A little warning to mod creators of non adult mods....

LordNecris

Don't kid yourselves, this isn't a victory. They took something from you and then gave it back broken. Their experiment have failed this time but there will no doubt be a next time. At least some of you could see the true nature of these companies.

I agree with bjornk, this might be a win for the first battle for paid mods. But I personally don't think this is going away. Give them some time and they will try again I believe. Hopefully this at least as slowed it down enough that for the next ES or FO game it won't be a major issue for it.

And maybe we will figure out a more cohesive way of dealing with it when it happens again .. I wonder if we can sell pitchforks with the LL logo on it 

Well. modding for money is hypocritical in the purest sense on all the fronts who favor it.

Just imagine:

Modder A makes mod and it’s free.  Modder B uses Modder A’s assets for his own mod and wants to charge for it.

That’s when Modder A says,”You know what?  Charging for what’ve I made is a great idea.  Go ahead and send me everything you’ve made using my assets and I’ll be the one to upload it to Steam and I’ll be the one who gets paid for it.”

Is Modder B going to go along with that scheme?  Him charging for someone’s work is okay.  Someone else charging for what he made isn’t.  Suddenly charging for mods isn’t such a great idea to Modder B.

Anyway, the 25/75 split is joke and so is the $400.00 quota before the modder makes one penny.  That is a gerbil wheel sales floor mentality.

‘Let’s fill every cubicle with a warm body and get them generating sales.  Anyone who doesn’t hit the $400.00 quota gets no fee and we get to keep everything.  $390.00 last month?  Though shit.  We get to keep your percentage because you didn’t perform.’

Then there is Steam bucks scam; refunds and modder payouts are in Valve Monopoly money, not dollars or Euros.  That means Steam/Valve is taking quantitative funds and exchanging them for a currency THEY determine the value of; a qualitative currency with no real worth.  What happens with the real money?  They keep it and draw interest on it in a 90 day banking cycle and the people stuck with these ‘Steam Dollars’ get nothing, since Valve is treating those Steam accounts due funds as demand accounts.  In other words, your 100 Steam bucks stays that way indefinitely because it isn’t real money and you are not owed interest.  THEY keep the interest.  Depending on the rate, a paltry $100K quarter for a big fish like Valve turns into a serious payday after a 90 day cycle for stuff they didn’t make (mods).  And they don’t have to make any payouts in real cash.

Paying for mods and modding for money a bad idea.

"You're a star-belly sneech

You suck like a leach

You want everyone to act like you

Kiss ass while you bitch

So you can get rich

But your boss gets richer off you..."

-Jello Biafra-

Beth statement right here. I'm sure there's a lot to pick at, but the anti-DRM stance in it is hopeful.

Well well well it would seem that big bad Bethesda is not gonna take all our toys away after all.

seriously tho, fully knowing there is a thing called damage control, this do look pretty damn sincere, would have liked to see an admission of the way it was suddenly presented and how that could have been handled smoother. but hey shits happens. 

This is why you rage at the machine and shake pitch forks ... If it isnt right .

Now all we need to do is figure out how we can repay people who have our backs like Ashal  and struggling talents like zaz ... That seems right to me .  we need an easier way to say thanks with monetary recompense for those who can afford it , a few coins from many pockets adds up fast.

If you wanna take this as victory over the system or sticking it to the man then by all means rejoice, but i will still stick to my belief that this could have been resolved without the need for crying bloody murder! 

but none the less the change was recalled. and whether or it was Valve and Beth saying this is just not worth the hasel or if it really was the violent outcry of very angry people, like a child screaming at the top of it lungs for icecream until the parent finally caves in just get some peace, will likely never be known fully,

Let's list some names.

People who gained lot of respect in my books. Really deserve to be praised.

-Fore, who said NO and NO

-DarkRider. TESA has been invited by Valve as service provider just like Nexus, except he didn't accepted the offer.

HERE

"To be a service provider a site has to get the invite. We had an invite, we did not accept, and would not accept because paid mods violate the tenets of our site.

As I said, we respect a modder's right to choose, but our choice for TESA is to remain free. That is our official stance."

See Nexus? For someone with balls and real love for modding wasn't that difficult to say NO to be a provider and take part at all in this shit.

-Emma on Bethesda Forum. HER POST is priceless.

-nerdofpray the Bethesda Beggar mod must be supported

And now the biggest jerks I've seen so far:

-Xilverbulet  of Midas Money putting pop-ups "buy my mod" in the free mod, biggest jerk move that clearly picture the character.

