You should be able to store the downloaded mods elsewhere. They aren't actually accessed from MO during the game as far as I can tell only the mods folder. That can cut down on the size of the MO folder used and thus Skyrim. Just keep the rest of the folders inside of MO. You can access this using the tools and advanced. Change the location and the folder will be much more smaller. Very much like NMM or such..

Ok guys I broke something really badly. I was updating mods in MO by "visiting on nexus" and now I have a major FNIS problem.

ERROR (53) Could not find file D:\Program files (x86) \ steam \ steamapps \ common \Skyrim \ data \ meshes \ actors \ character \ behaviours \ 1hm_behaviour.hkx

Had to type that manually as I cannot work out how to paste stuff here but you get the point. I hadn't updated FNIS from nexus. I was and am running the latest version there though. I've tried deleting and reinstalling several times but i'm getting that output as an error message and also an unhandled exception error.

Google search isn't helping me track down the error so im hoping someone here can point out what I might have borked up. Anyone got any ideas please?

Ok guys I broke something really badly. I was updating mods in MO by "visiting on nexus" and now I have a major FNIS problem.

ERROR (53) Could not find file D:\Program files (x86) \ steam \ steamapps \ common \Skyrim \ data \ meshes \ actors \ character \ behaviours \ 1hm_behaviour.hkx

Had to type that manually as I cannot work out how to paste stuff here but you get the point. I hadn't updated FNIS from nexus. I was and am running the latest version there though. I've tried deleting and reinstalling several times but i'm getting that output as an error message and also an unhandled exception error.

Google search isn't helping me track down the error so im hoping someone here can point out what I might have borked up. Anyone got any ideas please?

The issue is being addressed. I just have to get ahold of fore and Tannin to resume progress. We've all been too busy lately. FNIS should still work fine, just gives that warning. Can be safely ignored.

You can copy FNIS messages by right-clicking in the message field, and choosing 'Select All', and hitting CTRL+C, then pasting here.

Need a hand here.

I installed WyreBash to try my hand at making a custom follower.  After some fiddling around, I THINK I have her where I want her, but I have some problems getting my finished mod in the game.  When I installed WyreBash and added the files I needed to work on, they were added to Mod Organizer's "Unamnaged Mods" lists.  Now, I can't figure out how to get them out of it, and use my new mod instead of the "in-progess" one I'd opened with WyreBash.  I've deleted the files in WyreBash, unchecked them from its mod list, and even uninstalled WyreBash completely, no luck.  Can anyone tell me where to go from here?

EDIT:  Nevermind, figured it out.  Apparently WyreBash added everything I added to it to Skyrim's Data directory.  Had to delete things out of there, and then got it working.

So... if I set a profile to use local saves, it seems to force default Geck ini values when I load the geck under MO, instead of my custom ini values from the default folder. Copying my custom inis to wherever doesn't do a thing about it.

You ever get that geck ini to keep it's original values? I saw your post, but I know squat about geck, and I wouldn't know why MO would change a geck's ini to it's default just because you used local saves.

If your problem's still there, I'll put in my next report, which is likely being delivered today. If you solved it, would you share your solution? :P

So... if I set a profile to use local saves, it seems to force default Geck ini values when I load the geck under MO, instead of my custom ini values from the default folder. Copying my custom inis to wherever doesn't do a thing about it.

You ever get that geck ini to keep it's original values? I saw your post, but I know squat about geck, and I wouldn't know why MO would change a geck's ini to it's default just because you used local saves.

If your problem's still there, I'll put in my next report, which is likely being delivered today. If you solved it, would you share your solution? :P

No solution, I'm afraid, other than not tagging a modding profile with 'local saves'. Of course, even a play profile occasionally needs a bit of modding though.

A crucial GeckCustom.ini setting like 'bAllowMultipleMasterLoads', which I always have on, is switched off when switching to a local saves profile. I also see some resets happening with GeckPrefs.ini, most notably columns being collapsed to the left so that some stuff is no longer visible (topicIDs in the quest windows). It's easy to drag them to the right again, but you have to figure out that's what's goin on first. Could be that it just reverts to factory settings, and possibly that GeckPU compounds the issue.

The geck inis are parked alongside the game inis. It looks like MO keeps separate game inis for each profile, but fails to do so for geck inis. Copy-pasting a geck ini tweaked to my liking to the profile folder does not help.

Great. It had to something like bAllowMultipleMasterLoads. <_< Yep, "crucial" is the right word. At least you don't need Geck for that, but still.

Alright. It's in the report. Glad you mentioned it. I'll let you know what he says. Might have an easy fix I'm unaware of.

Well, I got your answer, Docta.  

Sorry, I can't explain that either, the "local saves" flag shouldn't have any effect on where the geck.ini is looked up, at least there is nothing in MOs code to do that.
It's true that MO does not have separate geck.inis for each profile, that's intentional.

