Thx for the help guys, really appreciate it.

So far this

You don't have to repack hardly any mods. When you get the error window (no data at top level) simply right click the top level and choose "set as data directory". It then should give a green "OK" message and will install.

seems to be working, but now I have a HD texture mod for a body type DATA folder which I can mark for data folder, just .dds .dds and .txt. What do I do with those?

right click on a mod that installed without any effort in MO. You will see an "explore" option. click that. Now you can see some of the structure of a proper mod. (hopefullly it is one that is proper .. lol).. Now you need a Texture, Meshes, esp or esm (sometimes there are more than one of those) and that basically gives the overall structure. If you are installing something that don't have those basic structure check back with the mod author. It might be some "loose file" which need to be placed in a specific place (folder structure) which is just a fancy way of stating folder hierarchy. You have already seen this with Steam. usually something like C:\Programs\steam\common\Skyrim\Data\etc etc. Most of the special files that need to be dropped in to a folder ( or sometimes need to be created) are just like that. A folder inside another one until you get to the place (in the folders "structure" ) where that file belonged. Sometimes they might have you rename them. This isn't common however for some advance tricks and cool mods this becomes a must to also learn. Nothing hard there. Just relax.

That is assuming that those files in that "data" isn't in the before mentioned Textures or Meshes folders and "loose"

I can tell you the txt file is usually not a concern unless specificlally mentioned by the mod author. Most are instructions. Likely the instructions are in that txt. WE cannot tell because we don' know the "HD texture mod" you are talking about. Best results.. give the mod name and even better the link to the page you downloaded from if possible (nexus etc) there might be info there you overlooked or just didn't understand that we can. (chances are there is someone here has used those files ;))

I still if I was you watch that video I suggested. It give lots of info. (some of which how to handle those loose files you are mentioning so long as you know which folders they go to ;)

What's the name of the dds files? (femalebody.dds, for example) That would tell me where they go. Most likely if it'as a body texture it'll be here:

\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\ModOrganizer\mods\*HD texture mod*\Textures\actors\character\female

If that file path was not already made, the missing folders must be created (name them yourself), which is what I meant when I said some mods aren't packed at all, and are just loose files, like a dds, for example.

Also, the rest of my quote is being ignored:

Most files are being packed for MO now. No Data error comes from mods that weren't packed for MO, and that nowadays means the mod's older, or the author doesn't know of MO, or does not wish to.

Also, some mods haven't been given file structures at all. Just a pex or nif or something, sometimes.

This seems to apply to you already, if you have a dds that's not in a file path (by itself). Is that the case?

I've always downloaded mods manually to a folder, and if I get that error, I repack it to not have the data folder. Not a good reason to use NMM over MO. They can even be repacked after you install them in the explorer.

If you get the warning, you can install anyway, and open in explorer to find out why (right-click the mod). Sometimes it's only because the mod's in a data folder. This is what I meant when I said I repack them. I just rename the data folder to the mod's name, and zip that, to be installed to MO.

Getting that error is not a good reason to choose NMM over MO. This is what I meant. If ever there is a file that is not in a file path, NMM will have an error too, not just MO.

Well, I could give you a class via PM, if you want. A lot of us stated by installing mods manually, which is why I know file paths for all my games. That info will end up being crucial at times, and it's not as complicated as I might be making it sound. ;)

Lemme know. File paths are pretty darn important with mods.

The mod is HD Normal maps for UNP BASE bodies-6709, it has 3 files 2 of which are .dds

So I should copy them into

Mod Organizer\mods\UNP BASE Main body V1dot2\textures\actors\character\female

right?

And I'm not ignoring anything, sorry if I don't address something, but I really am grateful :)

I don't think I'll need a personal class though :D  If ^this works out, my only other problem is an error message that says something like

No plugins could install the mod combination (or something like that). I had it for Apachi hair, but now I tried to install it did work the second time (?!). But I had it for a few other mods.

File paths are our friend. It's kinda step 1 for installing mods. Once you know where a file goes based on it's name (a femalebody.dds would go in the path you asked about, yes), life becomes much easier, and then mods start to become even more fascinating. :)

No game data on top level? It either means the needed mod data (what MO reads) is in a Data folder (rename it the mod and zip it, then install, to solve), or files are not in folders (file path), in which case you need to create new folders, and just name them properly (Textures, character, actors, female) to make the path yourself.

This shouldn't happen very often. It's why I repacked SkyRe for people, and the author added the link as a mirror.

I was just wondering if it is know already, there is a Version 1.2.15 on the Nexus since today.

After installing it, the following error shows up:

First a Pop-up with the message "File doesn't exit" (yes, it says "exit", not "exist"), a big ! and an "ok"-button

In the log, there are a lot of error messages regarding missing localization files for DE.

The default settings show "German", switching the Language to "English", pressing ok and restarting MO brings up the error again, the language is set back to "German",

the switch to English was not saved.

I prefer using the english version as it is easier to ask and/or answer questions in an english dominated internet :)

I was just wondering if it is know already, there is a Version 1.2.15 on the Nexus since today.

