[mod] [Stellaris] Vanilla Framework

@Mugginnato So... I did some tampering myself, and... I think I made it work with Lewd Galaxy? But not really in an ideal patch sense? IDK

I got the portraits from Lewd Galaxy to appear with Vanilla Framework. _100_VF_Machine_classes.txt_101_VF_More_Vanilla Patch_1.10.txt_100_VF_Robot_classes.txt

These are the three files I modified, I was wondering if you could give it a lookover, and if its all good, I mean... its all there, could add to the mod patch set lol. 

I edited in the lines into those 3 files from your mod.

Edited by Screws
10 hours ago, Screws said:

@Mugginnato So... I did some tampering myself, and... I think I made it work with Lewd Galaxy? But not really in an ideal patch sense? IDK

I got the portraits from Lewd Galaxy to appear with Vanilla Framework. _100_VF_Machine_classes.txt_101_VF_More_Vanilla Patch_1.10.txt_100_VF_Robot_classes.txt

These are the three files I modified, I was wondering if you could give it a lookover, and if its all good, I mean... its all there, could add to the mod patch set lol. 

I edited in the lines into those 3 files from your mod.

Not sure if I did something wrong, but tried this out, and some of the VF species (The foxes specifically) were missing, and the vanilla portraits were back, which is not what I wanted. I used all three files. 

13 hours ago, RuseMcOoze said:

Not sure if I did something wrong, but tried this out, and some of the VF species (The foxes specifically) were missing, and the vanilla portraits were back, which is not what I wanted. I used all three files. 

That's cause I modified the vanilla races patch, the one that adds them back in. Sorry! I run a MP server and some people like the vanilla portraits so the patch was made with that in mind.

On 5/26/2022 at 7:56 PM, Jukashi said:

Just to be clear, is using the 3.4 patch file supposed to just return the original humanoids portraits to the game?

Yeah, sorry, was kinda unfocused and just wanted to get a patch out to help Gam. It does add them back in but I'll be fixing that with the next update. Now that I think about it, I didn't really need to make that a public patch since the two new enclaves wouldn't be affected by VF. I'd say you'd be fine without it.

On 5/28/2022 at 4:59 PM, RuseMcOoze said:

could a patch be made for lewd galaxy? 

Yup, I'll do that tomorrow. I've got time off now so I can get back to things here.

On 5/28/2022 at 9:43 PM, Screws said:

Love the mod so far :D

Thank you, always happy to hear that!

Sorry for not responding sooner everyone, the last 4 messages weren't here when I looked yesterday, not sure what happened there.

@Screws I gave them a quick look and I'd say they should work, Best practice would be to create a new patch file with everything in it so there's no/less issue with load orders. Here's a Lewd Galaxy patch for you and @RuseMcOoze, all the vanilla stuff is disabled but by the looks of things you should be able to change that with no problem if you wanted.

_101_VF_Lexd_Galaxy_Patch_1.3.txt

On 5/30/2022 at 4:36 PM, skinnynerd said:

Is anyone else having an issue with one of the futabots portraits not being randomized? All the options are available for the ruler, but every pop and the the leaders use the default species portrait.

Could you take a pic of which one it's happening to? And is this for robot or a machine empire? It might also be worth doing a fresh download and install in case of corruption.

14 minutes ago, Mugginnato said:

Sorry for not responding sooner everyone, the last 4 messages weren't here when I looked yesterday, not sure what happened there.

@Screws I gave them a quick look and I'd say they should work, Best practice would be to create a new patch file with everything in it so there's no/less issue with load orders. Here's a Lewd Galaxy patch for you and @RuseMcOoze, all the vanilla stuff is disabled but by the looks of things you should be able to change that with no problem if you wanted.

_101_VF_Lexd_Galaxy_Patch_1.3.txt 10.51 kB · 0 downloads

Could you take a pic of which one it's happening to? And is this for robot or a machine empire? It might also be worth doing a fresh download and install in case of corruption.

