Just like to report a bug with Mark of Arkay. I assume it's the same with any death alternative mod. When you unlock the boots you get put into bleedout which triggers the death alternative script. At least that was the case for me.

Or it might just be related to the fact that I'm playing in VR. I did test it 3 times though so it's definitely reproducable.

One note about doing this in VR. Although it works, the furniture is something that's broken in VR. You will be spinning constantly and the furniture itself is in invisible most of the time. Which also bugs out the sex scene. Cause after the sex you can't interact with the furniture anymore. So you have to put it on bondage game->1 hour or you'll get stuck.

On 8/16/2022 at 5:23 AM, finalfrog said:

Hide contents

The BTPS algorithm for choosing what to hover over ignores objects obscured by other objects, even if there are gaps in the first object big enough for the user to interact with objects on the other side. I had to switch to first person in order to interact with the key on the other side of the door.

I see, yeah that'd mess with it a bit. If you can still switch to 1st person easily with those mods I don't think it's much of a problem. But I'll put a small warning at the incompatibilities section anyway that some parts in this mod require manipulating objects by dragging them, or relatively precise camera movement, so that people who mod their camera / play 3rd person exclusively know that they may have to switch to 1st person sometimes. Thanks for letting me know.

On 8/17/2022 at 4:29 AM, ChandraArgentis said:

I finally got my copy of SE working again to see if this was an interesting mod.  Unfortunately, it's just completely frustrating and seems bugged for me.  I managed to get as far as reading the note, but that's it.  I've interacted with literally everything in the room and there's nothing I haven't touched.  I'd assume that something critical clipped through a wall or something.  The mod mentioned that there were 'hints' but, unfortunately, there seem to be none.  At least, not in the first room.

Hm.

Spoiler

First things first: which version are you using?

Next, to confirm: you got a note from the courier, went to Dragon Bridge, drank the wine and got transported to the quest cell, yes? And it's the first room you then find yourself in that you have trouble with? There should be a torch on the wall that's interactable, a uh, rather obvious blue glowing orb that you can talk to for hints, as well as some other stuff you can interact with. If those are not there or you can't interact with them, something else is messing with the mod. Without more info I can't really guess what. Could be anything from a bad download to mod conflict to Bethesda Jank (TM). Send me a screenshot of the room, maybe I can take a better guess.

On 8/18/2022 at 12:47 AM, indolu said:

Nothing big, but it might be nice to add some special dialogue for if you make it to your captor but still wear the punishment collar, or blindfold. Also adding a possible ring boots, gloves, and other restraints for orb punishment.

First thing is easy enough and I agree it'd add something (reactive NPCs are always good). I'll probably add some at some point.

I won't add other devices for the orb because I don't see a point to it, and it could mess with the script logic in the rest of the quest. There'll be room for such things in the next part.

3 hours ago, l1nkler said:

Just like to report a bug with Mark of Arkay. I assume it's the same with any death alternative mod. When you unlock the boots you get put into bleedout which triggers the death alternative script. At least that was the case for me.

Or it might just be related to the fact that I'm playing in VR. I did test it 3 times though so it's definitely reproducable.

One note about doing this in VR. Although it works, the furniture is something that's broken in VR. You will be spinning constantly and the furniture itself is in invisible most of the time. Which also bugs out the sex scene. Cause after the sex you can't interact with the furniture anymore. So you have to put it on bondage game->1 hour or you'll get stuck.

Interesting bug. The boots unlock event only puts you into ragdoll, not bleedout, so I don't see why that would interfere with death alternative mods unless those check the ragdoll event (which they shouldn't, because it's not fatal!). Maybe the ragdoll state makes you vulnerable to physics damage? Aside from being a nauseating experience, I can imagine VR + Havok physics could mess up enough to cause fatal damage.

That VR furniture bug sounds unfortunate. That's more a DD bug though, not my mod. Perhaps post it in the DD development thread, though I suspect it's a nasty VR camera bug that's deeper down. Thanks for the workaround suggestion, though ?

3 hours ago, sunnydayknight said:

Love this app so far!  I am hyped to see the next chapter!  

I'd love to see some more furniture contraptions, maybe traps that can set you back in your progress (adding an armbinder that you can remove the same way as before).
Perhaps an integration/alternate start with SS+ ?

For your first suggestion, stay tuned ?.

Regarding integrating with other mods: I'm not gonna do that right now, got my hands full with part 2 first. I've no objections to someone else doing it, though.

