Would This PC Be Acceptable?

Darkening Demise

I have a i5-4690K (~25% faster than the selected 4590) and a GTX 970 (~50% faster than the 960) on the same Motherboard, so regarding the games you're looking at, for 1080p60 on GTA, you'll need everything set to almost lowest, Skyrim will run close to highest if you're not using an ENB, maybe 30-50 fps on a performance preset otherwise, and Fallout 4 you will definitely need to nerf a few settings. I don't play Arma 3 myself, but that game is reportedly very hard on the CPU, so expect 30-50 again. And for clarification, anything less than 60 will be noticeably 'not smooth.'

General comments on the build:

• Motherboard is way overkill. Unless you have your heart set on SLI in the future, you don't need three 16x PCIE lanes. Not to mention the socket doesn't support any 5th or 6th (and likely later) generation CPU's; no upgradability.
  • That Wi-Fi adaptor really hurts. If you can't run ethernet, at least look into cheaper alternatives. Even half that $100 spent elsewhere could be the difference between low and high in some games.
  • You don't need a third fan. The two fans that come with that case are more than enough.
  • Since the 4590 is non-overclockable and you're not buying an aftermarket CPU-cooler, you don't need more thermal paste. The stock cooler comes with it pre-applied.
  • No SSD. Even 120GB is enough for the OS and 1 large game (like GTA or Skyrim/Fallout after 30GB of mods), and it is a huge improvement. You're computer will boot in under ten seconds, and you won't have time to make a sandwich every time you load up GTA. 

Realistically though, I'd recommend scrapping all but the case and picking from the 'Excellent' tier on Logical Increments. Skylake and Z170 mobos are almost a must if you don't want to have to throw out your motherboard in a year or two's time. RAM clock-speeds have no noticeable impact on gaming performance, so don't be scared about skimping out there. A 212 Evo is the perfect budget aftermarket CPU cooler; if you get an unlocked CPU (has a k or x at the end), this will cool it more than adequately. For GPUs, I'd really recommend waiting for 1060 benchmarks and non-reference cards. Nvidia is making really big claims about this card, and if they stick, it'll be almost twice as fast as the 960. A non-reference RX 480, R9 390 or GTX 970 would also be solid choices.

As for pre-built vs build-it-yourself — generally yes, you will get a better deal building yourself, as well as more control over quality of critical components like the PSU. But if you spot any sales on pre-built machines like this or this, you can save yourself a lot of effort, so don't dismiss them out of hand.

A final tip: don't be afraid to check the used market, like Ebay and /r/hardwareswap. A lot of 970's are being sold for around $200, many after being used for less than a year (not that age really matters), and that'd save you upwards of $70. CPU's and motherboards are worth looking for, but for everything else I'd suggest buying new over used.

As for pre-built vs build-it-yourself — generally yes, you will get a better deal building yourself, as well as more control over quality of critical components like the PSU. But if you spot any sales on pre-built machines like this or this, you can save yourself a lot of effort, so don't dismiss them out of hand.

The first one is a nice deal.. not sure of the upgradablity but it is very decent and below the 1 grand desired for the build. Check to see if you can add a simple SSD currently or later for faster program operations/Gaming and if you can it could very well be a nice choice. Might even be able to order it with the SSD off the bat. Check the reviews of this computer on the web to be sure others have enjoyed the experience as well. If so.. very solid. The second link couldn't see much on the specs.

The first one is a nice deal.. not sure of the upgradablity but it is very decent and below the 1 grand desired for the build. Check to see if you can add a simple SSD currently or later for faster program operations/Gaming and if you can it could very well be a nice choice. Might even be able to order it with the SSD off the bat. Check the reviews of this computer on the web to be sure others have enjoyed the experience as well. If so.. very solid. The second link couldn't see much on the specs.

Oh neither of those deals are still valid, they were just examples/benchmarks for what a 'good' pre-built looks like.

Oh neither of those deals are still valid, they were just examples/benchmarks for what a 'good' pre-built looks like.

The second one I couldn't even see anymore. That is the reason for the statement. The hardware on the first one is pretty good to have as a mid level gaming machine.

Unless you really want the phantom you should be able to save at least $40 to $50 with another case and especially if you catch it on sale.

Look for Cooler master HAF 912, Corsair 100R, 100R silent or 200R. Count the included fans before considering buying another one on your own.

Wait for new video card, unless you want to get the 980Ti or GTX1070 now.

Unless you want the option to SLi you don't really need a 750W power supply could shave a few $10s going lower.

Motherboard and ram are weird right now I wouldn't go with an old chipset and DDR3, that means you should likely go i5 6500 or i5 6600k for CPU.

