SexLab SE - Sex Animation Framework v1.66b - 01/18/2024

4 minutes ago, Tokyoghoul67 said:

Which one would you recommend? the top one or the bottom one (custom install location)?

Regardless of mod manager, anything that you want to be able to edit as a non-administrative user should be installed somewhere other than Program Files, else Windows is going to make things difficult.

I create a Games folder at the root  "\" of whatever drive I want to use (if you have more than 1), and then install all my games there, including my Steam game library (though the Steam software itself is still installed in Program Files).  You can add library locations to Steam via the Steam UI (only when the new library is on a different drive letter than any existing library...at least in my experience) .

Once you have more than one library defined, you can migrate any Steam game between them using Steam itself.  If you only have 1 drive letter and library, this is moot, but nothing is stopping you from dragging the Skyrim game folder somewhere other than Program Files and running it from there.  It should still work (or it used to) as long as Steam is installed and running.  FNIS might not be happy with the change in location, but it won't fail to run if it has been installed correctly.

If you stick with MO2, you'll need to install and set things up however it requires or you're in for a lot of grief.

If you're going to switch to Vortex, you can use Vortex to install all of your 3rd party utilities, and it actually integrates with FNIS quite well.  Bodyslide also should be installed and deployed like a mod into the game folder and run from links that point to the real game folder.  To take advantage of Vortex's hardlink deployment method (recommended), you need to make sure the Vortex Staging folder is on the same drive letter as where the game library resides.

Read the documentation for which ever mod manager you choose and install the other apps the way they suggest...at least until you're a bit more experience and know where you can bend things.  Windows AV and Ransomware settings might also be posing an issue when modding your games.  You can add exceptions to exclude protection in those areas you have games installed, but make sure you take steps to scan everything somewhere else before you install and trust it (your download location shouldn't be excluded).

@Tokyoghoul67 An extra tip for Vortex and Bodyslide, if you go that way.  Without Vortex running, add a new folder within the Vortex Staging folder structure, and call it something like Bodyslide_Output, then start up Vortex.  It's going to fuss about the rogue directory showing up and ask if you want to close it or accept the new directory.  Accept it and it will show up as a mod in the mod view.  Start Bodyslide and go into the Advance options in the settings and point the output folder setting to the new folder you created in Staging.  Anything you output from Bodyslide lands in the meshes folder within that folder.  Enable it and deploy like any other mod.  Any brand new files you add there via Bodyslide will require another deploy for them to appear in game, but anything that already exists that you overwrite again with Bodyslide does not require another deploy step (due to the hardlink association already established).

Edited by 4nk8r
3 hours ago, agmoyer955 said:

Just curious if this is a problem or not. Everything works fine but sometimes I encounter this interesting situation of being teleported over bleakwind basin during a sex scene and one of two things happen after. Either A) be teleported to the ground when finished as my partner falls to their death (unless essential) B) We both fall to our death (unless they're essential).

I found people saying just clean system in sexlab. Alright well it crashed when finished so I look around find only 1 post about this saying use some engine fixes, did that still crash after it finishes. PapyrusUtiDev.log had this one error I noticed

JSON Loading: Data/SKSE/Plugins/StorageUtilData/../SexLab/SuppressedAnimations.json
JSON: File does not exist, init empty root object...
JSON Loading: Data/SKSE/Plugins/StorageUtilData/../SexLab/SexLabOffsetsDefault.json
JSON Loading: Data/SKSE/Plugins/StorageUtilData/../SexLab/SexLabOffsets.json
JSON: File does not exist, init empty root object...

Not a clue what to do about that or if I need to but if this is fine then what are some alternatives to getting around falling to our death as funny as it was the first few times I had this happen. Starting to character and installing sexlab during that period has no issues if that helps at all.

This is an old bug.  Experienced it with LE many years ago.  Your x,y,z coordinates were lost or invalid during the animation positioning, so the game put you at location 0,0,0.  You've probably been tampering with your load order...updating/adding/removing mods, haven't you.

If you can't get a clean in Sexlab to work, you can try a full uninstall of Sexlab, load without it, save again, re-add it to your game, but there may not be a way back for this savegame.  Maybe Fallrimtools Resaver might help with pruning out Sexlab from your savegame?  Odds are you're going to end up making a new game and starting over.  Install this mod at the same time if you do:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/46620

1 hour ago, agmoyer955 said:

Anti-virus app would just be windows security which typically pops up a notification if it thinks there is a problem telling me it blocked something. I've never messed with adding exclusions to that so I wouldn't even know how for a specific folder.

Wouldn't count on it.

The apparent broadening of malware definitions in just the last six months have been an absolute plague on modding. Exclusions are becoming part of the basic requirements, though most modding guides are still behind on this.

To add exclusions in the Windows Security app go to Virus & Threat Protection > Manage Settings > Add or Remove Exclusions. There you can select the folders you would like to exclude from normal monitoring.

