The Trappings of Fate

View File

Description:
The Trappings of Fate is a Devious Devices-meets-escape-room themed puzzle/quest mod. Find yourself tied up in quite a predicament, wriggle and puzzle yourself back to freedom, and explore a story about the nature of fate while you do so.

Version 2.0.2 is still a beta release. You may encounter bugs, softlocks, unpolished or unfinished content and bad difficulty balancing. If you're okay with that, try it out! If you get stuck somewhere, you can check the walkthrough for now to see if you're missing something, and/or post in the thread and I (and/or others) can help you out for now.

Version 1.2.0 is stable.

How to start:
First quest (A Snare To Loosen): You'll be handed a Letter of Thanks by the courier after travel to any location after you've reached level 9.

Second quest (The Gordian Bind, v2.0.0+): Depending on how you completed A Snare To Loosen, you'll either be handed an invitation by the courier, or you may be lured in.

Requirements:
- Sexlab
- Sexlab Aroused (alternative Sexlab Aroused frameworks should work)
- Devious Devices (v5.2 or newer, LE / SE).

- Fuz Ro D-oh (LE / SE) if you're not using one of the voice packs, or all dialogue will be unreadably fast.

Installation:

Install as normal using a mod manager.

Compatibility:

• LE/AE/VR: I myself only test on SE, but multiple people report it working on LE as well. Let me know in the thread if it doesn't.
  • Devious Devices NG should be compatible.
  • Try not to start the quest wearing devious devices and especially similar devices from other mods. This mod (unsurprisingly) tries to equip its own scripted devices at some point, and existing devices can interfere and cause all sorts of unintended consequences.
  • The exit of the quest's main area may conflict with mods that change the Solitude outside region, and end up in a wall somewhere. Let me know in the thread if this happens so a patch can be made.
  • No other incompatibilities that I know of, at the moment!

FAQ:

• Q: "I'm stuck on a puzzle!"
    A: Ask the orb for a hint in-game.
  • Q: "The Orb doesn't have an appropriate hint!"
    A:
    Look at the mod walkthrough.
  • Q: "I looked at the walkthrough, but it doesn't work in my game!"
    A: Could be a bug, or a mod conflict. Ask in the thread. If you do, please post which version you are using!
  • Q: "The courier never shows up to start the quest!"
    A: If you're already higher level than 9, quicktravel somewhere else. He should show up afterwards. If not, let me know in the thread!
  • Q: "Can't I start the quest at a lower/higher level?"
    A: Yes. Type "set FrayEQMinLevel to X" into your console, where X is the level from which you'd like to start the quest. After, just travel to another location and the courier should show up to start the quest.

All folk that brought and continue to bring us Devious Devices.

@krzp for the xVASynth voice pack for A Snare to Loosen / v1.2.0.
missjennabee & Nazenn for eye textures for NPCs from "Improved Eyes Skyrim".
Kalilies, Stealthic and others for mesh & textures for NPC hair from "KS Hairdos".

Aelie's browser game Escape Games for inspiration (https://aelie.altervista.org/, specifically the Lia's [x] ones). They're great, check them out!

Layam for the collar mesh.

MaikCG for the dwarven cuirass model and Asrienda for its 3BA port.

Permissions:
You are free to reuse anything in this mod with a few key exceptions:

• For its redistributed parts mentioned in the Thanks section. For those you'll have to check the original mod's permissions.
  • You cannot redistribute this mod's content in any for-profit project, lock it behind a paywall, or use it for commercial purposes.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    05/24/2022
  • Category
  • Requires
    Sexlab SE, Sexlab Aroused SE (or equivalent), Devious Devices SE (v5.2 or newer), Fuz Ro D-oh
  • Regular Edition Compatible
    Yes

Edited by Frayed

Hello folks! This here is a mod I've been making for a long while now, and it's finally reached the stage where I can release it. This file in its current state contains the first quest of what I intend to be a three-part quest mod. By itself it should offer a fairly brief, self-contained little bondage/puzzle adventure that hopefully will have you wanting more by the end.

Now, I find it very tricky to judge the difficulty of a puzzle mod as the person who created the puzzles, so this is where I'll need your help. If you're feeling adventurous, try out the mod, and let me know any of the following:

• Did you encounter any technical issues?
  • What did you think of the difficulty of the puzzles: too easy, too hard? Please use a spoiler tag to avoid spoiling others.
  • What did you think of the writing / characters?
  • Typos.

