• Siddgeir
    • Rolff Stonefist
    • Balgruuf's kids
    • Miraak
    • Harkon
    • Astrid
    • Aerin

I I actually like braith.

When I found out I couldn't kill Maven,Delphine, or Elewen it left me extremely disappointed which in turn left me filled with hate. :angry: ............ :shy:

Most hated: Balgruuf's Kids.  Someone needs to teach them to respect their elders.

My hated NPC's, though...

All of Skyrim's children.  There's not a one of them that isn't annoying, and they're everywhere, and worse than that, they never shut up.  Worse than never shutting up, they all seem to have two or three lines played endlessly on repeat.

Maven Black-Briar.  Not really hated as much as most of the others on this list.  I can respect ruthless business tactics.  On the flipside, you'd think she'd pay more for retrieving that damnable quill from the bottom of the stupid lake.  Especially after you become leader of the two guilds she affiliates herself with.

Aerin.  Nosy busybody with his head firmly crammed up Mjoll's ass.

Ancano.  I don't typically hate most of the Thalmor NPC's in game.  You don't typically interact with them enough to hate them.  However, having done the College of Winterhold questline a few times, Ancano's condescending, sneering remarks make him annoying.  I think the reason I hate him more than, say, Elenwen, who we actually meet for a moment, is because it feels like he's trying to be evil, failing badly, and resorting to petty insults to keep his 'evil' Thalmor persona intact.  The only time he truly seems evil is after a certain object's power goes straight to his head.

Siddgeir.  Easily my most hated from the base game.  In fact, the very reason I'm trying a Stormcloak playthrough this round, just so I can boot him off of his throne and onto his ass.  Sneering, condescending, arrogant, and openly dealing with criminal scum.  Has no interest in restoring his hold (I think Helgen was part of Falkreath, right?), just in lining his own pockets and making his steward handle all the affairs of running a hold.  Would be better if I could kill him afterward, but not totally necessary.

Harkon.  Mostly hated just because he's too blind to see that his prophecy would end in death for him and all his kind.  Also willing to sacrifice his daughter just to fulfill this prophecy.  And because he's an ass who fails to see that there are ways to gift someone for bringing your long-lost daughter home other than making a vampire out of them.

Miraak.  Only hated because of his irritating ability to steal my dragon souls.  Otherwise, a good adversary.

And my list covering the rest, and why I don't hate them.

Starting from the top.

Nazeem.  Condescending and rude, but realistically, about what you'd expect from a petty noble too shortsighted to realize your title as Thane.

Heimskr.  Sure, he's annoying, but he's the one and only person in Whiterun that you can hear from the front gates, and thereby the first (and only) sign of civil troubles in Skyrim if you dodge the default intro, other than random groups of soldiers here and there.  That, and you can butcher the poor guy if he bothers you that much.

Ulfric Stormcloak.  Sure, he's got his head up his bum most of the time, but, I think he's trying to do what he thinks is right, even if he is a bit of a racist.  The Dunmer are in the Gray Quarter because they won't pull their weight enough to get out of it.  The Argonians are kept out of the city because they're a problem with the Dunmer due to a war we never got to see, but only hear about.  A Dunmer can join the Stormcloaks (in fact, so can Altmer and everyone else).  And Ulfric even respects your bravery if you bring him Balgruuf's axe, and mentions it's a pity you're on the wrong side.  Plus, the guy can shout!  Only other character in Skyrim other than you and the Greybeards who shows the ability, and it's through learning, just like the Greybeards.

Thonar Silver-Blood.  Okay, he's a rich ass who owns probably half of Markarth, and they use prisoners to mine all that silver.  I don't see a problem with that.  He's just another guy who's let money and perceived power get to his head.

Elenwen.  Neither hated nor liked, just simply met for a moment.  Made no move to stop your execution, but why would she?  You weren't an asset to the Thalmor, alive or dead, so your living or dying made no difference to her.  When you meet her at a little party, again, she's polite about meeting you.  Sure, she's a diplomat, and she's one of the Aldmeri Dominion, but... We don't really interact with her enough to justify hating her specifically.  That, and you get to royally ruin her party.

Delphine.  Almost made my list of hated NPC's until I installed a mod that keeps her from stealing the horn, plugging one plot-hole I couldn't stand.  Still dislike that she insists I kill a particular dragon, but the Blades did nothing for me, and I've got a mod to tell her, "No, the Blades are to serve the Dragonborn, not the other way around."  Instantly 1000% better.  Plus, the Blades can be easily ignored after a couple of quests anyway.

