[mod] [Stellaris] Vanilla Framework

You have an extra close bracket in 00_species_class.txt in the SE human patch. This causes the crash.

custom_portraits = { # use custom_portraits instead of portraits so we can put them after the custom_portraits above
        randomized = { always = yes }
        playable = { always = yes }}

I removed it and the SE patch works fine now. No idea why the bracket there causes the crash in the cityscape menu.

14 minutes ago, Bookworm83 said:

You have an extra close bracket in 00_species_class.txt in the SE human patch. This causes the crash.

custom_portraits = { # use custom_portraits instead of portraits so we can put them after the custom_portraits above
        randomized = { always = yes }
        playable = { always = yes }}

I removed it and the SE patch works fine now. No idea why the bracket there causes the crash in the cityscape menu.

Very nice catch, and thank you for telling me, must have happened when I was updating the patch to not need dlc . It might be because graphical_culture = mammalian_01 isn't inside a class set, or that Machines no longer have a graphical culture. Either way, the patch will be redundant with the next update since it'll add back in the human and humanoids that SE needs.

All the images are masked and the fungoids have their dds files done, so it'll be out either the end of this week or early next week. 

On 5/4/2021 at 2:32 PM, Mugginnato said:

That patch is a bit out of date, so I'd recommend either waiting for the next update (will be soon-ish) or editing VF's species classes to add ToT's sets and not using the patch.

Also, what is your load order? 

Load order

VF Beta 0.6

ToT

VF ToT Patch

21 hours ago, Fliits said:

Load order

VF Beta 0.6

ToT

VF ToT Patch

First, validate you game files in case of corruption, then try this load order;

ToT

VF Beta

VF ToT Patch

If the problem persists then I think one or more of the mods are corrupted and need a fresh download and install.

EDIT:  I've been doing some testing with the next update and ToT patch (will be out soon, like 1~2 days) and it should be fixed. Dunno why, but I think missing portraits might be format/overwrite issue. I was having issues between Beta 0.7 and the current ToT patch (beta 0.3) even though it should have worked fine, but after updating the patch my new file system it started working fine. Also, the machine/robots having bio-pop images is all on ToT. I looked at its portrait file and that's apparently how its supposed to be, with only 1 of the 3 being pure machine.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the work. Really appreciate having all-gender portraits in my game. Did put quite a smile on my face when I discovered on pure accident that you included futa-portraits, too. Now I just wish there would be an option in LV to include Futa as leader gender for a normal-gendered race.

Edited by Banana Banana
3 hours ago, Banana Banana said:

Thanks for the work. Really appreciate having all-gender portraits in my game. Did put quite a smile on my face when I discovered on pure accident that you included futa-portraits, too. Now I just wish there would be an option in LV to include Futa as leader gender for a normal-gendered race.

Glad to hear you like it! Yeah, the mono gender portraits are kinda hidden, I'd rather they update automatically instead on needing to be manually changed. You've also given me an idea for a gender distribution button for multi gender races; it'll either include futa to the portrait pool or replace male or female portraits.

I've not done event or ui modding but I imagine it should be somewhat simple to do.

I was bored and went looking how LV does their "Leadership Gender Policy". It simply sets a flag (which then force-swaps new leaders by event) . And flags set there can be checked in the portrait files, it seems.

Out of curiosity I tried my hand at it myself, and it surprisingly works quite well. Thought I share my findings, maybe it helps you.

I added two test options to the Lustful Void gender policy in lv_policies.txt (I did leave the female flag in, so the new futa-leaders get female names):

Spoiler

###########
# Leaders # Futa toggle edit
###########

# Gender Leadership
lv_gender_leadership = {
	potential = {
		NOT = { owner = { has_authority = auth_machine_intelligence } }
	}

#Default option
	option = {
		name = "lv_gender_leadership_default"

policy_flags = {
			lv_gender_leadership_default
		}
	}

#Female option
	option = {
		name = "lv_gender_leadership_female"

policy_flags = {
			lv_gender_leadership_female
		}
		AI_weight = {
			factor = 0
		}
	}
	#Female+Futa option
	option = {
		name = "lv_gender_leadership_futafemale"

policy_flags = {
			lv_gender_leadership_futafemale
		}
		AI_weight = {
			factor = 0
		}
	}	
	#Futa option
	option = {
		name = "lv_gender_leadership_futa"

policy_flags = {
			lv_gender_leadership_futa
		}
		AI_weight = {
			factor = 0
		}
	}	

#Male option
	option = {
		name = "lv_gender_leadership_male"

policy_flags = {
			lv_gender_leadership_male
		}
		AI_weight = {
			factor = 0
		}
	}	
}

And then I just filtered the portraits in the portrait file for the new flags, forbidding female portraits if only the futa policy is selected, allowing them when the "futa and female" one is.

