Mass Effect 3

HanPL

Ultimate video of the ending plot holes/weirdness found in the comments from that amazingly written article

[video=youtube]

Now my head is spinning. Maybe it's the wine, too, but that video has me pondering some meta-surreal scenarios now. I kind of hope EA/BioWare is evil enough to had replaced the real ending with the false ending we got so as to prolong the saga and even making it a cerebral/dealing-with-indoctrination-ending that is only temporary. That would be evil but kind of cool. I don't mind being tricked if the clues were all there and the failure was on me. But if it's not a trick... Oh, but it would be so easy for them to at least pretend it was and pull a Beth and give us a DLC with a proper ending!

Btw, ME3 wasn't the first to have DLC already included but locked in the main game. Deus Ex recently pulled the same shenanigans. Players would purchase the DLC and discover nothing downloaded! It be already there. But enough is enough. This backlash from the fans who are punished the most is well deserved. I hope this really puts on end to it.

Btw' date=' ME3 wasn't the first to have DLC already included but locked in the main game. Deus Ex recently pulled the same shenanigans. Players would purchase the DLC and discover nothing downloaded! It be already there. But enough is enough. This backlash from the fans who are punished the most is well deserved. I hope this really puts on end to it.

[/quote']

Ah! Capcom are the true master in this art.

I hate to admit it but I get caught up so much in peoples theories and reading all the small details or hints that may suggest something more is going on with the endings. One second I'm clicking a link and then suddenly three hours later I blink and realize I've been caught reading what people have to say for hours. While I won't say its a "Good" thing, I will say that the ending to this game has made me think and ponder it more then any other game ending in a very very long time.

That said I still want an official thumbs up or thumbs down on whats going on so get on that EA/Bioware

Yeah the indoctrination theory is quite elaborated XD

If true, it would be like the first time a game dev actually pulled off such a feat, wouldn't it? I mean, normally, mind control over your character never really seems to work in gaming when you're just given an option to break the obvious spell. Have you ever played something like Dragon Age and wondered how they could had made the Fade or Desire Demons actually trick you into make wrong decisions? Here we have a case where only the most lucid players really see how incoherent things got but were still never explicitly clued in.

But are we now giving the writers too much cred? I can't decide because the other option just doesn't make sense, that they'd written a game series so well all the way up until the very end and then suddenly forgot how to write. Both are equally hard to believe.

So it's either one of the best or worst endings in my gaming history. If you ask me in the morning, I'd say the latter. Late at night, I start to suspect maybe the former.

If true' date=' it would be like the first time a game dev actually pulled off such a feat, wouldn't it? I mean, normally, mind control over your character never really seems to work in gaming when you're just given an option to break the obvious spell. Have you ever played something like Dragon Age and wondered how they could had made the Fade or Desire Demons actually trick you into make wrong decisions? Here we have a case where only the most lucid players really see how incoherent things got but were still never explicitly clued in.

But are we now giving the writers too much cred? I can't decide because the other option just doesn't make sense, that they'd written a game series so well all the way up until the very end and then suddenly forgot how to write. Both are equally hard to believe.

So it's either one of the best or worst endings in my gaming history. If you ask me in the morning, I'd say the latter. Late at night, I start to suspect maybe the former.

[/quote']

Points given for original thought +1

Points taken away for execution -100

Sorry, the anger won't go away and may even increase 10 fold if they try to sell a "real" ending DLC for ANY cost. Even giving it away (which would be incredibly difficult to do for xbox and ps3 platforms) will barely cool tempers. If this was a stunt then it backfired.

This is simply the wrong game for it (pulling a stunt like this in the middle of the series might have worked but not the end). I foresee a sharp decline in sales of the game along with an increase of pirating coupled with very low dlc sales.

Yeah, the execution of this alternative hypothesis kind of does work to argue against it. Although they did wrongly execute the whole day one DLC. Still, not nearly as big a deal. So you two are probably right.

There is a yet to be discussed third option which you'll probably quickly shoot down. There might be a real life conspiracy surrounding the ending. If the gaming industry is now like Hollywood, BioWare may had been strong-armed to change their original ending into what we got. Why? That's where I've got nothing without actually seeing the removed material and probably never will. Shot down? Ah, but I am a conspiracy nut so may just go with this for myself so that I can re-enjoy the series, perhaps even better.

Points given for original thought +1

Points taken away for execution -100

Sorry' date=' the anger won't go away and may even increase 10 fold if they try to sell a "real" ending DLC for ANY cost. Even giving it away (which would be incredibly difficult to do for xbox and ps3 platforms) will barely cool tempers. If this was a stunt then it backfired.

This is simply the wrong game for it (pulling a stunt like this in the middle of the series might have worked but not the end). I foresee a sharp decline in sales of the game along with an increase of pirating coupled with very low dlc sales.

