A little warning to mod creators of non adult mods....

LordNecris

Well imho, the modders who did put up their Work on steam obivously thought something is better than nothing

Well I don't see how those particular modders on Steam right now deserve "better than nothing" while others who have spent countless more hours working on their mods completely refuse to sell out. I mean ZaZ, let's consider what kind of mods are on the market over there, it's just meshes and textures. Wet and Cold okay, a script heavy mod whose technical support was already flaky on Nexus, I don't even dare to think about how it'll go to sell itself. 

If someone like you or Ashal, or skyrimll who make frameworks needing countless updates, animation work, script work, mesh work, even voice acting sometimes (with the according audio editing) went and asked for money I would understand. It'd be even honest, if I had the knowledge that all the money would pass to you of course, and not to Corporation X. But paying 5 dollars to see my breath when it's cold and have a fucked up script equip fur hoods on my NPCs, or see my character make a T-Pose while holding a fishing rod near a river ? I mean come on. 

Ah, I don't support the Idea fully, the logic some people are using here donations would have been better option and I agree with that as well , but in all honesty how many people actually donate to a deserving  mod author , the mod authors are not entitled to it certainly but some of these guys aren't that well off financially RL and wouldn't mind some sort additional income, even petty cash would work.

I do it too just not on any Beth Games , I do in Second Life , trust me every cent counts when its important . I could use some of the earnings to Upgrade my PC for example .

Mod Makers have absolutely no right to demand donations , What valve/beth are doing is shit , but the mod maker will recieve more than what donations could offer (I dont agree with the 75/25 thing though and the ridiculous price for a follower mod )

Also few of them did promise to release the free versions later on 

There are tons of complications though , with mods getting stolen and so forth but thats another topic .

Cheers

Better than nothing, huh? Except they don't realize that this will destroy PC modding for good, and then Steam will pack up their shit and sell it all for a dollar. I'm sure they'll still think it's better that nothing.

Once the PC modding has been destroyed, there will be no such thing as a "mod", they will be called "3rd party DLCs" and will be sold as such.

Imo that proves there IS a community. Most of the modding community stands united against this atrocity. 

Edit: Lol he is getting trashed too. 

I think he's so thoroughly convinced that he's in the right that even the voices of 65,000 people yelling "YOU ARE WRONG, SWITCH IT BACK!" are just a whisper in the wind compared to that .25 cent bling. Out of touch doesn't begin to describe it.

Dude is a delusional sellout. Nothing more, nothing less.

Read a Forbes article about that DayZ dev saying that modders ought to be paid. At what price? How without wrecking the goodwill made with the rest of the community? Yes, it should be the donation button but Valve thinks otherwise.

As for SkyUi...

post-95254-0-59591500-1429966452_thumb.jpg

Better than nothing, huh? Except they don't realize that this will destroy PC modding for good, and then Steam will pack up their shit and sell it all for a dollar. I'm sure they'll still think it's better that nothing.

Once the PC modding has been destroyed, there will be no such thing as a "mod", they will be called "3rd party DLCs" and will be sold as such.

Like I said I don't support the Idea , Beth/Valve are going about it the wrong way ,I don't agree to hatred spewed towards the mod makers thats all . 

One wrong move and you have death threats etc , People will fear uploading mods on steam workshop for free too 

thats what I dont approve of

Modding is a community activity. Even though most of the work is done by the actual author or a group of authors, many people help the development of a mod with their ideas, QA testing and bug fixing and technical support. Some of those modders completely ignore the help they've got from the community through years. I've personally helped those SkyUI guys with a bug they weren't able to figure out. Their attitude is just pathetic and it discourages people to help others in developing mods. As I've said multiple times, this is the end of modding.

I don't think so, but it will divide the community. 

There will be a paid and free community. 

This, not to mention very possible flood of low quality mods. No guarantees that those mods will work or won't corrupt your game. This whole system currently "as is" is a disaster and failure on all frontiers. What makes PC different from consoles, if mods are going to be paid only\mostly paid or just hidden behind a paywall?

There will be no such thing as a "free" community, modding communities were that and they no longer are. LL and adult mods are the only exception.

I'm pretty sure there will be, judging from the massive backlash and the number of mod creators already stating they will not charge for their mods. 

Ah, I don't support the Idea fully, the logic some people are using here donations would have been better option and I agree with that as well , but in all honesty how many people actually donate to a deserving  mod author , the mod authors are not entitled to it certainly but some of these guys aren't that well off financially RL and wouldn't mind some sort additional income, even petty cash would work.

I do it too just not on any Beth Games , I do in Second Life , trust me every cent counts when its important . I could use some of the earnings to Upgrade my PC for example .

Mod Makers have absolutely no right to demand donations , What valve/beth are doing is shit , but the mod maker will recieve more than what donations could offer (I dont agree with the 75/25 thing though and the ridiculous price for a follower mod )

Also few of them did promise to release the free versions later on 

There are tons of complications though , with mods getting stolen and so forth but thats another topic .

Cheers

It's hard to produce estimate considering the early stage of the bullshit (decided to refer to this crap by simply "bullshit" from now on), but I don't agree with the fact modders on Steam would get more than others get with donations. Maybe this was the wake up call for actual donations to happen, and for donations and crowd funding to become more obvious in mod descriptions everywhere. But looking at the rates archetype, plus taking into account the terrifying information circulating around that the 400$ threshold Valve and Beth will take before starting to give you your percentage resets every fucking month... The earnings would be so miserable that they'd not in any way help anyone to upgrade his PC or help in whatever significant way his modding capacity. And modders can actually demand donations, this was accepted legally 2 years ago ! Maybe not "demand" but making donations procedures easy and available on their mod pages is something that they can do, and it does works for a number of modders. 

