Mugginnato

[mod] [Stellaris] Vanilla Framework

[Stellaris] Vanilla Framework

Vanilla Framework (Beta 0.7)

What is it?

Vanilla Framework is is a small(ish) mod I made to replace all the vanilla portraits with ones that are a bit more interesting. I used a mod to remove them, and it did decent enough, but the little blighters always managed to sneak into my games through things like events or Pre-Sapients. Not the sort of thing you want after going through the trouble of installing all those other portrait mods.

What does it do?

This alpha version is a working minimum, so it has at least One portrait set for each species. At present it adds;

• 3 Arthropoid sets (124 images)
  • 3 Avian sets (126 images)
  • 2 Fungoid sets (119 images)
  • 5 Humanoid sets (290 images)
  • 2 Lithoid sets (85 images)
  • 5 Mammalian sets (329 images)
  • 4 Molluscoid sets (201 images)
  • 4 Necroid set (192 images)
  • 3 Plantoid sets (103 images)
  • 3 Reptilian set (190 images)

I've also rolled in the portrait sets from my other small mod, Fembots and Gynoids which add 2 portrait sets to both Machine empires and Robot workers with a total of 164 images.

Total Mod Images: 1,950

Compatibility

• This mod is designed to be fully compatible with Lustful Void's gender traits but can still be played without them. 
  • This mod is incompatible with other mods that use the base games Species Classes file. 
  • Compatibility patches will be made as mentions of conflicts arise.

1. By default, each species will use the Male and Female image sets, but when used with Lustful Void, you can also use the Futa images.
  2. When creating a species, select their appearance, then a gender trait (All Male/Female, Futa), then change the rulers appearance. 
  3. The rulers image won't update itself in the creation menu when you choose a gender trait, so you'll need to do that yourself.

Compatibility Patches

Only download the patches for the mods you are using, otherwise the result will be missing portraits. Make sure the patches load after their associated mods as well as Vanilla Framework and the More Vanilla Patch if you are using it. Currently, these patches won't remove vanilla portraits if the mods include them in their files but vanilla free versions will be added alter.

There is a folder inside VF named "PATCH FOLDER" along with a Read Me to explain installing. It also contains the More Vanilla patch.

Mods that have a patch;

Changelog

16/05/2021 - Status Update

• One week later and nothing's on fire? Maybe I'm finally onto a winning formula.
  • I'll wait a few more days before getting back into a proper work flow, but I'm already sourcing images here and there.
  • Plan is to give the Machines a reasonably large overhaul, taking what's there and dividing it into better groups and getting their associated male and futa images.
  • The code might be a little tricky since they don't use the same gender traits as biological pops, so I'll have to improvise a little.

08/05/2021 - VF Beta 0.7

• This took a lot long  than expected because I got a lot more images than expected.
  • This update adds a whopping 440 new images; Fungoids got 96, Lithoids got 68, Molluscoids got 172, and Plantoids got 104.
  • Image sets are Mushrooms, Slimes, Elementals, StatuesCephalopods, Gastropods, Inklings, Slugs, Flowers, Fruits, and Planets.
  • I've made a few format changes to the files which will, hopefully, make things easier.
  • For now, VF has a folder inside it called PATCH FOLDER that has all the now updated patches plus a Read Me oh which file is used with what mod and how to install or uninstall.
  • I got this new patch system to work reliably, but if people are having problems with it then I can put up the separate patch mods again.
  • Gonna take a bit of a break and see how stable the update is for everyone else.
  • Next update I think will be Machines and maybe some crisis species like the Prethoryn Scourge

Installation

Delete any old versions you might have installed

1. Download the latest Vanilla Framework.zip
  2. Extract its contents into Documents/ Paradox Interactive/ Stellaris/ mod
  3. Make sure there is a folder named "Vanilla Framework" and a file called "Vanilla Framework.mod"
  4. This mod should be the last active mod in your launchers mod load order
    • To install a patch, like the More Vanilla Patch, open the Vanilla Framework mod folder
    • Open "PATCH FOLDER"
    • Select relevant patch .txt file, then copy and paste into Vanilla Framework/common/species_classes
  5. If you want to keep the old Vanilla portraits, then download the latest More Vanilla Patch.zip 
  6. Extract it into Documents/ Paradox Interactive/ Stellaris/ mod
  7. Make sure it is below/ comes after "Vanilla Framework" in the mod load order