DDR3 prices are also likely going to stay or go up as supplies dried up making it harder to upgrade unless you want to pony up 16 or 32gb right now, and I don't think 8gb is or will be enough anymore. DDR4 prices aren't bad also, many having better price/gb ratio than DDR3.

OK till I can come up with the funds, would I be able to put anything into my current PC to help with performance on Skyrim ?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03135882

Just looking for something to be a temp till I can build a new PC, this way I can enjoy my current games with some better quality.

Adding a graphics card would increase performance although as the stock power supply is 300 w you would either need to get one that can work on that (which you would most likely need to replace for your custom build pc) or get a new psu as well although with both there is no reason why you could not get a good graphics card and power supply and then stick them in your new pc

OK till I can come up with the funds, would I be able to put anything into my current PC to help with performance on Skyrim ?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03135882

Just looking for something to be a temp till I can build a new PC, this way I can enjoy my current games with some better quality.

Total 504.97 before tax... ;)

If possible to change out the power supply get one that will work for your planned (or actual graphics card) An SSD would also work well. I would avoid the 1060's, 1070's etc because of bandwidth restriction on your PCIexpressx16 2.0 graphic expansion card slot. Might start to buffer (combined withe the weaker CPU)

All three can play games you want (with some tweaks) and can be transferred over to a new rig when you build. and most can be found on substantial sale currently (namely the GTX970 or even 980;) ) Then all you need is a case, Mobo, Processor OS, and Ram (if you go 6th gen Intel)

If possible and make sure... you might be able to change out your case and gut your current PC and load it up into the new case then add the new components.

I said temp, not cost me a ton of shite! :(

Yeesh that's too much, just want to plug something in my current rig, while saving up for my new build so I can play things a bit better till then.

Oh and NEVER going SSD. Just a crappy low storage space a bit faster HDD.

Your built computer is designed to run with the equipment it has and not intended to be upgraded this way.

Short of adding an SSD, or some ram (if low) you can't really upgrade it without spending a large amount of money.

If you add a gaming graphics card you will need to upgrade the power supply to cover the added power requirement of the graphics card.

Change out the motherboard... you'd have to change the CPU and very likely the memory.

Basically that is what Pinky was pointing out as well. You can use these upgrades later when you go and make your new computer/rig. :) I do this with mine. I don't have the money to build gaming rigs but I can put in 300 dollars or so for an upgrade this year and 300~400 dollars for an upgrade next etc. Skip a year and put in 600$ for a motherboard/CPU/RAm upgrade.:)

This is how I ended up with the nice rig I currently have.

However look closely at the power supply and see if you can perhaps put some small graphic card into it in the mean time that would be better than the graphics that the motherboard has. You might get a slight boost however not much I suspect and doubt this upgrade would be transferable to the new system. (wasted money) So keep it as inexpensive as possible.

For this price range in cpu get the amd from fx 8xxx series, or pay up and get better intel.

What's the big deal about i7's; I don't get what hyper threading does?

For this price range in cpu get the amd from fx 8xxx series, or pay up and get better intel.

What's the big deal about i7's; I don't get what hyper threading does?

Virtually nothing for games. It can be a nice boost for video encoding. It can also be nice for recording live game streams if you do that. However, he would indeed be well advised to get an Intel cpu, as it has much better performance for games.

As for your question about what to add right now, what you could do is buy a new case, a power supply, and a video card. A 520W Seasonic power supply will be enough for any single video card you throw at it, and I've never had a Seasonic die in any build I've made for myself or for others. My oldest Seasonic is going on 8 years old and still works like a champ(though the system is rarely used now).

That Thermaltake case is very nice. I have one of their cases, and it has good air flow and looks cool as well. The hard drive dock on top is extremely handy if you have as many drives as I do. Decent price as well.

As for video card, that one is more up in the air. This is a very bad time to buy a video card, because NVidia and AMD are both launching new cards in the next two weeks. The new cards always sell for over MSRP for the first batch. When new ones come in around August, prices should be a lot better. I'd say even an Nvidia 1060 will leave you very pleased, if you intend to run only a 1080p monitor. If you're interested in a 4k monitor, an Nvidia 1080 is basically the only option.

You can use all three of these pieces in the new build, when you have the funds. So it's sort of like you're buying part of the new system now, that you can use right away. Just pull your motherboard and hard drive out of the old system and put them in the new case.

Now is not the time to buy an ssd. That's once you buy a new motherboard. And yes, you need an ssd as a boot drive. SSDs are not for storage. They're for fast load times(not just games). Your entire system becomes vastly snappier with one. I've used dual core cpus built in 2007 with an ssd added later, and they feel faster than a brand new $1,000+ i7 that only has old HDDs in it. You use both an ssd AND an HDD. Everyone of my computers have an ssd, and I literally won't even build someone a pc without one any more. Saying "I don't need an ssd" is like saying "I don't need more than 1gb of ram".

