Modders get Ready! Dragon Age: Inquisition Release date-10-07-2014

Papajack55

As far as I know, it started as a joke on Zero Punctuation and has since become an actual rallying cry for PC superiority. The episode in question was actually The Witcher. Apparently it is Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's fault. The episode if you wish to see for yourself: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/22-The-Witcher

Thanks. Just need some place where I can buy dick shaped lamp posts in France, got a link for that too ? 

As far as I know, it started as a joke on Zero Punctuation and has since become an actual rallying cry for PC superiority. The episode in question was actually The Witcher. Apparently it is Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's fault. The episode if you wish to see for yourself: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/22-The-Witcher

Thanks. Just need some place where I can buy dick shaped lamp posts in France, got a link for that too ? 

No, that is a little out of my area and it seems like I would be flooded with bad ideas as a result.

To get back on topic, I have been playing for 60 hours and still not tired of it. I am just a little disappointed they gutted the tactics menu.

He used it originally to mock elitist pc players. Not your fault if you call someone shithead and he starts wearing that like a title, isn't it. Anyway, as much as I cringe whenever I read something about the pc master race, they do have a point. I'm all for diversity, some very good games I've played were console games, like Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma. They were made with a console in mind and built around that. But most pc games nowadays are just a bad port, like DA:I. I mean, you can't even toggle walk/run on PC unless you're playing with a controller. It's such a small detail but it shows how lazy the devs actually are when it comes to the PC. Or the missing mod support. A very big selling point for PC games is that on PC, you can tweak and create things for your favourite game, yet many publishers don't see that as an advantage when it really is a big one. They are afraid they can't sell as many DLCs because modders put the devs to shame often enough, but what they don't think about is that a DLC will sell even better if there is a mod that uses assets from the official DLC, no? That way if you want to play that shiny new mod you need that DLC.

He used it originally to mock elitist pc players. Not your fault if you call someone shithead and he starts wearing that like a title, isn't it. Anyway, as much as I cringe whenever I read something about the pc master race, they do have a point. I'm all for diversity, some very good games I've played were console games, like Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma. They were made with a console in mind and built around that. But most pc games nowadays are just a bad port, like DA:I. I mean, you can't even toggle walk/run on PC unless you're playing with a controller. It's such a small detail but it shows how lazy the devs actually are when it comes to the PC. Or the missing mod support. A very big selling point for PC games is that on PC, you can tweak and create things for your favourite game, yet many publishers don't see that as an advantage when it really is a big one. They are afraid they can't sell as many DLCs because modders put the devs to shame often enough, but what they don't think about is that a DLC will sell even better if there is a mod that uses assets from the official DLC, no? That way if you want to play that shiny new mod you need that DLC.

Well said.

No, that is a little out of my area and it seems like I would be flooded with bad ideas as a result.

To get back on topic, I have been playing for 60 hours and still not tired of it. I am just a little disappointed they gutted the tactics menu.

First(?) act was terrible, I was thinking about ditching the game I got lvl 12 something before moving to next act but man, when shit hit the fan - I enjoy every second of it. It is like overlord and fable 3 had a baby.

But game has bugs, most annoying one for me is characters disappearing - mostly in camp.

First(?) act was terrible, I was thinking about ditching the game I got lvl 12 something before moving to next act but man, when shit hit the fan - I enjoy every second of it. It is like overlord and fable 3 had a baby.

But game has bugs, most annoying one for me is characters disappearing - mostly in camp.

What is the framerate like?

Well said.

not well said!

Without a PC, a console game is not possible! try it once in a console a game to develop, laughing laughing.

you can only "game" on a PC "develop", only in recent times too many conversions for the consoles.

but that is me completely care less, I will never buy a console "never"!

What does that have to do with that dumb trend ? Companies make bad ports, okay, from there you go to say "PC Master Race" ? I don't get it, if games nowadays are starting to get better on consoles than on PC, why would PC players consider themselves as "master race" ? It's the contrary here and, if we want to carry on the WWII metaphors, we PC players are kinda starting to be the persecuted, not the persecutors if you know what I mean. Then again it could just be that people can't get that times are changing and gaming is too, and that there are no persecuted nor persecutors, just simple, basic evolution. 

Talking about PC/console differences in BioWare games, I remember DA 2 not having any tactical camera on consoles, while having one on PC. Something about the old console gen not having any pointers (while they did have one on DAO, pretty damn strange). Did the console players cry like little cunts then ? I don't remember them crying like little cunts. Maybe the PC community is just rotten, that's all there is to it. And that's coming from someone who plays more on his PC than on his console, just saying. 

