11 11... 2021... Skyrim Doomsday !

On 11/11/2021 at 11:56 AM, Just Don't said:

Disabled updates.

Made a backup of the exe/dll files.

Today: I check Steam, a pending update for Skyrim SE.

I open the game as usual.

No update is made.

This is truly the end of SE. I'm shacking.

I did the same, yet strangely, update was done.  May be a quirk of Steam on Linux.

Glad I made a backup.  Doubly glad I now have a setup that is immune to future updates (SSE files moved into a wine prefix).  I have thought some about writing mods but this entire issue makes me think that MicroThesda could decide to phase out free modding in favor of "customer engagement", i.e. paid content.  They would never even have to admit it, merely break compatibility enough that their competition is in shambles.

On 11/2/2021 at 12:59 PM, spoonsinger said:

Just to note under the new steam download page the 'Missing file privileges' message is now a more scary 'DISK WRITE ERROR' message. However still the best way of stopping Steam updating something you don't want updated. eg :-

image.png.ef5853cf1646aa2ead632eec174bfce6.png

Just one thing about this.

For the lucky ones who made backups and are using this method to still play Skyrim SE 

>> !!! BEWARE OF THE STEAM UPDATE !!! <<< 

Seems when steam updates... the file appmanifest_489830.acf is replaced with a new one with FULL privileges. And that means you must reapply "read only" status after EACH STEAM UPDATE !

have fun! 

On 11/13/2021 at 1:55 PM, Vyxenne said:

Hope this helps you! ?

It helped :) ! Thank you ! 

I ll try vortex next time i promise. Though it will be probably 2 years from now on hahahaha 

But yes, Vortex features seem... very interesting. 

Have fun 
PS: i ll not continue this topic. Answered by pure kindness because someone has the kindness to answer my question.

Well isnt this the kick in the balls.

I was between upgarding my pc not sure i have an se install.

For those that might want se to work with mods but dont have an se backup (or new players wanting se mods), is there a fix on the cards for se?

Mod to allow prev mods haha if not i will moving to le

Also will the new skyrim version get mods?

5 hours ago, BlueBerryCaffe said:

For the lucky ones who made backups and are using this method to still play Skyrim SE 

Seems when steam updates... the file appmanifest_489830.acf is replaced with a new one with FULL privileges. And that means you must reapply "read only" status after EACH STEAM UPDATE !

have fun! 

I did notice that on the patch notes "Fixed issue causing error such as: "appmanifest_570.acf / Disk write error" - and thought well that's a pile of shit with them changing "my" file file privileges. on my PC without my consent. So for a test, backed up my Fallout 3 install, (which hasn't been updated since the change), and did the update. It didn't change the privileges on my set up, and when I tried the Fallout3 update it failed - which is what I wanted. I'm on Windows 7, so maybe other versions reacting differently. Anyway backup everything you want is always the best policy - and then backup it up somewhere else for safety.

23 minutes ago, spoonsinger said:

I did notice that on the patch notes "Fixed issue causing error such as: "appmanifest_570.acf / Disk write error" - and thought well that's a pile of shit with them changing "my" file file privileges. on my PC without my consent. So for a test, backed up my Fallout 3 install, (which hasn't been updated since the change), and did the update. It didn't change the privileges on my set up, and when I tried the Fallout3 update it failed - which is what I wanted. I'm on Windows 7, so maybe other versions reacting differently. Anyway backup everything you want is always the best policy - and then backup it up somewhere else for safety.

I just ran the client update on my Win 10 (20H2) setup and my manifest file retained its read-only status.

4 hours ago, spoonsinger said:
9 hours ago, BlueBerryCaffe said:

have fun! 

Expand  

I had renamed my SSE Manifest from appmanifest_489830.acf to appmanifest_489830.acf.hidden.2021116 a few days ago. Steam updated an hour ago when I booted up my machine- it's set to run on Login to make sure I don't forget to start it before launching with skse64_loader.exe. It did NOT create a new appmanifest file, and SSE is still greyed out in my Steam Library, meaning Steam still "thinks" it's not installed. I'm on Windows 10, so Steam's failure to re-create the file on Update is not limited to Windows 7 users.

That said, I realize that you guys are talking about leaving the appmanifest file in place and simply changing it to "Read Only" whereas I chose a more thorough option, so the failure of Steam to bla-bla-bla in my case doesn't necessarily transfer to your case.

Edited by Vyxenne
Because bla-bla-bla
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Vyxenne said:

Yes- revert your game to v1.5.97. You can start getting up to speed here.

Looking at the thread on the Nexus, the way to revert back to v1.5.97 doesn't work anymore, and like I said before, I don't have a backup, but from what it says the SKSE developers are working on updating it to work, and that it's going to happen "soon" so I think my best bet is to just wait until the SKSE update comes out. Thanks for your help anyways!