Just finished the mod; absolutely fantastic experience in all regards, especially due to the fact that many of the restraints could be removed in more than one way. 

Is there any chance you could add a waypoint to the lair entrance? It's a delightful little area and could well suffice as a small player base of sorts in the early game.

@notwavman I'll have a look to see whether the DCL stuff is working correctly. I haven't tested that very thoroughly, so it's possible I'm messing it up.

Regarding your other points:

Spoiler

Yes, there are no further hint interactions, it just loops the blindfold request. Technically the trigger for the hint to be given is when the blindfold is equipped. But I suppose that is a bit unintuitive, so I might tweak it a bit.

@knots1353 I find it rather hard to understand what issues people are having with the jumping. Maybe I've just built up muscle memory from testing it a billion times, but it never gives me trouble so I don't really know what I need to change in order to improve it. :/ Perhaps you could give me a suggestion?

For the hint orb: yes, that's supposed to trigger automatically, specifically when a Sexlab scene ends. In my testing this works every time, also when I just abort the animation with the End key. For starting it I tend to use SL Aroused's hotkey (long press "N" by default, I think). But ultimately I think nearly all mods run through Sexlab, so the event should get caught.

The dialogue length shouldn't be an issue if you use the hint orb as intended and the trigger works, because there's no point to spamming the dialogue. Still, I'll probably take your suggestion for the shorter dialogue. As for that last issue: Whoops. Good catch, I'll fix that.

@MysticDaedra That does clear up some confusion:

Spoiler

it sounds like something prevented the pillory scene from ending properly, at least until you talked to the elf, at which point it ended and put you back in the contraption. Normally, the scene ending places you back in the pillory where you started it, which is in range of the dremora and talking to him removes the barrier and restores your controls so that you can escape. But for some bizarre reason this got massively delayed for you, causing your issue. Some more questions if you want to help me narrow down the cause:

• Did the dremora say anything ("Ah, that was fun. Time for a nap"?) after the scene ended or not?
  • Were you wearing any devices (belt, harness, or plug) when the scene started, and if so, did they get re-equipped (as they then should)?
  • Was there anything blocking the dremora between him and the altar that could cause his pathfinding to fail?
  • Can you reproduce the issue?

@Laurawrn Glad to see you solved the first issue. As for the ending:

Spoiler

There are two endings for the quest: make a deal with the mask and escape succesfully, or don't make a deal and get captured again. Both are valid endings, but since the quest goal is to escape, getting captured is marked as a "quest failure". In the future, getting recaptured will lead directly to the start of the second quest, but that quest doesn't exist yet :) so there's just a placeholder message for now.

18 hours ago, PrincessCurtis said:

Just finished the mod; absolutely fantastic experience in all regards, especially due to the fact that many of the restraints could be removed in more than one way. 

Is there any chance you could add a waypoint to the lair entrance? It's a delightful little area and could well suffice as a small player base of sorts in the early game.

Thanks! I might have deceived you, though, because

Spoiler

there aren't actually multiple ways to remove the restraints.

I can definitely add a waypoint, sure.

Great mod, worked like a charm on LE. Only thing I noticed that seemed off was the rug and a few other interactive objects still listed the mittens even though they were gone. 

Brought back memories of the Aelie games from way back when. Took me forever to figure out the rug just like before too lol.

I just finished part 1 of the mod an really liked it! Good puzzles and a cool idea to force the player to carry objects around instead of just putting them in the inventory.

I think I encountered a bug? For context, I'm not using the newest version, I downloaded the mod on 28th May, but only now reached level 9 to trigger the quest. I'm also still using Devious Devices 5.1. But I haven't seen anything in the changelog related to the bug, so I decided to report it anyway:

Spoiler

I had removed all devices except for the harness, plug and piercings. I also made a deal with the dremora to dis-spell the door lock, but hadn't found the key, yet.

I used the bondage pole in the corner right next to the tentacle statue and set it to "Self Bondage Game" and to unlock after 1 hour. When I pressed "E" to interact with the pole I could select an action but then it would also trigger the interaction with the statue. When I pressed the button a second time, the same thing happened, but I also managed to break free. After that my character fell through the floor and then got teleported in front of the chest that contains all the player items. So I just picked up my stuff and walked through the door, which properly triggered the ending of the quest.