Titus Mede II.  WARNING, SPOILERS!  Just skip this one if you've never played the Dark Brotherhood Questline.

Okay, so I get it. He's made no attempts to get rid of the Thalmor, he stopped the war early, and he agreed to basically the same demands that were made at the beginning of the Great War.

But think about it for a moment. Everyone says, sure, we had the Thalmor's backs to the wall and could have finished it. We could have won. But at what cost?

He knew the banning of Talos would cause a rift in Skyrim. Could this not just be a strategy? Stir up a hornet's nest in Skyrim, make the Thalmor waste time and resources trying to stomp out Talos worship, let Ulfric and his Stormcloaks kill a few dozen of them, then hit the Aldmeri Dominion when they're weakened? Sure, it made him unpopular in Skyrim.

But the guy's willing to accept his fate when you get to him after accepting that contract in the Dark Brotherhood. He's even polite about it, and asks for one request from an old man about to die. I've always honored that request.

Dark Brotherhood wins: We get fame, glory, and our name spoken with fear.

Titus Mede II draws: Sure, he died. But, his request is honored and the guy who hired you to kill him dies too.

Thalmor lose: Whoever ends up in the position of Emperor is likely to be a better tactician than Mede was. If the Dragonborn gets claim to it because of who s/he is, then the Thalmor are really screwed.

Sorry, can't hate the guy.

Grelka.  An armor merchant barely scraping by in the City of Thieves.  Wouldn't you be a bit salty if you had to work standing between an Argonian and a Dunmer selling trinkets, across from a snake-oil merchant taking people's coin, with two beggars sitting around reeking and begging for coin?  Especially when you're selling armor, something only adventurers would really want.  So she's having a perpetual bad day, even more so if you go to her and unload all your junk to take every coin she's got while leaving her with useless crap like cast iron pots, garnets, iron ingots, and ancient swords.  I can understand her annoyance, and why she's taking it out on her customers.

Mercer Frey.  Spoilers!

Can't really hate the guy, either. A clever adversary who let Daedric power go right to his head. Stole from the Thieves' Guild, misled his fellow Nightingales, murdered one, tried to murder the other, and was clever enough to have you go first so Karliah's poisoned arrow would hit you, not him.

Plus you totally get your revenge later in the quest.

Commander Maro.  Cookie cutter guardsman for the Emperor who's just doing his bloody job.  Double-crosses the Dark Brotherhood with good reason, and tries to kill you in the process.  Can't really hate him.  Especially because he's one of the few on this list with a good bloody reason to hate your character's guts by that point.

Rolff Stone-Fist.  Typical racist talking crap about the Dunmer in order to make Windhelm appear worse to the player on first impressions.  However, I can't really hate him.  First, Windhelm's a big city and it's easy to avoid him.  Second, the Dunmer make a point that rings more true with me in that conversation early on.  "We don't help because it's not our fight."  Except it is.  You're living in Windhelm, and if you're not a Stormcloak or pro-Stormcloak, or Imperial or pro-Empire, than the only thing left to assume is Thalmor or pro-Thalmor.  In a Civil War, you almost have to take a side.  So realistically, Rolff kinda backfires for me as a character to hate.  I don't like him, but he makes a point that stands stronger than my dislike.  The Dunmer leech off of Windhelm, yet provide it no benefits.  They have their own self-contained community, but whine about being in the Gray Quarter.  I'm sure a Dunmer who joined the Stormcloaks would find themselves kept out of the Gray Quarter as a status symbol.  So, no, I don't hate Rolff.  I don't like him, either.  He's a character put in place to do one thing, and that's to make Windhelm appear more unfriendly than it is.

Astrid.  Spoilers!

Really can't hate Astrid. Sure, your first meeting with her is... Unpleasant. However, she appears to be, at first glance, a caring guild master for the Dark Brotherhood. Her rag-tag group of assassins were doing just fine, even after you came along.

Cicero, however, changes that by making her think there's a conspiracy. The Night Mother Speaks to you, and you tell her this. She remembers the old tenets, that the Listener is the highest position in the Dark Brotherhood, and that you're claiming to be it.

She's fearful of losing everything she's built up. Fearful of losing her already-faltering Brotherhood, fearful of being thrown out like a chamber pot's contents the instant you decide to take control.

