1.0.2 (1-19-21)

-Inherited location and cell changes from USLEEP

-The player and allies will be dismounted if they are defeated while on a horse.

-Added a Safe Word option in the MCM to stop Peril's Defeat if it gets stuck.

-Escaping defeat will now only heal the player and allies if they are bleeding out, and will only heal them to 50 health.

2 minutes ago, HabibHanson said:

This looks pretty good, I'll check it out. Are you thinking of adding capabilities so this can occur with random npc-npc fights like those that can be configured in defeat? If so I would happily migrate over to this as my sole defeat mod.

Not likely, I want this mod is going to stay focused as a player (and allies) defeat mod. I've been thinking about developing a mod where the player can defeat and capture npcs, but I don't have any inclination to develop npc-npc defeat interactions.

1 hour ago, Code Serpent said:

Not likely, I want this mod is going to stay focused as a player (and allies) defeat mod. I've been thinking about developing a mod where the player can defeat and capture npcs, but I don't have any inclination to develop npc-npc defeat interactions.

I was thinking along the lines of something to make the random civil war fights more 'interesting' for the victors. Regardless I can keep that module enabled for now even if its gender restrictions on creature interactions is weird. Follow-up question is if you plan to include mcm gender restriction options for sexlab interactions.

4 hours ago, Code Serpent said:

And tell me what stage it's in.

I'll get back to you on it.

Most of the time I try not to be defeated :)

And when a defeat does happen, it's not always some weird edge case; most of the time it's not an odd situation and works fine, so it may take a little time to get a repro.

A different "issue" is that if you disable Peril (with the tick-box), and you were essential, then every single defeat seems to end with you stuck in bleedout.

This is a little unexpected, as I had imagined that disabling peril would reset the Essential state automatically, but arguably it's not a bug, and a workaround exists even if someone thinks it is.

A small uncertainty comes from the wording of the tooltips combined with the specific menu text.

So, when I first used the mod, I couldn't tell whether the "ESSENTIAL" button was saying the PC was already essential, or that I needed to hit it to make the player essential.

Changing that to "ENABLED" or "DISABLED" might be clearer, given the tooltip for it.

The box to enable/disable male devices is similarly a little confusing. The menu text seems to contradict the tooltip regarding the "sense" of the box.

There's also an inconsistency where tick boxes are used for some things, but stateful buttons for others - that only have two states (on and off).

For all these things, using text like:

"Peril Enabled" [ ] ... If ticked, the mod is enabled, otherwise Peril is disabled and will not handle defeats.

"Essential Enabled" [ ] ... if ticked, the player is set essential and Peril can automatically trigger defeats on zero Health, otherwise Peril can only be triggered manually with the surrender key.

"Add devices to males" [ ] ... if ticked, Peril may add devious devices to male characters, including followers, on defeat, otherwise it will never add them. (Uses vanilla skyrim gender).

For some mods this sort of stuff would just be a non-issue, but with Peril, players need more certainty in setting it up, because defeats that run in unexpected ways are game breakers.

There's just more pressure to get it perfect than (say) Devious Lore, where a misconfigured escape option is easily recovered from.

6 minutes ago, Lupine00 said:

I'll get back to you on it.

Most of the time I try not to be defeated :)

And when a defeat does happen, it's not always some weird edge case; most of the time it's not an odd situation and works fine, so it may take a little time to get a repro.

Alright, also send in the papyrus log if you can.

I just tried to reproduce the bug you mentioned: I went into combat with a bandit camp, in one case I typed "killall" in the console the moment my character went into bleedout, and in another I spawned a dragon that went into combat with the bandits while my character was in bleedout. In both cases the defeat proceeded properly, so this definitely seems to be an edge case were something specific goes very wrong or very weird.

13 minutes ago, Lupine00 said:

Peril (with the tick-box), and you were essential, then every single defeat seems to end with you stuck in bleedout.

Oh, yeah. The Essential tag is done through a separate quest that has a player alias that's marked as essential, which causes much less hassle then calling "SetEssential(true)" everytime the player enters combat. However, because it is a quest, you need to exit the menu for it to Start or Stop, so it can't be a simple toggle.

2 hours ago, Code Serpent said:

Yeah, that's definitely going to be included soon.

This might be a good time to organize it so that defeat "scenarios" can be added as plugins in some way, either dynamically at runtime, or by minimal code modification?

But could this be done using some other (already existing) mod?

Writing good rapes is super-time consuming.

Probably, you have code from DiD you could just transplant, but it might not handle things like chaurus, spider, atronarch, or troll as well as bandits.

I sort of like the horrendous chain-runs of SLD rapes, but I have a personal bias - and it doesn't handle creatures at all.

To focus on "better" human animation selection I purposely excluded creatures AND homosexual sex (male or female).

Creating rape settings to suit everyone is mod by itself.

I'm not saying don't do it, or that I don't want it, but if you can avoid it, you will be able to do other stuff instead, like Devious Lore, or enslavement into SD+, or something "way out there" like joining bandits as a junior member of the gang and working your way up, EC+, spider-bondage, or ... just other kinds of defeat outcome beyond "rapes rapes rapes, now run away".

The lockbox mechanics of Skyrim Chain Beasts are also interesting as a defeat mechanic - set aside all the restraints stuff - just taking all your gear and locking it in a box that you can get a generic key to, or might already have generic keys for, or can lockpick - it's a cool idea. Maybe another use for "skeleton keys" from Devious Lore?

