A little warning to mod creators of non adult mods....

LordNecris

Guest endgameaddiction

It may not happen today or tomorrow, it may not even happen just yet with FO4 as companies do these pushes slowly, playing the long game. But dollars to donuts, we'll be looking at a future where modders have to pay $120 dollars or more for the game's SDK (because it's an investment now! You can make money with it, so you'd best pay us, suckers!) ontop of having to buy the game and all the official DLC. Mods will be encrypted and cannot be personalized (if it's making them money, they will protect it), they can only be distributed on the company store (the EULA will make sure of that, can't have people browsing something other than the revenue stream, now can we), and modders will be almost forced to charge for their mods to recoup their losses, so you'd best be ready to pony up the dough if you want to mod your games (and eventually we may be outright forced to change, it woulden't be hard for them to say "if you're making stuff with our assets and we're not getting a cut, then that's theft!").

I've said just about the same. And we seem to be on the very same level here.

I just want to point something important out.

If GECK and CK becomes a product to sell because it will be a product that makes you money, people are going to start having to question themselves whether they truly want to mod or not.

If you want to mod, but do not want paywall, you'll have to sacrifice what ever the price tag will be for those tools so you can only share the work with yourself or some private community.

if this tool cost money, will I be able to recover what I spend from not only putting up paywall mods, but mods I have purchased from others? Is this investment really worth it. Notice I said investment. It's coming down to this. Moding as an investment. Not for the joy and pleasure for yourself and others, but as an investment. Which in turn, becomes a hit or miss. A hit if you can create some real quality mods, or a miss if you don't possess enough skill to make something worthwhile. Which draws back to people sharing info and guides.

it's going to be a race. And it's going to cause greed and conflicts. It's not going to be that open community it once was. It's going to bring out more egotistical heads when we already see enough of them on Nexus with free mods up as is.

You'll probably get a Steam credit if you endorse their mod...

I don't think buying mods is necessarily bad

But it is. Think about what it means for the community if you are able to earn real cash with your knowledge alone. Having trouble getting blender or 3DS Max to work with Fallout 4? That's cool dude, I know how to do it but I won't share it because this way I'll be the only one that's able to sell new shit on the workshop. More money for me, fuckers.

If Dota 2 is any indication...

9 pages of guides just from workshop filter. And no accounting for how many non Steam guides.

post-8195-0-32350800-1430152149_thumb.jpg

Maybe those people who make mods for profit are also capable of sharing knowledge?

if theyre going that far with it, i can see them makin it so free mods wont be allowed to be added in future game content.

On the one hand I can see why they'd need to do that (buys paid mod -> uploads to external site -> gets refund for paid mod -> repeat).  On the other hand the fact that they'd need to do that should inform them that their system is shit and shouldn't exist.

Let me tell you where this is going if it actually succeeds, as it is the only direction that this really can go:

"In this world only winter is certain."

You want make some dosh making game content? I say look twords the indie game scene, that's where you can do that. It's not gonna be mods, you will only ever make pocket change from premium mods (and support terrible buisness practices in the process). If you want to go pro, then you need to actually go pro.

6 figure pocket change

#1 Okay so Valve made a bad call and they will likely take a fall for it, i believe i made that point already, what i was trying to address was that people are acting as if betrayed, like all their toys were suddenly taken away. Company's making bad decisions sometimes is hardly anything new and yeah i agree it sucks when strikes close to home, but let's not turn a firecracker into a nuclear bomb.

The market will sort it all on it own by not buying the product, this angry mob mentality is unnecessary.

#2  "No-one is saying anything is wrong with someone receiving money for doing what they like doing. The problem is that people are becoming blinded by money. Money is a means, nothing more, that is all it is."

So the action is not wrong but the result of it is? Money can make people do some weird stuff again nothing new, but it will sort itself out by people not buying what is being offered, no matter if its valve or a mod author trying to sell.

Look you are upset i get it and am sorry if i hurt your feelings and ask that you believe me in saying it was not my intention and i don't believe it was Valves either.  but the mental picture i get from this is a bunch of kids sitting on playground complaining that someone build another playground next to them with less features and an entry fee, but instead of playing and enjoying themselves they will not rest until the other playground is torn down.