Changelog (Old)

06/04/2021 - VF Beta 0.6

• This update adds 3 new sets to Necroids; Zombie, Mummy, Ghost, for 127 new images.
  • Vampires got expanded with 45 new images.
  • The overdue Humanoid expansion got done with Humans getting 48 and Goblins getting 42.
  • There's now a compatibility patch for SE Human and/or SE Humanoid. There are 3 patches in the one folder for using with either or both of those mods)
  • This update was a bit of a slog. I decided to tone down the gore factor for zombies as I figured most people (such as myself) wouldn't particularly enjoy it, so they're more like Frankenstein's monster, or modern zombies that can mix and match body parts if they have need and thread.
  • Also, there's not a lot of mummy or ghost images, so I had to double down in some places.
  • Werewolves would have been an obvious addition but I'm holding off on them until I get canines done for Mammalians and see if I can make them more distinct.
  • For the next update I'll be lumping in Planoid, Fungoid, Lithoid, and Molluscoid as they seem to be the harder ones to source for.

06/04/2021 - VF beta 0.5

• This update replaces the old Reptilian set with 3 new ones, Draconid, Dragon, and Naga, for a total of 160 images.
  • Some code got tidied up from earlier releases, so things should run smoother.
  • To address some concerns over crashes that might be related to not owning DLC, this release is in two versions.
    • The normal version, Vanilla Framework Beta 0.5, has the DLC species set to only appear if you have the specific dlc.
    • Vanilla Framework Beta 0.5 Ex, has my portraits set to always be available. I suspect there might be an issue with not having the correct ships, greetings, etc, if so then at least there's the normal version to use.
  • My schedule is utter chaos so I can't keep a regular release going. From now on, updates come out whenever I get them done.
  • Necroids are next on the list, I'll be doing the humanoid expansion with them this time,( I swear).

09/02/2021 - VF beta 0.4

• This took a while to do because I'm short on time for the next few weeks, when I have more time things should pick up again.
  • This update adds 3 portrait sets to Mammalians; Equine, Rabbit, and Feline
  • The Bovine and Ratling sets also got expanded for a combined total of 259 images this update.
  • The Humanoid expansion got pushed back because, again, I'm short on time and wanted to get something out soon.
  • Next update will focus on Reptilians as I already have some images sourced so I should hopefully get the next update out a bit sooner than this one

20/01/2021 - VF beta 0.3

• This took a lot long than intended because I'm currently in a busy period. 
  • Next update is likely to be delayed too, but I'm trying to keep a good and regular pace going.
  • This update adds 3 (or 2, depending on how you look at it) portrait sets to Humanoids; Orcs, Elves, and Dark elves
  • I wanted to expand the existing Human and Goblin sets, but thought it better to get something out soon.
  • Their expansion will likely get rolled in with the next update.
  • I was going to include a succubus/incubus set, but thought that they might be better for Necroids (who don't have a wide variety to work with)

07/01/2021 - VF beta 0.2

• The old Avian portraits are replaced with 3 new ones (Parrot, Owl, and Duck).
  • I'm no ornithologist, I work with what I find, so if there's and image that doesn't strictly fit into its category then yo can put that down to people incorrectly tagging that image.
  • There were enough images left over from the old set that they'll likely make a return as generic or generic and eagle.
  • Due to Fungoid, Plantoid, and Lithoids being hard to source for, they'll be the last to get new images this round.
  • Current Tons of Tits patch should still work fine, they haven't updated anything and I haven't touched the related file.

30/12/2020 - VF beta 0.1

• The mod seems stable, no real issues other than some missing machine portraits I forgot to include.
  • Mod is now entering the Beta phase, which means I'll be focusing on adding more content and putting out compatibility patches.
  • Reformatting should make the mod more friendly with others and allow for easier updates.
  • Beta opens with 3 new Arthropoid portrait sets (Bee, Spider, and Moth), replacing the old one.
  • Will now offer a More Vanilla patch that adds back in the vanilla portraits for those that want it.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    02/17/2021
  • Category
  • Requires
    Nothing, but Lustful Void is highly recommended

The biggest problem is i don't why but it remove the pre-made race from the list if i try a new game O o only my custom race are in the list; pretty sure i only had LV / gender patch and a city screen mod on, with it ... unless i forgot to uncheck something else ...