[/quote']

Bioware is not the first to make this tragic mistake, Walt Disney made it way back when they aired the Davy Crocket series. That was a gold mine for disney and kids all over America wore those dumbass coon skin hats and bought up anything related to Crocket.

Disney however made the mistake of killing crocket off at the alamo, so even though they intended to air more episodes that featured earlier times of Crocket's life no one cared anymore since in the hearts of all the fans Crocket was now dead along with disneys cash cow

This was a lesson learned the hard way, and it is tought in writing, production, advertising, marketing and so many other professions that I simply cannot understand how Bioware and more importantly EA fell in

To this trap

Bioware is easier to understand they only develop the game, but EA really should have known better

Maybe Mass Effect 4 is on its way :dodgy:

No one would buy it. I won't be buying anything from Bioware until they can prove that they are again capable of strong writing. I was thinking that Dragon Age 2 was just a fluke and they would pull out all the punches for ME3 and make it one of the best games ever, instead it's just as lazy as Dragon Age 2. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you.

Also holy shit @ that video Greg....No wonder people are pissed. I haven't even played the game and I am pissed about this.

Maybe Mass Effect 4 is on its way :dodgy:

No one would buy it. I won't be buying anything from Bioware until they can prove that they are again capable of strong writing. I was thinking that Dragon Age 2 was just a fluke and they would pull out all the punches for ME3 and make it one of the best games ever' date=' instead it's just as lazy as Dragon Age 2. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you.

Also holy shit @ that video Greg....No wonder people are pissed. I haven't even played the game and I am pissed about this.

[/quote']

The shame of it is it really wasn't a bad game until the last ten minutes.

[spoiler=Quick summary: ****spoilers****]

You make a mad dash for a portal to open the citadel so you can hook up your hail mary weapon as conventional arms are unable to stop the reapers. You get shot, fall down, regain consciousness and stagger toward the portal. Lame dialog with one of the villains inside that is just a choose what you say deal and fall down blacking out. You wake up again and are introduced to a space god child. He tells you that the mysterious reapers exterminate organic life every 50,000 years so that synthetic robots won't exterminate organics.....WTF???

So the space god kid while being all powerful and all knowing could not conceive of actually fighting the bad guys (robots) and instead wipes out both good (organics) and bad (robots) so that a few good can survive that will grow up and create new bad guys and the process starts over.

Seems legit.

Then you pick your color of explosion: red, green or blue

Way to F'up a great series biosuck!!!!!

And even stranger than this F'ing mess of an ending.........Bioware is shocked that folks think it sucks.......WOW!!!! Just WOW.

No one would buy it.

I heard that for dead space, I heard that for ME2, I even heard it from fallout 3 etc... And the list goes on and on... Maybe you wouldn't but there are lot of people out there who will regardless, hoping for a better conclusion or a better game in itself... I didn't read most of the thread lately since I don't want to be disgusted until I get to the ending... The game itself is not great, but it's alright... More or less, if they let the franchise sleep a bit to let nostalgia cloud memories a bit (on year or two would be enough) it will be all good... The setting is good enough to make it work...

Another example of bad execution of a radical idea' date=' let's not forget the airing of War of the Worlds where people freaked out thinking it was real! Of course, that might had been intended.

[/quote']

War of the Worlds was never intended to make anyone think it was real. The problem started because Radio was the biggest source of news around the world in 1938 (for obvious reasons).

HG Wells announced at the start of the program that it was only a radio drama but that message was never repeated for new listeners. If not for Hitler the effect of the radio broad cast might have been different but the times being what they were combined with HG Wells broad cast led to disaster

Wells himself openly stated that he was shocked by the effects of his broad cast.

H.G. Wells wrote the original book, but Orson Welles did the radio broadcast. Can be confusing.

It's endlessly debatable what was intended without knowing for sure people's true intentions. It was during tense times on the global stage. It was the first fiction to use "We interrupt this broadcast" as if not fictional, which got banned afterwards. It wasn't sponsored by advertisers, so had fewer breaks, like maybe two.

I can think of many reasons for certain powers that be wanting to test the population, so see no reason to rule this out at the start without further investigation. But that's also a rabbit hole.

Disclaimer: I'm undecided on the issue. Not enough info for me.

And even stranger than this F'ing mess of an ending.........Bioware is shocked that folks think it sucks.......WOW!!!! Just WOW.

Maybe they are shocked to see that gamers aren't all zombies and many still have cognition, underestimating their audience?

or

Maybe they are shocked to see that gamers aren't getting that there's something else to it, something more obvious to them, overestimating their audience?

or

Maybe they've become zombies and it's great to them?

Archived