The modding argument is irrelevant, the number of AAA games that are actually mod able are extremely restricted. I just think we all are spoiled by Bethesda here, just remember BioWare never had the intention to build a mod community around it's games. It's do-able, okay, but it's not really that advanced. Most Dragon Age mods you can find are replacers for meshes and textures, some rare new armor mods that rarely work properly, nude meshes with neckseams that look like models were beheaded, and I'm just starting. I love modding just as much as you do, but it's still pretty understandable for a company not to want modders to tamper with their games, or at least not to help them modify their games. 

Look at it that way, games are starting to be more and more accepted as some form of interactive works of art. People can even make money commenting on them nowadays, just think PewDiePie and all that shit, just like people have made money commenting on paintings since the Renaissance. It's only a normal evolution that games from big companies would become more rigid, as gaming evolves into something close to an art gallery. Modding in triple A franchises is just dying, but so what, just pick an indie game somewhere that allows hardcore modding, or wait for the next Bethesda, no need to bash companies who are not interested in modding for not helping modders. What's the point here. 

"Suck it up", it's the one thing we all PC players gotta learn. 

First, DA2 had no tactical camera whatsoever. Neither on PC nor on consoles.

Also, the pc master race thing is seldom used in a completley serious manner. Some do, but most don't. It's more of a ironic remark that the PC can do more than consoles because a PC doesn't have fixed hardware. Better resolutions and framerates are the result if a game is done correctly. It's not that PC games are better per se, it's that games developed mostly for consoles limit what a PC could do because developers are lazy asses and don't port games for PC very good. It's consoles first and somewhere down the line 'oh well, you PC idiots can have that game as well, I guess'.

So, the thing is, if you are mostly a PC gamer, you're often screwed because developers gladly take your money yet don't do shit to make sure you have a good experience on your platform of choice.

The point about modding is that developers, again, are lazy asses. There are a many bugs and oddities in Inquisition like being forced to wear that horrible underwear in Skyhold. Or male elves with deformed arms because Bioware couldn't be bothered to make a decent mesh. Race restriction nonsense so that Qunari either can't wear most of the armor you find in the game or it just shows up invisible on your character. Those are small details that could be easily fixed but I'm pretty sure Bioware won't do shit in that regard because they need to retexture some weapons to sell as DLC. Oh you want to play a male elf but are bothered by the low quality mesh we delivered with the game? Well that's too bad son but why don't you buy some of our DLC? We make more money that way because fixing the product you already paid for is not very worthwile for us.

Well, that and the obvious lies they told during interviews and streams.

What is the framerate like?

Game is caped to 30, what is strange because in main menu which is made as ingame scene is capped to 60.

I'm getting like semi stable 20 in crowded areas. Candy didn't henge much it is like gain of few frames (4 to 5). But hard to tell I don't play with fps display all the time. Ill check again when there will be a proper candy for it.

My settings are set to auto. Mostly ultra lowest are on high.

Ps

And fighting as mele is a chore, because of that tpp mishmash - unless you use controller or vague tactical view.

Played DA2 for a bit before selling it back on console, but I was certain you had a tactical camera on PC, worst RPG ever I'm sure of it now. 

So in short, you're pissed since you can't do what console players will never manage to do. By that I mean, modifying your game. You also would like games to be ported from PC to consoles. You're also not happy with the fact that they sell DLCs. Finally, you are definitely not happy about how the meshes are not up to your PC standards. 

I think I summed up most of that, and it's good, I mean it's exactly what I see on most player reviews for the game on PC. Just, are you guys for real ? Why the heck should PC have any sort of advantage on consoles, or why would any company be entitled in that matter to make a game better on PC than on console ? Did you make a contract with them companies or what ? All of those problems, the console has them too, and that's exactly what I meant by "spoiled community". A company makes games for money, not for your pretty butt dude. It's a company, not a bunch of college students building Unity engine based browser games in a Californian basement. Of course they want to sell you DLCs, and yes people are going to buy them, it's going to make them money, that's capitalism and it's been going on for a looong time now, time to suck it up again, and just get used to it. 

But I've got to hand it to you, even with all those issues you speak about you never said it was a "bad game", you're just pissed to be used as a money cow. But there's nothing to be done here, no constructive criticism and nothing that'll change, if they want you to use this mesh and not that one, and you buy the game before knowing that, then it's your bad and once again -> suck it up. Oh the pretty world we would live in if the PC "master race" could reform capitalism with just some angry strikes from their tiny fists on their keyboards. 

