Switching from Vortex to MO2... A short rant.

3 hours ago, BufusTurbo said:

Uttered "What the fucking hell is this and who's the great gangly fuck-knuckled twat that came up with it?!"

Uninstalled. Never looked at it again.

I was with you on the first line. Sadly for me I decided to give it a go and now I am faced with the choice of staying with a manager I don't like or installing <450 mods with NMM.

I suppose I could try a migrate - it couldn't go any worse than the NMM to Vortex went with only about <300 mods. ?

58 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

The goal is to have a mod created from the Overwrite for the different profiles

I created a mod out of the overwrite for each profile. My overwrite is empty.

Not native english, so it might be not properly said ;)

I just did not move the files to the parent, as it is done anyway by MO.

Activate or deactivate according to profile the related mod.

2 minutes ago, T-lam said:

I created a mod out of the overwrite for each profile. My overwrite is empty.

Not native english, so it might be not properly said ;)

I just did not move the files to the parent, as it is done anyway by MO.

Activate or deactivate according to profile the related mod.

You are perfectly fine for both .. what you are doing in MO as well as your English.

17 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

I was with you on the first line. Sadly for me I decided to give it a go and now I am faced with the choice of staying with a manager I don't like or installing <450 mods with NMM.

I suppose I could try a migrate - it couldn't go any worse than the NMM to Vortex went with only about <300 mods. ?

Try sticking with MO for a bit. If you have questions ask.. It might not work the way you want but it is more modern. NMM is of limited support and confirmed to not install some mods properly. Hopefully this will change in the future but until then...

17 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

NMM is of limited support and confirmed to not install some mods properly.

I never had any problems with it in 4 years. I don't need support, I just want my mod manager to do what I want and nothing more until I require its services again.

MO does too many things I don't need.

1 hour ago, RitualClarity said:

Screenshot 2020-10-23 153717.png

Cool story but you literally only read the part where mods are kept in overwrite until the applied patches from other mods are deemed to be stable, which applies to anything necessary to be re-created at run-time, you know like every animation mod ever run under FNIS, which tannin also stated the folder will end up being used for so you're done giving out bullshit in an attempt  to get a cheap W; this is how it works also funny you posted as such.

Only exception is any files that are constantly being destroyed and recreated each start of a game.

I've always just used NMM. So far it's worked.. more or less perfectly for everything I've needed it for, which is really all that's been preventing me  from making any kind of switch. I know they've been pushing vortex as the newest, greatest thing since sliced bread and a soft serve ice cream machine in the chow hall. but if everything already works,  why change, ya know? 

51 minutes ago, 27X said:

Cool story but you literally only read the part where mods are kept in overwrite until the applied patches from other mods are deemed to be stable, which applies to anything necessary to be re-created at run-time, you know like every animation mod ever run under FNIS, which tannin also stated the folder will end up being used for so you're done giving out bullshit in an attempt  to get a cheap W; this is how it works also funny you posted as such.

As usual it is exceedingly difficult to understand what you are going on about. The Nexus post quote by Tannin does not mention 'applied patches' or stability, so to what are you referring?

As for the FNIS files etc., Tannin does not say that this is what the overwrite folder will end up being used for. He says that the FNIS files etc. will go there and should then be moved manually (as he hadn't yet come up with a UI for getting MO to do it).

1 hour ago, 27X said:

You need to learn to read English. The overwrite folder is a temp folder use only. Has been always will be. You can try to use all sorts of logic and other stuff but it won't change a thing. You failed to even mention the bottom part of my quote.  Do what you want just don't spread wrong info which will harm new users just to get your kicks.

38 minutes ago, Wolfshrike said:

I've always just used NMM. So far it's worked.. more or less perfectly for everything I've needed it for, which is really all that's been preventing me  from making any kind of switch. I know they've been pushing vortex as the newest, greatest thing since sliced bread and a soft serve ice cream machine in the chow hall. but if everything already works,  why change, ya know? 

3 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

As usual it is exceedingly difficult to understand what you are going on about. The Nexus post quote by Tannin does not mention 'applied patches' or stability, so to what are you referring?

As for the FNIS files etc., Tannin does not say that this is what the overwrite folder will end up being used for. He says that the FNIS files etc. will go there and should then be moved manually (as he hadn't yet come up with a UI for getting MO to do it).

Use what you guys want. It is fine. The problem is when support is requested from users of NMM for a mod when the author clearly states they aren't doing so.  I have always been a person that believed you should do what you want with modding. Manual, NMM whatever. However, don't expect others to see your choice and struggle to support it.  Using NMM is generally not supported for most mods here on LL. 

8 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Sadly for me I decided to give it a go and now I am faced with the choice of staying with a manager I don't like

:classic_laugh: Don't throw your life away, yet. It's not too late. There's a path out of the dark side ?