HERE

-Frozunswaidon acting like a jerk not granting permissions while he was seeking permissions to sell his mods. "What do I win?" A big FUCK.

HERE

-The SkyUI guy , just squalid.

"they are used to it, they would want to rip my head off if I tried to take it away"

So you let the outdated version around otherwise we would think that you are a complete jerk… Why would we have to think that?

-All the bunch on workshop waiting for some fool to pay for their shit. To all of you a BIG middle finger! Won't see a dime from me, EVER.

If anyone has some other names, please list them.

I would like to add the SKSE team to the people who gained a huge amount of respect for not being a Service Provider, as I understood the posting on their website: 

3. We will not receive any partial payment from those sales.

And after reading this thread to the end:

Caliente for the statement

So, some information about the recent developments in modding.

- No file contained in the BodySlide and CBBE archives are to be sold for monetary gain anywhere.

- Outfits including the CBBE body are not to be sold.

Thanks for adding these too, Caliente I knew as allright, some other pointed out the name.

Good to know which of the big names, that may have more profited of the situation, didn't jump on the running wagon elbowing their way ahead.

And also the jerks that won't see help ever from me.

Guest endgameaddiction

Yeah, this is a victory for Skyrim community, but doesn't mean this can't happen to Fallout 4. I guess it's time to roll plan B, beth... Unleash the trailer to Fallout 4 already.

I see a major flaw in your thought process. You are obviously assuming that the old version will be available for download indefinitelly.

Schlangster can take the old version down any second after releasing 5.0.

I'm sure somone will make a backup of 4.1 and reupload it somewhere, but Schlangster will then file DMCA complaint. One after another.

He will keep doing so until all old version are gone from legal websites making torrents the only source of 4.1 and making distribution of 4.1 illegal.

Very sad.

The internet is a very large place, and pirates tend to not care about legal complaints.

Yes, it is, and I have no doubts that there will always be a pirate copy to download.

Just keep in mind, that using a pirate version of anything and recommending people to do the same can't be done legally and officially.

Imagine someone asking for help on the forums: "Guys, for some reason I can't download this game from Steam, something wrong with the server I think".

Then imagine someone replying with "here's a link to pirated and properly cracked version of this game".

Yes, this answer totally solves the problem.

But it will get you banned from most forums. Also when it comes to Steam they have your credit card information already so it's even more risky.

Yeah i suspect they will try again, but as far as Bethesda is concearned, it won't end well for them..

The reason Valve got away with it with games like TF2 is that Valve releases good games. If they are your taste or not, they are atleast solid and fully working products that pleases their fanbases, and the toolset's and engine features Valve have provided are solid. TF2 was already a good game, so when users could make and sell hats for it? People were not too upset, as you didn't need a hat to enjoy the game. And when it went free-to-play and even more stuff could be sold, it didn't seem a big deal because the game was F2P and we understand that F2P games have to make their dosh somehow.

Bethesda's games are almost the exact opposite. It's a big open world that is completely and utterly broken on release every single damned time, and that we know from bitter experiance that the Dev will never ever fix. There's the foundation for a good game there, we're just not beeing given it, and have to make it ourselves. And the toolset? The engine features? We have to make most of that ourselves too! We need to make things like SKSE or the engine's limited featureset won't let us do much of anything, we need to make things like FNIS or we can't even add anims to things, we need to make and update tools like NifScope and the various Blender/Max exporters or we woulden't even be able to deal with meshes, and on and on.. and for the game itself? We at the very least need to make the unofficial patches and mem-fixes, etc etc, that will even let the thing run for more that an houer before crashing.

TF2 starts at "Ohh this is nice.. well i guess i could buy a hat too, even support some modder with it, sure!".

Skyrim starts at "Ohh dear fucking god... it's been 8 grueling days of research, downloads, tweaks and despair, but i FINALLY have the game up and running somewhat stable, and in a state where i can start modding it.. wait, WTF!? After all this shit, i need to pay for the mods too? You go to hell! You go to hell and you die!!".

:lol:

The fallout from this is enough. It seems like a victory. But it feels like there was so much damage done with just those few days. Modders who have put their mods behind paywalls probably wont be able to save face (cough skyui cough), and hopefully they've fucked off. 

Although, not Chesko, i feel for the guy, he really didnt need death threats and all that on his way.