And lastly, what would you like to see in the next two quests? I have a fair bit lined out, but ideas for puzzles, suggestions for specific devices / predicaments or cool environments are more than welcome.

Edited by Frayed

Hey, I love the concept of this. Puzzles with some DD mixed in sounds great

But one thing, Vortex is saying this conflicts with Joyful Followers:

specifically (Scripts\defaultsetstageonplayeraquire.pex)

Idk what that does, or how important it is, or what the difference in it is between these 2 mods. Just thought I'd let you know about that (for now, I'll just disable JF, as I don't really use followers enough to warrant keeping it anyways)

so i have gotten to the sun and moon part with the boots and im stumped, i know it has something to do with the moon on the wall, and the only thing i can see to represent the sun is the candle beside the moon but i cant find a way to combine them. could use some help, otherwise so far everthing is nicely done.

4 hours ago, Literally just a cat said:

Idk what that does, or how important it is, or what the difference in it is between these 2 mods. Just thought I'd let you know about that (for now, I'll just disable JF, as I don't really use followers enough to warrant keeping it anyways)

S.L.U.T.S Resume also appears to use the defaultsetstageonplayeraquire.pex script and MO2 says it conflicts as well.

Edited by BillBellochek
8 hours ago, Literally just a cat said:

4 hours ago, BillBellochek said:

S.L.U.T.S Resume also appears to use the defaultsetstageonplayeraquire.pex script and MO2 says it conflicts as well.

Never checked for that earlier, but those default[...].pex scripts are provided by the base game and I don't think any mod should overwrite them ?

i ran into a control problem with mod. I made it into the second room and found the stone mask under water. I know i have to cover it up, I have no clue how. It says to focus on the mask, I do, and then my chracter can't turn to the left or right all of a sudden. Anybody else run into this problem or have any idea how to cover up the stone mask?

Very fun mod!

In fact, it actually works with LE, I had to try it!

One suggestion: send DHSuspend event to suspend DCL and similar mods so they won't kick in. It was quite fun but obviously unintended to get all wrapped up in bunch of bondage items after opening one of the bookcases :D

24 minutes ago, notwavman said:

Very fun mod!

One suggestion: send DHSuspend event to suspend DCL and similar mods so they won't kick in. It was quite fun but obviously unintended to get all wrapped up in bunch of bondage items after opening one of the bookcases :D

The correct function would be

SendModEvent("dhlp-Suspend")

and it's a great idea, as many mods use this as flag to supress their actions (mine included ^^)

Just don't forget to unlock everything at the end:

SendModEvent("dhlp-Resume")

i managed to figure out waht was happening with the movement glitch and confronted the main boss. I basically said I wanted another go around, she said to hold still, and then nothing happened. Is there another puzzle after the first one to go through again or, for right now is there just the first puzzle, you confront her, and that's it more will be coming?

13 hours ago, ghiffary24 said:

the courier sent me the note of thanks, but after i read it and drink the wine, nothing happens. any help?

having same problem.  drinking the wine does nothing. There has to be some other mod interfering. Installed normally using MO2 and I have all the requirement mods active

i feel extremely dumb but i cant figure out how to continue after the boots 

Spoiler

i feel like it would be the gag next but i really dont know. it could be the harness too but i am completely stuck and the hint doesn't really help when i dont know how to open the display box

Just finished the mod and I must say I had a great time. I really liked the exploration and the need to move the items around in 3D. It's really underused mechanic. I'm looking forward to continuation of the mod~

Whew, that's a lot of responses. Alright then. *cracks knuckles*

18 hours ago, Literally just a cat said:

14 hours ago, BillBellochek said:

9 hours ago, Mister X said:

Never checked for that earlier, but those default[...].pex scripts are provided by the base game and I don't think any mod should overwrite them ?

Whoops. I agree with what Mister X said, I should definitely not be overwriting those scripts. I'm guessing I re-generated them when I checked out what they were doing, I don't think I'm modifying any of them. Noted, will fix in next update.

11 hours ago, fenrir34 said:

I Cant figure out the gag,

Hide contents

I found the key and unlocked the display case but i cant figure out what to do with the knife.

If you're still struggling,

Spoiler

Use the grindstone, it will sharpen the knife. Then just escape gag.