And just so we are clear, just because i don't agree with you don't mean that i'm against you or saying Valve made a good call, in fact i agree with most people in saying Valve made a bad business decision.

Money may corrupt but so can angry feelings.   

I'm not angry, and I'm sorry if I offended you. Your previous post made you seem like narcissistic type of person with the "company owes customers nothing" way of thinking. That's why I made that statement because it's honestly a corporation that I would stay far away from if it had that mindset. It's basically looking at customers as numbers and not as people.

I don't have my pitchforks out for this, in fact I agree on things coming out from both ends.

The last example is a bad example honestly, because this is case where people think that they should voice themselves on something to come to a better solution. Your example says that the playground is being torn down, but I don't believe that is the case. In this case, people just want to have that playground tweaked and improved because it's not working in it's current state. Just to throw out an idea, Patreon/Youtube are very good example of a system that would work better than systems. Perhaps there may be some tweaking required, but I'm sure it would work much better than this system.

If people sat and said nothing, everything would be assumed to be okay, no, people have a complete right to say what's on their mind.

As pointed out multiple times, there is a difference in speaking their mind against the right source and the wrong one. Targeting mod authors themselves is obviously not good.

Ok, here is the first ¿adult? mod in steam for sale, is only a maid uniform but I could bet my ridiculous salary that more than one will start stalking Loverslab and steal mods for sale.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=432923904&searchtext=

I can believe it... please guys hide your mods....

Nightasy? Contrary to some glorified crash generator mods, that is actually sad. One of few modders who actually made some goods for those who don't like cow udders everywhere... Sad

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

A scam only works as long as you fall for it. day-1 dlc is often brought up when talking about how companies are greedy yadayada, but for some reason people still buy it, why? Why do you keep pre-ordering? Why must you play everything on release day.

Wanna punish a company? don't buy anything from them, having angry customers is like it or not better for business then having no customers.

That's why pitchforks are raised, we been fooled once. They of course can force it, but at least they won't brag that they fucked us and we smiled when they did it.

But why the need for pitchforks? would a simple: No we don't want it like this / not at all. not do the trick? why are we talking as if the world is going to end or better yet has already ended when it has not.

Unless something drastic like Beth saying all mods must now be on steam behind a paywall that we take cut from, that might/will mean the death of modding, but even with this new rather poor attempt at providing a service to earn money from modding, the only thing that will kill the mod community is the community itself.

Sure the argument can be made that Beth or Valve or what ever can pull the plug anytime they want, and shoot it all down cus them devs so evil yo. but have they? Nope. Will they? Who knows, but i dont' think so.

But sure let's mount the horses light the torches raise our hands and pitchfork and storm the palace and behead the king that will teach them not try new things.

So once again yes V and B fucked up in big a way no argument there but the way the community handled it was not much better, and looking back at this if i was a game dev i would really think twice about opening the door for mod support, because it seems if i do something wrong with it in any way, i better have my last will and testament in order. 

Ok I have a solution for all this...

Modders should sell models already setup for oblivion/skyrim etc aka in nif file format with the needed textures and animations and voice overs setup for followers or quests like generic dialogue voices, nothing in depth just simple depending on the quest or follower. Sell these things on their own pages or on steam with general permissions about restricting their use to only oblivion/skyrim etc but they are not already a mod! these are resources that could be made part of any mod as long as credit is given. Don't allow paid mods instead allow paid resources except really big mods like if zaz, ichabod and some of those total conversion people got together and made something! would love to see that:-)

When big modders do this, everyone will know who made what and if the scum bags on the other side of the world want to upload someone else work it would be obvious they were stolen and taken down right away. This way works good also because it encourages modding more among people that can't make models/textures/voice overs which is the majority of the modding scene.

Not everyone has to make paid resources some things could be free to use only with oblivion/skyrim etc just up to the modder.

Unless something drastic like Beth saying all mods must now be on steam behind a paywall that we take cut from, that might/will mean the death of modding

It would, which is why it will never happen IF the company plans to release more games in the future. The only way I could see them doing it would be if they restricted it to Skyrim only, since it's an already milked cow. If they did it for upcoming games as well, they would recieve nowhere near as many sales as they did with Skyrim since it came out. It's bad business sense, they're not retarded enough to do it.

Ok, here is the first ¿adult? mod in steam for sale, is only a maid uniform but I could bet my ridiculous salary that more than one will start stalking Loverslab and steal mods for sale.