(runned another test .. nope only my own race no more pre-made)

I've tested this mod on its mod on its own and tested with out it and this mod seems to make the game crash whenever I try to select a city type and was wondering if anyone know how to fix this

I've tried vanilla and selecting a city works as well as having all my mods enabled with out this mod and still works 

Edit: Might have found my issue I'll be checking it out to see if it is the problem

Would it be possible to have a version of this that works in all the same ways, other than replacing the humanoids species? I'd like to be able to use the SE Human(oids) patches with this, but aside from that minor gripe, this is amazing and makes for a far more attractive universe.

On 2/17/2021 at 5:38 PM, Randomicamente said:

I'm wondering, the downloadable mod doesn't even have half the images you mentioned

try using lustful voids All male,All female, All futanari traits. it expands the options. 

So I loved the 0.4 version but cannot get the 0.5 version to work since you added all the same files to each file. As a result it only ever works if you want to eliminate the vanilla portraits. Basically the patch version is broken

On 2/19/2021 at 2:37 AM, ty28 said:

The biggest problem is i don't why but it remove the pre-made race from the list if i try a new game O o only my custom race are in the list; pretty sure i only had LV / gender patch and a city screen mod on, with it ... unless i forgot to uncheck something else ...

(runned another test .. nope only my own race no more pre-made)

I have the same problem

Christ, why am I not getting notifications about these messages. Sorry to everyone who didn't get a reply, I though y'all would use the topic page for questions and help. I'll be keeping an eye here from now on. I'll try to do some catching up now that I see these.

On 2/22/2021 at 7:58 AM, lindazana said:

Would it be possible to have a version of this that works in all the same ways, other than replacing the humanoids species? I'd like to be able to use the SE Human(oids) patches with this, but aside from that minor gripe, this is amazing and makes for a far more attractive universe.

I've got most of the next update done, so I can have a look at doing a compatibility patch for it, and thank you!

On 3/1/2021 at 2:14 PM, thelordofroses said:

try using lustful voids All male,All female, All futanari traits. it expands the options. 

Yup. Sorry for not explaining that, I'll mention it with the new update to avoid any more confusion around that.

On 3/18/2021 at 12:23 AM, Sicon3 said:

So I loved the 0.4 version but cannot get the 0.5 version to work since you added all the same files to each file. As a result it only ever works if you want to eliminate the vanilla portraits. Basically the patch version is broken

I screwed up there. I had a look just now and I messed and turns out I just zipped up the mods again but named them as the patches. I'll have the new update out soon and the actual patch out with it. Sorry again about that.

On 4/1/2021 at 6:53 PM, xfaktorx said:

I have the same problem

If you mean pre-made countries(empires), VF removes them as they used vanilla portraits, and so could appear in-game as an empire missing portraits. The More Vanilla Patch would add the portraits back in (but it seems I fucked the patch up this release), but to add the pre-made countries back in all you need to do is go into the mod and delete the "prescripted_countries" folder.

If you mean you want vanilla portraits back, well, as I already mention, I fecked that up. But Beta 0.6 is just round the corner, so you won't have long to wait. 

The launcher says the patches are missing their descriptor files, and as such cannot load them. I don't know very much about stellaris modding, so it could be that I am just doing something wrong, but I don't see a descriptor.mod in any of them either and I think that's what its referring to, correct me if I'm wrong on that. Anyway, whatever the cause may be, I find myself incapable of getting the patches to work as a result.

A bit disappointed the Reptile update didn't include lizards, sharks or amphibians (I know they're not technically reptiles, but where would you even put them? under Mollusks?) or dinosaurs. Just snakes, Dragons and Other Dragons.

Though because I don't want to make a post just to complain, I do have some suggestions for the four you say you're doing next. Purely for ideas, take them or leave them as you see fit.

First off, might I suggest including some Slimes in the Fungoid section? Slime molds are a thing, and more importantly a thing that fits without being mushrooms.

