I've always wanted one of Elianora's beautiful player homes in RL. They just look so cozy!

I don't doubt in Second Life there are people who have spent $1000 real money or more on Virtual Homes for their Avatars, it can add up quick with furniture.

I saw the Lemming's link on an ESO page recently and I'd also probably violate my geek cred by saying there are several issues with the calculations they use.

For one, the cost of food won't be comparable in several situations given the availability of labor and lack of income for many in the medieval/feudal type situations most of the games mentioned contain.  Also, being games the prices for food are generally set by the developers as a control on player money resources (assuming there is a need for food and it isn't just vendor trash).

Now, using some online multiplayer games that have a vibrant, player driven economy like EVE or (due mostly to its size, WoW) as models for economic theory does hold some water. The ideas won't directly translate but the tracking of supply, demand and other related coefficients does make for some interesting modeling.

What really makes me laugh is when they try to determine how large a game's world is by measuring how far your avatar's stride is based on likely height and then trying to see how many steps it is from one side to another. Because of course a whole world is gonna be created in a game when developers have so much time on their hands they need things to do instead of releasing a fully tested and complete game early.  /sarc

Amusing, but very flawed. Game economies don't work terribly well, so using in-game currencies is kind of silly. A more practical approach would be to measure the property in units of Ye Olde Dining Table Chairs (they're pretty similar the world over), convert it to proper imperial or metric measurements depending upon target audience, and use general real estate prices in rural areas for comparison. That would make more sense.

/nerd :classic_biggrin:

Not sure what to think about this. I mean, the approach is funny but in a world where a castle that is supposed to keep a dragon is made of wood... i just doubt the inhabitants capability to properly estimate the worth of a building.

3 hours ago, Nazzzgul666 said:

Not sure what to think about this. I mean, the approach is funny but in a world where a castle that is supposed to keep a dragon is made of wood... i just doubt the inhabitants capability to properly estimate the worth of a building.

LOL, the Noah's Ark is also of wood, would be they still intact today then this would be priceless! 

I143635LP6RYFOxL.jpg

Dragonsreach in Whiterun is also an ancient building, and therefore very valuable.

You already know, that real estate is a very good investment and the older they get, the more valuable they become! :classic_wink:

edit: take a look, wooden house 128900 euros :classic_laugh:

https://www.fertighausscout.de/fertighaus/leonwood/Villa-Siena

https://www.bautipps.de/fertighaus-kompakthaeuser

2 hours ago, Alkpaz said:

Nice homes. Here is what we have: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Laredo-TX/pmf,pf_pt/49606786_zpid/52893_rid/27.810231,-99.173584,27.280569,-99.896622_rect/10_zm/

130K, for something a little better off than a shed. There was a shed for sale once, it was only 80K, one room, no bath/restroom. 

Holy shit, there is a solid wood garden house in Germany larger and above all, much cheaper. 16.399,00 € :classic_laugh:

gartenhaus-mit-schlafboden.jpg

https://www.gartenhaus2000.de/ratgeber/gartenhaus-mit-schlafboden.html

the only problem is every non-dlc home in skyrim has serious problems with them:

Breezehome: big ass fire in middle of room without a chimney + floor boards and a bed directly over it.🔥

Hjerim: is in the direct path of a avalanche.

Honeysidefoundation rot + at high risk of basement flooding.

Proudspire Manor: about ready to fall into the Sea with half the city due to wind erosion.

Vlindrel Hall: cave in risk, maybe even come down in a landslide.

Who needs a player home in the days of Ragnarök when Valkyries fly to battle and the candy play takes place in the big house of

the warlord anyway, hmm?

Ásfriður Einarsdóttir; Skyrim 2011 (vanilla) -  Féhu (The Wealth)  -

battle-hall81yni.png.f1a336966a51972efb226288cd2ac905.png

I don't...

Instead, I prefer a lush 1st class bed and breakfast for free, the privilege of the heroes.

Otheym's Noa, Oblivion 2007 (modded) -  Yuunagi (Evening Calm)  -    Luxury Real Estate 20 acres   $ 4.500.000

1923535332_TheShrine.jpg.bc06d419c24d819bcd16d0bb11cf42b2.jpg

As guest at Lord Tsunenaga's summer residence. Now that I'd call a vacation home.

Meanwhile Saint Martin Septim is waiting for me at the Weynon priory... to this day.