Nightasy? Contrary to some glorified crash generator mods, that is actually sad. One of few modders who actually made some goods for those who don't like cow udders everywhere... Sad

The saddest part is the community's tendency to ostracize those who they once held in esteem.

Reminds me of 2 friends. Upon hearing the other advocated gun rights, decided to end the friendship.

It's as if these people grew horns and started spitting fire. All for a difference in ideology.

why are we talking as if the world is going to end or better yet has already ended when it has not.

Has the world come to an end for an outrage to be justified? I'm afraid that when Bethesda ties modding tools to Steam it may be a little late for a reaction.

Well no but forgive me for saying that i don't think burning the world to ground in order to save it qualify as a productive solution.

I don't even want get personal with my own situation pathetic as it is , people will laugh at my own setup and go " really ?" .

Just stating not all mod makers are so well off or were born in Western First World  Countries , Because attacking Mod Makers is really not a solution at this point .

People are not asking the right questions all are going for hatred thats my issue with the scenario

Zaz... this is precisely why you should be dead-set against this. I'm in pretty much the same situation, i'm on disabillity and have barely a penny to my name, and i'm running Skyrim on an old hunk of junk that can just barely run the game. And please know that i'm saying the following without agression or malice.

Let me tell you where this is going if it actually succeeds, as it is the only direction that this really can go:

If companies start to see this as a viable revenue stream, one that is entirely favourable to them (they do none of the work, but take most of the money), they are going to protect it, they are going to force it, and they are going to charge for it. 

It may not happen today or tomorrow, it may not even happen just yet with FO4 as companies do these pushes slowly, playing the long game. But dollars to donuts, we'll be looking at a future where modders have to pay $120 dollars or more for the game's SDK (because it's an investment now! You can make money with it, so you'd best pay us, suckers!) ontop of having to buy the game and all the official DLC. Mods will be encrypted and cannot be personalized (if it's making them money, they will protect it), they can only be distributed on the company store (the EULA will make sure of that, can't have people browsing something other than the revenue stream, now can we), and modders will be almost forced to charge for their mods to recoup their losses, so you'd best be ready to pony up the dough if you want to mod your games (and eventually we may be outright forced to change, it woulden't be hard for them to say "if you're making stuff with our assets and we're not getting a cut, then that's theft!").

To support this just to make a little bit of pocket change today is shortsighted beyond the pale, and is completely ignoring all the benifits that we all currently enjoy from modding beeing free (and especially the gamer on a tight budget). This will end up costing you so much more than it could ever earn you in the long run, i can just about garuentee it.. and yes, that includes the abillity to make and play the kind of mods you actually want to make (the pervy kind! There's no way that's going to fly on the company store).

Look, i get the temptation, the only thing i got out of the last DDx release was 3 likes on my release post, and then more than a solid months worth of having to do free tech-support for users who refused to read anything before posting. Yeah, this can be a really thankless gig at times, it really can.

But you need to look at the bigger picture here, at all that free modding has given us, and give it a good long hard think before you sell that down the river for a bit of Valve's castoff pocket change.

You want make some dosh making game content? I say look twords the indie game scene, that's where you can do that. It's not gonna be mods, you will only ever make pocket change from premium mods (and support terrible buisness practices in the process). If you want to go pro, then you need to actually go pro.

I was really not for the paid mods either I don't Fully agree with the current system , What I was against was the hate spewed against Mod Makers cause there was no other option for people to lash out against Valve/Beth but took it out on the Mod Makers . Without understanding the situation of said mod makers . Where even the pocket change counts perhaps......

The Right Questions are not being asked here

People Keep talking about donations and adding a donation button, how many people actually do support the said mod author again it depends on the situation of the said Mod Users which I can agree upon.

So I will copy paste what I discussed with fellow mod makers else where

post-8713-0-70015300-1430156080_thumb.png

post-8713-0-87083100-1430156377_thumb.jpg

The thought of straying away for a second and receiving so much hate and considered a villain  is something that kinda bugged me is all .

Obviously None of ZAP Assets  Will ever be allowed to be charged for or hosted on Steam  that was the first thing I changed in my own mod description since this whole Fiasco Began

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/17062-zaz-animation-pack-2015-02-10/

I don't have an issue with Paid Mods entirely, as long as there are Sites like Nexus/LL etc that can serve Free Mods .