1 hour ago, davidxs said:

i need some help getting out of the mittens. i tried touching the orb and nothing happens. i  have tried everything so i really need help orb does not work

(also @Blancismine) Did the orb work earlier and just does not reply now, or did it never talk?

Did you

Spoiler

Get the Black Bear Key yet? If not:

Spoiler

Check outside the locked door of the second room. You might need something to swipe the key towards you.

If yes:

Spoiler

The mittens prevent you from using the key normally, but you already solved that problem with the hood, remember? You

Spoiler

Jammed the key in a wall and unlocked the device that way. It'll work again.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:10 PM, ShadowDraggon said:

Great Mod, I really love it!

I only had to look up the location of 1 key, the one for the display case, and it was just where i looked 3 times before, fml. ?

Figured everything else out despite never having played something like this.

How far are you with part 2?

Hide contents

I read that you are considering that players at some point have to equip some devices to progress, but i can't think of many ways to implement that.

Maybe with some enchantments, like increasing movement speed to get through a segment which teleports you back if you're too slow. Or with items, like potions, you get as a reward for equipping devices.  Maybe there is some observer, who opens some sort of secret door, but only if you are wearing [insert device/s here]? But all of those don't have anything to do with the devices themselves, I just can't think of something that you could do while wearing, let's say, an armbinder, that you couldn't while not wearing it. Maybe a riddle that hints at what you have to wear?

Those are just a few ideas that you probably thought of already.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I can't wait for the second part to release!?

Thanks for the praise ? Part 2 is still many months away, I mostly just have a bunch of ideas written down so far. I only just started making some environments in the CK for part 2 today. Sketching, if you will. So there's plenty of time for suggestions! Speaking of, regarding your suggestions:

Spoiler

Your second point is pretty darn close to my own ideas, actually, though who knows what I'll end up implementing. The first I hadn't thought of, so thanks!

3 hours ago, Frayed said:
Spoiler

First things first: which version are you using?

Next, to confirm: you got a note from the courier, went to Dragon Bridge, drank the wine and got transported to the quest cell, yes? And it's the first room you then find yourself in that you have trouble with? There should be a torch on the wall that's interactable, a uh, rather obvious blue glowing orb that you can talk to for hints, as well as some other stuff you can interact with. If those are not there or you can't interact with them, something else is messing with the mod. Without more info I can't really guess what. Could be anything from a bad download to mod conflict to Bethesda Jank (TM). Send me a screenshot of the room, maybe I can take a better guess.

Yes, that's correct.  You can see from one of the screenshots how far I was able to progress.  The sun and moon thing just gives me a buff to touching and nothing else.

I coulda sworn that I updated, but it seems that I was on 0.2.0.7.  I'm updating now in case that fixes it.  Screenshots attached anyways though.

Spoiler

20220819195837_1.jpg

20220819195845_1.jpg

20220819195849_1.jpg

20220819195905_1.jpg

Edited by ChandraArgentis
8 hours ago, Frayed said:

(also @Blancismine) Did the orb work earlier and just does not reply now, or did it never talk?

Did you

Hide contents

Get the Black Bear Key yet? If not:

Hide contents

Check outside the locked door of the second room. You might need something to swipe the key towards you.

If yes:

Hide contents

The mittens prevent you from using the key normally, but you already solved that problem with the hood, remember? You

Hide contents

Jammed the key in a wall and unlocked the device that way. It'll work again.

After paying the price for knowledge, the orb doesn't show any clues for removing paw mittens unless asking about what to do next and the orb only says that I have to remove the remaining restraints.

Spoiler

Yes, I have no issues of getting the Black Bear Key, so I have the Black Bear Key already. The issue is when I brought the key to the place where I had solved the hood problem, the message "Which device are you trying to remove with this?" shows only four prompts of choice: None, Belt, Gag, and Piercings. There's no option to remove the mittens. The orb also no choice prompts on how to remove paw mittens.

Spoiler

image.jpeg.4eed2d84fc7ae45d6254ade98936461d.jpeg

Spoiler

image.jpeg.1710ef86ad629745ef5071a2a0d1de65.jpeg

6 hours ago, ChandraArgentis said:

Yes, that's correct.  You can see from one of the screenshots how far I was able to progress.  The sun and moon thing just gives me a buff to touching and nothing else.

I coulda sworn that I updated, but it seems that I was on 0.2.0.7.  I'm updating now in case that fixes it.  Screenshots attached anyways though.

