Mass Effect 3

HanPL

In the Temple of Athame on Thessia the player gets informed by Vendetta, a Prothean VI, about succeeding cycles that have tried to develop the Crucible and that the implementation of the Catalyst would end this cycle, meaning a restart at zero.

Such a restart at zero would mean the end of all advanced civilizations, of the biological races as well as of machine races, not just of some, a classical lose-lose scenario to make way for a new cycle to repeat the story, leaving nothing but artifacts, only the true fate of our real universe is more worse. That's the last little detail Vendetta simply forget to tell Shep on the cusp of the game conduit, the linear end of the Mass Effect story.

And that's indeed what we've got at the dreamlike end of the Mass Effect triology. The strange way in which the makers have tried to handle the cycle problem, the introduction of the hallucinogenic Toy God in all of us, well, that's a different kettle of fish though.

A variation of the theme is the so-called Indoctrination Theory, in which large parts of the game are to be understood as dream sequences (nobody except Shep interacts with the child etc.) to solve the inner conflict in Shep's conscious mind between the parts that are not yet controlled by the Reapers and those that are already.

This is a fascinating variation, but one that is miles above the head of the average player that is trained to believe exclusively in what he sees... at the surface of things.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Tbghjn7_Byc

I don't have made a final decision for myself yet cos I'd probably need ten times as much time as I've spent on the game as such (i.e 20 hours) if not much more to solve a possible Harbinger Riddle in Mass Effect 3. For now I take the game as well designed, badly animated and ending with a frustrating headshot. Though on balance it's worth the money.

In the Temple of Athame on Thessia the player gets informed by Vendetta' date=' a Prothean VI, about succeeding cycles that have tried to develop the Crucible and that the implementation of the Catalyst would end this cycle, meaning a restart at zero.

Such a restart at zero would mean the end of all advanced civilizations, of the biological races as well as of machine races, not just of some, a classical lose-lose scenario to make way for a new cycle to repeat the story, leaving nothing but artifacts, only the true fate of our real universe is more worse. That's the last little detail Vendetta simply forget to tell Shep on the cusp of the game conduit, the linear end of the Mass Effect story.

And that's indeed what we've got at the dreamlike end of the Mass Effect triology. The strange way in which the makers have tried to handle the cycle problem, the introduction of the hallucinogenic Toy God in all of us, well, that's a different kettle of fish though.

A variation of the theme is the so-called Indoctrination Theory, in which large parts of the game are to be understood as dream sequences (nobody except Shep interacts with the child etc.) to solve the inner conflict in Shep's conscious mind between the parts that are not yet controlled by the Reapers and those that are already.

This is a fascinating variation, but one that is miles above the head of the average player that is trained to believe exclusively in what he sees... at the surface of things.

[video=youtube']http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Tbghjn7_Byc

I don't have made a final decision for myself yet cos I'd probably need ten times as much time as I've spent on the game as such (i.e 20 hours) if not much more to solve a possible Harbinger Riddle in Mass Effect 3. For now I take the game as well designed, badly animated and ending with a frustrating headshot. Though on balance it's worth the money.

Maybe indoctrination supposed to have any meaning in beginning but not in final ending that was given to us. Just cutting way to travel is just enough to send galaxy to backwater.

The dead don't travel anymore. Wonder if Shep's body has in fact experienced the slow motion run to the beam or if it's already confused thinking of the subconscious. The dream-like confusion actually begins with Harbinger's leaving of the battle scene at the very moment when the run (in normal speed) collapsed, something we'd expect first after the defeat of Shep and not already before.

My bro has asked me why one would always see the lover and the pilot in the planet scene at the end. Well, the former figure matters most to Shep. And the latter is simply necessary to bring the former to safety. We always try to protect what matters most.

If the final dialogue between the old man and the boy that plays a crucial role in the game (at least it is his voice!) would be a link to the triology as a narrative handed over from merged generation to generation, who knows?

I... can't... decide... can't... think... clearly...

I think I said this earlier in this thread; it's either one of the worst game endings or one of the most brilliant, perhaps too brilliant. Amazing how the latter keeps getting shot down yet still lives on.

On the Mass Effect 3 endings. Yes' date=' we are listening.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9992961

Translation - We dont give a fuck

[/quote']

Actually it's been hinted that the DLC being released next month will have new endings. The rumor is that the ending released with the game isn't the complete or official ending, and that it was just something they threw together after the game was leaked.

gregathit killed it. Dead. See above, or go here:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9999272

I've changed my mind on this. Yes, Gregathit is right that the ending we got was the one planned. However, if you read the release notes from the behind the scenes material, that's all we know. It doesn't rule out the indoctrination ending. In fact, they were planning on having Shep struggle with indoctrination in a video gamey way that was scrapped for being too unfitting for what they really wanted.

Oh man I just finished it my self and usually I am the worse person for subtle hints, but really even some one as thick as I can be some times saw the 1 000 000 things wrong with that ending. The game it self was brilliant loved every minute of expect for the ending.

Oh man I just finished it my self and usually I am the worse person for subtle hints' date=' but really even some one as thick as I can be some times saw the 1 000 000 things wrong with that ending. The game it self was brilliant loved every minute of expect for the ending.

[/quote']

According to every poll I have ever seen only 3-5% actually like the endings.

So you are not alone. :)

There are polls popping up all over asking fans if they liked the ending, the most important to heard on is IGN's facebook poll particularly since the douchebags proclaimed that there is nothing wrong with the ending and we the fans are just a bunch of self entitled whiny shits.