I simply will make sure that our own mod doesn't doesn't use paid assets........ this is me giving back to LoversLab not Steam not Beth... for what I learned here and the time I was/will be here  

The saddest part is the community's tendency to ostracize those who they once held in esteem.

Reminds me of 2 friends. Upon hearing the other advocated gun rights, decided to end the friendship.

It's as if these people grew horns and started spitting fire. All for a difference in ideology.

Funny (Sad really) how quickly the world can turn black and white as a result of someone not agreeing with someone else.

I don't even want get personal with my own situation pathetic as it is , people will laugh at my own setup and go " really ?" .

Just stating not all mod makers are so well off or were born in Western First World  Countries , Because attacking Mod Makers is really not a solution at this point .

People are not asking the right questions all are going for hatred thats my issue with the scenario

Zaz... this is precisely why you should be dead-set against this. I'm in pretty much the same situation, i'm on disabillity and have barely a penny to my name, and i'm running Skyrim on an old hunk of junk that can just barely run the game. And please know that i'm saying the following without agression or malice.

If companies start to see this as a viable revenue stream, one that is entirely favourable to them (they do none of the work, but take most of the money), they are going to protect it, they are going to force it, and they are going to charge for it. 

To support this just to make a little bit of pocket change today is shortsighted beyond the pale, and is completely ignoring all the benifits that we all currently enjoy from modding beeing free (and especially the gamer on a tight budget). This will end up costing you so much more than it could ever earn you in the long run, i can just about garuentee it.. and yes, that includes the abillity to make and play the kind of mods you actually want to make (the pervy kind! There's no way that's going to fly on the company store).

Look, i get the temptation, the only thing i got out of the last DDx release was 3 likes on my release post, and then more than a solid months worth of having to do free tech-support for users who refused to read anything before posting. Yeah, this can be a really thankless gig at times, it really can.

But you need to look at the bigger picture here, at all that free modding has given us, and give it a good long hard think before you sell that down the river for a bit of Valve's castoff pocket change.

I was really not for the paid mods either I don't Fully agree with the current system , What I was against was the hate spewed against Mod Makers cause there was no other option for people to lash out against Valve/Beth but took it out on the Mod Makers . Without understanding the situation of said mod makers . Where even the pocket change counts perhaps......

People Keep talking about donations and adding a donation button, how many people actually do support the said mod author again it depends on the situation of the said Mod Users which I can agree upon.

attachicon.gifZaZ Post.png

attachicon.gifZaZ Post 2.jpg

The thought of straying away for a second and receiving so much hate and considered a villain  is something that kinda bugged me is all .

Obviously None of ZAP Assets  Will ever be allowed to be charged for or hosted on Steam  that was the first thing I changed in my own mod description since this whole Fiasco Began

I don't have an issue with Paid Mods entirely, as long as there are Sites like Nexus/LL etc that can serve Free Mods .

I simply will make sure that our own mod doesn't doesn't use paid assets........ this is me giving back to LoversLab not Steam not Beth... for what I learned here and the time I was/will be here  

yay for you zaz...btw do you accept anything other than papal for donations. my account got screwed yrs ago and sadly i dont have it anymore. [just figerd id take the opportunity to ask]

Even with all this madness I cant help but love skyrim and its mods. Just looking at all them free mods on here and the nexus just makes me happy. And also it sure is nice to see people fighting back against this, in a not so threatening way if you catch my drift, so thats nice. I think we all just need a big wet hug! DONT ASK ME WHY ITS WET! JUST TAKE IT!

But seriously, its kinda hard to see all them good stuff when everything isnt good and is like a snowball turd getting bigger and bigger and is starting to smell worse because its a snowball turd, but its always good to see the good side of things too...I mean hey still here, still making mods here and on the nexus that much hasnt changed...

Well no but forgive me for saying that i don't think burning the world to ground in order to save it qualify as a productive solution.

Well, no. On the other hand, if we were to limit our reaction to murmuring "dashed poor show, that. I may have to reconsider my spending plan", then it's unlikely that our dissatisfaction would even be noticed.

And honestly, I do think this is one case where we need to make our feelings clear. I mean I'm open to suggestions for more effective ways to do that...

