Help Protect Net Nuetrality

Good thing T-Mobile isn't US owned or I'd be fucked. My primary Internet data provider is T-Mobile. Fortunately if I go overseas, pay for new service over there, then bring my phone back to the US, that automatcially bypasses any and all FCC bullshit. I'm not gonna get into the legalities of using foreign telecom providers to bypass Internet blocks, but the Chinese do it all the damn time to bypass the Chinese government's website bans.

Oh and another thing...someone, somewhere, is gonna make their own ISP that doesn't censor Internet, and people are gonna flock to them, and they're gonna get all the money instead of the government.

"I'm gonna have my own ISP, with blackjack and hookers!"

1 hour ago, RussianPrince said:

Oh and another thing...someone, somewhere, is gonna make their own ISP that doesn't censor Internet, and people are gonna flock to them, and they're gonna get all the money instead of the government.

"I'm gonna have my own ISP, with blackjack and hookers!"

Not possible with the current system we have. ISPs like Comcast & them have all agreed to regionally isolate themselves in order to avoid competition while snuffing out all the smaller companies. That's why you get towns or cities where they may have only ONE ISP available or 2 if they're lucky. They're basically regional monopolies & even the government is not allowed to create a taxpayer funded alternative to it (though when you look at other taxpayer public services, maybe its better they don't have one.) Still though, we need to adopt a system like South Korea's after we manage to keep Net Neutrality. They force companies to compete nationally on the same lines in order to benefit the consumer & that results in them having the world's fastest Internet possible. They're able to download an entire movie in 4K resolution in under minutes & get ridiculous speed in online gaming too. That's what we need to have but we can't if we lose net neutrality.

4 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Isn't it weird how the internet worked just fine for more than 20 years without net neutrality?

Where were those "greedy corporate moneygrabbers" that are behind the anti net neutrality campaign then?

Oh right, they were building the network infrastructure (which they are now not allowed to control even though they own it) and tried to find a reasonable balance for different data types (internet bandwith is still very limited even today) so that their customers don't complain too much and don't leave for a different service provider.

Now I read that deprioritizing BitTorrent packages so that other users could use that bandwith for something more useful than sharing stolen movies, music and games was supposed to be an outrage for some reason. Interesting.

Except there are multiple cases of ISP fuckery before net neutrality came to pass because there was no set rules back then to stop them:

2005: Madison River Comms blocking VOIP services, FCC stops them

https://www.cnet.com/news/telco-agrees-to-stop-blocking-voip-calls/

2007: Comcast blocks p2p services without telling customers

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21376597/ns/technology_and_science-internet/t/comcast-blocks-some-internet-traffic/#.WhWkhTdOmUk\

2009: AT&T tries to block Skype, is forced to give up after FCC pressures them

https://www.wired.com/2009/10/iphone-att-skype/

2011: MetroPCS blocking all streaming except YouTube & sued the FCC to keep doing it (who the fuck thinks that's a good thing?)

https://www.wired.com/2011/01/metropcs-net-neutrality/

2011-2013: Verizon blocks Google Wallet because it competes with their similar service, AT&T & Sprint follow suit

http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/06/technology/verizon_blocks_google_wallet/index.htm

2012: Verizon blocks Google tethering apps because it was free compared to their $20 tethering fee

http://money.cnn.com/2012/07/31/technology/verizon-tethering-apps/index.htm

2012: AT&T blocks FaceTime for more money from customers, is forced to give up

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-tech/post/atandt-lifts-facetime-restrictions-on-apple-iphones/2012/11/08/cbec36de-29de-11e2-b4e0-346287b7e56c_blog.html?utm_term=.f699a718ce8f

2013: Article containing these & other violations of the free internet before 2015's rules were in place (especially the one where Verizon states in court that net neutrality is the only thing stopping them from favoring certain content providers over others

https://www.freepress.net/blog/2017/04/25/net-neutrality-violations-brief-history

We have been fighting these assholes for years over net neutrality, it was not "some fad" that started in 2014. We got net neutrality to make all the shit they pulled illegal so it couldn't happen again, & now they're about to make it all legal again!

All of this happens because we are still limited by ancient hardware such as wires. Back in what was it the 20's in america they tried two dozen or more phone company wires all over the place and every time a storm came along and knocked down the utility pole, all those companies had to come out at the same time to fix that one pole it was a big mess so that right there is really why we only have the phone company and the cable company except where there are certain areas that have smaller cable companies operating near comcast controlled areas. Wireless technology is the only way around something like this but we are still a long way off from that working and then of course there is the rules and regulations and limitations of all the different wireless spectrums that can be used.