Reveal hidden contents

20220819195837_1.jpg

20220819195845_1.jpg

20220819195849_1.jpg

20220819195905_1.jpg

Well, that explains the orb not being there - that was only added in 0.3. From your screenshot I can see

Spoiler

the torch on the wall, which I suppose is the culprit: there's a rare bug I've found every oh, 20 tests or so I do where the trigger box for that torch and only that torch somehow disappears. I thought it was a CK saving bug, but if you've encountered it on one of the published versions, it might not be. I'm guessing it's some kind of bug that mispositions the trigger while loading it in for the first time, and then it saves the wrong position so that it isn't fixed by a reload either. It's tricky to debug since I can't reliably reproduce it, but I'll have a look at it, since it's rather gamebreaking.

59 minutes ago, Blancismine said:

After paying the price for knowledge, the orb doesn't show any clues for removing paw mittens unless asking about what to do next and the orb only says that I have to remove the remaining restraints.

Hide contents

Yes, I have no issues of getting the Black Bear Key, so I have the Black Bear Key already. The issue is when I brought the key to the place where I had solved the hood problem, the message "Which device are you trying to remove with this?" shows only four prompts of choice: None, Belt, Gag, and Piercings. There's no option to remove the mittens. The orb also no choice prompts on how to remove paw mittens.

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpeg.4eed2d84fc7ae45d6254ade98936461d.jpeg

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpeg.1710ef86ad629745ef5071a2a0d1de65.jpeg

Hm. Okay, that's a bug. I coded those options to only show up if you're actually wearing the device (specifically, it checks for the DD keyword, for mittens "zad_deviousbondagemittens"). If the option isn't showing up on either the menu or the orb, that means the game thinks you're not wearing them. I suspect this is probably the DD bug of devices ending up in an invalid state. Happened a lot on older DD versions if you spammed equip/unequipped on a device. I'll see if I can change the conditions so that that DD bug doesn't break the quest. To fix stuff on your end the easiest is probably to

Spoiler

run the console command setstage Frayescapequest 44, that'll unlock the mittens. You've already solved all steps required anyway.

15 hours ago, Frayed said:

That VR furniture bug sounds unfortunate. That's more a DD bug though, not my mod. Perhaps post it in the DD development thread, though I suspect it's a nasty VR camera bug that's deeper down. Thanks for the workaround suggestion, though ?

Yes they're aware of it. I just thought of pointing it out since VR is listed as compatible. Best thing for VR users would be to skip the furniture scenes entirly but that would be to much work. Having to put your restraints back on for the sex scenes instead of the pilory would probably be the best thing for VR users. Or just skip that scene entirly.

On 5/24/2022 at 5:45 PM, Frayed said:

Description:
The Trappings of Fate is a Devious Devices-meets-escape-room themed puzzle/quest mod. Find yourself tied up in quite a predicament, wriggle and puzzle yourself back to freedom, and explore a story about the nature of fate while you do so.

Could you give a few more details on what the gist of "the nature of fate" is? I ask because I am looking for a quest mod that would be a decent enough background for becoming a succubus with PSQ or Children of Lilith to roleplay with.

This one seems like it has potential but I would like to know a bit more about the story before I try it. Doesn't have to be specifics if you want to avoid spoilers, just a general gist of the events. Thanks in advance :)

I'm having issues with the magical barrier not going away using the sse version. I'm not certain if this is an issue with the mod or I'm not solving the puzzle correctly. It is the last thing I have to do in the dungeon and I can't get anything to work. I've already done the thing with the pillory and the barrier is still there.

So if anyone can just give me the solution so I can see if it's an error I should report that would be great.

Edit: I did find a way to solve this by persuading the demon (upgrading speech with console commands) but by default my character doesn't possess a high enough speech skill. Is there another way to solve this I'm missing or is this the only way

Edited by The_Great_God_Om
On 8/20/2022 at 2:48 PM, Frayed said:

Hm. Okay, that's a bug. I coded those options to only show up if you're actually wearing the device (specifically, it checks for the DD keyword, for mittens "zad_deviousbondagemittens"). If the option isn't showing up on either the menu or the orb, that means the game thinks you're not wearing them. I suspect this is probably the DD bug of devices ending up in an invalid state. Happened a lot on older DD versions if you spammed equip/unequipped on a device. I'll see if I can change the conditions so that that DD bug doesn't break the quest. To fix stuff on your end the easiest is probably to

Reveal hidden contents

run the console command setstage Frayescapequest 44, that'll unlock the mittens. You've already solved all steps required anyway.