Edited by countzero99

Small bug, but it had major consequences because there was no way to proceed. It's also a tough one to handle because I don't know if there's actually any way to really avoid this from happening in theory without changing how you are allowed to interact with objects in this mod - spoiler below:

Spoiler

When you remove the armbinder, there's apparently a small risk that it'll drop to the floor in such a way that it is literally impossible to find the falcon key (because it is 'below the armbinder', and you're not allowed to move the armbinder, only examine it). This happened to me. When you clicked on the armbinder you were told there was a small object you could feel, but the way the armbinder had dropped meant there was no way to actually click on the key or know what object was being referred to - the key made no clink noises or anything like that and I was very confused as to which small object was being referred to because nothing had been added to my inventory. You can't actually move the armbinder, you can click on it again and then a pop up box will tell you it's an armbinder - but the key was somehow somewhere below it, and if it's your first playthrough you don't know it's even there, and you can't click on it. So I clicked on everything in the room multiple times, moved stuff around, etc. and got somewhat frustrated before reloading from start and trying over - and in the next playthrough it was completely different and the key was easy to spot/identify.

I think I was very unlucky in terms of where the armbinder dropped and I don't think anything should be changed (I'm not even sure I could reproduce it, it seems a very unlikely thing to happen given that nobody else has reported anything similar happening to them), I'm just leaving this here to let you know.

Edited by BYJE137

Really enjoyed the challenge of this. There was times I really got stuck and got frustrated but this is something that happens in a lot of escape games! There could be more hints, maybe add an extra line when certain items are removed that something jingles inside, I think you did it on one or two items but maybe need it on the first item so people get the idea. Also maybe some hidden scribbled notes hinting at where keys are... I got really stuck on a couple of them.

I had a good time and am looking forward to part 2!

Edit: Forgot to suggest something!!

Spoiler

I would HIGHLY suggest changing the animation used in the pillory sex scene. I don't know if it is based on what people have installed or what but the Zaz one it picked for me was AWFUL. Terrible. Cringed so hard watching it. There are so many better animations out there.

Edited by Shakkaku

Based on the decreasing number of bug reports, I think with one more update this mod is about ready to leave beta and I can start working on the second quest. That'll take a while, almost certainly at least a few months. If you've got suggestions or some nice inspiration: feel free to post/send it, now's the time.

On 6/16/2022 at 1:55 AM, countzero99 said:

Hide contents

I had removed all devices except for the harness, plug and piercings. I also made a deal with the dremora to dis-spell the door lock, but hadn't found the key, yet.

I used the bondage pole in the corner right next to the tentacle statue and set it to "Self Bondage Game" and to unlock after 1 hour. When I pressed "E" to interact with the pole I could select an action but then it would also trigger the interaction with the statue. When I pressed the button a second time, the same thing happened, but I also managed to break free. After that my character fell through the floor and then got teleported in front of the chest that contains all the player items. So I just picked up my stuff and walked through the door, which properly triggered the ending of the quest.

Yeah, I encountered that bug in one of my recent tests as well. I just moved the thing up a bit, it shouldn't happen anymore now. And in case it does, I changed the center-of-cell marker so that it doesn't break sequence if it does happen.

On 6/18/2022 at 8:57 AM, BYJE137 said:

Small bug, but it had major consequences because there was no way to proceed. It's also a tough one to handle because I don't know if there's actually any way to really avoid this from happening in theory without changing how you are allowed to interact with objects in this mod - spoiler below:

Reveal hidden contents

When you remove the armbinder, there's apparently a small risk that it'll drop to the floor in such a way that it is literally impossible to find the falcon key (because it is 'below the armbinder', and you're not allowed to move the armbinder, only examine it). This happened to me. When you clicked on the armbinder you were told there was a small object you could feel, but the way the armbinder had dropped meant there was no way to actually click on the key or know what object was being referred to - the key made no clink noises or anything like that and I was very confused as to which small object was being referred to because nothing had been added to my inventory. You can't actually move the armbinder, you can click on it again and then a pop up box will tell you it's an armbinder - but the key was somehow somewhere below it, and if it's your first playthrough you don't know it's even there, and you can't click on it. So I clicked on everything in the room multiple times, moved stuff around, etc. and got somewhat frustrated before reloading from start and trying over - and in the next playthrough it was completely different and the key was easy to spot/identify.