Solid State is not snake oil. Every single process on a computer requires information that has to be fetched from storage. Literally no exceptions. Everything needs access to your hard disk, at least once. So when you send the grand majority of those requests to something that can respond to them fifty times faster the difference is fucking night and day.

Adding an SSD to an old system is the single easiest and cheapest way to improve performance.

Solid State is not snake oil. Every single process on a computer requires information that has to be fetched from storage. Literally no exceptions. Everything needs access to your hard disk, at least once. So when you send the grand majority of those requests to something that can respond to them fifty times faster the difference is fucking night and day.

Adding an SSD to an old system is the single easiest and cheapest way to improve performance.

I have a SSD although i'm lazy so i just waited until they started coming out with decent capacilty and then i just cloned my 512 HDD onto a SSD, boots up very fast, does a virus scan of the SSD very fast (approx 1 min for a full scan on the SSD and then like 9 mins to scan my 1GB backup HDD) but i've never noticed an improvement in gaming and no benchmark program ive run (mainly 3dmark ones although i've tried a couple of others but i dont recall the names) reported an improvement in FPS when comparing to my pre-SSD days.

Maybe i just dont play the games that benefit from a SSD but from my perspective/experience having a SSD results in no improvement once you are in a game and i think that is what darkening demise is after

Looking at what you originally selected the GPU MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB GDDR5 wants 400 W, the PSU you have also selected is 500W (personally i would go a bit higher on the wattage for future growth) going by UK prices the GPU is about £140 and a 600 W PSU is about £50 so for £190 + postage and packing you can start getting the peices for your custom build PC and see an improvement using them in your current PC - the card is PCIx16x3 and your motherboard is not but these are meant to be backwards compatibilty so when you get a new motherboard you will see a bit of an improvement again as your card will have more bandwidth

$159.88   $179.88   $38.99   $196.99  

$99.99

$49.99   $29.98  

Base Total:

$755.70         Mail-in Rebates: -$10.00         Shipping: $8.98         Total: $754.68      

Is this a good choice of parts for a good rig? Do I have all the requirements for it to function? I have a hard drive already along with monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers. Using pcpartpicker.com but still would like some thoughts before deciding this is what I'm going after. They said its cheaper to build than buy pre-built so.....

Looking to spend less a grand but I need to be able to run these.

GTA V

Skyrim

Fallout 4

ARMA 3

Sims 4

never take amd cpu unless u make apu build and dont want dedicated gpu. modern i3 (in most multimedia loads) or even pentium (in older games) will squash top fx amd cpus. fx 8350 is not 8 core, its just quad core with extra integer false advertised as 8 core. floating point performance (the only thing that really matters in multimedia\3d\high precision calculations) of fx serie is INFERIOR to phenom 2 serie. its like they designed those cpus from pure marketing perspective of pseudo cores.

also u need high end motherboard for amd heaters, i mean cpus.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2182-fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-huge-performance-difference

http://blog.stuffedcow.net/2014/01/amd-modules-hyperthreading/

never take amd cpu unless u make apu build and dont want dedicated gpu. modern i3 (in most multimedia loads) or even pentium (in older games) will squash top fx amd cpus.

Please tell me your modern i3 that is better than AMD FX-8350

True, fx take 125 W and stock cooler wont do. But still it cost as much as 6320 and is much better.

never take amd cpu unless u make apu build and dont want dedicated gpu. modern i3 (in most multimedia loads) or even pentium (in older games) will squash top fx amd cpus.

True, fx take 125 W and stock cooler wont do. But still it cost as much as 6320 and is much better.

That guy makes me laugh, trying to justify his arguments from a fansite.

Yo 'Sucks, an i5 is enough. Full STOP.

That guy makes me laugh, trying to justify his arguments from a fansite.

Yo 'Sucks, an i5 is enough. Full STOP.

When you say enough, enough for when? a quick browse of my steam list and i can find games that recommend i7's (shadow of mordor 2014)

Capture.jpg

If we were talking about doing an upgrade on the cheap and you had an i5 then yes i'd agree but if you are going to build a gaming PC why would you pay for stuff that you might have to replace when the difference between going for triple and quad core isn't that big (imo)

Do you guys actually use/used an FX?

Yes.

Can you share with us, what games you play/played with it, since you still recommend it over an i3?

I'm confused, even fx 6350 can run every game* on market in stable 30 fps (gtx 960) which is like 70% worse than fx 8350. So what are you exactly asking?

*batman, Star Citizen excluded.

Archived