After installing it, the following error shows up:

First a Pop-up with the message "File doesn't exit" (yes, it says "exit", not "exist"), a big ! and an "ok"-button

In the log, there are a lot of error messages regarding missing localization files for DE.

The default settings show "German", switching the Language to "English", pressing ok and restarting MO brings up the error again, the language is set back to "German",

the switch to English was not saved.

I prefer using the english version as it is easier to ask and/or answer questions in an english dominated internet :)

Hm, mine fired up fine. No error, and I downloaded it with my comp's locale set to Japanese. :P Did you use the installer?

Yep you are. Just keep with Mo It actually helps make you learn about modding and files and such. . Soon you will be creating the next big mod.. :D.

Yep. That's what happened to me. Bought my first comp 2 years ago, and I just released a rare mod for Sims 4. It all started with asking "How do I install a mod to Skyrim?" I'm glad I started with manual installation.

Soon you'll be asking "How do I compile scripts with Creation Kit in MO?" :D

Btw, speaking of Sims 4, that can be played using MO too, I think (that's what Tannin said). Haven't actually tried that yet, since installing mods to that game is already "virtual" (no need for MO), but it has a Data folder, and the fact that it's in .package format is, apparently, not an issue, so I think I'm gonna try to get MO to run it. Of course I'll list any extra measures that may have been necessary.

What will I use MO to play today? ;) Tannin's gonna have this thing capable of making phone calls pretty soon. :D Wanna open the garage door? Double-click Garage in the 'Universal' tab. Hahaha! XD Crap! Left my car running. Better deactivate the engine in MO. ModOrganizer\Plugins\Universal\CarEngine.jar

About the new version:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update 1.2.14 has been released. This of course includes all changes from 1.2.12 and 1.2.13 which weren't announced because of stability concerns.
This is again a bugfix release, please see the changelog for details.

In other news: Gopher has created a great and very detailed video-series on Mod Organizer. You should head over there and check it out if you haven't already: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE7DlYarj-DcLS9LyjEqOJwFUQIIQewcK

Also: I've moved the translation project of Mod Organizer to transifex (https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/mod-organizer/).
The server I was using before had a tendency to crash whenever I was on holiday or otherwise unable to restart it right away.
If you'd like to help the translation effort, please register on transifex, then head to the mod-organizer project, choose a language and request to be added to the team.
Unfortunately it was not possible to carry over the existing translator accounts and the log of their contributions. Please the see the "Thanks" section below for a list of people who contributed to the translations.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, for people who are used to posting on the MO Nexus page:

___________________________________________________________________________________________

- use the question mark in the window border inside MO
- there are tutorial videos
- the S.T.E.P. project hosts a wiki section ...
- ... and the official support forum for MO
- There is an issue tracker for bug reports and feature requests.

Please use these offerings, they are the best way to get quality help.
Monitoring those pages is plenty of work and I have limited time so there is a good chance I will NOT read your comment here. I'm sorry for that but it can't be helped.

I had to closed comments here so you guys can't continue to ignore this. I need issue reports to be on the issue tracker NOT in the comments!

___________________________________________________________________________________________

You can ask questions here of course, but not on Nexus. If you have an issue that seems to require a fix or workaround, and it is not solved here, post your issue on the issue tracker. I can personally attest that certain important info is not reaching Tannin due to everyone posting on the Nexus. If I hadn't gone out of my way to send him reports, he wouldn't even know about the Win XP problem. I'm not yet certain that issue was fixed in this new release though, as Tannin doesn't spend much time on Nexus anymore. PMs aren't read quite as often. i need to find a better way to get in touch with him. Especially since my PMs are usually important MO reports.

Basic - Intermediate troubleshooting can be handled here by me and the Team, but if there is a major problem, such as installer mods not being able to be 'reinstalled', or things that simply do not have solution without doing extra work (codes, batches and fan-made plugins), the issue tracker is the place to go. Tannin focuses on working from there, and he gets disappointed when people do not inform him of big things like that. I can't be the only one sending him reports...can I?

So we're clear, it's not necessary to post every little error you get there. If it's a problem in MO's code or something, that's what he needs to know about. You do not and should not post there asking why you get a 'No data on top level' error, or why CK isn't compiling in MO. Things like that (and more) are best asked here.

I am leaving the Nexus link on my OP simply because so many questions have been answered there, but the topic has been 'Locked', so you won't be able to post on MO's Nexus page.

Long live MO! :) 

Yep you are. Just keep with Mo It actually helps make you learn about modding and files and such. . Soon you will be creating the next big mod.. :D.

Yep. That's what happened to me. Bought my first comp 2 years ago, and I just released a rare mod for Sims 4. It all started with asking "How do I install a mod to Skyrim?" I'm glad I started with manual installation.

Soon you'll be asking "How do I compile scripts with Creation Kit in MO?" :D

Well ... how do you compile scripts with the Creation Kit in MO... :D

Not that it would help me ... .. I have to learn hot to create the scripts first... :P

A batch is needed. Ashal's is on the OP.