Hmm this story again any mod manager is only as good as the user who... well uses it. I was in the camp of NMM and MO but at the end of the day it was too much work as both are clunky and require more time than I want to spend in using them.. Vortex works fine understanding how to use it and it's features takes time but when you really start to understand how it work it is a head above the rest. Not understanding the software does not make it bad it is just not what you are use to.... I currently have 3 profiles all with different load orders never need to run FNIS or loot ever game runs at a stable 59FPS no crashes.... But I will digress and let the ranting continue about old vs new. 

40 minutes ago, woodsman30 said:

Hmm this story again any mod manager is only as good as the user who... well uses it. I was in the camp of NMM and MO but at the end of the day it was too much work as both are clunky and require more time than I want to spend in using them.. Vortex works fine understanding how to use it and it's features takes time but when you really start to understand how it work it is a head above the rest. Not understanding the software does not make it bad it is just not what you are use to.... I currently have 3 profiles all with different load orders never need to run FNIS or loot ever game runs at a stable 59FPS no crashes.... But I will digress and let the ranting continue about old vs new. 

This is a story of MO users go to town on each other? NMM users are loving this shit.  At the end of the day it's similar to NMM or MO. If users want to keep stuff in their overwrite folder with MO and it works for them? So be it. I will advice for clean overwrite folder,nicely. If user B wants to mention they keep stuff in overwrite,fine. Pitch it and move on. There is nothing wrong with discussion on MO overwrite folder as long as it's not futile attempts to try to smear someone. 

14 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

I suppose I could try a migrate

Probably dont need to tell you, Cloud. If you switch MO, MO wants a 100% vanilla skyrim as base. For me that means either clean install of skyrim or following guides on making skyrim vanilla again. And I would advise to take extra precaution and do a verify integrity of game files through steam after getting vanilla data folder. 

20 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

I never had any problems with it in 4 years. I don't need support, I just want my mod manager to do what I want and nothing more until I require its services again.

MO does too many things I don't need.

^^^^ THIS^^^ My sentiments exactly. I spent a week trying to wrap my head around MO2 and gave up, because FOR ME is was just too complicated, and as you said, had features I neither needed, nor wanted. I then tried Vortex, found it to be WAY easier to understand and to use (as I said, FOR ME) and I've been using it ever since. I have had ZERO issues with Vortex. It does what I want a mod manager to do, and as far as I'm concerned it does it very well. Just my 2 cents.

On 10/21/2020 at 12:14 PM, Grey Cloud said:

I've been using Vortex since July and I'm definitely not a fan. If I weren't so lazy I'd go back to NMM.

Rubbish. There are more posts by MO and MO2 users who don't know how to use those than by NMM or Vortex users. With all the mod managers the posts are user error rather than an actual problem with the mod manager.

It's funny how the same people who tell us how wonderful MO is and how bad Vortex is never mention that Tannin was the chief designer of both.

And Todd Howard was director for both Morrowind and Fallout 4, yet one is a classic, the other a piece of shit that's only worth playing for the mods.

10 hours ago, Keats said:

And Todd Howard was director for both Morrowind and Fallout 4, yet one is a classic, the other a piece of shit that's only worth playing for the mods.

During  Morrowind Bethesda was a completely different game company.  Fallout 4 was a grab at a cash cow, pimping out their IP as much as they could to get as much $$$ at the least cost. IMO the passion of the old company for excellent RPG games died slowly and you can see it through the different TES games released. Harder in Fallout 4 since they were created by different companies from time to time.

4 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

That's just your opinion. I never bothered finishing Morrowind and have never played FO4. In my opinion all Bethesda games are crap.

A perfectly reasonable opinion just as Morrowind, Fallout 4 or whatever other game is excellent. Even Vault 76 as bug infested (piece of crap in my opinion) gives joy for some.  However, it is silly not to recognize the reputation and accolades that Bethesda had in the past for these IPs. Same as someone hating Witcher but ignoring the 100's of awards they received. ;)  It helps for both sides to have case examples on why someone chooses something over the other or call something crap over something else. The reader that might not know about either can at least understand and perhaps they also don't like something along t hose lines so they are for-warned. ;)

Finally, what the H double Hockey sticks does this have to do with Switching from Vortex to MO? lol

To each his own. You use the one that works best for you. Why does it matter if it gets the job done. That said, I like virtual file system and less chance of "damaging" game file. Otherwise I have used everything excepting WryeBash as a mod manager and ended up with my tool of choice. Y'all do what you want. My game plays...mostly...kinda...(Damn Bethesda...mumble...). Have a WONDERFUL WEEK!

Maybe I'm the only one, but I refuse to use a MM for anything other than adjusting LO. They just aren't that useful to me and I'm always having to guess how they'll handle things I already know how to handle. I enjoy the opportunity to build things differently in rare reinstalls anyway because I'm back on intimate terms with each and every mod.