Plants, you've got flowers, trees, greenery (vines, shrubs, grass), fruits and veggies (gourds? tubers/root vegetables?), maybe something aquatic? (kelp? seaweed?)

Mollusks would be hard to get a good variety for. There's squids/octopi, slugs/snails, and maybe anemones? Would coral count as this or plants? Oh, Jellyfish!

Lithoids...  well, aside from the basic stone and crystals, the only thing I can think of is lava and glass, maybe sand if you can find enough material for that.

1 hour ago, ArcaneHowitzer said:

A bit disappointed the Reptile update didn't include lizards, sharks or amphibians (I know they're not technically reptiles, but where would you even put them? under Mollusks?) or dinosaurs. Just snakes, Dragons and Other Dragons.

Though because I don't want to make a post just to complain, I do have some suggestions for the four you say you're doing next. Purely for ideas, take them or leave them as you see fit.

First off, might I suggest including some Slimes in the Fungoid section? Slime molds are a thing, and more importantly a thing that fits without being mushrooms.

Plants, you've got flowers, trees, greenery (vines, shrubs, grass), fruits and veggies (gourds? tubers/root vegetables?), maybe something aquatic? (kelp? seaweed?)

Mollusks would be hard to get a good variety for. There's squids/octopi, slugs/snails, and maybe anemones? Would coral count as this or plants? Oh, Jellyfish!

Lithoids...  well, aside from the basic stone and crystals, the only thing I can think of is lava and glass, maybe sand if you can find enough material for that.

There will be more added to everything over time. Three new sets per update seemed like an okay work rate at that would mean 180 new images (20 per gender x 3 sets) and I'm the only one doing it, so I'm trying to keep it manageable and relatively quick. Dragons and Draconids got first billing because, as far as I could see, they had the most images to work with. 

Lithoids is rather difficult, so I thought I'd give them Slime/Goo as I've seen a lot of media depict them as having some sort of crystalline core. You make a good point and adding them to the Fungoids, so I'll see about finding more distinct sets to differentiate them if I can. Everything else you mentioned is basically on the list, though I still haven't figured out where sharks, amphibians, or fish/mer-things would go.

7 hours ago, Mugginnato said:

though I still haven't figured out where sharks, amphibians, or fish/mer-things would go.

I'd say Reptilian is by far the closest you'll get of the vanilla categories.

Actually, being able to breathe air and walk on land might mean the fish- and shark-based ones technically are reptiles.

1 hour ago, ArcaneHowitzer said:

I'd say Reptilian is by far the closest you'll get of the vanilla categories.

Actually, being able to breathe air and walk on land might mean the fish- and shark-based ones technically are reptiles.

A fair point, though I might reserve them for Molluscoids as they match the more aquatic theme that seems to be developing. Also, I think there's plenty to draw on for reptiles while molluscoids is kinda limited and not as popular (apart from Splatoon, but that's only one set really). I can get 3, maybe 4, sets for them but after that I'm kinda stuck. I'll probably put a poll up for it during the week to get peoples opinion, though I'd imagine most would agree with you.
Btw, if you know any sites with a good selection of images and decent tagging, please dm me the links. I think I've exhausted mine a bit.

that is awesome that this mod can replace the plain old species.

hopefully you can get in touch with the mod author of "Stellaris Sexy Xenos and more",  Toronam.

maybe we can get more species to the list, also mod compatibility with Species Engineering mod

12 hours ago, Rogelio11 said:

that is awesome that this mod can replace the plain old species.

hopefully you can get in touch with the mod author of "Stellaris Sexy Xenos and more",  Toronam.

maybe we can get more species to the list, also mod compatibility with Species Engineering mod

Hmm, didn't really consider adding new species, apart from something for shark/fish, I can't think of anything. There'd have to be at least 3~4 image sets per new species for it to be worth it., otherwise it might just be taking options form another species. 

What would I get in touch with Toronam about? Compatibility? The only crossover is with Robots/Machines, and that's an easy fix. Also, I just had a look at Species Engineering and it looks like it should work fine with VF. It's event's just calls for a random portrait set from a species so it shouldn't call on vanilla portraits unless you also have another mod that adds them in.

12 hours ago, Jos657 said:

I don't know why. but using the patch for SE human it keeps kicking me out of the game every time I click on ship appearance.

