Mesh Rigger (Skyrim, Fallout, Oblivion) Beta.89.f (10-26-2014)

wow thank you very much Viosis! So the problem is that the old mesh just wasn't properly showing the normals, while the one I got after using meshrigger is?

Yes, that's exactly it. the vertex normals on the original where orientated wrong or set to not show.

Also I did some googling for normal maps and I'm having a lot of trouble understanding how exactly is the skirt getting the color? The diffuse map is also a transparent file just like the normal map. Where does the file actually store the data for the colors used in the game? I installed the normalmap plugin for GIMP and was finally able to see something in the skirt.dds file after setting Filter>Colors>Decode YCoCg, so it's not a blank file at all. However is it possible to recolor this file if I cannot see what's actually there?

The diffuse map has no alpha, i don't use gimp but there must be a way of telling it not to display alpha data when its not present.

But the diffuse you sent has a pale pink colour to it.

I would, if i was you get gimp configured properly first before using it to edit the diffuse.

I'm not sure if there is a word for what it is I'm trying to do, but any push in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. I know it has to get the color from somewhere because I have an older version of this outfit, with 2 color options. Both options has a transparent skirt.dds file, but are different colors in the game, so it has to have color information somewhere in the file. I'm googling for all the wrong stuff it seems (recolor alpha texture transparecy etc, get a bunch of hits of people trying to make their textures transparent while I'm trying to do the opposite lol).

Like DeadSomething said above check what bit gimp is displaying the texture in.

See if its showing them at 6bit per channel or something.

Thank you guys for all the info. If you are able to see something in that diffuse map then it's definitely something on my end. The only thing I can see when I load it in GIMP is a transparent background (black and white checkered background) so I thought maybe the info is saved on the mesh itself, but ruled that out when I saw color changes on the mesh in nifskope when changing the "transparent" DDS files.

I'll check my configs tonight. In the meantime I hacksawed the effect I want by using your normals as a template overlay and just colored the general areas I want to change the colors of with the paintbrush lol. Now I just need to play around with the mesh itself to see if I can stop the front of the skirt from "sticking" to the thighs and folding into itself when the legs move. I fixed this once before with meshrigger on another mesh but not sure what I did to fix it.

I really do appreciate all the help, thanks again guys

i'll have a look at the textures properties for you.

if its 24bitRGB, it's without alpha

if it's 24bitRGB+8bitalpha, i can delete the alpha channel for you.

also some older games had some strange bright pink color replaced by transparency, while others used neon green. resulting in 1 bit/pixel on or off transparancy or reflections.

so, but now i'll download your texture.

and now to the diagnosis:

both meshes suffer a severy case of alpha channel.

luckily, it's not too late to treat them.

would you like to send me the usual textures, so i can preserve the channels to them as transparency?

other wise i'll just send you the top_n and skirt_n in a few minutes.

the new files will still be dxt5 with interpolated alpha (8bit alpha channel) but i deleted the channel in PS so the channel will be empty

cute frills noalpha.7z

would you like to send me the usual textures, so i can preserve the channels to them as transparency?

the new files will still be dxt5 with interpolated alpha (8bit alpha channel) but i deleted the channel in PS so the channel will be empty

Hi, thanks for the uploads. Yes that's why I was really confused when I opened them and I only saw the black/white checkered transparency background. Both of the normal maps as well as the skirt diffuse map had the same problem, and I just couldn't figure out how to actually get anything to show up, much less edit it. I did manage to do it with a very crude method of copying the fixed normal maps from Vioxsis into the diffuse map, and using as a tracing guideline to color in sections of the diffuse map to get the colors I wanted. It works for now I guess; I'm not too picky about the results. I accept my limitations and I'm pretty happy with what I ended up with hahaha.