I think I was very unlucky in terms of where the armbinder dropped and I don't think anything should be changed (I'm not even sure I could reproduce it, it seems a very unlikely thing to happen given that nobody else has reported anything similar happening to them), I'm just leaving this here to let you know.

This one's been on my worry list ever since I first implemented that mechanic. I tested it a couple of times and it hardly ever happened even when I was trying to force it, so I dismissed it. But as you said, if you're very unlucky...

I could change the mechanic to drop the item instead of just activate the pre-placed one, but that also has a small chance of failure, so it wouldn't be much of an improvement. I think I'll leave it as is, maybe I'll add a FAQ for the unlucky soul that next encounters the issue. Thanks for the heads up, though!

On 6/19/2022 at 4:37 PM, Shakkaku said:

Really enjoyed the challenge of this. There was times I really got stuck and got frustrated but this is something that happens in a lot of escape games! There could be more hints, maybe add an extra line when certain items are removed that something jingles inside, I think you did it on one or two items but maybe need it on the first item so people get the idea. Also maybe some hidden scribbled notes hinting at where keys are... I got really stuck on a couple of them.

I had a good time and am looking forward to part 2!

Edit: Forgot to suggest something!!

Hide contents

I would HIGHLY suggest changing the animation used in the pillory sex scene. I don't know if it is based on what people have installed or what but the Zaz one it picked for me was AWFUL. Terrible. Cringed so hard watching it. There are so many better animations out there.

If you've got suggestions for hints, or rather for moments where you would have wanted a hint, please post them. It's hard to come up with good hints when you don't know what people get stuck on ? 

Oh, and:

Spoiler

To my knowledge, that pillory animation is the only Devious Contraption sex animation currently shipped with DD. Contraptions is still a bit early days. There are probably better ones out there. What I could do is change the animation from hardcoded to having it select an appropriate one from the SL/DD animation filters, that way if you have any better ones it can play those. I'll test that and see if it works. Do you happen to know any animation packs with properly tagged pillory animations?

I might play through it again and check what was least obvious but two stick out to me 

Spoiler

The key under the bench and the cart. A simple scribbled note half hidden somewhere (maybe make the books on the alchemy table moveable and hide the note in between two?) saying she drop one of the keys and couldnt find it anymore, it must be under something. As for the cart, maybe make it examinable but static and then when you get to the sun and moon bit interact with it and enable the physics on it so it can be pushed.

I was a little disappointed by the lack of pillory animations, though I only have a quick look. I have about 9 or 10 animation packs and I found 3........ Leitos (which I believe might be in Sexlab itself?) was the best.

image.thumb.jpeg.d84701cb45791167cbb3806a385b5431.jpeg

8 hours ago, Xuvish said:

I can't seem to start the quest.  I am on LE and got to the inn.  when I talk to the innkeeper, I don't get a dialogue to continue the quest.

How do I continue?

Are you commenting on the right mod? You don't need to speak to any innkeeper. From Level 9 onwards, after you level up, the Courier will arrive and give you a letter and some wine, like it says on the mod page. Drink the wine, and the mod starts.

47 minutes ago, SilentAntagonist121 said:

Are you commenting on the right mod? You don't need to speak to any innkeeper. From Level 9 onwards, after you level up, the Courier will arrive and give you a letter and some wine, like it says on the mod page. Drink the wine, and the mod starts.

I had to speak to the innkeeper in dragonbridge. She gave me a bed, then i drank the wine and had to go to bed. Then the mod started.

On 6/20/2022 at 11:02 PM, Shakkaku said:

I might play through it again and check what was least obvious but two stick out to me 

Reveal hidden contents

The key under the bench and the cart. A simple scribbled note half hidden somewhere (maybe make the books on the alchemy table moveable and hide the note in between two?) saying she drop one of the keys and couldnt find it anymore, it must be under something. As for the cart, maybe make it examinable but static and then when you get to the sun and moon bit interact with it and enable the physics on it so it can be pushed.

I was a little disappointed by the lack of pillory animations, though I only have a quick look. I have about 9 or 10 animation packs and I found 3........ Leitos (which I believe might be in Sexlab itself?) was the best.

image.thumb.jpeg.d84701cb45791167cbb3806a385b5431.jpeg

Spoiler

I like the "note between two books" idea, that's great. I might make some changes there. I'll test Leito's, I might be able to make that a preferred animation somehow.