Naturally, the Skyrim game folder should be excluded, as you will be installing unsigned EXEs in there. Ideally you will have a single folder containing all external modding tools like LOOT, BethINI, etc, which can be excluded as a whole otherwise locate and exclude the individual folders. The Vortex data storage location in %appdata% should also be excluded as a whole, as this contains most of the installed modding utility EXEs and DLLs like FNIS, BodySlide, PapyrusUtil, ect. Also exclude any normal download locations, or places where you store mod archives that are not already covered by the above exclusions.

If specific tools and mods are still causing issues after excluding the folders, then completely uninstall and reinstall then to clear any possible tagging or sandboxing that may have been applied.

It's good practice to install the stand-alone version of PapyrusUtil and make sure that it always overrides everything else without exception. This avoids issues with some older mods that include incompatible versions of PU in their own installations.

2 hours ago, CommunistNinja said:

With v163, I have to manually advance each stage of the animation. Otherwise, it loops the initial stage indefinitely. It's like it's missing a trigger to go on to the next stage?  

Does it happen with only your own animations and not when it's only NPCs? There's a setting in the MCM for that (and it's not hard to find).

46 minutes ago, tasairis said:

Does it happen with only your own animations and not when it's only NPCs? There's a setting in the MCM for that (and it's not hard to find).

I'm talking about animations involving my PC. Under the "animation settings," the "auto advance stages" is selected, but (like I already wrote), I still have to manually advance each stage.

24 minutes ago, CommunistNinja said:

I'm talking about animations involving my PC. Under the "animation settings," the "auto advance stages" is selected, but (like I already wrote), I still have to manually advance each stage.

If there are any mods overriding SL's scripts, such as Separate Orgasm, completely uninstall them.

8 hours ago, Sailing Rebel said:

It's good practice to install the stand-alone version of PapyrusUtil and make sure that it always overrides everything else without exception. This avoids issues with some older mods that include incompatible versions of PU in their own installations.

Should this overwrite sexlab as well? Tried that as it was the only conflict and I couldn't find it under plugins to force it to load after everything else just incase. I also added the exclusion to I believe the correct folders and same crash after system clean is finished when it says like it's ready to be used.

Any other logs I should read to see if there is an error I missed?

10 hours ago, 4nk8r said:

This is an old bug.  Experienced it with LE many years ago.  Your x,y,z coordinates were lost or invalid during the animation positioning, so the game put you at location 0,0,0.  You've probably been tampering with your load order...updating/adding/removing mods, haven't you.

If you can't get a clean in Sexlab to work, you can try a full uninstall of Sexlab, load without it, save again, re-add it to your game, but there may not be a way back for this savegame.  Maybe Fallrimtools Resaver might help with pruning out Sexlab from your savegame?  Odds are you're going to end up making a new game and starting over.  Install this mod at the same time if you do:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/46620

I know you really shouldn't do those things during a save but just to make sure do they normally cause that exact bug? Def not the worse problem I've had since it doesn't always kill me and reloading after dying is not a big deal since I have my settings set to save regularly because I don't trust this game at all with how random it can be.

I'll try making a new character soon and not touch anymore mods for a while and see what happens because the bug is pretty rare. Think in the last couple weeks I've had it maybe 5 times or less. so like in 60 hours of gameplay. At least the teleporting to that area doesn't cause me a crash.

19 minutes ago, agmoyer955 said:

Should this overwrite sexlab as well? Tried that as it was the only conflict and I couldn't find it under plugins to force it to load after everything else just incase. I also added the exclusion to I believe the correct folders and same crash after system clean is finished when it says like it's ready to be used.

PapyrusUtil is an SKSE plugin mod. It will not appear in the Skyrim load order. The override here is with the files, since multiple mods may be trying to provide different versions of the PapyrusUtil.DLL and scripts.

Yes, the stand alone PapyrusUtil should override SL. The idea is to avoid the issue of other mods that containing outdated versions of PU which are then overriding SL. And the easiest way to do that is to make sure this one version always has priority, regardless of the relative priority of other mods.

47 minutes ago, agmoyer955 said:

I know you really shouldn't do those things during a save but just to make sure do they normally cause that exact bug? Def not the worse problem I've had since it doesn't always kill me and reloading after dying is not a big deal since I have my settings set to save regularly because I don't trust this game at all with how random it can be.

I'll try making a new character soon and not touch anymore mods for a while and see what happens because the bug is pretty rare. Think in the last couple weeks I've had it maybe 5 times or less. so like in 60 hours of gameplay. At least the teleporting to that area doesn't cause me a crash.

This bug isn't a guaranteed side effect of shifting load orders, but if a mod moves in your load order it has to reinitialize in its new memory location on game start before it becomes functional.  The game doesn't go hunting for a mod's previous memory address in the savefile when your load order isn't in alignment with the savegame.  Scripted mods are always risky to move around because of this.

Once you start a game, never let your load order shift.  Never install new mods in the middle of your load order, only at the bottom.  This means mods that add ESMs, will force all non ESL mods to shift downwards in location as a result.

ESLs and ESL flagged ESPs only effect the memory location of other ESLs and ESL flagged ESPs because they all occupy the FE memory space, where as a regular ESM or ESP is able to use memory locations from 05 - FD.  Vortex refers to this memory location as the Mod Index in the Plugin view.