As for the issue I had with the skirt, this is what I got after doing some trial and error with copying different bones from other mesh templates to my mesh:

post-16133-0-21993900-1442722083_thumb.jpg

There's still some "sticking" of the skirt to the leg, but it's nowhere near as apparent as the original mesh, which simply doesn't work with my idle pose. I did some googling and it appears to be a problem with improper weighing, but that's way above my head. In my case I just checked which bones are listed in the skirt mesh in nifskope, and just copied the same bones from other, random meshes until I got one that gave a "good enough" effect. Can anything be done to fix this without going into a 3D modeling program? I have limited tools to work with (nifskope, GIMP, meshrigger, and outfit studio))

Hi, thanks for the uploads. Yes that's why I was really confused when I opened them and I only saw the black/white checkered transparency background. Both of the normal maps as well as the skirt diffuse map had the same problem, and I just couldn't figure out how to actually get anything to show up, much less edit it. I did manage to do it with a very crude method of copying the fixed normal maps from Vioxsis into the diffuse map, and using as a tracing guideline to color in sections of the diffuse map to get the colors I wanted. It works for now I guess; I'm not too picky about the results. I accept my limitations and I'm pretty happy with what I ended up with hahaha.

As for the issue I had with the skirt, this is what I got after doing some trial and error with copying different bones from other mesh templates to my mesh:

attachicon.gifenb 2015_09_19 20_16_00_59.jpg

There's still some "sticking" of the skirt to the leg, but it's nowhere near as apparent as the original mesh, which simply doesn't work with my idle pose. I did some googling and it appears to be a problem with improper weighing, but that's way above my head. In my case I just checked which bones are listed in the skirt mesh in nifskope, and just copied the same bones from other, random meshes until I got one that gave a "good enough" effect. Can anything be done to fix this without going into a 3D modeling program? I have limited tools to work with (nifskope, GIMP, meshrigger, and outfit studio))

Greetings.

Just as a side note, you can compare your textures ( the old and the new ones from Vyoxis - thanks to him/her  )  with a image Viewer like " XNView" ...it's a free software ... you can extract a each colours channel too ( + alpha) or remove the alpha channel too , but beware , in some case if you remove the alpha channel , your body could be "invisible" ..so use always a backup copy when you try anything !

Unfortutalely , the older version of XNview i use only support DDS . DTX1  ( write ) ... that's not enough , so without a pluggin you must use a third party software ( DDS Converter 2 ... if it still 'run' with your operating system ) .

XNView is really easy to use ( save in Photoshop  format - PSD , not in BMP or you 'll probably loose your alpha channel ...)  but it's not so complete as Gimp etc ... and you also need " Blender" to do a clean work ( or another 3 D program ) .

And for some specific meshes ( 3 D Pubic or "Vagina " ... but i'm not playing Skyrim since a few months now ... so not quiet sure of what was  "new " since these months) you don't especially need to run them in Mesh Rigger ... NifSkope is enough most of the time to fix them  ( if the source is clean , so set to " zero" ,  just don't forget to " Apply " your transformations " ).

I think you used a texture " tweaked " by someone who saved it with a wrong tool ( or wrong format before a DDS convertion ) and that's why your Alpha channel was "black" ( totally) for the Skirt , and full white for the " top" ... without nothing there ... except " noise " .

Cheers.

PS :

http://www.xnview.com/fr/    ...sorry my W7 is "french" so it's a french link but you "ll probably find another one to "suit" your language / tongue .

Be carefull when you install it , to not "enable" some "add" if any ( there was no one in my older version ... i don't know for this one ) .

PPS : after a short reflection ( .. " .la nuit porte conseil , dit-on " ...) i think the "moise" effect seen on the picture you posted ( post 510 ) :

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/24797-mesh-rigger-skyrim-fallout-oblivion-beta89f-10-26-2014/page-26?do=findComment&comment=1319436

...  is something especially done for a specific model ... not by "acciden" ,  so probably you got theses " _n.dds " files by mistake , or maybe not ?!?

So finally i think  it's an interresting effect too, i will check it in ... Oblivion ( i don't have Skyrim anymore on this computer ...) .

Im sure this has been asked before but i cant find it so anyone know how to prevent what i would guess as alignment issues i get sometimes with some outfits? My head hands arms all align to each other but body is several inches forward. I'm only processing the torso meshes with the following settings.

Search 20

Vertex 16

UV Search

Copy Weights

Copy Havok Node

Delete All Weights

Replace Bones

What im trying to convert is witch of the wild from plain old unp to a unp body made via uunp special so just trying to rig breasts/belly so if i got my settings rigged badly for this lmk.

Edit: tried disabling Delete All Bones and worked perfectly it seems.

Dunno if this is the right place to ask this, but is there an upper limit for what the mesh rigger can handle? I have a file about 9mb that I'm trying to rig, but it never creates an output. I can't understand why it struggles with this armor, and not its sister armor that came in the same modpack which was about 6,5 mb (aradia asx dancer).