Try delete the patch, re-download and install again as something might have gotten corrupted. I can't think of any other reason the patch would cause that as it doesn't touch ship or city appearance.

I still can't seem to get this to work with SE Human 2. All the other portraits work fine but the human one just comes up blank.

I'm not using the patch since I'm pretty sure that's for the first SE Human and not the second. I was able to get it working together in a previous version, but now I can't seem to.

13 hours ago, Jos657 said:

I did that and it still did the same kick me out for about ten times.

Have you tried this?

Only load: LV, VF, SE Human, VF SE Human patch (in this order)

It's possible if you have any other mods active that they could be causing conflict, but other than this suggestion, I think I'd need to look at the crash log to get an idea what happened. You can usually find it at x:\Users\user\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\logs

9 hours ago, zelayasrevenge301 said:

I still can't seem to get this to work with SE Human 2. All the other portraits work fine but the human one just comes up blank.

I'm not using the patch since I'm pretty sure that's for the first SE Human and not the second. I was able to get it working together in a previous version, but now I can't seem to.

Just had a look at SE Human 2. It replaces the standard human portraits like SE Human and Humanoid, but VF disables those. It looks like the SE human patch would work for it. 

I can still play the mod but i have to create the empire without Patch but the only way i can truly play the VF SE Human patch is when i click on the species appearance and save. 

14 hours ago, Mugginnato said:

Have you tried this?

Only load: LV, VF, SE Human, VF SE Human patch (in this order)

It's possible if you have any other mods active that they could be causing conflict, but other than this suggestion, I think I'd need to look at the crash log to get an idea what happened. You can usually find it at x:\Users\user\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\logs

Just had a look at SE Human 2. It replaces the standard human portraits like SE Human and Humanoid, but VF disables those. It looks like the SE human patch would work for it. 

The SE patch still isn't working. Could it have to do with the fact that I don't have Necroids or Lithoids? I remember you uploaded a previous version that had no necroids or lithoids since that was causing issues for some people.

I've been checking to see if I have any other mods installed that edit the default human appearance, but even after uninstalling the one I had (Mass Effect Ultimate Species Pack) I still get this issue. 

Also I noticed there were a few typos in the 00_species_classes and 01_base_species_classes files (like "MOL01" when it's supposed to be "MOLL01" like in the portrait file for your molluscoids). So you may want to double check the files for any additional typos that could be causing issues. 

On 4/12/2021 at 8:39 PM, Jos657 said:

I can still play the mod but i have to create the empire without Patch but the only way i can truly play the VF SE Human patch is when i click on the species appearance and save. 

I still think it's a load order thing, the patch just doesn't do enough to cause issues. Could you try LV, VF, SE patch, SE Human? If that still doesn't work, disable the patch then go into VF/common/species_classes and open 00_species_classes in notepad or something similar. The # symbol is used to disable human portraits, and just delete it for now. 

17 hours ago, zelayasrevenge301 said:

The SE patch still isn't working. Could it have to do with the fact that I don't have Necroids or Lithoids? I remember you uploaded a previous version that had no necroids or lithoids since that was causing issues for some people.

You can try this too since it could rule out the patch being the issue. I thought not having those dlc's might cause problems, I was able to get someones help to test that (they didn't have Necroids) and it worked fine for them.

Just had a look at the base games files about graphical culture, they check for dlc and if they can't find the files they default to the mammalian culture. Without seeing the log file about those crashes, I just have to assume that something somewhere is corrupted or conflicting. Validating the game files might help.

17 hours ago, zelayasrevenge301 said:

Also I noticed there were a few typos in the 00_species_classes and 01_base_species_classes files (like "MOL01" when it's supposed to be "MOLL01" like in the portrait file for your molluscoids). So you may want to double check the files for any additional typos that could be causing issues. 

I'd appreciate it if you could make a list, I just went over them 3 times and (apart from Mol01) I couldn't see any. I might be blind to it at this stage.

Edit: I caught an error I made with machines while trying to test the SE patch to see if I could replicate the ship/city appearance crashes(no luck there). There was also a mistake with the SE patches, the same machine one plus a directory error. If there's no other typeos you can see then I'll upload them early tomorrow.