If you want to talk about Ubisoft and AC-Unity then yes, there we're talking, a game unplayable on both consoles and PCs alike is simply retarded and unacceptable. So is offering a Battlefield that is the exact copy as the last one. I understand here, it's a damaged product so business wise, not honest, perfectly understandable to be pissed here. But cry over business choices ? C'mon man you are smarter than that. 

Played DA2 for a bit before selling it back on console, but I was certain you had a tactical camera on PC, worst RPG ever I'm sure of it now. 

So in short, you're pissed since you can't do what console players will never manage to do. By that I mean, modifying your game. You also would like games to be ported from PC to consoles. You're also not happy with the fact that they sell DLCs. Finally, you are definitely not happy about how the meshes are not up to your PC standards. 

I think I summed up most of that, and it's good, I mean it's exactly what I see on most player reviews for the game on PC. Just, are you guys for real ? Why the heck should PC have any sort of advantage on consoles, or why would any company be entitled in that matter to make a game better on PC than on console ? Did you make a contract with them companies or what ? All of those problems, the console has them too, and that's exactly what I meant by "spoiled community". A company makes games for money, not for your pretty butt dude. It's a company, not a bunch of college students building Unity engine based browser games in a Californian basement. Of course they want to sell you DLCs, and yes people are going to buy them, it's going to make them money, that's capitalism and it's been going on for a looong time now, time to suck it up again, and just get used to it. 

But I've got to hand it to you, even with all those issues you speak about you never said it was a "bad game", you're just pissed to be used as a money cow. But there's nothing to be done here, no constructive criticism and nothing that'll change, if they want you to use this mesh and not that one, and you buy the game before knowing that, then it's your bad and once again -> suck it up. Oh the pretty world we would live in if the PC "master race" could reform capitalism with just some angry strikes from their tiny fists on their keyboards. 

If you want to talk about Ubisoft and AC-Unity then yes, there we're talking, a game unplayable on both consoles and PCs alike is simply retarded and unacceptable. So is offering a Battlefield that is the exact copy as the last one. I understand here, it's a damaged product so business wise, not honest, perfectly understandable to be pissed here. But cry over business choices ? C'mon man you are smarter than that. 

I liked DA2 more than DA:O, tbh.

I just want a good experience on my platform of choice, that's all. Imagine if you had to use a keyboard and mouse on a console, I would love to see the outrage, honestly. I don't give a fuck what's the lead platform and from what platform the game is ported, I just want a good experience for the money I spend, y'know? I don't think this is asking too much.

The thing is, PCs are more capable than consoles, there is no arguing that. As far as raw power goes, a good gaming rig will beat any console at any given time. I don't want a better game, I want the game to utilize what my PC has to offer. It can have the same models and textures than the console version, just let me have the frames and resolution my PC can handle. And give me keyboard and mouse controls that aren't utter shit if possible. A game should offer the same amount of fun across all platforms, that's what I personally want. A shoddy port for PC isn't doing that, it's making the experience on the PC much worse than the experience on consoles. For no reason whatsoever. I mean, if you have a game for PS3 and PS4, you're kinda expecting the version for the next gen to look at least slightly better while providing a better frame rate, yes?

It's not PC > consoles on my part, it's just that getting the short end of the stick just because you don't use platform xyz isn't fun.

Game is caped to 30, what is strange because in main menu which is made as ingame scene is capped to 60.

I'm getting like semi stable 20 in crowded areas. Candy didn't henge much it is like gain of few frames (4 to 5). But hard to tell I don't play with fps display all the time. Ill check again when there will be a proper candy for it.

Ps

And fighting as mele is a chore, because of that tpp mishmash - unless you use controller or vague tactical view.

Cutscenes are capped to 30, everything else to 60fps, I believe.

As I've said, exact same issues you've listed for the PC exist on the console, still don't see your point. You say you're having a much worse experience than people who play on their consoles, when at the same time there are close to zero differences between the two versions if not for their supporting devices. And the PC here has a clear advantage with all the key bindings and the mouse clicking (which is really fucking annoying on Xbox One). Tried like 10 hours of the game on the PC, 140 on the Xbox One, and so far I can say the PC version is much more convenient. Plus, you can actually fix the 30 fps on cutscenes thing yourself, and pretty easily too with a little googling', when it is impossible on the Xbox One. 

Thing is, it's impossible to fill PC gamers' expectations since we all have different rigs and all expect different performances from our games, when console players obviously do not have that issue. But then, should PC gamers get a special treatment ? You can't expect a company to tailor their game to fit each rig out there, they had to make compromises and that's what has been done. 