49 minutes ago, Destroyah340 said:

Except there are multiple cases of ISP fuckery before net neutrality came to pass because there was no set rules back then to stop them:

2005: Madison River Comms blocking VOIP services, FCC stops them

https://www.cnet.com/news/telco-agrees-to-stop-blocking-voip-calls/

2007: Comcast blocks p2p services without telling customers

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21376597/ns/technology_and_science-internet/t/comcast-blocks-some-internet-traffic/#.WhWkhTdOmUk\

2009: AT&T tries to block Skype, is forced to give up after FCC pressures them

https://www.wired.com/2009/10/iphone-att-skype/

2011: MetroPCS blocking all streaming except YouTube & sued the FCC to keep doing it (who the fuck thinks that's a good thing?)

https://www.wired.com/2011/01/metropcs-net-neutrality/

2011-2013: Verizon blocks Google Wallet because it competes with their similar service, AT&T & Sprint follow suit

http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/06/technology/verizon_blocks_google_wallet/index.htm

2012: Verizon blocks Google tethering apps because it was free compared to their $20 tethering fee

http://money.cnn.com/2012/07/31/technology/verizon-tethering-apps/index.htm

2012: AT&T blocks FaceTime for more money from customers, is forced to give up

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-tech/post/atandt-lifts-facetime-restrictions-on-apple-iphones/2012/11/08/cbec36de-29de-11e2-b4e0-346287b7e56c_blog.html?utm_term=.f699a718ce8f

2013: Article containing these & other violations of the free internet before 2015's rules were in place (especially the one where Verizon states in court that net neutrality is the only thing stopping them from favoring certain content providers over others

https://www.freepress.net/blog/2017/04/25/net-neutrality-violations-brief-history

We have been fighting these assholes for years over net neutrality, it was not "some fad" that started in 2014. We got net neutrality to make all the shit they pulled illegal so it couldn't happen again, & now they're about to make it all legal again!

From these examples it doesn't look like it was legal before Obama era net neutrality legislation came into effect either.

Or are they planning to deregulate this stuff even more than before that? Wouldn't surprise me of course, what they are doing with bank supervision and regulation atm is suicide too. We already had the big crash and they are still going back to a completely deregulated financial market like none of it happened. Makes me worry much much more than internet legislation because I can already see the shock wave ripples from the next US finance sector crash coming across the Atlantic Ocean.

There goes even more of my tax payer money, wasted to save fucking banks, yay! :(

3 hours ago, Bazinga said:

From these examples it doesn't look like it was legal before Obama era net neutrality legislation came into effect either.

Or are they planning to deregulate this stuff even more than before that? Wouldn't surprise me of course, what they are doing with bank supervision and regulation atm is suicide too. We already had the big crash and they are still going back to a completely deregulated financial market like none of it happened. Makes me worry much much more than internet legislation because I can already see the shock wave ripples from the next US finance sector crash coming across the Atlantic Ocean.

There goes even more of my tax payer money, wasted to save fucking banks, yay! :(

It was more of a greyish area back then, some of it straight up illegal, others weren't & ISP's tried to fight to make it legal which is why some of those have gone to court over it & all have lost thankfully. If net neutrality dies, they will deregulate the absolute shit out of it to degrees even worse than what we had before 2015. That is what will allow all of what they did back then to be legal & the FCC will perpetuate it to happen. I'm usually a free market guy but its not going to help here. The "free market" approach is what allowed the regional monopolies to grow unchallenged & only regulation like net neutrality can stop this.

everyone be talking about isps throttling their 30 to 50 mpbs connection while i'm getting 1mbps on lucky days. XD

btw does trump and other politicians understand that removing net neutrality is like all nations having their thumb on nuke button. every isp WILL fuck with other isp. you know. like say person x wants to move from AT&T to venizon, well let's check their site and woooops, it's censored. i love how greed make people retards.

Which attempt is it this year ?  The 3rd ? 

The US are truly capitalism at its best/worst : power hungry companies buy politicians to ensure their monopoly and destroy concurrence.  Once no one can compete, enforce shitty service and milk your citizens with absurd prices.

This shit is straight out from Idiocracy where stupid people allowing those politicians make up the majority.

God I hate greedy CEOs.

7 minutes ago, johntrine said:

Don't hate greedy CEOs. business NEEDS the leaders to be greedy since most business can't be run on charity and need profit to work. it's the RETARDED AND GREEDY (in one package) kinda CEOs that should be hated

Being greedy is not about earning money, being greedy is about wanting more than you need just and keeping it for yourself.  Sure, a good leader tries to make the most money, but to improve its company.   Just look how they use it here : bribing politicians, all hail stakeholders, fuck service and customers.

I'm not even a US citizen and this makes me mad because every retarded thing that happens there ends up in Europe two years later.

wow I didn't realize I got so many replies, I forgot to turn notifications on lol.

It warms my heart to see so many people care and show concern over this topic though true I've seen some rather cynical message's but that's still good at least this is still perceived as a problem either way, please to anyone else who reads this please make sure this doesn't happen by calling your local congress and if your not a U.S citizen than just wish us luck or something.

