Birthdays..

We all have 'em.. whether it's your most hated day of the year, or the one you proudly celebrate with your loved ones - birthdays are.. eh, quite something right?

So, let's talk a bit about how you guys feel about your "special day". Is it something you consider worth throwing a party for? Do you like the attention it can attract through social media, within your friend groups and family? Is it the day that you congratulate yourself for surviving another year, buying yourself a nice pair of shoes and ordering family pizza all for yourself.. or do you just not give a single shit and go through it like any other regular day? 

Personally, I don't give much attention to it. I surely do appreciate certain individuals reaching out and simply showing those little signs of care, but I rarely ever think about it unless someone reminds me of what it's all about. I used to do "house parties" in my teens, which aren't far too long ago, but nowadays, at 22, I really do not see the purpose or appeal in celebrating my existence with people who pretty much just want to get drunk for free. Always down for birthday surprises though! 

I treat my birthday as any other day with the sole exception that I invite people over and make an elaborate dinner.  I get fun conversation, and I make sure everyone gets to enjoy a delicious meal.  To be fair, I do this for all my friends' birthdays. 

Gifts, cards, and other stand-in items don't compare to doing something fun with other people.

I'd prefer to celebrate having another year of life than the inevitable alternative. It could be one of the more enjoyable meta-gaming experiences that one can have, seeing how many birthday cards that one can collect without cheating and how many flavors of cake or types of main courses one can eat on those special days.

11 hours ago, Nuclear Heat said:

no point in celebrating birthdays imo birthday = 1 year less of life

Considering the fact that most creatures die young, one can rest assured that no one has a set portion of Life that they are guaranteed, thus living for another year does not deplete some reserve of life force that one can not replenish.

True, the longer that one lives, the harder it will be to resists entropy (through telomere shortening interfering with cell replication) but youth does not safeguard against mortality either.

Actually, to celebrate my birthday is the privilege of my parents and to some lesser extent, that of my big sister and perhaps of my fiancée.

Consequently I celebrate the birthday of my "wifey" and that of my little son, especially that of the latter which requires a lot of preparation.

You know, the birthday is something for those who remember it. Oneself doesn't get much older b/t the day before birthday and after, eh?

Folks just love to get nice presents tho'. And that's all.

:banana:  Let's misbehave!

Another year older another year closer to death.

The only way I would celebrate such a despicable day is for another such as family. I'll tell them happy birthday and be there for them but that's it. Ain't singing ain't buying them anything as materialism is what kills anything meaningful like Christmas used to be beloved now its all about buying the latest Iphone or 4K otherwise your wife leaves you for a 'better provider'.

Not sure why exactly, but most people migrating to Europe as refugees do not know their date of birth, since that is not of importance where they live. Even the year of birth is in some cases not known to the officials. While that sounds pretty logical when you only need a calendar for agricultural purposes, this causes a problem when they try to get registrated in Europe, hoping to gain citizenship.

Therefore, most of them chose something like 1st of January - simply because they don't put value into it, I guess.

Meaning in short: most of the world doesn't seem to bother about it.

24 minutes ago, Swiftstep said:

Not sure why exactly, but most people migrating to Europe as refugees do not know their date of birth, since that is not of importance where they live. Even the year of birth is in some cases not known to the officials. While that sounds pretty logical when you only need a calendar for agricultural purposes, this causes a problem when they try to get registrated in Europe, hoping to gain citizenship.

Therefore, most of them chose something like 1st of January - simply because they don't put value into it, I guess.

Actually the reason they don't list their birthdays is so no one actively looking for them finds their real familial surname and either tries to drag them back for being a 'subversive'/'degenerate' or being an actual criminal/terrorist. People aren't leaving to find exciting new modes of weather and strange food.

A significant portion can't even read or write the home language they're leaving anyway, they know Farsi and that's about it, the Imams and government officials are the one telling them what the written stuff "actually says".

37 minutes ago, Swiftstep said:

Makes absolutely sense.

Regarding my own birthday, I guess I had the smallest part if any at all in it.

I mean, I took my first breath and probably said something important like "uaaah babaeeeh". That's it. Nothing to congratulate anyone for it.

If there had anyone doing a big job, I guess it was my mother. And she was happy when the day was done.

You want to to anything with birthdays? Go to the mothers, do something for them!

2 hours ago, 27X said:

A significant portion can't even read or write the home language they're leaving anyway, they know Farsi and that's about it, the Imams and government officials are the one telling them what the written stuff "actually says".

Well, one should be capable to read a map or at least the nightly stars not to end up by chance in Antarctica, eh?

Moreover, Farsi is Persian and there never ever was an Iranian migrant, or do you mean the family of the former

Shah of Persia, the "King of Kings", Uncle Shmuel's best friend in the ME, and his entourage after the ousting by

the Mullahs in... uh... 1978/79, hmm?

:banana:  Let's misbehave!

1 hour ago, 27X said:

It's also ubiquitous as spoken word.

I'll let actual Persians, amongst others lay it out. 

Well, that goes for English, no doubt, yet Farsi is spoken only by Iranians

and Afghans of Persian descent. In so far I've to correct myself, slightly.

Guess you've confused Farsi with Arabic, spoken by Syrians, Libyans, Saudis

etc. In my life there never was a single Iranian migrant heading to e.g. Europe.

There are Farsi-speaking Afghans on the move tho 'caused by the perpetual

US-led Afghanistan War that has started two years before the average FO4

player was born, e.g. Pashtuns, Hazari and Tajiks, if I'm not mistaken.

But tell me, what the fuck have migrants to do with birthday? In the absence

of birth certificates or official records, many young male Afghans (they can pay

the passage with the bride price) have used historical events to determine their

age acc. to the Western calendar instead of a spec, Islamic calendar used only

in Afghanistan and Iran. That's where the popular "born on the first of January"

comes from. Don't put the blame on them, perhaps even suggesting bad faith

when it is caused by the total absence of documents and a lack of education.

5 hours ago, Jazzman said:

Guess you've confused Farsi with Arabic

Hardly.

Again, you might wanna get the context of what I'm saying between written and spoken words and significance of that before jumping once again yet again always again on your political soapbox with entirely anecdotal evidence, as the video above demonstrates with facts and not conjecture.

Meanwhile, people in very real fear for their lives tend to forget details that can get them removed mysteriously from circulation or you know existence, which doesn't really care about internet topic win scores.

And since we're bandying about anecdotal evidence this is all backed up by the local owners and proprietors of a 50s-style burger restaurant in town complete with b+w stylized pictures of relatives the owners will probably never get to see again thanks to those politics you're so eager to wave around with both hands on maximum vibrate at the drop of a hat.

6 hours ago, 27X said:

Actually, in good troll fashion you're getting personal, not even dealing with the topic as such but with parallel-worldly humbug, euphemistically described as "context".

Wow! I really do not intend to reply to such a quixotic off topic nonsense. It's a sheer waste of my time. Guess what, we're done here.