14 hours ago, Xuvish said:

I can't seem to start the quest.  I am on LE and got to the inn.  when I talk to the innkeeper, I don't get a dialogue to continue the quest.

How do I continue?

If you've read the note, know where to go and haven't done anything else in the quest yet, she should have dialogue for you. Couple of questions:

• What does your quest log currently say on this quest?
  • What is the output of the console command "sqs FrayEscapeQuest"? You should have "Stage 11: 1". If it says "Stage 11: 0", something is messed up outside of what I consider sensible. Use the console command "setstage frayescapequest 11" and it should work, or reload from an older save.
  • Do you run any mods that make changes to that inn, especially to the innkeeper?
  • What is the output of the console command "sqv frayescapequest"? Especially the line that says "alias_IntroInnkeeper".

3 hours ago, SilentAntagonist121 said:

Really? Just drinking the wine started it for me. 

You played an older version, I changed this a bit in the newer ones.

9 hours ago, Frayed said:

Reveal hidden contents

I like the "note between two books" idea, that's great. I might make some changes there. I'll test Leito's, I might be able to make that a preferred animation somehow.

If you've read the note, know where to go and haven't done anything else in the quest yet, she should have dialogue for you. Couple of questions:

• What does your quest log currently say on this quest?
  • What is the output of the console command "sqs FrayEscapeQuest"? You should have "Stage 11: 1". If it says "Stage 11: 0", something is messed up outside of what I consider sensible. Use the console command "setstage frayescapequest 11" and it should work, or reload from an older save.
  • Do you run any mods that make changes to that inn, especially to the innkeeper?
  • What is the output of the console command "sqv frayescapequest"? Especially the line that says "alias_IntroInnkeeper".

You played an older version, I changed this a bit in the newer ones.

I don't know that what happened, but it showed stage 11 and stage 51 completed.  I used an earlier stage and was able to start the quest.  I am now suck on trying to get out of the cell.  I got the armbinder, hood, and blindfold off.  I tried to ask the orb, but am unable to equip the collar because of my mittens. I tried touching the moon crest and still was unable to equip the bell collar.  how do I equip the bell collar?

Liked the quest very much!
Great use of Devious Devices and not a single bug on LE!

A few minor thoughts on possible future development:

Spoiler

- An optional puzzle to avoid dremora sex (maybe I rushed and didn't find the option, but still...)

- Options to avoid all sex in future expansions

- More spacious environments, allowing for and freer camera and more movement (also movement-based restraints)

- A bit cleaner geometry (I've struggled with reaching the sun lamp and even with jumping out of the pond)

- Shorter dialogue lines from the NPCs since they're unvoiced and are read a lot faster than disappear

- Applying restrains onto yourself to solve puzzles seems like a good idea to expand on

- Interacting with restrained NPCs (or restraining NPCs) to solve puzzles would be a neat thing to add

On 6/10/2022 at 3:33 PM, SilentAntagonist121 said:

You'll struggle to get at the lock without the manual dexterity the gloves deny you.

Hint:

Hide contents

The gloves don't seem to be locked, but you'll need some kind of friction to help pull them off. See if there's anything you can pull against in the cell?

Solution:

Hide contents

If you interact with the rug below the chain hogtie you can use it to remove your gloves. Once they're off you'll have a lot more options.

Spoiler

I dont get that. When i do it it just say that the rug is soft but that there is some grip to it. I dont have any other option.

liking the quest so far.  I am stuck on the point where I get out of the cell.

I have the red owl key, but can't figure out what it opens.  I rub it all over the bookcase with the red rag, and it won't open.

what do I open with the Red Owl Key?

4 hours ago, notwavman said:

Hide contents

It's for the bookcase with red cloth on it's side. It's needed to read book and get understanding how to escape certain restraint.

Where on the bookcase do I use the key?  I rubbed it all over the bookcase and it would not open.

1 hour ago, alexsl said:

How do you get rid of the mitten ? assuming that's what you do after getting off the hook and out of the armbinder.

After you get out of armbinder, you have to regain your sight and get out of the cell.

After that you have to reach for the mitten key at certain spot, look around closely.

If you don't want hint but direct instructions (walkthrough) - say so.

I'm trying to make sure I don't spoil it too much for you.