run MODs without manager?

bm2x

So my skse works so long as I run it as itself.  I can't run it off nexus or modmanager but idk why because all the files are updated and in the correct locations.  Can I run my mods without an additional program?  Is there a way to cut out the middle man (so to speak) and just get everything in the game without using the nexus or something? 

This is kind of my last hope at this point.  -_-  (*hopes for the best*)

I have never, and will never, use/d a mod manager so I can assure you that it works fine, as it always has - but you do have to know what you're doing. There is a learning curve involved but you don't need a degree in computers - just a reasonable knowledge of Windows and the game's directories. Mod managers exist to make life simple but are not mandatory, in the Oblivion days with Archive invalidation it was a little more complex but Skyrim runs like clockwork without a mod manager. And I't not like I'm running light on mods either, though admittedly I have a heavily curated load order.

Biggest drawback really is mods that have no manual install d/l option and have a ton of optional files packaged where you have to sort through multiple  folders looking for the right file to install.

If you are not familiar with windows and file/folder structure, and don't like to manually edit files then fix your existing problem instead because it isn't going to make adding and removing mods and updating plugins lists easier for you at all.

My issue is that none of my managers (Nexus, ModDrop, ModOrganizer) will run SKSE.  I do not know what the issue is, but whenever I try to run it off of one of the managers it gives me the incorrect file location/could not locate TES_.exe error.

I went and did all the advanced installs of SKSE and I changed the ini file and blah blah blah: Like I said, SKSE runs fine, but not off any of my organizer programs.

I AM compitent in Windows and I do understand the file structure and all that.  I also understand that the managers have a purpose: doing all the legwork for you.  So I feel like I understand that avoiding the organizers is NOT the easy way, but it seems like my only option at this point as I have already exhausted all my other options.

If anybody has any sort of directions/instructions/start heres that would be GREATLY appreciated as I now have a bit of learning to accomplish so I make the sex in the Skyrim. 

22 hours ago, bm2x said:

My issue is that none of my managers (Nexus, ModDrop, ModOrganizer) will run SKSE.  I do not know what the issue is, but whenever I try to run it off of one of the managers it gives me the incorrect file location/could not locate TES_.exe error.

I went and did all the advanced installs of SKSE and I changed the ini file and blah blah blah: Like I said, SKSE runs fine, but not off any of my organizer programs.

I AM compitent in Windows and I do understand the file structure and all that.  I also understand that the managers have a purpose: doing all the legwork for you.  So I feel like I understand that avoiding the organizers is NOT the easy way, but it seems like my only option at this point as I have already exhausted all my other options.

If anybody has any sort of directions/instructions/start heres that would be GREATLY appreciated as I now have a bit of learning to accomplish so I make the sex in the Skyrim. 

Ok I have not used a mod manager in a long time but why do you need them to launch skse? If the mod manager has installed the mods and created a plugin list then launching skse from a simple windows shortcut should do exactly the same thing as launching it through a mod manager unless there are some specific profile paths the modmanager is creating vs editing the plugins list. Even if that is the case you can quickly edit the plugin list with the mods you installed using whatever mod manager and just launch skse.

3 hours ago, RW311 said:

Ok I have not used a mod manager in a long time but why do you need them to launch skse? If the mod manager has installed the mods and created a plugin list then launching skse from a simple windows shortcut should do exactly the same thing as launching it through a mod manager unless there are some specific profile paths the modmanager is creating vs editing the plugins list. Even if that is the case you can quickly edit the plugin list with the mods you installed using whatever mod manager and just launch skse.

Okay... so then I should run SKSE and all my other mods (Steam, Nexus, Here, etc...) should all automatically run?  And if that doesn't happen?  Because that's not what's happening, how do I edit the list and run SKSE w/o using any of the Mod managers?

No, if you install mods with MO, the mods are NOT installed in the data of Skyrim but in the profile folder of MO.

You could copy the files and folders from the profile folder of MO into the data of Skyrim.

Then start Skyrim_launcher and sort the Mods OR you use LOOT (recommended).
Then run FNIS if necessary.
Now you can start Skyrim manually with SKSE_Launcher.

Note: In User \ AppData \ Local \ Skyrim are the files of your DLC's and mods. In Plugins.txt the load order of the activated mods.

Further note: To manually install mods for the MO Installer, read the ModuleConfig.xml in FOMOD folder. There is installation instruction.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2017 at 3:19 AM, Andy14 said:

No, if you install mods with MO, the mods are NOT installed in the data of Skyrim but in the profile folder of MO.

You could copy the files and folders from the profile folder of MO into the data of Skyrim.

Then start Skyrim_launcher and sort the Mods OR you use LOOT (recommended).
Then run FNIS if necessary.
Now you can start Skyrim manually with SKSE_Launcher.

Note: In User \ AppData \ Local \ Skyrim are the files of your DLC's and mods. In Plugins.txt the load order of the activated mods.

Further note: To manually install mods for the MO Installer, read the ModuleConfig.xml in FOMOD folder. There is installation instruction.

Yeah, I'm not dead yet.

I moved my MODs into the data folder and I have a LooT-created load order, but I cannot find the >Plugins.txt< file?  Is this something that I need to create and will auto-load?  Where should it be?  I'm seriously lost AS F- ... you get the idea. 

I'm seriously sorry that I bugg everyone like this, but I am also grateful that I can find help here.