Thank you, I was able to proceed with the progress. I stumbled upon another issue when I successfully removed Harness:

Spoiler

The Plug which can be removed right after the Harness removal should contain a key to proceed to the quest right? After I removed the harness and then the plug, after they lay on the floor, I used the Use key button to the plug but there was no text or option to "Examine" the plug to search for a key. it rather automatically added the Plug to character inventory as an armor equipment.

However, this is a great and enjoyable mod so far. Thank you again.

On 8/19/2022 at 2:23 PM, Frayed said:

Thanks for the praise ? Part 2 is still many months away, I mostly just have a bunch of ideas written down so far. I only just started making some environments in the CK for part 2 today. Sketching, if you will. So there's plenty of time for suggestions! Speaking of, regarding your suggestions:

Months?  Uggggh

JK ;)  I know quality takes time, and this is quality. from the implementation to the dialogue to the puzzles, it was fun from start to finish.  Looking forward to what this will become down the road!

LE user here.

Right after I drink the wine and get teleported the whole thing seems to softlock, this may be caused by the paralysis effect lasting too long since the furniture my character is supposed to be locked in is invisible and only shows up after I struggle out of it, but doing that seems to "eject" my character through the ceiling with me being completely unable to move, access to inventory, magic, map and skills are available, but not very useful when I can't move at all or really do much.

Excellent mod !

I was very confused a the beginning. Had to get a lot of "hints" ^^

This and "Thief "are my favorite "sex adventure" mods hands down !

This is a true compliment because I tend to judge quest mods harshly and only "Thief" satisfied me so far

I compliment you for the excellent writing !

Ah, good to hear that my thoughts are somewhat of use to you :)

I started thinking again, so here's what i've got:

Spoiler

My thought process at first was "What can a bound player do, that they can't do unbound?", but i've changed my point of view this time.

"What can a Player NOT do, without equipment and magic?"

They can still use powers, shouts and influence some of their stats. The three stats that they can't easily influence are: Unarmed Damage, Jumpheight, and Speed

The timed hallway might be countered by Wuld Nah Kest, and there are damaging shouts as well, so eather disable shouts during those puzzles, or have those devices be optional somehow.

On the other hand, there are some enchantments ingame that might be of interest, like Resist Magic, Resist Disease, Resist Poison, Waterbreathing,... I'm against players being able to take damage outside of combat, even if just because of the large possible health difference that different players may have, so maybe some sort of invisible wall as a implementation of the character not wanting to drown/get electrocuted/get sick.

Wait, wasn't there a ring that lets you use a spell? Yes, but spells would be useless here. What about powers? Right, there's the Visage of Mzund as an example. How about pseudo powers to advance the puzzle? Powers without an actual effect, that provide a visual effect and set an event flag or something to advance the queststage. Then there's also that one necklace frome the college questline, where you can "see magic" and break the wall.

I hope this can give you some more ideas, and good luck with your sketching. ?

(I thought about this for maybe an hour or two, this is a shortened version of that)

After I got this mod to work (by using coc commands, fast travel and somehow going through a 'load-door')

I have a suggestion to make; change the dremora's end location after the 'buisness' has been concluded, this is mainly because he is JUST outside of talking range, this softlocked me until I used a weird combo of freecam and one or two other commands to get myself into talking range.

Other than that it was a fun mod to experience, I've never done anything like an escape room before, so this was a good brain workout, I can't wait for part two.

Interesting find.

When I talked tot he tavern keeper after meeting with the Greybeards, the quest did not show up in the text.

I had a save before I did the Dragonstone quest in Bleak Falls Barrow, and went to the tavern, and the quest was still available.

I haven't experimented yet when the quest becomes unavailable.  Those were the only two saves I had to work with.

I will let you know.

7 hours ago, Xuvish said:

Interesting find.

When I talked tot he tavern keeper after meeting with the Greybeards, the quest did not show up in the text.

I had a save before I did the Dragonstone quest in Bleak Falls Barrow, and went to the tavern, and the quest was still available.

I haven't experimented yet when the quest becomes unavailable.  Those were the only two saves I had to work with.

I will let you know.

I loaded an earlier save and completed the Greybeard quest and was able to get the quest from the innkeeper.