What was the first game(s) you ever played for PC (that you remember)?

polluxval

A MS-DOS game, called News Boy I think, where you're playing a newspaper boy and try to deliver (aka throw) as many newspaper to houses as possible within a route. Either that, or Wizard (maybe) where, well, you play as a wizard in a 2d sidescroll game

It was called "Paper Boy". A classic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first Games are River Raid & Star Raiders on the old Atari 400.(yeah,i´m old).On PC i think International Karate from System 3,and Elite 2.Both in ugly CGA. But the Game for the lonely Island is the 20 year old Master of Orion 2-Battle at Antares.Since 1997 i play this Treasure once a Week.If you don´t know this,try this out.the perfect 4x Game.The new Remake of Master of Orion sucks against this.

I think the first game I played on a PC I owned was Elite. I'd played it before on Commodore 64 though.

My first encounter with gaming on PC was at school on an IBM machine with a green screen monitor. It was called Star Trek. Basically a > symbol was the Enterprise and another symbol (I forget which) was a Klingon ship and you had to type the angle in for your 'torpedo' and took turns shooting at each other.

I was fascinated by this and I've been a gamer ever since.

I actually used to work in the game industry doing graphics for C64 games and my partner at the time wanted to move into PC games, but I didn't think it would catch on as PCs were more for business use. 

Does Anyone Remember The ZX81 Games You Could Get In Various Magazines That You Had To Type In All The Code To Create Them Before You Could Play Them ...

I do, but I was on the Commodore Vic-20/C-64 path.

And often times there was a syntax error in the code and you'd have to wait a whole month to see the correction printed in next month's issue.

• 4 weeks later...

First game on PC was Ports of Call and and RPG called Phantasia 1 (CGA colors FTW) - both of which came along side my whopping 2x86, 10 mHz CPU, 1 MB RAM, 20 MB Harddrive Olivetti PC back in '92.
I even opted for only the 20 MB harddrive because I knew I'd never need 40. And I partitioned into a 11 MB C and 9 MB games drive :D

Oh the days of tweaking autoexec.bat and config.sys to get that elusive 630kb ish free RAM to run the high powered games.

Archived