And so, she does a rash action and tries to double-cross you. She makes a deal with what might as well have been the devil, Commander Maro, to trade you for the safety of her Family. And she's betrayed in the process, a double-crossed-double-crosser.

Self Fulfilling Prophecy happens. By trying to get you killed to keep the Dark Brotherhood hers, she kills her own Dark Brotherhood. And in her last moments, she performs the Black Sacrament against herself to pass leadership to you, in what effectively was a mercy-killing.

And someone who didn't quite make the list, although he's one of my more disliked characters.

Cicero. Yes, the mad murdering Jester himself. Disliked for many reasons, but let's wind back to my first usual meeting.

That damned cart with the broken wheel, with the coffin carrying what we learn later is the Night Mother. Sure, the owner of the Loreius farm is an ass who fails to realize that he could just fix the wagon and not have to deal with Cicero sending random adventurers to his door to get it fixed, but I can understand his suspicions.

Sure, Cicero pays well in the end for convincing Loreius to fix the wheel, but it always just rubbed against me the wrong way.

However, I can single-handedly blame him for the Dark Brotherhood falling apart. If he hadn't shown up, if he hadn't brought the Night Mother to Skyrim, to the Sanctuary, then we'd probably still be murdering people for Astrid from her long list of rumors and contacts.

But, he brings the Night Mother and keeps talking to her, making Astrid suspicious. You hide in the Night Mother's coffin, and Cicero goes ballistic. Then when you're forced to tell him the Binding Words so he doesn't kill you, he goes off and tells everyone that you're the Listener, directly undermining Astrid's current leadership of the Sanctuary.

So when Astrid confronts him and he runs off to the Dawnstar Sanctuary after attacking several members of your little family, and you chase him down (whether you kill him or not, it doesn't matter for this part), he taunts you as you track him to his lair.

If you go to kill him, you'll find his little "I'm badly wounded" act is about as thin as tissue paper. Sure, it could be adrenaline in a last-ditch "If I'm going to die, you'll never forget it!" kind of attack, but I think he was just faking it.

But, regardless of his survival, he's just caused the Brotherhood to fall apart. Astrid puts her plan in motion and the Sanctuary burns. Many of your friends are killed, those you've grown to like in this time. And it's all because of one crazy man who brought his mother's coffin to Skyrim, who made it a point to undermine the authority of the person who brought you into the Dark Brotherhood to start with.

There's a lot of rather annoying people in Skyrim, but for me Heimskr's the worst. That preaching is the reason why he is the first person I assassinate in every game, regardless of what type of character I'm playing. That said, no one in Skyrim bothers me that much anymore, mainly because thanks to mods, you can either fix the problems, or kill anyone who bothers you! There's killable children for all the brats, Serana Dialog Edit to get her to not be annoying, and various essential-removers for everyone else. You might lose out on a few quests, hear people talk about a person you killed as if they were alive, and maybe break a prophesy or two, but eventually there won't be any annoying NPC's anywhere in all of Skyrim!

I don't really have any problem with annoying NPC's except for Aerin. My first playthrough I married Mjoll, imagine my surprise when I got back home and found him in my house... dafuq, man? Take a hint. And the most annoying part about him was that HE was telling me in MY freaking house how awesome Mjoll is.... I KNOW! THAT'S WHY I MARRIED HER! NOW GET THE F%$# OUT OF MY HOUSE! yeah... I had a lot of fun testing my VioLens settings on him.

How could anyone hate Neloth? He is the funniest and best NPC of them all!

Neloth is awesome, even if my Telvanni Dragonborn wanted to kick him into the deep black waters of Nchardak for being insufferably obnoxious. I used to laugh at him in Morrrowind, but Dragonborn made him so interesting. He's my favorite character of all TES.

As for most hated, I'm torn between Maven and Mercer Frey, though Maven is at least interesting as a ruthless female crime boss. Mercer Frey is just despicable. I can't even stand the way he talks.

Delphine is annoying. I don't mind Heimskr, he just rants in his little spot, though I installed a mod that replaced the Talos statue with an Alduin on the word wall statue, so it looks like Heimskr is worshipping Alduin. I just laugh at Nazeem.

The kids are bratty and annoying, so I don't bother with adoption, but I don't hate them.

And, oh, Rolff Stonefist. My Dragonborn, who is Dunmer, hates him and once pumped about a 100 arrows into him and the bastard still didn't go down. Annoying.

