What was the first game(s) you ever played for PC (that you remember)?

polluxval

Guest carywinton

>.>

<.<

Gorillas

*flees*

I remember programming in basic, well trying to learn it and Gorilla.bat was one of my first attempts. Making him dance I thought I was a serious bad ass, lol.

Guest carywinton

My first game predates all of you by quite a bit, it was called Ricochet and you plugged a controller type device into your TV set, yes this actually was considered one of the first computer games. It was just a line and a ball that you reflected off of the sides of the screen, but I played it for hours.

I guess the next big games for me were probably, Commander Keen, Doom, Neverwinter Nights, Half-Life, Diablo and Diablo2.

Neverwinter Nights is where I started to get involved in the Entertainment and Game Development industry, I started modding on the Aurora Toolset and was slowly brought into the game development groups after producing my first mod "Hyatt". The IGN Vault amazingly enough does still exist, but it is far from what it used to be, nearly nighty percent of the mods and work that used to be there is gone, including "Hyatt". I fortunately still have the majority of that mod here in tact, along with hundreds of other works from that era. I suppose I will end up being a Game Modders Museum of resources some day, lol

I do remeber it was on my old Amstrad CPC664, before my dad upgraded to Windows 95. There was lots of games, but the first one I ever played was a platformer with a guy jumping on stuff avoiding spikes; sadly I can't remember its name.

Soon or later I need to open that old box and check the name on the floppy disk because now I'm so damn curious. :D

I don't remember the name, but it was some baseball game in the mid 1980's.    We played it after work on an IBM 8088 machine with a monochrome monitor they had.  

I think King's Quest and The Black Caldron were the first ones I actually remember the name of.  Or maybe the original Leisure Suit Larry.  I remember playing that one on an orange monochrome monitor.  

Guest carywinton

I do remeber it was on my old Amstrad CPC664, before my dad upgraded to Windows 95. There was lots of games, but the first one I ever played was a platformer with a guy jumping on stuff avoiding spikes; sadly I can't remember its name.

Soon or later I need to open that old box and check the name on the floppy disk because now I'm so damn curious. :D

Sounds like it might have been Pitfall.

If you are counting the Commodore-64 as a PC, then my first computer gaming experience was;

1. F15 Strike Eagle

2. Silent Service

3. Sid Miers Pirates 

If you don't count the C64 as a PC, which I would have to question your logic behind it, then I'd have to say it was one my friends i512? I really don't remember what he said it was. It was circa 1992 damnit. He invited me over to play Warlords. .... the original. I didn't own a computer after the C64 and that went tits up on me 1990ish? Maybe? Just started high school and did not have the luxury of a computer at home, so yea.. 1990.

Personally though, even though Warlords was great and all. I was down right addicted to Pirates!

Still am really.

- those microsoft game obviously (mineswepper, hearts, freecel, solitaire)

- dune2k

- RedAlert2

- tiberian sun (or something)

- diablo & diablo2

- age of empire 2

- old counter strike, the one with dark background

i think thats all, not many game in those era :/

I came in kinda late into the PC gaming thing, probably around 2000's for me as well. Had to be about 11 at the time, with a copy of Deus Ex. Later on I'd pick up Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Rune and Quake 3. Those four right there are pretty much what I started out on.

Most people, I don't think have heard or know about Rune, the others I listed are pretty famous, but I would totally recommend Rune. It's a third person Hack 'n Slash adventure steeped in Norse Myth. I think HumanHead even released it on Steam some time ago.

There's a bunch of other games I kinda grew up on too, I remember playing Thief, Unreal, Doom, Dungeon Siege. Pretty sure there's more, my memory is just bad.

• 1 month later...

First actual games  that I liked were waterballoon drop by 3djoe or c&c tiberian sun. I remember those shitty math games we played back in elementary school, it was like a ripoff of ninja gaiden or something or oregon trail.

On another note: omfg shockwave.com still exists.

• 2 months later...

Archived