Oh I'm an idiot when it comes to editing the text files and stuff, I just took a shot in the dark and hoped it worked XD

Like I said, I'm part of the Lewd Stellaris MP RP Discord on here and some of our players like some of the vanilla portraits in. lol

16 minutes ago, Screws said:

Oh I'm an idiot when it comes to editing the text files and stuff, I just took a shot in the dark and hoped it worked XD

Like I said, I'm part of the Lewd Stellaris MP RP Discord on here and some of our players like some of the vanilla portraits in. lol

I wouldn't worry, looked like you knew what you were doing. It's pretty much how I make patches, which is copy the names from a mod and slap them into the VF list. I just left the vanilla sets off because VF is basically about removing them and anyone who wanted them back in could easily do it themselves. I don't even want to think about all the 'with/without vanilla' patches I'd have to make.

Not sure how much help it would be to you, but I did make something of a modders guide, though it's not finished (another thing on my todo pile). But here it is just in case.

On 1/8/2022 at 12:45 PM, Mugginnato said:

Okay, I'll just drop this here for now. Technically not finished, this is just a readability test to see if everyone can easily understand it or if I just ramble and backtrack too much. Comments, critiques and suggestions are welcome, but while this test is going on I'll work on the next update.

VF guide v2.pdf 3.54 MB · 38 downloads

Oh, forgot to say, best of luck with the MP RP stuff. I'm sure it can be troublesome to get everyone to agree to a mods list (that all works too) and online at the same time.

Edited by Mugginnato

Absolutely cant get this to work. I tried everything down to loading no mods but this one, yet all it does is replace a singular plantoid and mammal portrait

What could be the issue here? I'm missing necroid and aquatic species packs but loaded the fix for the necroids from the OP. None for aquatics yet

42 minutes ago, Hamakabula said:

Absolutely cant get this to work. I tried everything down to loading no mods but this one, yet all it does is replace a singular plantoid and mammal portrait

What could be the issue here? I'm missing necroid and aquatic species packs but loaded the fix for the necroids from the OP. None for aquatics yet

Well, it sounds like it's not reading the species_classes file properly, but it is replacing the baol  (blue plants) and ratlings (rat/mouse people) since VF uses the same name and would overwrite. A very odd case. My fisrt recommendation would be to delete the current VF folder then do a fresh download and install and test VF by itself. Something could be corrupted, but if that doesn't fix it then it might be the file names (a wild guess). I don't think the dlc species would matter much, but you can always try deleting their species file as another test, they'd be in VF/common/species_classes.

Hope this helps.

Deleting and reinstalling worked. Odd, I had purged my entire mod folder before and downloaded this for the first time.

Thanks for the quick reply though!

Edit: nvm, loading it with the rest of my mods un-fixed it. I'm guessing this needs to go as low in the LO as possible in order to overwrite other stuff? I currently have it at the bottom of the lewd mods (which are themselves at the bottom of the list just above patches), just above the vanilla species gender thing LV has. I don't have any portrait mods except from real humans and LV extras with its Bimbos, but both are new species and dont modify the base game portraits.

I'd really like this to work since everything else i've seen only adds extra stuff, leaving me with a few hypersexual cartoon aliens amidst base game random empires, which just looks off

Edited by Hamakabula
6 hours ago, Hamakabula said:

Deleting and reinstalling worked. Odd, I had purged my entire mod folder before and downloaded this for the first time.

Thanks for the quick reply though!

Edit: nvm, loading it with the rest of my mods un-fixed it. I'm guessing this needs to go as low in the LO as possible in order to overwrite other stuff? I currently have it at the bottom of the lewd mods (which are themselves at the bottom of the list just above patches), just above the vanilla species gender thing LV has. I don't have any portrait mods except from real humans and LV extras with its Bimbos, but both are new species and dont modify the base game portraits.

I'd really like this to work since everything else i've seen only adds extra stuff, leaving me with a few hypersexual cartoon aliens amidst base game random empires, which just looks off

VF should be the very last thing to load. You won't need to worry with it messing up most mods as it only really deals with portraits. If that doesn't work, then can you give me a list of any mods you use that might affect species? I'd like to give them a look and see where there could be a conflict.

3 hours ago, Mugginnato said:

VF should be the very last thing to load. You won't need to worry with it messing up most mods as it only really deals with portraits. If that doesn't work, then can you give me a list of any mods you use that might affect species? I'd like to give them a look and see where there could be a conflict.

After some more testing and using irony mod manager to analyse it, it looks like this is the culprit:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1620838511

Only other mod that modified the species_class files.