HOWEVER, his reputation would become so tarnished, so irrevocably tainted by this whole bullshit, that donations, if donations he had before, would almost stop. I don't think a lot of people in their right mind would donate to an author who's selling his works on Steam.

Which means, simply put : 

Pros - Modder is paid for his work "thanks" to the paywall. 

Cons  - Modder is paid a fucking RIDICULOUSLY small amount, so ridiculous that

- He can't increase his modding capacity in any way thanks to it while 

-Loosing credibility to the proven majority (maybe I'm being an ass, but looking at the outrage it looks like the majority of players are against this bullshit)

- Loosing his chance to get any raise on his donations

-Restraining the number of modders he can work with in the future (if Fores is setting an example, this is going to be Sparta versus Athenes on the modding scene). 

I'm noticing a whole lot of points in the "cons" category, it's just not worth it, and I'm sad about the modders who jumped in this thinking it was a good opportunity, while not thinking about the long term consequences. And Valve KNEW this, that's why they picked modders and asked them not to reveal it before the whole bullshit began, they knew what kind of outrage would spawn from all this, they're sacrificing modders like Chesko so they can feel the heat and move accordingly. I'd be happy normally if idiots got what they deserved for being idiots, but in this particular case it's modders, who are being literally raped without even noticing it, simply because they're not used to mercantilism as this was only their hobby. Chesko is only the first in line, who's to say how many modders will give up modding altogether when they realize they're being played and that their reputation is forever fucked ? 

I don't think it's the end of modding or whatever apocalyptic nutjobs are saying all over the place, but it sure is going to turn everything to shit. 

Was to be expected.

j6DKPUP.jpg

Arthmoor signed up for the paid mod scheme? I am surprised. He may be a grumpy bastard, but he's always had his principles.

Then again, if Chesko's opt-out letter is anything to go by, I think the initial sign-ups for the scheme were played. I mean Chesko initially though he was getting 75% and it wasn't until just before the scheme went live that Valve clarified that particular point. Then there was the $400 threshold. Now it transpires that the $400 limit resets every month. I think this was a con job from the word go.

That's my objection to the whole thing really. That and the divisive effect on the community as a whole. I don't think anyone here would begrudge mod creators making a few pennies from their hard work, but this isn't the way to go about it.

Was to be expected.

snip

Arthmoor signed up for the paid mod scheme? I am surprised. He may be a grumpy bastard, but he's always had his principles.

Then again, if Chesko's opt-out letter is anything to go by, I think the initial sign-ups for the scheme were played. I mean Chesko initially though he was getting 75% and it wasn't until just before the scheme went live that Valve clarified that particular point. Then there was the $400 threshold. Now it transpires that the $400 limit resets every month. I think this was a con job from the word go.

That's my objection to the whole thing really. That and the divisive effect on the community as a whole. I don't think anyone here would begrudge mod creators making a few pennies from their hard work, but this isn't the way to go about it.

Of course it was played. You don't have a major launch without guests, Vavle and Bethseda have most likely been working on this for months. You sign your mod up, they launch and you get screwed.

I found this in the comment of the SkyUi page written by someone called seventonblade

"They won't even be able to buy a cheeseburger. All that measly 25% that modders make goes into the modmaker's Steam wallet, and that's on top of their mods being ripped from their ownership, which means Valve can basically issue a DMCA takedown to the Nexus if, say, SkyUI v5.0 were uploaded here at the same time as on the Workshop, even if by schlangster himself.

This can only spell absolute doom if the trend continues and grows, and I have no respect for schlangster if he continues to support this system that is both legally and ethically bankrupt."

If this is true, then all those modders just threw themselves right into Hell.

This isn't about modders v players, no matter how it's framed. Imo, modders maybe deserve reliable playtesters, precise bug reports, and fewer people who fuck up their own install. But no, what really 'breathes new life' into modding is the idea that our work is to be validated by chump change, extra hassle, and signing away any say over your work. Not to mention losing the respect of your peers. You got bills? I got bills too, so what.

This X 1000. And good goddamn luck paying your bills with valvebuxx$$$$$. The fact that people read the goddamn headlines "Modders Now Ger Rewarded For Their Work!" and look no deeper, then declare people who protest the whole rotten thing as "entitled." Gah. The only people making real spendable cash in this is bethesda and valve.

It's not the end of modding, it's not even the end of free modding, but it it exactly what Fore said it was: "The end of a working and inventive mod community." Emphasis on the community. It's a goddamn feeding frenzy now. 

I never really liked Arthmoor to begin with, but I didn't expect him to jump into this bandwagon. I trully hope it doesn't affect the pretty much essential unofficial patches in any way. This could be my biggest fear so far with the whole situation.

I found this in the comment of the SkyUi page written by someone called seventonblade

"They won't even be able to buy a cheeseburger. All that measly 25% that modders make goes into the modmaker's Steam wallet, and that's on top of their mods being ripped from their ownership, which means Valve can basically issue a DMCA takedown to the Nexus if, say, SkyUI v5.0 were uploaded here at the same time as on the Workshop, even if by schlangster himself.

This can only spell absolute doom if the trend continues and grows, and I have no respect for schlangster if he continues to support this system that is both legally and ethically bankrupt."

If this is true, then all those modders just threw themselves right into Hell.

Oh look who has locked the comment section of SkyUI?

Well newsflash Dante.........its going to be happening a load more me thinks.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3863/?tab=4&&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D3863%26page%3D1%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D499516&pUp=1

Archived