Don't forget, my CK has never, ever compiled, so anything further than that is basically beyond me, since I'm "not allowed" to learn to script. I can only go by what i read, in this case, which is limiting. I've had plenty of people try to help, but I'm not worried about that right now. I've got other modding going on.

Hm, mine fired up fine. No error, and I downloaded it with my comp's locale set to Japanese. :P Did you use the installer?

I tried both.

Maybe it is just the german localization files missing, not the japanese?

After putting the 1.2.15 into a folder with 1.2.14, the errors regarding the missing loc-files disappeared from the log,

so I would presume, they are actually missing in 1.2.15. But the "File doesn't exit" pop-up still appears.

And it kept the language set to "English" (as I set it in 1.2.14), which doesn't happen when I switch languages after using 1.2.15 in a new folder.

Switching to "English" in 1.2.15, pressing "ok" and re-opening the settings has it back to "German" again.

(And yes, I used the full version of 1.2.15 and I run it as admin :P )

I included the log of a fresh version without any mods or profiles besides the default one. (only removed the LAN-Adress ^_^ )

Not that it would help me ... .. I have to learn hot to create the scripts first... :P

Don't forget, my CK has never, ever compiled, so anything further than that is basically beyond me, since I'm "not allowed" to learn to script. I can only go by what i read, in this case, which is limiting. I've had plenty of people try to help, but I'm not worried about that right now. I've got other modding going on.

I heard there's another method now -- http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#Compiling_CK_Scripts

Just updated to 1.2.15, get the no file error whenever I minimize/maximize MO.

Checked bug genie thread (as posted above) and Tannin has answered that it relates to MO checking to see if you have Chrome installed. If you don't, you get the error. Tannin is not planning to fix it out in a hurry as it is not technically an error :) Hope that clears it up.

Comment posted by
Tannin
Today, 08:27
I was too annoyed yesterday to give a proper explanation so here goes: "Download with manager" links don't work by default with the chrome browser because it doesn't allow custom protocols (like nxm://). There is a manual fix. The new version of MO can apply the fix for you but first it needs to figure out if that's even necessary so it tries to parse the configuration file of chrome. The error message you receive here says that there is no chrome configuration file which most likely means you don't have chrome installed so there is no problem at all. The message is only reported because I wanted to see it during testing and because of all the other stuff I forgot to remove it.

So again: The error message only tells you what you probably already know: You don't have chrome installed. There is no negative consequence. You can just confirm the dialog and continue using MO. This is not an urgent problem and I will not release an emergency bugfix just so people don't have to confirm a dialog once in a while.

It has nothing to do with your mod list. If you have a problem with your mod list then that's a completely separate issue.

I know I read some places to do this. I was just being a disruptive evil green alien.. :D I'd have to first learn how to add items and do basic stuff before I move to that. Likley I would use NMM on a machine for that just to keep my sanity. Less virtualization and such. Easier to get help.

I heard there's another method now -- http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#Compiling_CK_Scripts

Nice addition it might ideed help some people around there. What we really need is someone that is both skilled in MO and CK to create a nice dirty tutorial on just the compilation of scripts in / through MO.. That would be very helpful if there was someone here to do so. I am like AwfulArchdemon. I got other things going on. (not modding.. if I ever start... watch out world.. :D.. I doubt I would leave anything alone.. lol.. Brings me back to the old HeMan cartoons.. I have the power!!!!)

I tried both.

Maybe it is just the german localization files missing, not the japanese?

After putting the 1.2.15 into a folder with 1.2.14, the errors regarding the missing loc-files disappeared from the log,

so I would presume, they are actually missing in 1.2.15. But the "File doesn't exit" pop-up still appears.

And it kept the language set to "English" (as I set it in 1.2.14), which doesn't happen when I switch languages after using 1.2.15 in a new folder.

Switching to "English" in 1.2.15, pressing "ok" and re-opening the settings has it back to "German" again.

(And yes, I used the full version of 1.2.15 and I run it as admin :P )

I included the log of a fresh version without any mods or profiles besides the default one. (only removed the LAN-Adress ^_^ )

wtf...you seem to have a major malfunction. All types of important stuff "missing".

Oh, and when I said I dl'd MO in Japanese, I only meant my system locale was set to Japanese when I dl'd it, not that I switched to Japanese. So I figured, if I dl'd it like that and it worked fine, by all means you should have no problem, especially if it's German or English you're looking for.

Using Windows 7? Seems likely, if you use 1.2.14 fine. Try to dl the one on my OP, and give it it's own folder (I extracted mine strait to the desktop to test it), and give it another shot. If that doesn't work, you could always attempt to dl from a different system locale like me :P. Totally doubt that would fix it though, but it would seem to be the only difference between our methods, aside from where we're located.

If these things don't help, go see what tannin says on the issue tracker. You're problem may have the same solution as the one Sorinade posted (Chrome stuff).

I use chrome, and it asked me if I'd like the "fix", I said yes, and everything's working fine so far. I better screw around with it a bunch and see if I get any issues.