If Fallout finds the location of the geck ini based on where the saves are then that's news to me.

Anomaly. :mellow:

I have 22 mods showing up in the left hand pane as unmanaged/Non-Mo. In my Archives pane on the right there also unmanaged Skyrin, Update, DLCs. I would like to get rid of all these and have everything in the left pane as managed. I've spent the day looking around and haven't found any resolution for this issue. What is the best way to fix this?

These are mods that I imported from NMM way back when that feature first came out. I have since removed NMM and all references to it.

Well, I got your answer, Docta.  

Sorry, I can't explain that either, the "local saves" flag shouldn't have any effect on where the geck.ini is looked up, at least there is nothing in MOs code to do that.

It's true that MO does not have separate geck.inis for each profile, that's intentional.

If Fallout finds the location of the geck ini based on where the saves are then that's news to me.

Anomaly. :mellow:

Bugger. Well, thanks for passing it up the chain anyway.

I have 22 mods showing up in the left hand pane as unmanaged/Non-Mo. In my Archives pane on the right there also unmanaged Skyrin, Update, DLCs. I would like to get rid of all these and have everything in the left pane as managed. I've spent the day looking around and haven't found any resolution for this issue. What is the best way to fix this?

These are mods that I imported from NMM way back when that feature first came out. I have since removed NMM and all references to it.

You have mods installed manually. Either you manually installed them yourself, and didn't take them out when switching to MO, or using NMM left a bunch of files behind. (why I don't use it)

When switching from NMM to MO, it's always an excellent idea to reinstall Skyrim. Keeping Skyrim Vanilla is MO's purpose. That, and...all those other things it does. :P

Apollofleetfoot -- I have to laugh at this motherfucker here. Unlike most utilities I ever used, MO does work for me, especially when I have to try a newly-updated mod in a separate profile before using it in a regular playthrough. Otherwise (and unless he performs backups) some poor sod using NMM is going to do a lot of Steam validations and reinstalls if he ever botch up his installation.

Is there any way around this "No data on top level" file rearranging, or will I have to use NMM?  :-/

Most files are being packed for MO now. No Data error comes from mods that weren't packed for MO, and that nowadays means the mod's older, or the author doesn't know of MO, or does not wish to.

Also, some mods haven't been given file structures at all. Just a pex or nif or something, sometimes.

I've always downloaded mods manually to a folder, and if I get that error, I repack it to not have the data folder. Not a good reason to use NMM over MO. They can even be repacked after you install them in the explorer.

Not a good reason to use NMM over MO.

Well, one would be that a total modding noob like me doesn't want to have to worry about rearranging files for half the mods he installs (especially cause he doesnt even know what goes where so it's a question if it will even work properly). I wanted to use MO becuase people say it's a lot better, but if needs doing for half the mods, guess I'll stick to the NMM (Noob Mod Manager :blush: )

Well, one would be that a total modding noob like me doesn't want to have to worry about rearranging files for half the mods he installs (especially cause he doesnt even know what goes where so it's a question if it will even work properly). I wanted to use MO becuase people say it's a lot better, but if needs doing for half the mods, guess I'll stick to the NMM (Noob Mod Manager :blush: )

You don't have to repack hardly any mods. When you get the error window (no data at top level) simply right click the top level and choose "set as data directory". It then should give a green "OK" message and will install.

You don't have to repack hardly any mods. When you get the error window (no data at top level) simply right click the top level and choose "set as data directory". It then should give a green "OK" message and will install.

Yep. This will cover all the main mods you use. If there are a few mods that this don't work with they  would be those mods that you would have to repack and work for NMM or any other manager.

It is daungting at first but if you can drag and drop that is all you would be doing. Draging any added files you want (like a text file or Jpeg etc) into the folder you designated as "Data' as mentioned above. It really is quite easy and soon you will not even think about it any more. The seperation of the files from each other and the ability to see which one is conficting is what makes MO the best. If you ever have a problem with textures meshes etc you can find those isseus easily and fix them easily as well. Drag the one you want below the other or hid it.. (more advanced but easy none the less)

There is a video for MO that is created by Gopher. Do yourself a favor and watch it first before deciding between MO and NMM. Both manage files and both can do the job it is up to you to decide if one is better than the other. MO does take a bit of time to get use to it but once you do .. it is way more powerful than NMM ever thought it could be.

What is Mod Organizer and why should you care :D  I do disagree with his statement on the users of Mod Organizer. You really don't need as much of an understanding of modding as he states. Many here have started using MO with almost no experience with modding and with our help here on the thread they get their game up and running quickly and effectively. Any questions and problems that you might  encounter just post back here and many of the "cult followers" will be able to help you quickly as this thread is quite active.

Thx for the help guys, really appreciate it.

So far this

seems to be working, but now I have a HD texture mod for a body type DATA folder which I can mark for data folder, just .dds .dds and .txt. What do I do with those?