All in all, lots of overreacting and spoiled kids tantrum, that's all I can see. Once again, let's just suck it up like grown up instead of blindly bashing a game without even talking about the contents. It's more directed at other "reviewers" out there than at you, Grim, just to be clear. Fuck metacritic. 

Well you can't even walk on the PC, it's just running all the time. A small detail I know, but since you can jump now, positioning yourself for a jump can be a hassle. Plus there's really no reason why you shouldn't be able to toggle between walking and running, imo. Also having to constantly press a button to attack is something that is pretty annoying on a keyboard and mouse setup. Much easier with a gamepad, imo.

The thing with modding is that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo could allow it, but they don't want to. They control the hardware and software that runs on their consoles and they chose not to allow it. That's okay, I guess, but then you better deliver a polished product because no one else than the developer is able to fix things. I wouldn't cry over DA:I not allowing modding if they would fix all the things that bother a lot of people, but I'm pretty sure they won't because it's not relevant in their eyes.

Well you can't even walk on the PC, it's just running all the time. A small detail I know, but since you can jump now, positioning yourself for a jump can be a hassle. Plus there's really no reason why you shouldn't be able to toggle between walking and running, imo. Also having to constantly press a button to attack is something that is pretty annoying on a keyboard and mouse setup. Much easier with a gamepad, imo.

it is not right when you say, constantly press the mouse button in a fight!

it is enough if you know the enemy once flagging with the right mouse button and then pushed the left mouse button hold. you can then use the buttons 1 to 10, is an enemy defeated, pivoting to the next without the mouse button to release.

the control with mouse and keyboard is much better and more accurate (sensitive) than with a gamepad (controller).

I think I know why some people have issues with this game.

Denuvo is a big part of it but also DA:I uses A LOT of resources on its own I loaded it back onto my friends PC who has an i7 2600 CPU which isn't the top of the line in i7s but it isn't that bad either but DA:I alone used about 1,500,000k memory and spiked his CPU usage up to 100%.

I personally believe that this combined with Denuvo and the fact you HAVE to leave origin open after starting the game is why people without extremely powerful Machines are having issues.

We even loaded up a cracked version on his PC to test it and without origin/Denuvo getting in the way the game performed much better, I'd say if something could be done about all the resources DA:I, Denuvo, and Origin itself eats up even people with a low end PC could play it no problem.

Getting the mother of all memory leaks over here. I've never seen a game max out my CPU and RAM before ever, it's a fucking freak of nature. 1 frame per secong with constant freezes, changing settings in the ESC menu takes a decade and a half. Cutscenes aren't even cutscenes, they're bloody slide shows.

Guess I'll wait for some 20 patches before subjecting my rig to this thing again...

I never thought I'd say this about a Bioware game, but this one is much more suited for console gaming. I've also noticed a lot of people saying their games run smoother on medium/high than they do on minimum, nobody seems to know what that's about. I say keep the patches comin', it'll be a good game yet.

Should not be necessary at all. This game's in need of patchwork. I still freeze constantly, even with the new NVIDIA driver. I feel very uncomfortable every time a cut-scene starts. Takes away any enjoyment I could get from watching cinematic scenes.

Well, I had the cutscene-crashes as well, but no longer since the latest patch. And even before the patch not any longer. I did the stuff recommened like disabling origin-overlay and also use the 60fps-exe.

But what really seemed to have had an impact on that was this tip I found while searching: (though I cannot verify it, I am not very technically savy, I just tried it and had no more issues even with hours of gameplay, even a new one which has a lot of cutscenes in the beginning)

In your graphic options turn down post-process quality to low and post-process antialising to medium and your problem will go away. Don't forget to restart the game for changes to take effect. Once EA issues a patch feel free to bump those settings up again, but until then this is what fixed it for me.

After that the problem indeed seemed to have been solved for me, and also didn't see much of a difference in graphics-quality (though again, I am no expert on this and think a lot of games have high graphics quality when others might say it looks cheap. Everything with graphics better than PAcman is awesome to me :shy: ). Maybe give it a try. I used this after I crash-freezed about for times in a row during a cutscene in the Witner-palace. And after these changes it immediatly worked and not a single time a crash since that, ever again. Yet maybe I am just lucky

NOTE:  You are free to like or hate DA:O, DA2 or DA3.  You are NOT free to insult others for liking one over the other or the same as the other or whatever.  Further insulting of others over their likes will incur warnings.

By the way, I enjoyed all three DA games.  Yes, I even enjoyed DA2 JUST AS MUCH AS DA:O.  Deal with it.  Everyone is different and has different tastes.  And no, I am NOT a console gamer.  I am an old school keyboard and mouse dude.  Ain't life grand!   :P   

Archived