Yes you forgot Brynjolf and his hound your ass all over riften or interrupting you when you are trying to talk to someone. You also forgot sapphire and her get out of my face line always makes me hit save then get right up in her face asking what was that about your face did you say punch it.

I use to have a mod that allowed me to launch a person into the sky and out of sight. Whenever I ran 

by Nazeem and he said his cloud district spew he would get a free flight to the cloud district on me. Nazeem have you been to the cloud district ME no but your ass is about to again free of charge.

Another annoying one are the guards that say that I use to be a adventure line. That is until I installed a mod that struck anyone dead where they stood with a lightning bolt from the gods if they uttered those word. Now if only they would make one that would pummel them to death with sweet rolls from the heavens when some utters the sweet roll line.

The author who made the arrow to the knee struck by lighting also made a sweetroll one, where the guard gets turned into a sweetroll when they say that line. I have them both installed.

I dont really care about Nazeem. What annoys me more about his line is, that they really say Whiterun has Districts.It just doesn't look like that.

I think there was also a Mod that spawned Bandits when a Guard said that line  (its been a long time since we moved against...).

Never tried the Mod though.

Almost forgot  about Eisa Blackthorn, not on the list here .The Pale Lady Quest starts(Frostmere Crypt) when she finishes the 3 bandits and aproaches the Player. There is no choice to say no, don't care or just finish her off (she can't die).

Wow necro thread but seeing it is here I am going with Octieve San after I heard these lines I realized what a true piece of shit he is. Evette works all day everyday and he does jack shit but sponge off from her.... and he is marriageable WTF 🤢.... He seems to disappear in my game while going to get the shipment sent to Evette he comes with me and some how ends up fish food not sure how :classic_ph34r:

Evette: "Father, could you clean up the house a little while I'm away?"
Octieve: "Maybe. I'll see if I feel like it."
Evette: "I'm on my feet all day. Can you please do this one thing for me?"
Octieve: "Sure, whatever."

Octieve: "Where've you been all day?"
Evette: "At the market, father."
Octieve: "Well, did you bring back any mead?"
Evette: "I barely make enough for us to eat as it is, father. You can't just drink it all away."
Octieve: "Humph. Some daughter you are."

I just can't bring myself to hate Nazeem. When he first asked me if I went to the Cloud District I thought that was where you got high on weed.🤣

But I cannot stand Maven Black-Briar at all. The way she initiates a conversation then dismisses it in the same sentence makes me want to smack a bitch.

"Do we really need to be talking?" she says to me; a random stranger on the street. PISS OFF! Gloating you are in some high ass position is one thing but telling random folks on the street they aren't worth talking to when bitch, all you do is own a small mead shop. That is just scraping the bottom of the barrel. In essence yes we should not be talking in that you should not be talking to me.

Reducing the idle chatter to zero improved the game %1000 for me as people sharing their backstories to a total stranger may be realistic in some sense but boy is it silly. As for Maven she can talk down to the mice all she wants in my dungeon.

In my game there is a cow in Whiterun near the temple. Why?

Then there's whatsherface in the jail in Riften. It's not her I dislike but the fact that she is there. Why is she there? What is the point?

49 minutes ago, thesteve812 said:

For me it's Maurice Jondrelle. Runs when a rabbit crosses the road or he's constantly running into me.

I had to look up who he was. To be fair to him, having to nurse-maid an NPC from A to B in any game is an absolute pain. Back in the days when I did that gig I would 'discover' the Eldergleam Sanctuary to get it on my map then once I picked him up I would fast travel there.

12 minutes ago, Corsayr said:

Delphine

God do I hate Delphine.

Delphine's logic on Paarthurnax is literally that he's somehow worse for having decided to help the lesser races fend off dragons.  I guess she figures it makes him a traitor or something, but she's literally talking about the one thing that prevented the total destruction or enslavement of the mortal races ages ago.  The fact the quest is called "The Paarthurnax Dilemma" is insulting, there's no dilemma there.  He's been living in isolation preaching pacifism and atoning for his past crimes since before people were even counting years.  Meanwhile most of her contribution to the story is to act like hot shit despite the fact like 70% of your quests from her can only be considered success because of random luck.  If you hadn't been put on the trail to Esbern or whatever his name is in Diplomatic Immunity, that whole quest would have just been about sneaking into, and then slaughtering your way out of, an embassy.  One staffed by Thalmor, yes, but I feel like that moral highground really only takes you so far given the circumstances.