11 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

the only problem is every non-dlc home in skyrim has serious problems with them:

Breezehome: big ass fire in middle of room without a chimney + floor boards and a bed directly over it.🔥

Hjerim: is in the direct path of a avalanche.

Honeysidefoundation rot + at high risk of basement flooding.

Proudspire Manor: about ready to fall into the Sea with half the city due to wind erosion.

Vlindrel Hall: cave in risk, maybe even come down in a landslide.

also LOL, even if these houses are seriously endangered, they must have cost several hundred thousand Septim's!
already forgotten a gold Septim has no value in Skyrim, in Oblivion an arrow cost 1 Septim, a steel arrow even 9 Septim. 🤣

50993-1-1392092294.jpg

43073-1-1355051567.jpg

could I buy arrows in Skyrim, then 1000 piece would cost 9000 septims, Breezehome but only 6000. 

I do not know what idiot for pricing in Skyrim was responsible, I think he used cubes. lachende-smileys-347.gif

and why is that so?
because Beht. only big coins know, not the small coins! :classic_wink:

there are no silver coins let alone copper money. :classic_tongue:

edit:

such a medieval gold thaler,  have at this time , few people have seen, let alone possessed. 😮

Spoiler

Fr_1617-Schlegel_19var.jpg

4 hours ago, winny257 said:

also LOL, even if these houses are seriously endangered, they must have cost several hundred thousand Septim's!
already forgotten a gold Septim has no value in Skyrim, in Oblivion an arrow cost 1 Septim, a steel arrow even 9 Septim. 🤣

50993-1-1392092294.jpg

43073-1-1355051567.jpg

could I buy arrows in Skyrim, then 1000 piece would cost 9000 septims, Breezehome but only 6000. 

I do not know what idiot for pricing in Skyrim was responsible, I think he used cubes. lachende-smileys-347.gif

and why is that so?
because Beht. only big coins know, not the small coins! :classic_wink:

there are no silver coins let alone copper money. :classic_tongue:

edit:

such a medieval gold thaler,  have at this time , few people have seen, let alone possessed. 😮

Reveal hidden contents

Fr_1617-Schlegel_19var.jpg

BGS based their monetary systems off of the old JRPG Gold/Gil/Gald standard rather than something slightly more complex as seen in Dragon Age: Origin.

Even if they had just used dollars, there is a chance that the in-game economy would be thrown out of whack for the sake of challenge as happened with Earthbound/Mother 2.

2 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

BGS based their monetary systems off of the old JRPG Gold/Gil/Gald standard rather than something slightly more complex as seen in Dragon Age: Origin.

Even if they had just used dollars, there is a chance that the in-game economy would be thrown out of whack for the sake of challenge as happened with Earthbound/Mother 2.

Believe me, there are a lot of games, where gold, silver and copper money is available and it takes forever to get 10 gold coins.
In Skyrim I need very little time and then have several hundred thousand septims together.
and for that I only need two mods. :classic_wink:

Nimmervoller Beutel - German

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11785/

Rich Merchants

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/769

but even without these mods it does not take long and you are Stone rich.

1 hour ago, Alkpaz said:

Add weight to your coins, winny: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58375

what do you think why I use this mod?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11785/

with this bag (sack) I can carry everything, everything what in it is has no weight influence on my Character.
I could stow thousands of tons in this sack without negative influences. :classic_wink:

Spoiler

11785-1-1330611347.jpg

This is why using game economies is ridiculous. :classic_tongue:

You use real-world equivalents and rural averages since Skyrim doesn't get a population greater than 20k in any one city, even if you give it a 200:1 ratio. In the US, that means roughly 70-100 USD per square foot. Using Ye Olde Dining Table Chair Units, I'd bet Breezehome would total a bit less than 900 sq/ft. That's actually not all that cheap.

Of course, you could go full nerd and use Norwegian values per square meter, and then I'd bet it would cost a fortune. :classic_biggrin:

On 9/13/2018 at 10:30 PM, SkyAddiction said:

This is why using game economies is ridiculous. :classic_tongue:

You use real-world equivalents and rural averages since Skyrim doesn't get a population greater than 20k in any one city, even if you give it a 200:1 ratio. In the US, that means roughly 70-100 USD per square foot. Using Ye Olde Dining Table Chair Units, I'd bet Breezehome would total a bit less than 900 sq/ft. That's actually not all that cheap.

Of course, you could go full nerd and use Norwegian values per square meter, and then I'd bet it would cost a fortune. :classic_biggrin:

Someone also needs to familiarize them with the game concept of 'Units not to Scale'.