13 hours ago, theopu23 said:

Any future plans for LE?

8 hours ago, notwavman said:

Very fun mod!

7 hours ago, Mister X said:

The correct function would be

SendModEvent("dhlp-Suspend")

and it's a great idea, as many mods use this as flag to supress their actions (mine included ^^)

Just don't forget to unlock everything at the end:

SendModEvent("dhlp-Resume")

Concerning LE: Happy to hear it works on LE (for now), but I don't find hunting down bugs due to differences between LE/SE/AE/VR/ToddHowardsCut Skyrim versions fun, so I'll only offer support for one version.

About the event suspending DCL and others: thanks, that's a great idea! I'll do that.

14 hours ago, ghiffary24 said:

the courier sent me the note of thanks, but after i read it and drink the wine, nothing happens. any help?

1 hour ago, darksong said:

having same problem.  drinking the wine does nothing. There has to be some other mod interfering. Installed normally using MO2 and I have all the requirement mods active

I encountered this a few times in my testing, but only when I had godmode (tgm) toggled on. Did you have this turned on, or does your character have any sources of magic / debuff resistance or immunity? Anyway, noted, and I'll try to fix it in the next version.

5 hours ago, davidxs said:

i managed to figure out waht was happening with the movement glitch and confronted the main boss. I basically said I wanted another go around, she said to hold still, and then nothing happened. Is there another puzzle after the first one to go through again or, for right now is there just the first puzzle, you confront her, and that's it more will be coming?

Spoiler tagged for obvious reasons:

Spoiler

Could you elaborate on what was happening with the movement? Talking to the mask should be normal dialogue, was there something wrong with movement outside of the dialogue?

For the boss: picking that option should lead either into combat with the boss (if you've escaped a certain device) or lead to a small placeholder messagebox (if you haven't) saying you've reached the end of what I've implemented until now. I haven't made the next quest yet, this is all that's in for now.

39 minutes ago, SilentAntagonist121 said:

I've only just started, so no real comment on the whole mod yet, but am I right in seeing the inspiration from the 'Lia's' games?

Sharp eye. Yes, definitely. What's the part that tipped you off? ?I should probably credit those in the thanks section, actually.

3 hours ago, Isildur1235 said:

So decided to try your mod. I can't say it is very easy I mean it's possible to solve those puzzles in time but really those hints are not enough, I figured how to remove every device except piercing, plug and harness and I have no idea how to do it, hence I can't finish this. I have encountered crush everytime I try to talk with daedric altair second time. If there is way to remove those three remaining restrants I just can't figured that out.

Again spoilers:

Spoiler

To clarify, your game crashed while talking with the daedric altar? Was this before or after you made a deal with it?

For the harness: did you find the notes on Daedric magic? They contain hints. Now, which parts in the room involve Daedric magic? Can you use these somehow?

To everyone saying you got stuck somewhere: I hear you, but rather than replying to you all with hints individually I'll see if I can improve the puzzles. I see some people struggling with early bits, some with late, and some solving everything, so I don't see a clear bottleneck, at least. Maybe I'll implement an in-game mechanic for hints. But I think then I should also make the hints have a cost. Any suggestions? ?

This was a great 'little' quest mod!

It took me a good 30 minutes to get through it all and I left

Spoiler

the piercings

on to see what happened with them. Overall It was fun and there where a few solutions that I honestly scratched my head and went. "They can't really mean for me to do this can they?" I did have one kind of odd issue that I'll leave in the spoilers below. Though I should say the npc also froze up after finishing the more enthusiastic dialogue. Tried talking to her again and she said her first lines of dialogue then proceeded to enter combat. She ended up paralyzed the quest failed and I got the message box for the end. Soooo Successful? As for the one weird device issue I had...

Spoiler

I read both the books talking about the daedric enchantments and they where both kind of unclear, but I got the gist of it and figured it had something to do with arousal. However. Seemingly by happenstance. (And a rather powerful vibrator ?) I got the message that it had become loose while trying to find a way to open the knife case and was able to take it off. This kind of makes the piercings a bit more tricky to figure out because it makes it seem more like random chance that these two items can get taken off at some point.  At least based on character arousal.

Other then that everything seemed to work great and it was a fun ride. Hope to see more but I can only imagine the work it takes to make escape room based physics puzzles is the CK.

Edited by isee