I have plenty of NPCs I can't stand, but off the top of my head is the old noble Vulwulf in Riften.  He spins you a story about how his daughter went off to be a medic and was mercilessly cut down by Imperial soldiers and how he doesn't want to lose anyone else, then turns around and tells his son he's wasting his life being a businessman and needs to join the Stormcloaks.  My man, if you're not looking to bury more of your children, maybe sending them off to fight a war isn't the play.

Also in Riften is our good buddy Maven, who I honestly wish we could kill off.  After all this time playing the game, I find I tend toward Imperials over Stormcloaks but the fact she replaces Laila as Jarl in an Imperial play through infuriates me.  Laila might be naïve, but she's honorable and tries to be level headed about things, and she genuinely cares about her citizens.  Maven's a criminal with a superiority complex and no qualms about using and discarding people, and if there was any justice in the game you'd be able to bring her crimes to light and send her whole family where they belong.  Except maybe for the girl, the one who spends all her time mixing potions.  She might be creepy, but she seems like the only Black-Briar that has a hobby that's not selling drugs to school children or stomping on kittens or something.

On 12/7/2020 at 5:25 PM, Darkpig said:

I just can't bring myself to hate Nazeem. When he first asked me if I went to the Cloud District I thought that was where you got high on weed.🤣

But I cannot stand Maven Black-Briar at all. The way she initiates a conversation then dismisses it in the same sentence makes me want to smack a bitch.

"Do we really need to be talking?" she says to me; a random stranger on the street. PISS OFF! Gloating you are in some high ass position is one thing but telling random folks on the street they aren't worth talking to when bitch, all you do is own a small mead shop. That is just scraping the bottom of the barrel. In essence yes we should not be talking in that you should not be talking to me.

Reducing the idle chatter to zero improved the game %1000 for me as people sharing their backstories to a total stranger may be realistic in some sense but boy is it silly. As for Maven she can talk down to the mice all she wants in my dungeon.

This probably should have been included in the base game for those who do not appreciate having to tolerate Maven's continued survival or ascent to greater power.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/28880

1 hour ago, Just Checking said:

Except maybe for the girl, the one who spends all her time mixing potions.  She might be creepy, but she seems like the only Black-Briar that has a hobby that's not selling drugs to school children or stomping on kittens or something.

Except that her hobby is making deadly poisons.  What or who does she test them on?

19 hours ago, PubliusNV said:

Except that her hobby is making deadly poisons.  What or who does she test them on?

That is true, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt because she doesn't come off as outright malicious, just has a passion for a specific part of her alchemy.  Hell she could probably help Riften an awful lot just by testing her poisons on rats and skeevers that seem to be such a problem what with the massive sewer.  Black-Briar Exterminators, guaranteed to wipe out your infestation, just keep your damn kids away from the poison.

21 hours ago, PubliusNV said:

Rats, mostly, I think.  She has a line about watching the life leave their eyes.

2 hours ago, Just Checking said:

That is true, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt because she doesn't come off as outright malicious, just has a passion for a specific part of her alchemy.  Hell she could probably help Riften an awful lot just by testing her poisons on rats and skeevers that seem to be such a problem what with the massive sewer.  Black-Briar Exterminators, guaranteed to wipe out your infestation, just keep your damn kids away from the poison.

I tend not to hate Ingun either, but I think in some ways she might be worse than her mother. Maven does evil but makes sure it is controlled and doesn't get out of hand. It advances her personal causes, power and wealth but she does also reward those who do what she wants.   Ingun I'm afraid will accidentally create a plague through her experimentation and absentmindedness with no clue how or what to use for a cure.

Since this thread is old enough I won't bother with the poll, but I would probably have to put Heimskr near the top of my hated NPCs list.  Ulfric and Tullius would also be near the top for their incessant chatter (and Tullius' force greets when you are close enough to him) in a non-character and more game mechanic sense. Everyone else you can get around, avoid, ignore or mod to silence (like Brynolf) but I don't see the point in a mod that does a single thing: silence a rambling preacher who should have been to start with.

18 hours ago, karlpaws said:

She has a line about watching the life leave their eyes.

Ingun many don't relies has the class of assassin and I am not convinced she only tests on animals I think she may have done more. It seems by certain dialogs by others in Riften she is different/strange Kinda makes me think there was more planned for her...... Of note Ingun make an excellent follower with her class