Plugins providing overrides (no new objects) don't cause much issue if they are moved around, aside from any mods they happen to displace as a result.

Use profile management when you want to try new mods in a playthru that would cause shifts in load order.  Start using Project Proteus.

6 minutes ago, 4nk8r said:

Use profile management when you want to try new mods in a playthru that would cause shifts in load order.  Start using Project Proteus.

Thanks I'll look into that mod. Like I said the bug seems really small and not a real problem since it doesn't crash my game, stop another mod from working or anything close to that, just a small inconvenience.

12 hours ago, 4nk8r said:

@Tokyoghoul67 An extra tip for Vortex and Bodyslide, if you go that way.  Without Vortex running, add a new folder within the Vortex Staging folder structure, and call it something like Bodyslide_Output, then start up Vortex.  It's going to fuss about the rogue directory showing up and ask if you want to close it or accept the new directory.  Accept it and it will show up as a mod in the mod view.  Start Bodyslide and go into the Advance options in the settings and point the output folder setting to the new folder you created in Staging.  Anything you output from Bodyslide lands in the meshes folder within that folder.  Enable it and deploy like any other mod.  Any brand new files you add there via Bodyslide will require another deploy for them to appear in game, but anything that already exists that you overwrite again with Bodyslide does not require another deploy step (due to the hardlink association already established).

Ok, I had to keep Steam on my C drive because that is the only drive I have. I installed Vortex but there is no Vortex Staging folder at all with the new organizer. Should I download an older version of Vortex or keep the new version before I start adding any mods?

3 hours ago, Tokyoghoul67 said:

Ok, I had to keep Steam on my C drive because that is the only drive I have. I installed Vortex but there is no Vortex Staging folder at all with the new organizer. Should I download an older version of Vortex or keep the new version before I start adding any mods?

Are you using the Vortex Beta for Nexus Collections?  I have the most recent non-beta of Vortex, and it has a Staging folder system.  Click on Settings, then Mods.  It should be listed at the top.

22 minutes ago, 4nk8r said:

Are you using the Vortex Beta for Nexus Collections?  I have the most recent non-beta of Vortex, and it has a Staging folder system.  Click on Settings, then Mods.  It should be listed at the top.

Ok, I see it there. I was thinking that it was a folder that was located in the Skyrim folder on the hard drive. Also, Merry Christmas!

On 12/24/2021 at 7:55 PM, Tokyoghoul67 said:

I'm computer stupid... When I downloaded the MO2 and installed the mods it put them somewhere which I thought was the correct place. [...] I guess you just have to be a computer whiz for this type of gaming huh???

On 12/24/2021 at 7:35 PM, 4nk8r said:

MO2 requires strict adherence to how it does its thing or you will suffer pain and frustration attempting to use it with all the other 3rd party utilities required to correctly mod Skyrim [...] Perhaps Vortex is more your speed?

Even its adherents agree that MO2 is more difficult to learn, and use correctly, than Vortex is. Since you have self-identified as a newbie ("noob") vis-à-vis mod managers, you might appreciate the less-challenging learning curve and more intuitive, more automated operation (if you enable/allow the automation) of Vortex, as 4nk8r suggested.

EDIT: Upon reading the rest of the thread, I see you have already done as 4nk8r suggested. Happy modding!

Edited by Vyxenne
Because her reply to an earlier post was later rendered moot
6 hours ago, 4nk8r said:

Ok, it's not recognizing SKE64 and one other program. I'm going to call it a night and buy an external hard drive tomorrow. I also noticed on the other page with the framework that a few individuals stated that it needs to be updated so I don't know if that is also causing the issue. Have a good night and once again thanks for your help.

So, I just did a clean install of sexlab 164b and have checked that the required mods are up to date multiple times. I get the attached error when I load my game and I can't load my game within the skyui mod manager. Game runs fine but I obviously can't use any animations. My game says it's out of date when I load in and if I go to the page where you'd usually load sexlab, it doesn't show checkmarks next to anything, even if I have things installed.

I've looked through this thread, but nothing that was suggested has worked.

Quick edit: it seems that it might be a JContainers issue, but I'm still reading through things.

Screenshot 2021-12-25 202232.png

Edited by pennyq
3 hours ago, Tokyoghoul67 said:

Ok, it's not recognizing SKE64 and one other program. I'm going to call it a night and buy an external hard drive tomorrow. I also noticed on the other page with the framework that a few individuals stated that it needs to be updated so I don't know if that is also causing the issue. Have a good night and once again thanks for your help.

1. Open Vortex in MODS view.
  2. Drag the SKSE64 zip to the Drop Files area at the bottom.  It should now show up as a mod in Vortex.
  3. Mark it Disabled.
  4. Double-click on the SKSE64 row in Vortex MODS view (most anywhere works).
  5. A side panel should open up on the right.
  6. Change Mod Type to Engine Injector
  7. Enable and Deploy
  8. In MODS view, click the folder icon and select Open Game Folder
  9. Find skse64_loader.exe, right click on it and select "Pin to taskbar".  It is about mid way in the menu that shows up.
  10. Launch Skyrim SE from the icon on your taskbar from now on (make sure Steam is running 1st).
Edited by 4nk8r