Spoiler

leader = { #scientists, generals, admirals, governor 
		# Futa toggle edit
			add = {
                trigger = {
					NOT = { 
						species = { has_trait = trait_lv_futanari } 
						owner = {has_policy_flag = lv_gender_leadership_futa}						
					}
                    gender = female
                }
                portraits = {
                    01HumF1 01HumF2 01HumF3 01HumF4 01HumF5 
					01HumF6 01HumF7 01HumF8 01HumF9 01HumF10
					01HumF11 01HumF12 01HumF13 01HumF14 01HumF15
					01HumF16 01HumF17 01HumF18 01HumF19 01HumF20
					01HumF21 01HumF22 01HumF23 01HumF24 01HumF25
					01HumF26 01HumF27 01HumF28 01HumF29 01HumF30
					01HumF31 01HumF32 01HumF33
                }
            }
            add = {
                trigger = {
					NOT = { species = { has_trait = trait_lv_futanari } }
                    gender = male
                }
                portraits = {
                    01HumM1 01HumM2 01HumM3 01HumM4 01HumM5 
					01HumM6 01HumM7 01HumM8 01HumM9 01HumM10
					01HumM11 01HumM12 01HumM13 01HumM14 01HumM15
					01HumM16 01HumM17 01HumM18 01HumM19 01HumM20
                }
            }
            add = {
                trigger = {
					OR = {
						species = { has_trait = trait_lv_futanari }
						owner = { 
							OR = {
								has_policy_flag = lv_gender_leadership_futafemale 
								has_policy_flag = lv_gender_leadership_futa							
							}
						}
					}
				}
                portraits = {
                    01HumH1 01HumH2 01HumH3 01HumH4 01HumH5 
					01HumH6 01HumH7 01HumH8 01HumH9 01HumH10 
					01HumH11 01HumH12 01HumH13 01HumH14 01HumH15
					01HumH16 01HumH17 01HumH18 01HumH19 01HumH20
					01HumH21 01HumH22 01HumH23 01HumH24 01HumH25
					01HumH26 01HumH27
                }
            }
        }

Honestly, I am surprised how easy Stellaris makes this, would have expected more jank.

There is also an event in Lustful Void about Futa-genemodding. That one could also be hijacked to set a futa-allowed for futa-forbidden flag.

Edited by Banana Banana

Cheers! This should definitely help, I was planning to look at LV's gender policy myself so this saves me some time and testing. Should be able to add it to the update, though I'm still sourcing robot/android/synth pics so it won't be for a while.

2 hours ago, Shuuu said:

don't suppose there are screenshots? Not sure if i want this or not, cause i'm not sure what it is entirely.

edit: only female anime/cartoon images? No males?

There are female, male, and futa images. The screenshots were from a very early build and the empire builder so I'll probably make a few more expansive ones soon. They only show female images because female is the default for portrait sets and leaders but can be changed in the normal way.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2411220897 - how would I go about making compatibility w/ this mod? It seems to overwrite the species portraits, no matter where I place it in relation to Vanilla Framework - I've even tried placing it at the end, and still no luck. My best guess, it's "setting" the portraits in a way that prevents Vanilla Framework's modifications from taking effect.

Well, it looks like it is using the default species classes, but load order should have fixed that. For now you can try this;

eol_00_species_classes.txt eol_01_base_species_classes.txt

drop these two files into VF/common/species_classes and make sure VF load after engineers.

They're a copy of of engineers files but blank, so this should overwrite their classes on load up and leave VF's intact. If this doesn't work, then these two files might need all of VF's classes pasted into them. 
Hope this helps!