Irony mod managers tendency to try and be extra smart by changing and overwriting files with its own structure messed up my mods though so I can't do a test right now (still veryfying all the files and redoing my LO). But I wanted to post this anyway, maybe you can have a look and see if a compatibility patch is doable.
It's a pretty great mod adding a ton of things and I think the changes to species are minor

Edited by Hamakabula
2 hours ago, Hamakabula said:

After some more testing and using irony mod manager to analyse it, it looks like this is the culprit:

Irony mod managers tendency to try and be extra smart by changing and overwriting files with its own structure messed up my mods though so I can't do a test right now (still veryfying all the files and redoing my LO). But I wanted to post this anyway, maybe you can have a look and see if a compatibility patch is doable.
It's a pretty great mod adding a ton of things and I think the changes to species are minor

Okay, so I had a look and while it does have a classes file, it doesn't seem to do anything spacial with it. If VF is loaded after then there shouldn't be a problem, but I've never used Irony so I can't speak for it. Technically, you could make a patch by simply creating a blank file called 01_base_species_classes.txt and dropping in VF/common/species_classes.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:01 PM, Mugginnato said:

Okay, so I had a look and while it does have a classes file, it doesn't seem to do anything spacial with it. If VF is loaded after then there shouldn't be a problem, but I've never used Irony so I can't speak for it. Technically, you could make a patch by simply creating a blank file called 01_base_species_classes.txt and dropping in VF/common/species_classes.

Also usually dont use irony because it messes up stuff, but in this case it helped to find the conflict.

Anyway, i did add the patch file like you mentioned and had VF at the bottom of the load order, far below the other mod, as well as the 3,4 patch, but still all the species returned to normal. Very confusing

On 5/31/2022 at 3:02 PM, Mugginnato said:

I wouldn't worry, looked like you knew what you were doing. It's pretty much how I make patches, which is copy the names from a mod and slap them into the VF list. I just left the vanilla sets off because VF is basically about removing them and anyone who wanted them back in could easily do it themselves. I don't even want to think about all the 'with/without vanilla' patches I'd have to make.

Not sure how much help it would be to you, but I did make something of a modders guide, though it's not finished (another thing on my todo pile). But here it is just in case.

Oh, forgot to say, best of luck with the MP RP stuff. I'm sure it can be troublesome to get everyone to agree to a mods list (that all works too) and online at the same time.

Thanks!

We do have a pretty active group of players getting usually a minimum of 4 players per game. So it's going, but when you do mods and multiplayer... shit gets finnicky XD

40 minutes ago, Hamakabula said:

Also usually dont use irony because it messes up stuff, but in this case it helped to find the conflict.

Anyway, i did add the patch file like you mentioned and had VF at the bottom of the load order, far below the other mod, as well as the 3,4 patch, but still all the species returned to normal. Very confusing

I can only think of 2 possible solution (well, maybe 3);

1: Delete the 3.4 patch, then rename one of the species files so it doesn't start with the underscore as it might load differently on your system.

2: Create a 'patch' that uses the base game file names to overwrite them. But since you did the suggested patch, I doubt this would work.

3: Irony didn't really catch the problem, and you may need to test mods with VF in batches until it break again.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:31 PM, Mugginnato said:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. This is with a machine empire, and I can confirm it occurs with no mods other than vanilla framework running. this is off a fresh install. All pops and leaders are using this portrait except for the core intelligence.851080154_Screenshot2022-06-04205635.png.7c1b8ffe7e67924d4b66324410d264dd.png

On 6/3/2022 at 4:30 PM, Hamakabula said:

expanded pops is a 'cancer' mod. it touches thousands of vanilla things making compability a nightmare. he just doesn't want to play nice with all the other mods ?

12 hours ago, Mugginnato said:

I can only think of 2 possible solution (well, maybe 3);

1: Delete the 3.4 patch, then rename one of the species files so it doesn't start with the underscore as it might load differently on your system.

2: Create a 'patch' that uses the base game file names to overwrite them. But since you did the suggested patch, I doubt this would work.

3: Irony didn't really catch the problem, and you may need to test mods with VF in batches until it break again.

1. Didn't work. The underscore is correct also on my system

2. Not sure how to do that. The basegame only has 1 "01_base_species_classes.txt" while VF has 15 files - which one would I rename? Or do you mean names within the text files like "mam8"? Those are already the same between VF and vanilla, as far as i can tell

3. Nah, that mod definitely is the conflict, as as soon as I disable it completely, VF works.

The main issue I see is, that VF just doesn't seem to overwrite anything, regardless of where i put it in the LO (except the rat and the plant race, which are always owerwritten and always work). Why is that?