@Deemer

Have you checked your save folder to see what the mesh rigger log says? The bigger the nif the longer it takes to do it could also mean that mesh rigger is running out of ram. Generally I break big nifs up into smaller parts by making 2 copies and delete the top stuff out of one then the bottom stuff out of the 2nd one. Then make copies of those ones and delete pieces again repeat till I have multiple files with all of the parts. After running it through the clothing converter and then mesh rigger I take all of the files and paste them all back into 1 nif to make it a complete nif.

@Deemer

Have you checked your save folder to see what the mesh rigger log says? The bigger the nif the longer it takes to do it could also mean that mesh rigger is running out of ram. Generally I break big nifs up into smaller parts by making 2 copies and delete the top stuff out of one then the bottom stuff out of the 2nd one. Then make copies of those ones and delete pieces again repeat till I have multiple files with all of the parts. After running it through the clothing converter and then mesh rigger I take all of the files and paste them all back into 1 nif to make it a complete nif.

I didn't know it kept saves. It appears to be a memory error yes.

I could easily enough split the armor into separate parts, as they're already different parts in outfit studio, but I don't know how to combine them back again afterwards. Any tutorials on how to do this? Google doesn't really give a lot of good results when it comes to mesh rigger.

I could easily enough split the armor into separate parts, as they're already different parts in outfit studio, but I don't know how to combine them back again afterwards.

Use Nifskope.

You can start from a blank nif containing only skeleton bones (you can create one yourself using Block>Remove Branch for every block in a sufficiently complex nif file - by sufficiently complex I mean, it must contain all the bones in the outfit your working at). Then open the output files from Mesh Rigger in different Nifskope windows, and copy/paste Branches from these files into the empty nif. When you're done, use menu Spells to clean the mesh (combine properties, remove bogus nodes, reorder link arrays, etc. Check this link for a detailed procedure: how to clean meshes) and SAVE the file. Always keep a backup of the files you're working at, just in case.

I could easily enough split the armor into separate parts, as they're already different parts in outfit studio, but I don't know how to combine them back again afterwards.

Use Nifskope.

You can start from a blank nif containing only skeleton bones (you can create one yourself using Block>Remove Branch for every block in a sufficiently complex nif file - by sufficiently complex I mean, it must contain all the bones in the outfit your working at). Then open the output files from Mesh Rigger in different Nifskope windows, and copy/paste Branches from these files into the empty nif. When you're done, use menu Spells to clean the mesh (combine properties, remove bogus nodes, reorder link arrays, etc. Check this link for a detailed procedure: how to clean meshes) and SAVE the file. Always keep a backup of the files you're working at, just in case.

Thanks! I'll see what I find out. I'm a complete noob when it comes to nifscope though, so we'll see :P

@Deemer

To break up a nif use nifskope and right click a armor piece and go to block - remove branch save as to overwrite nif. To add them back into one nif use nifskope after you run them through mesh rigger take a copy of each one and pick one that you want to paste the stuff from the other ones into. Then load each nif up into nifskope right click the armor piece and go to block - copy branch then load and select the nif you are going to paste the rest of the stuff into and right click scene root go to block - paste branch then save as to overwrite the nif repeat till all items are back into the one nif.  

erm, short question (i asked some time ago on some threads and didn't receive an answer):

when converting from T3M to CUTE, would i get better results if i first converted from T3M to T3 Alice and then from T3Alice to CUTE ?

i know that CUTE has a UV of BabeMarkIII or something, which is about 75% fitting on Type3 UV.

how much influence has the UV in search for matching vertices? if a geometrically fitting vertice is already found, will it still search for a UV match?

erm, short question (i asked some time ago on some threads and didn't receive an answer)

Shouldn't this question belong to Clothing Converter thread? Nevermind...

I don't know any of those body replacers, that's why I refrained from giving suggestions so far. My worthless opinion is that a direct conversion should give better results (using two stages requires creating two lattices, that is more work, and the effects of the inevitable imperfections would sum or even multiply). As for UV search, if the models share the same base texture, enabling it should give better results, in theory at least. (75% fitting is insufficient perhaps).

• 5 weeks later...