The tentacle sex in DiD was a feature I liked a lot - really can't be enough tentacles in Skyrim - but the addiction "logic" didn't make a lot of sense: an addiction that reduces trauma that is to a cause of trauma. I'm not sure how this is resolved in Corruption yet, but it seems to me that tentacle sex is one of those things (like SLS masochism) that starts off as a traumatic and becomes a non-traumatic addiction with repetition. The problem is then, how can you get more tentacle sex to feed your addiction? Answers to that could be simple, or as complicated as you like.

42 minutes ago, Code Serpent said:

In both cases the defeat proceeded properly, so this definitely seems to be an edge case were something specific goes very wrong or very weird.

I think it's possibly some kind of issue where Peril quest is stuck prior to the combat, and can't run. So it might be just me.

Or maybe a problem only certain people will see.

The behavior looks exactly like what happens when Peril is disabled, except it occurs when Peril is enabled.

This only occurred to me after I disabled Peril last night.

39 minutes ago, Code Serpent said:

The Essential tag is done through a separate quest that has a player alias that's marked as essential, which causes much less hassle then calling "SetEssential(true)" everytime the player enters combat. However, because it is a quest, you need to exit the menu for it to Start or Stop, so it can't be a simple toggle.

For that kind of button, the text should be a verb, such as "ENABLE" or "DISABLE" rather than showing the state ...

unless you've clicked it, in which case it could disable and say "WORKING..." or something like that.

(So much confusion in other mods has resulted from tooltips saying the button is an action, then showing a state).

DF has buttons that behave that way.

Since implementing that, I've formed the opinion that it would be even better to effectively disable the entire MCM and reload the page, so after clicking such a button, your MCM vanishes and you're left with an MCM that just has an unselectable text item:

"Exit all menus so that the operation can complete in-game..."

4 minutes ago, Lupine00 said:

This might be a good time to organize it so that defeat "scenarios" can be added as plugins in some way, either dynamically at runtime, or by minimal code modification?

I am going to try to change how parlay and punishments are handled under the hood. Right now all the weighting and conditions for the punishments are done in the defeat quest, which isn't easy to expand. I think I'm going to try to take advantage of the game's Story Manager, and move each punishment into it's own quest.

3 hours ago, Code Serpent said:

Story Manager

You might regret that, as it's a single limited resource that other mods often overload, breaking it.

A safer approach is to define an extension to quest that has the methods you want on it (a class basically) and then register a list of them for processing.

I guess this approach was implicit in the "tiny defeat" post on my blog, in which I propose an absolute minimalist defeat - basically Peril without any of the outcomes - and then all the outcomes are plugged in dynamically.

The tiny defeat design goes a bit further than that, but ... compare to how XDFF works ... similar sort of idea.

What tiny defeat added was passing the "defeat state" and allowing handler to make their decision to handle or not, and allowing the user to toggle and order handlers themselves.

I'm tweaking the probabilities post defeat. Am I understanding it correctly that the possible outcomes are basically devious devices or gold loss or equipment loss or rape, but never a combination? So you'll never, for example, be robbed of gold and equipment and locked up from the same defeat?

Am I correct in assuming setting an options weight to '0' means for example no rando thefts of gear 'ever'?

I do like this mod a-lot so far, in my current testing it seems to be much more responsive then DA or Defeat (which Ive left installed but semi-disabled just for mod compatibility)

10 hours ago, Anunya said:

So you'll never, for example, be robbed of gold and equipment and locked up from the same defeat?

3 hours ago, Lilzt3hcat said:

Am I correct in assuming setting an options weight to '0' means for example no rando thefts of gear 'ever'?

Yep

Thanks for the answer @Code Serpent.

My personal preference is to be able to potentially stack the different outcomes. It provides more suspense about what'll happen, and allows for more serious consequences. Personally I also found it a bit strange that they might steal your stuff but leave you with all your gold. If you ever feel like implementing that option, I'd enjoy that. If not, no worries.

In the meantime, it's great having a defeat mod that's simple and just works.

(BTW, I'm using it in SSE with no issues so far)

Hey how difficult would it be to implemented the gear robbing feature for areas outside of dungeons, like I know the thing is setup so that you could recover your gear by entering the dungeon again and getting to the the gear chest you placed, but would it be possible to do the same setup but for an overwold chest, or better yet if you get robbed in the wilderness so that your gear gets robbed into one your gear chest at random.

Like at this point I'm kind of still just using defeat for it's ability to rob gear from the player and followers but even that isn't as reliable as your own mod's gear robbing feature. The only problem with your mod's robbing feature is that it doesn't work everywhere as I understand it.

This is kind of a weird suggestion of something I would like to see. But I don't know if it fits Peril design.

Sugggestion 1) Would it be possible for the surrender options be different depending on the locations type?

You can set Bandits in crypts prefer to steal more, ruin creatures rape players more often, bandit camps can be more prone to restrict players.

Not all areas are needed, just some of the more common one's like dwarven ruins, crypts, bandit camps, forsworn camps and falmer areas. or you could have the shared version and the player could pick other 2 areas out of all of the options to change odds. For a max of 3 settings.

Sugggestion 2) Would it also be possible to have the chances separated by humans and creatures?

Like humans are more greedy, draugh are more prone to add restraints to keep others from going far. In this case having creatures and not creatures, would be enough.

The dream would be to be able to combine creature settings with area settings. So each one of them could be truly customized.

Maybe have those as a toggles, you just toggle the areas that you want to use, otherwise it keeps using use the common/shared setting.

I have to say it's fun seeing all those animations I never could just by going to battle and  facing defeat.

12 hours ago, Code Serpent said:

This usually means you're missing a master file.

problem is that I checked it with mod organizer and everything but it shows no missing master files but again I added my load order before if you don't mind checking it for me 

update:I can't even start the game without mods as It crashes before I get to the main menu in game(it shows the steam overlay then just crashes)