The closest I got to a fix was using an empty _01_base_species_classes.txt (WITH underscore). Then, when creating a new race, the "appearance" tab of race creation would be red, indicating a change/overwrite.

However, the actual VF portraits would not be there (again, except the rats and that one plant)

Isn't there any way to force VF to overwrite more than just these 2?

EDIT: Ah, I now understand that VF *hides* base portraits rather than overwriting them (using #). Doesn't do it with the rats, hence why they always appear.

However, if I remove the # (on a LO with a working VF) the base game portraits reappear (in addition to the VF ones), probably because the VF portraits use different names. How could I make the basegame names target the VF portraits in order to overwrite the basegame portraits?

Edited by Hamakabula
6 hours ago, skinnynerd said:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. This is with a machine empire, and I can confirm it occurs with no mods other than vanilla framework running. this is off a fresh install. All pops and leaders are using this portrait except for the core intelligence.

No bother, I'll have a look today and see if I can get a fix for you.

4 hours ago, alaunus01 said:

expanded pops is a 'cancer' mod. it touches thousands of vanilla things making compability a nightmare. he just doesn't want to play nice with all the other mods ?

Thanks for the heads up, I'll stick it on the bad list. Guess I didn't look hard enough.

3 hours ago, Hamakabula said:

1. Didn't work. The underscore is correct also on my system

2. Not sure how to do that. The basegame only has 1 "01_base_species_classes.txt" while VF has 15 files - which one would I rename? Or do you mean names within the text files like "mam8"? Those are already the same between VF and vanilla, as far as i can tell

3. Nah, that mod definitely is the conflict, as as soon as I disable it completely, VF works.

The main issue I see is, that VF just doesn't seem to overwrite anything, regardless of where i put it in the LO (except the rat and the plant race, which are always owerwritten and always work). Why is that?

The closest I got to a fix was using an empty _01_base_species_classes.txt (WITH underscore). Then, when creating a new race, the "appearance" tab of race creation would be red, indicating a change/overwrite.

However, the actual VF portraits would not be there (again, except the rats and that one plant)

Isn't there any way to force VF to overwrite more than just these 2?

EDIT: Ah, I now understand that VF *hides* base portraits rather than overwriting them (using #). Doesn't do it with the rats, hence why they always appear.

However, if I remove the # (on a LO with a working VF) the base game portraits reappear (in addition to the VF ones), probably because the VF portraits use different names. How could I make the basegame names target the VF portraits in order to overwrite the basegame portraits?

VF tries not to overwrite files because so many other mods use the vanilla file names that it would just create more conflicts. VF overwrites the species by being the last mod to load that says 'HUM = x'. 

We have 2 options to try then:

1: Taking the _01_base_species_classes.txt file you created and then copy and paste all the VF species files into it (I'll do that)

2: Go into the portrait files and rename the sets to use base game ones (like the ratmen). 

The last one will take a bit of work, so I'll just drop these files for you to see if that'll fix it first. If not, then we'll try option 2.

00_species_classes.txt01_base_species_classes.txt

You can try these as are, or with an underscore if that doesn't work.

7 hours ago, skinnynerd said:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. This is with a machine empire, and I can confirm it occurs with no mods other than vanilla framework running. this is off a fresh install. All pops and leaders are using this portrait except for the core intelligence.851080154_Screenshot2022-06-04205635.png.7c1b8ffe7e67924d4b66324410d264dd.png

Well, I found the culprit, a single missing bracket. That portrait was set to the default for previews but since there was a missing bracket, none of the other sets were recognised.

Just pop this into VF/gfx/portraits/portraits and overwrite.

100_VF_Machines.txt

12 hours ago, nuggetperson said:

Hi, It looks like the file patching the overlord dlc is unavaliable, does anyone have sulotion to this?

You should be fine without it, it was the first patch I made after an extended bit away from modding. I'd forgotten that the new enclaves would still appear because VF doesn't use base game file names. It was mainly a patch for someone having issues with SE Humans 2 (vanilla humanoids are active), but if you still want/need it then you can still get it on This Page or on page 6 of this thread.