Mesh Rigger

Something in the installation process doesn't work. First, when I install PyFFI-py3k it doesn't list Python 3.4 at all. 3.3 is the last on that list. When I try running the batch file for mesh rigger it can't find the file to execute .py files. Then third, if I just run the meshrigger py file it opens a command line window for a split second and then it disappears.

So, before I go any further with this, will this work with a non-standard body (CBBE, UNP, UNPB, UUNP, etc.)? I'm using Robton's Tiddy McButt body and I'm trying to make the TBBP version into a HDT version. Does that really matter? What would the difference be between a TBBP body and HDT?

@sniperdoc

It will work with UNP CBBE UNPB UUNP Demonica ladybody heck I have even added TBBP to player models before with mesh rigger.

I already had everything needed for Gerra6's tools to run from when I tried using blender. I have PyFFi 2.1.11 PyFFi 2.2.2 python 2.6 pyFFi-2.1.11 and python 2.6.6. There are probably updated versions of some of these. I haven't had a problem and haven't seen the reason to update them.

I re-posted on this recently too: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/27557-new-clothing-body-style-converter-beta-v089f-10-26-2014/page-57?do=findComment&comment=1347761

I'm guessing my advantage is, I've always setup multiple versions of Python on my PC builds (for more than just Oblivion), plus NifSkope, Blender, etc and then gerra6's tools.

All should be installing PyFFI using PyFFI-2.2.2.win32.exe, and yes the latest version of Python that can install is 3.3. So it is not "Something in the installation process doesn't work.", it's a matter of understanding what a specific tool needs in order to work on your specific PC build. If you use the above executable, it will at a minimum auto select the correct version of Python to install for PyFFI to work. Selecting and installing any other versions of Python is totally optional.

To install Python 3.4x you will need to DL one of the install packages for it; python-3.4.1.msi, etc, although I'm not sure it is needed for any of gerra6's tools. The stand-alone set of tools provides or comes with Portable Python. gerra6 went to that to avoid some of the issues that come with setting up Python, although that itself cannot be totally avoided if you plan on doing any NIF or mesh related work.

So where you install and avoiding UAC by installing using Run as Administrator are key. The best place to have Python is right off of root; C:\

• 1 month later...

I notice with mesh rigger that high heels with HDT get destroyed in it if the feet and stuff are below the red and green line. any high heel that I have tried have had this happen not sure if it happens with all or just this authors heels. They don't have BSDismemberSkinInstance the original only has calf and thigh nodes after running them through mesh rigger is adds the BSDismemberSkinInstance to it and removes the thigh node and adds nothing else like foot or toe nodes to them. The soles have no nodes now.

post-25667-0-96529200-1449509021_thumb.jpgpost-25667-0-48338900-1449509037_thumb.jpg

@sshadow5001

Have you read varenne's post a few posts up. Highest python I have installed is python 2.6 pyFFi-2.1.11 and python 2.6.6 I have never wasted time on 3.4 as I haven't ever seen the need for it and chances are Gerra6's tools don't need it not to mention the standalone version comes with portable python.

@sshadow5001

Have you read varenne's post a few posts up. Highest python I have installed is python 2.6 pyFFi-2.1.11 and python 2.6.6 I have never wasted time on 3.4 as I haven't ever seen the need for it and chances are Gerra6's don't need it not to mention the standalone version comes with portable python.

Python 2.7.10 also works well.

I have noticed that at times with mesh rigger that it sometimes shrinks/gives the body a breast/body part reductions i have even seen it give a breast reduction and then add that to the ass. I have been trying different things to try to prevent it and the only way that I have seen so far. Is to first run the body/armor through mesh rigger then throw the mesh riggered one into the clothing converter and use the body from the original one as a template and rerun it through it to get the body size back where it's suppose to be at.

I'm currently using mesh rigger to reweigh clothing using an HDT body as a template and the XPSME skeleton.

The problem is that the skeleton has a ridiculous amount of bones. So when it comes time to select the bones I want to use, my entire screen is filled with bone options and there is no way to scroll to the right to select additional bones in the list.

Am I missing something? Does anyone have any advice?

I could go into Nifskope and delete any extraneous bones, but I really don't like that idea because chopping up a nif file rarely works out well (for me at least). I wonder if there is a latest XPSME skeleton that doesn't have all the extra crap attached so I can use that for template work.