components if not properly removed.
  • No GPU? Good and affordable GPUs are coming out in the latter half of the year: either the non-reference versions of the RX 480 or the GTX1060, with improved cooling.
  • Noticed there's no mention of storage. SSDs are popular now, especially for Skyrim, so the safest bet is Samsung's EVO line of SSDs and should be your primary drive for the OS, programs and Steam, including Skyrim and any mods you may install. 250gb if only for a few games but 500gb if you're expecting to add more games. As for the hard drive for which to store downloads, media, and mods, either it's Seagate's 1tb or 2tb Barracudas or WD Black, but I'll pick WD any time of the day, ever since they have improved. Of course, do practice backups regularly if you have your documents and stuff on the SSD.
  • Optical drives are an option unless you intend to install Windows and drivers from a disc.

OK updated the build, is this a decent rig then? Like I said in the main post I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and hard drive already.

My monitor if it matters: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLZ047Q/ref=psdc_1292115011_t3_B0148NNKTC

The goal is to make a build powerful enough to play those games on highest of settings let alone heavily modded within a budget of $1000.

I do have the modem right next to my desk in my bedroom so I have the best connection in the house with my current built in wireless network adapter.

GTA V

ARMA 3

Skyrim

Fallout 4

Guest Dark8Paladin

The New Gtx 1060 thats coming in 5 days might be seriously worth looking into , 250$ and stronger than the gtx 980

This, you will be sorry if you buy last gen cards now.

I have a gtx 760 XD and i bought it when its price was HIGHER than the current 1060 :( ,so im glad you agree with my post  :angel:

CPU & MOBO & RAM:

Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor

I'd buy an i7 4790/4790K if I were you, because if you're going for a Haswell, keep in mind that you won't be able to find an i7 CPU, if you want to upgrade it in the future. At least get a 3.5+ GHz CPU.

ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

I have no experience with ASRock mobos, just make sure that the PCI-E slot for the WIFI card is far away from the graphics card slot and is usable with no conflicts.

G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

No experience with GSKILL either. I always go for Kingston when I want to make sure there's no compatibility issues. Since the speed is low, I recommend getting a low latency RAM (e.g. CL8). 

GRAPHICS:

MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card

Well, at this point I'd probably wait for a 1060 and see if it's any good. If you have the budget you can get a GTX1070. A 1080 would be a real waste of money at this point. 

I think the safest bet is a GTX980.

CASE & PSU:

NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case

No idea, it's a personal choice I suppose.

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

EVGA produces high quality PSUs but I'm not sure this is the best one. I know that G2 series are good. I recommend reading the reviews @Jonnyguru.com. Make sure the overall rating is 9.5 or higher.

ACCESSORIES:

Asus PCE-AC68 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter

No idea. Just make sure the PCI-E slot for this have no conflicts. Also, this really isn't necessary if your modem/router is nearby. Get a CAT5/6 patch cable and use your motherboards LAN port.

Well, I can actually think of one advantage of connecting wireless though, it protects your mobo against electrical surges potentially coming through your modem. Most motherboards today are shielded against that, but better safe than sorry, right?. Although, if your using fiber (instead of xDSL/cable) and every device is connected to a surge protector than it won't be an issue.

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste

Good thermal compound but is it really necessary without a CPU cooler? If you want one, get a CoolerMaster Hyper 212EVO at least.

Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan

Why though? Isn't there enough fans in the case?

STORAGE:

I'd get an 250GB SSD for system files and a few games.

Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

I bought the 1600 MHz version of this (it's the red one) for my build last year. You can also look for the Crucial Tracer (CL8). However, I recommend getting a 2 x 8GB kit. 8 GB RAM will be insufficient for games fairly soon. 

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card

No, I meant the regular 980, not the 980TI. I'd personally wouldn't pay any more than 300 USD for the graphics card unless I'm building an enthusiast level PC.

Also what motherboard would you suggest then to make sure everything works and fits?

Impossible for me to tell whether or not there may be a conflict without looking at motherboard's manual, but you can at least see if there'll be enough space between the PCI-E slot and the graphics card just by looking at its photos.

Save $93 and leave out the wifi adaptor and use a ethernet cable (or spend the money saved on a power line adaptor so you can use ethernet cable)

I used wifi to connect to my router and even with 5 bar on signal strength i use to get about 10 to 15 mb/sec using a ethernet cable over a powerline adaptor i get 50+

The way I see it is when I get a PC or laptop I usually try to let it last for 5+ years. I've been using the same laptop for 5 years and only within the last year or so it has been starting to show its age. I have never had a "God" PC before which us why for my next PC I am willing to spend 3 grand on a computer that will last me 5+ years and blow any current game out of the water when it comes to requirements. Never had that feeling but I want it and am willing to pay for it.

Several things I look for when choosing a motherboard:

- Same amount cooling blocks as the top quality model of the same brand.

- At least 5 fan headers (incl. CPU)

- Minimal feature set (just the ones provided by the Intel chipset and no 3rd party controllers), especially if it's a gaming PC.

- Both the CMOS battery and mSata port(s) if there's one should be located somewhere far away from the CPU/GPU area.

- The PCI-E slot that I may want to use should be far away from the graphics card and should not share anything with any other device on the bus.

- Preferably, an Intel LAN chip.

- Preferably, an optical output for sound.

- Preferably, four SATA cables.

- No bloatware or weirdass software.

- I'd also make sure that the PCB of the motherboard isn't bent.

$189.99        $5.88        

$159.99

$37.89     $215.00   $115.99  

$89.99

$92.96   $17.55  

Base Total:

$925.24         Mail-in Rebates: -$20.00         Shipping: $1.99         Total: $907.23  

Is this a good choice of parts for a good rig? Do I have all the requirements for it to function? I have a hard drive already along with monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers. Using pcpartpicker.com but still would like some thoughts before deciding this is what I'm going after. They said its cheaper to build than buy pre-built so.....

Looking to spend less a grand but I need to be able to run these games on highest of settings at a smooth framerate.

GTA V

Skyrim

Fallout 4

ARMA 3

Looks pretty good. You still are forgetting the OS. And to the question about build vs pre-built.. the pre-built is usually cheaper. (when taking into account the OS and such. However building assures you are getting quality parts that you choose and not OEM parts that the manufacture decided to put in. Pre-built often comes with a manufacture warranty and support, custom built not so much you are on your own if you run into a problem. Pre-built might or might not easily be upgraded. Custom built by you .. you know what you got and you can get replacments easier and upgrades more confidently.

Dont' know about the GTX960 graphics card and the games. However I can chime in on the GTX 970 I play FAllout 4 had about 100 mods installed some heavy graphics and it worked very well and Skyrim ran without a single hickup (well graphic card wise.. :) occasionally those pesky mods fight each other.. but that is another story.) Also please note that I am running the i7 4670K paired with the graphic card. I hear that might help prevent some bottlenecks.

Hope that helps a bit. However you look like you have a much better build choice today than last time I looked :) Good luck

Archived