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

A scam only works as long as you fall for it. day-1 dlc is often brought up when talking about how companies are greedy yadayada, but for some reason people still buy it, why? Why do you keep pre-ordering? Why must you play everything on release day.

Wanna punish a company? don't buy anything from them, having angry customers is like it or not better for business then having no customers.

That's why pitchforks are raised, we been fooled once. They of course can force it, but at least they won't brag that they fucked us and we smiled when they did it.

But why the need for pitchforks? would a simple: No we don't want it like this / not at all. not do the trick? why are we talking as if the world is going to end or better yet has already ended when it has not.

Unless something drastic like Beth saying all mods must now be on steam behind a paywall that we take cut from, that might/will mean the death of modding, but even with this new rather poor attempt at providing a service to earn money from modding, the only thing that will kill the mod community is the community itself.

Sure the argument can be made that Beth or Valve or what ever can pull the plug anytime they want, and shoot it all down cus them devs so evil yo. but have they? Nope. Will they? Who knows, but i dont' think so.

But sure let's mount the horses light the torches raise our hands and pitchfork and storm the palace and behead the king that will teach them not try new things.

So once again yes V and B fucked up in big a way no argument there but the way the community handled it was not much better, and looking back at this if i was a game dev i would really think twice about opening the door for mod support, because it seems if i do something wrong with it in any way, i better have my last will and testament in order. 

Because a logical train of events could indeed mean "mods must be steam installed only" and only by making sure this idea receives no or little community support from those who actually make the content (for Valve and Bethesda to sell)  can such a possibility be curtailed.

Also - if Bethesda decides not to make a game modable or mod-tool; would the end result truly be different from most mod-users than if it was behind paywall or steam only? I mean either gobble up their business idea or have no modding tool? When you see the overall quality of vanilla Bethesda games and the longevity they have after modded - Bethesda has no incentive to not support modding.

But if they can DRM modding, and put it behind a paywall - that there is a huge incentive to do.

So there's practically no incentive to not do what ever little consumers can do to protest the idea - such as waving pitchforks which we all know "we" don't actually have.

The only weapon we have towards the company is to complain loudly (forum posts, review dumping etc) and not buy. And not buying will ultimately be the same result as having no mods because there's no game. So complaining is the only viable weapon a consumer has.

However, the weapon mod creators have is to not participate and to exercise peer pressure amongst themselves. And that's why mod users target modders who participate in this. And that's where communities such as Nexsus and yes, LL, comes into play. No quality mod creators participating (or very few) means the idea is dead and is dead in a manner in which it can stay dead.

Mod creators hold the key here - not Valve, not Bethesda.

And in the end - allowing this will hurt modders as much as it will the mod users, save perhaps a select few who has the quality but for the rest it'll be lousy re-skins and texture replacement and the remainder will go away

So personally - I can accept people waving pitchforks for this because it's long overdue and was something that already needed to have happened when it came to DLC and especially zero-day DLCs. But then "we" basically had no effective weapons at all.

But now they move into an area where "we" (or rather you) can indeed make a difference.

I'll say again - mod creators have weapons here. That's why people (mod-users) target the participants, feel betrayed by the participants - because it used to be a community (more or less friendly, but that's more a general internet thing these days) and that inherent trust can so quickly go away when money becomes the pivot point

attachicon.gifZaZ Post.png

attachicon.gifZaZ Post 2.jpg

yay for you zaz...btw do you accept anything other than papal for donations. my account got screwed yrs ago and sadly i dont have it anymore. [just figerd id take the opportunity to ask]

I live in a country where , paypal "donations" are not  accepted ( Cause of the Massive Scams ) the only way paypal works is if the payment is sent as "services rendered", sorry I do not know any other way sadly .

I read that some modders took down their mods from nexus and other sites fearing someone evil will download them and put them on the steam workshop sale to make profit.

Anybody know who are those modders and what mod were taken down?

I read that some modders took down their mods from nexus and other sites fearing someone evil will download them and put them on the steam workshop sale to make profit.

Which is not unlikely to happen. I bet many second grade modders have this tiny angel vs tiny devil kind of arguments going over their shoulders.

- No, this is wrong, you shouldn't do this!

- But but but but BUT it's just this small mesh, who cares, most likely no one will even notice!

Archived