12 hours ago, pinky6225 said:

Tbh as someone that isnt in the US i dont understand why you'd have a system where ISP's have monopolies for net neutrality to be an issue, surely remove the monopoly and the other issue goes away

No ISP has a monopoly thanks to Satellite internet... :vomit:

On 11/22/2017 at 2:13 PM, johntrine said:

i believe that greed isn't an evil. just how fear isn't bad. being greedy helps you attain a lot of things in life... it's when greed get's outta hand and affects others. like with how you mentioned.

I guess that depends on how you define "greed".  I remember one Atlanta radio host regularly arguing that there was no valid definition of greed.  I'd disagree with that.

You *seem* to be defining greed as simply a desire for more.  Under that definition, I'd agree agree that greed isn't bad.   My personal definition, and one I think resonates with most people is greed is a desire for for what you're not willing to earn honestly.   Conservatives will argue that a company's executives have an obligation to the shareholders to make good on their investments, and that a business growing is good for the neighboring community in terms of tax dollars, employment, etc...   On the surface, they're right.

However, businesses used to think long term and also realize that doing right by their customers leads to long term profitability.  Now instead many of them go for short term profit, screw the customers and damage the company over the long term.   They don't care though, when they're fired they have multi-million dollar golden parachutes.  Let the next schmuck clean up the mess.  Somewhere along the line, companies have forgotten that business is a relationship.  Good business is a long term relationship.

Returning to the main subject:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/11/comcast-quietly-drops-promise-not-to-charge-tolls-for-internet-fast-lanes/

Is ANYBODY really surprised there?  Guarandamnedtee they'll bottleneck non premium subscribers too. I've posted elsewhere on the site about how they're already so oversold in my city that my former office was as slow as dial up while paying for premium business class internet.

4 hours ago, Shadowhawk827 said:

I guess that depends on how you define "greed".  I remember one Atlanta radio host regularly arguing that there was no valid definition of greed.  I'd disagree with that.

You *seem* to be defining greed as simply a desire for more.  Under that definition, I'd agree agree that greed isn't bad.   My personal definition, and one I think resonates with most people is greed is a desire for for what you're not willing to earn honestly.   Conservatives will argue that a company's executives have an obligation to the shareholders to make good on their investments, and that a business growing is good for the neighboring community in terms of tax dollars, employment, etc...   On the surface, they're right.

However, businesses used to think long term and also realize that doing right by their customers leads to long term profitability.  Now instead many of them go for short term profit, screw the customers and damage the company over the long term.   They don't care though, when they're fired they have multi-million dollar golden parachutes.  Let the next schmuck clean up the mess.  Somewhere along the line, companies have forgotten that business is a relationship.  Good business is a long term relationship.

well. businesses are supposed to be something that increase the overall welfare and earning of people. hence the reason why any children can eat chocolates now when compared to ye ol' days. sure making chocolates now is easier, but they could've kept the method secret and make billions. yet they satisfied themselves by millions (and millions of smiles (and rotten teethes)). I believe they did it cos they had the greed to eat and share chocolate. but that's my two take on it. but now, that greed that was aimed to pull the world on it's shoulder is now used to exploit the world. but hey, who knows maybe they'll discover a way to eat and drink money. (i just wish that SOME DAY all the farmers across the world go "fuck you make your own food, i ain't sellin' nothin'.")

4 hours ago, Shadowhawk827 said:

Returning to the main subject:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/11/comcast-quietly-drops-promise-not-to-charge-tolls-for-internet-fast-lanes/

Is ANYBODY really surprised there?  Guarandamnedtee they'll bottleneck non premium subscribers too. I've posted elsewhere on the site about how they're already so oversold in my city that my former office was as slow as dial up while paying for premium business class internet.

Man. as a foreigner, i don't know how to help other than to spread awareness.

The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

___ Morpheus, The Matrix (1999)

NB To find the exact movie quote I've inserted a few relevant search parameters for my alternative search engine into the search bar in Firefox... and bang!, instead of a search result I got the Firefox info that my "search options" were allegedly "outdated". Change to (CIA controlled) Google Search or Cancel the proposal. Needless to say what I did, and successfully, but it's an insult to my intelligence to try to lure me back under total state control, the system, and all this under false pretense, either by Firefox or Microsoft...

6 hours ago, Deso561PL said:

You know nothing about me, so please fuck off.

Well, that's not quite true. I know something about you. I know that you don't care, because you fucking said so or did you lie and you care about it? Why did you even mention it in a forum, if you can't bear headwind? Someone has another opinion and you start to cry?

This whole "i don't give a fuck" mentality is like a fucking cancer in our whole society. We should fucking care, then they couldn't do this to us. Ignorance is not a bliss. ;) They fear us more then we fear them. That's why they use their fucking "divide and conquer" tactic for centuries against us. It's time to stand up together and it's time to get fucking mad. They are shitting in our faces and sell it to us as chocolate and they laugh about us, because we fucking eat it. Is that okay for you? Do you really think this is something you shouldn't fucking care about? Well, i do and i am fucking angry! Enough is enough!

Archived