They will most definitely try again in the future

But today the battle is won, for now let's celebrate with some nord mead and prepare for the future battles ahead tomorrow

Edit: For the TF2 hat comparison, I think it works because hats will always work, hats don't break save games, hats won't have incompatibility or hidden bugs or stolen code. Hats are exactly what you see on the tin, a hat.

Well the battle is over and nobody really won. Valve and beth failed to do anything properly before they started all this and the community is permanently harmed by the whole thing. This has all been lose lose for everyone. This also proves what I have suspected for a long time now, there are no more genuine, smart and well rounded people in corporations only cut throat dummies that just want to keep their jobs. Corporations are failing from within, there used to be smart people in the work force that would have figured this stuff out and did it right the first time but not anymore.

Real value can be assigned to creativity and making new or somewhat new things. Modern technology will replace labor and repetitive tasks but people are not robots and robots don't get paid! so in order to make any real "growth" as a company these execs need to realize the obvious and find ways to promote and monetize creativity in a way that everyone can agree on before it is too late. Non essential industries don't last long in a bad economy and they know it but they do dumb things anyway which doesn't make any sense.

These are some telling times we are living in.

I think ultimately valve and beth caved on this because they are now in a defensive mode worried about sales of the next beth games. They know their customers are right about how buggy and badly made their past games are and what if the next game is badly made too? or what if the next game is some shitty off the wall idea that doesn't fly like super zombie meat nazis wolfenstein edition or something stupid like that?

I bet that is what they plan to release, some shitty new ip that nobody wants because the demand for a modern, new fallout or skyrim is so great and modders are chomping at the bit to make total conversions of past games into this modern engine, they don't want to see some "other" game right now.

Yeah I bet they are gonna gamble on some new ip that should have been released later instead of now so they are worried about lost sales. They know people are sheep and will buy the next fallout or skyrim but they don't know what people will do with a new ip.

That is what I am talking about the community is permanently harmed by this, now some of the community might advocate for replacing skyui with something else developed by someone "trustworthy" so this doesn't happen again like it won't lol. People are pissed and now they are gonna be pissed at certain others. This might also make people stop playing beth games for a while as in years. Mods won't be made that might have been and community activity might decrease. Even evil nexus will see a drop in activity and loss in ad revenue. This whole thing was really stupid it will cost everyone money and community and those things won't come back to some extent they are gone forever now.

While we were all busy arguing over mods for sale on the internet, people who live in reality outside of the internet were busy fighting the police and each other: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/27/gangs-vow-to-target-police-as-baltiomore-protests-spread/

People in baltimore maryland are going nuts! burning down buildings and looting malls they have spread across many miles this is not just one cvs store anymore. The situation is worse now that it is night time there and a big fire is raging on tv it looks really bad.

This is proof that people have lost confidence in govt, the authorities, and the economy. It won't be long now before something similar happens somewhere else. For once I am glad I live in a crappy area nobody cares about instead of a downtown kind of area or a nice neighborhood.

Guest endgameaddiction

Yea we fucking did it, and without losing anybody (expect Chesko/Kaidan Alenko, who dies in the first chapter of the history) and if they want to come back, we will be ready this time..

https://youtu.be/lJbsR3gx19Q?t=5m30s

Lets not be too harsh (trying so hard not to be sarcastic here) everyone deserves a second chance. Or maybe some of them do in my book.

While we were all busy arguing over mods for sale on the internet, people who live in reality outside of the internet were busy fighting the police and each other: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/27/gangs-vow-to-target-police-as-baltiomore-protests-spread/

People in baltimore maryland are going nuts! burning down buildings and looting malls they have spread across many miles this is not just one cvs store anymore. The situation is worse now that it is night time there and a big fire is raging on tv it looks really bad.

This is proof that people have lost confidence in govt, the authorities, and the economy. It won't be long now before something similar happens somewhere else. For once I am glad I live in a crappy area nobody cares about instead of a downtown kind of area or a nice neighborhood.

Hey look, someone who watches Fox News.  I'm going to point and laugh now. 

Yea we fucking did it, and without losing anybody (expect Chesko/Kaidan Alenko, who dies in the first chapter of the history) and if they want to come back, we will be ready this time..

https://youtu.be/lJbsR3gx19Q?t=5m30s

Lets not be too harsh (trying so hard not to be sarcastic here) everyone deserves a second chance. Or maybe some of them do in my book.

Even the magic pop-up adds stunt guy? lol

Archived