Also yahoo news, cnet, usa today and gamestop picked up the story

http://news.yahoo.com/mass-effect-3-game-fans-campaign-ending-195542082.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57400148-1/bioware-considering-changing-mass-effect-3-ending/

http://www.gamespot.com/news/bioware-considering-changing-mass-effect-3-ending-6366857

To sum up the end sequence:

The unexpected is more interesting than the expected, it simply attracts people. And the longer one thimks about the unexpected the more interesting it gets and the more people think about it. Bullshit or brainwave - BioWare has hit the mark.

Playing the BioWare advocate for a moment, how many endings were in ME2? We had 2 options, red or blue. Up to that point, we had intermediate choices that changed who exactly did what or who lived or died, but ultimately the ending only had red or blue.

Were we lead to believe ME3 would do more than add a third color, green? Yes, but perhaps only in the sense that ME2 also had more than 2 endings after you do the accounting, like did you romance Jack and did she survive? Was it Thane who lead the rescued crew members back to the Normandy? So does it count as a different ending in ME3 if you saved the Rachni queen to return and help fight, for example?

BioWare could be like, "What were you expecting after playing our previous games?" Were we interpreting their press releases and marketing with wishful thinking and unrealistic hopes?

To be fair, here's another video attacking the ending and going against what I just said above:

[video=youtube]

No one read this: My biggest gripe is still the lack of native support for using a 360 controller, fucking hate it 10x more than anything else about the game and BioWare. Fuck you very much, BioWare, fucking PC snobby asses and the only dev on the planet refusing this one simple thing.

Playing the BioWare advocate for a moment' date=' how many endings were in ME2? We had 2 options, red or blue. Up to that point, we had intermediate choices that changed who exactly did what or who lived or died, but ultimately the ending only had red or blue.[/quote']

I'm not so disappointed with the choices but it's stuff like this..

An actual...

Ashley was one of my team members for the final assault.

I picked red.

Ashley was one of the members stepping off the Normandy in the end.

Now we don't know how long Shepard was out cold... but how did Ash get on the ship? If things had gotten so bad that the Normady's crew thought that earth was lost and were hauling their ass out of there how did they manage to land on Earth?

But the fighting was still going on around the Citadel...

From Here

"Mid-way through the production of Mass Effect 2, (Drew) Karpyshyn handed over total responsibility for the storycraft to co-lead Mac Walters (who is also the lead writer on Mass Effect 3)"

Walters & Karpyshyn probably had the outline and the bulk of the storyline done for ME2 when Karpyshyn left to work on SWTOR. For ME3, Walters was on his own and without the team of Walters & Karpyshyn, Walters probably lacked the feedback he needed. The type of feedback that asked "If Ash was with Shepard, how did Ash get on the Normandy?"

I also take issue with the side quests. It's one thing to simplify them. It's another to simplify almost all of them to the point of...

beep,... beep,... beep,... "I found Something!", ploink!... thunk,... You saved the Asari Commandos!

Maybe there will be DLC that will explain what happened to the rest of the Normady's crew...

But how?

Most likely my character, Shepherd, is dead, the mass effect relays are defiantly destroyed and the Normandy is a burning wreck.

This is why I haven't played any post ending missions. There is no post narrative for my character.

I saw a commercial for it the other day where they were flashing quotes from reviewers during clips from the game and one of them was (paraphrasing) "This game is definitely not a let down!"

I laughed at that, as if they were directly responding to all of the uproar about the game being DEFINITELY a let down.

Ugh, the less I say on this subject the better. Strike one was DA2, strike 2 the ME novel Deception, and ME3's ending is strike 3. They are out. I'm done with Bioware until they redeem themselves. Now Bethesda and Obsidian are the only game companies I can rely on to give me games that I know i'll play over and over, and even then there is the botched mess that was the latter third of KOTOR2 from Obs.

Has anyone made note of which companies the old guard and writers/designers that left Bioware over the last few years went to? I'm finding myself woefully low on game developers I actually trust.

I think Eaware was done for since the day they sold their soul to EA. ME1 and DA1 were great games, after that, they rushed DA2 out of the door. It went downhill since then. I feel bad for the employees. Now only profit matter, passion is just an obstacle. T_T

From twitter: BioWare Is Working on a Modified Mass Effect 3 Ending http://bit.ly/GDrkMQ

Well i hope THAT it is true because i want to build a house for Tali on Rannoch :/

that article is misleading, I read Ray's statement no where does he say they are working on ending dlc, he state's only that they will address the ending coming april and attempt to provide additional closure for the fans that need it. this could be done in a number of ways for all we know it could be done in twitter comments like they did with emily wongs death

later in his statement he say's they are working on dlc which we all ready know is the omega, illium and multi player dlc

I wont rule out ending dlc but it's far to early to say it's in the works

Been mostly ignoring the singleplayer since I can't seem to force myself to do a second playthrough. I'm not holding out much hope for the ending improving or for us getting any real closure, no matter what PR bullshit gets spouted on Bioware blogs and the social network.

Is it me, or are people getting steadily worse at the multiplayer? More Rambos, less objectives being done, etc. It's like they don't realize score is shared among the team and that credits are more important than individual scores. More hosts playing with edited coalesced files for no reloads, infinite ammo and other boringness too. Sigh. I give up on this game in its entirety.

To Mass Effect 3 players, from Dr. Ray Muzyka, co-founder of BioWare

As co-founder and GM of BioWare, I’m very proud of the ME3 team; I personally believe Mass Effect 3 is the best work we’ve yet created. So, it’s incredibly painful to receive feedback from our core fans that the game’s endings were not up to their expectations. Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics – but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility.

More...

Archived