7 hours ago, Mugginnato said:

Well, it looks like it is using the default species classes, but load order should have fixed that. For now you can try this;

eol_00_species_classes.txt 0 B · 0 downloads eol_01_base_species_classes.txt 0 B · 0 downloads

drop these two files into VF/common/species_classes and make sure VF load after engineers.

They're a copy of of engineers files but blank, so this should overwrite their classes on load up and leave VF's intact. If this doesn't work, then these two files might need all of VF's classes pasted into them. 
Hope this helps!

This did make the portraits reappear for Empire creation, thanks. Time will tell if it breaks something in Engineers during the game, though.

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Predeiter said:

"The new VF Gender policy lets you either"
Can do a "only male" and "only female" pls ?

Just if yoy have one species with "only female trait" it use only futa portrets.

Mono gender species shouldn't be affected, so I must have made a mistake somewhere. Can you tell me which portraits this was happening to? Also, did this affect leaders, pops, or both?

Edited by Mugginnato
11 hours ago, Jos657 said:

I don't see any VF humanoid portraits just vanilla, is that normal?

General troubleshooting step;

-Delete VF folder and .mod file

-Redownload and install either 0.8 or 0.8b version of VF

-Make sure to have it active and placed last in the load order of the playset you are using

I also recommend testing VF by itself to make sure its working and nothings corrupted. If it does work but just not with other mods then that suggests comparability issues. We can look into that afterwards.

8 hours ago, wekagen838 said:

Liking the update but ran into a minor snag.

All plantoid, fungoid, and lithoid are stuck on the default portrait. Picking the futa trait lets you pick between the futa portriats though.

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. If it's only affecting their leader portraits then I think I know what could be happening there. Those 3 species are non-gendered so some of the triggers wouldn't work properly. It should be an easy fix, you could even do it yourself rather than wait for the update/hotfix. In the VF mod folder go to common -> species_classes and then just delete the line that says "gender = no" from plantoid, fungoid, and lithoid files using something like notepad. Not sure how this might affect them mid game though.

I should probably put out the hotfix but I'm still waiting to hear back from Jos657 so I can get both issues in one go.

On 8/25/2021 at 6:47 AM, Mugginnato said:

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. If it's only affecting their leader portraits then I think I know what could be happening there. Those 3 species are non-gendered so some of the triggers wouldn't work properly. It should be an easy fix, you could even do it yourself rather than wait for the update/hotfix. In the VF mod folder go to common -> species_classes and then just delete the line that says "gender = no" from plantoid, fungoid, and lithoid files using something like notepad. Not sure how this might affect them mid game though.

I should probably put out the hotfix but I'm still waiting to hear back from Jos657 so I can get both issues in one go.

Just to let you know, I had the same issue as Jos657, turns it out it was a mod conflict between Sins of the Prophets (UNSC and Covenant shipset mod) and VF. No file conflicts so there must be something in Sins of the Prophets that overwrites anything in Humanoids/Humans regardless of load order. Either way, at least in my case it didn't seem to be an issue with VF

13 hours ago, Arethiel said:

Just to let you know, I had the same issue as Jos657, turns it out it was a mod conflict between Sins of the Prophets (UNSC and Covenant shipset mod) and VF. No file conflicts so there must be something in Sins of the Prophets that overwrites anything in Humanoids/Humans regardless of load order. Either way, at least in my case it didn't seem to be an issue with VF

Thanks for letting me know! I just had a look at it and it turns out they redefine the Humanoids species class. I noticed that they game/launcher now has a tendency to prioritise some or all files based on the file name. Load order seems to be letters, numbers, symbols, and since their file begins with the underscore symbol it loads after the VF class files and redefines Humanoids. Interesting little find!

Here's a quick patch you can drop into VF/common/species_classes. I plan to take advantage of the priority system to this is just a stopgap, also, Sangheili are going to be added as part of the next major update. 

Thanks again for the help!

_00_species_classes_SotP.txt

• I'm also taking suggestions for what the Prethoryn Scourge and Extra-dimensional Invaders should look like. I was thinking maybe Xenomorphs and Novakids but I'm open to ideas.

I was actually thinking Zerg for the Prethoryn Scourge. It feels more "on theme" for them. Or Tyranids, which are pretty much just a different brand of the same product.

As for the Invaders, I guess Novakids work. There aren't really a whole lot of 'energy being' races floating around, at least not with enough variation to work for a project like this.