On 15/11/2017 at 11:42 AM, Pauduan said:

I have never, and will never, use/d a mod manager so I can assure you that it works fine, as it always has - but you do have to know what you're doing. There is a learning curve involved but you don't need a degree in computers - just a reasonable knowledge of Windows and the game's directories.

you download a mod

you put the zip in data folder

you unzip it

you load the game, you try the mod and... there's a problem

what will your reasonable knowledge of windows and game directories do about that?

if that mod was just a folder in a mod manager...

you can just delete that folder and problem solved

you can mess around to fix the problem whatever it is too, doesn't matter if you fail, you can go back to what your game was before installing the mod

and everyone fail, when you download a mod, you have no idea what you are getting, it's all about luck

and relying on luck... no thanks

4 hours ago, bm2x said:

...this is what I have?  Unless I'm looking in the wrong place or something?

helps.png

The Pugin.txt is created by Skyrim launcher when you activate/deactivate/reorder mods there.
And Loot also generates the Plugin.txt.

The Plugin.txt is in C: Users / YourName / Appdata / Local / Skyim.
In Windows, click on Start-> YourName-> Appdata, etc.

1 hour ago, yatol said:

you download a mod

you put the zip in data folder

you unzip it

you load the game, you try the mod and... there's a problem

what will your reasonable knowledge of windows and game directories do about that?

It depends on whether you overwrote files or not, and exactly which ones.

If you didn't overwrite any files, simply copying the mod over again and undoing the action will delete the mod and you can resume playing as normal. It would be as if never existed.

If the mod overwrote the files the scenario changes a bit.

If it was an upgrade version of an earlier mod, you'll have to copy over the old version again.

Scripts and facegen/tints may need to be restored from backup, or any .json files else the game states may change.

If you know what you're doing, you're not going to have a problem. I've been modding games since long before mod managers were even a concept, and I'm not sure how useful mod managers are for creators. I've never used one while making my own mods, and a backed-up data folder simply rolls back to your stable state whenever you want.

The correct way to extract files is to not put it into your data folder in the first place. I open the file in 7zip and inspect the structure, so I know exactly how the mod is organised and what it changes. If it is a very complex mod or has not been packed properly, I will extract it to a temporary location first and pack it into a .bsa file for a test run, so I know it works somewhat before I delete the bsa and copy the files over (if I need to, as some scripts may need to be overwritten).

If required I can replace files by hand from the correct version either from backup or the older mods. There is nothing that a mod manager can do, that a human being cannot. Guess who wrote the mod manager? Guess where the program's logic was designed? In a human brain, and therefore a human can do exactly the same functions if he knows the same logic.

I don't reply on luck either. 

i just started using mod organiser so i'll post here on how i installed skse using MO.

1) download the archived version of SKSE

2) extract everything outside the data folder on skyrim main folder ie skse loader and  such.

3) add the skse archive to MO downloads folder and install it

boom jam you're done.

you COULD use skse installer. that's easy to use BUT if a mod overwrites skse scripts and you're a modding noob like me and don't realise, you'll have a skyrim that CTDs. A LOT.

BTW tutorial's here (Mod Organizer #4 - Installing Scripted FOMODs, SKSE and SkyUI ...) i used this when i installed it and it works perfectly.

2 hours ago, Pauduan said:

If you know what you're doing, you're not going to have a problem. I've been modding games since long before mod managers were even a concept, and I'm not sure how useful mod managers are for creators. I've never used one while making my own mods, and a backed-up data folder simply rolls back to your stable state whenever you want.

when you have no idea what the mod you are installing do, whatever you know doesn't matter

making a backup of your skyrim folder everytime you install a mod?

purpose of mods managers is to not have to do that...

download savegamecleaner and compare your save to mine

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/86988-what-the-hell-did-i-do/

without mo, that save would have died years ago

like perkus save, skyre save, sperg save, vanilla save, and oblivion saves (have never finish oblivion)

1 hour ago, yatol said:

when you have no idea what the mod you are installing do, whatever you know doesn't matter

making a backup of your skyrim folder everytime you install a mod?

purpose of mods managers is to not have to do that...

Extreme positions never help a discussion. I never said you must back up the data folder before every install. I hardly ever need the backup any more.

If I have no idea what a mod does, installing it is pointless. Why did I download it in the first place? For the pretty pictures on the mod page?

When we try anything new with the aim of becoming proficient at it, the idea is to create a state of perfect intention: every action we take, we must be prepared for any and all consequences, and that can only happen when we have prepared ourselves properly. In most cases, looking at the mod's structure will tell us within reasonable bounds, what the mod is going to do and what changes it will impose on the game environment. This does not avoid the perils of badly made mods (of which there *many* examples) which will screw up the game regardless of how you install them.

To be totally clear I wasn't born with this pitifully useless ability - it took a lot of practice - and it's not as if I don't make mistakes now. But one thing you won't see me doing is staring helplessly at a screen, wondering what to do. I would have pinpointed the culprit and reversed the action, or removed the mod and fixed things back up, or contacted the publisher and asked for a fix. I too have a bunch of old savegames from 2013-2014, one which went through several rounds of script-heavy installs/uninstalls mid-game that needed severe cleaning (I managed to complete that playthrough).

It's called 'Handling a situation'. If you're happy with your way that's fine. Just understand, so am I and I will continue to practice and preach it. Let us agree to differ. I will *never* use a Mod Manager and it's clear you won't do without. That's fine by me :) I'm happy to answer the original question with the statement that you can have a fairly complex install without using a mod manager - IF you know what you're doing.

21 minutes ago, Pauduan said:

Extreme positions never help a discussion. I never said you must back up the data folder before every install. I hardly ever need the backup any more.

If I have no idea what a mod does, installing it is pointless. Why did I download it in the first place? For the pretty pictures on the mod page?

When we try anything new with the aim of becoming proficient at it, the idea is to create a state of perfect intention: every action we take, we must be prepared for any and all consequences, and that can only happen when we have prepared ourselves properly. In most cases, looking at the mod's structure will tell us within reasonable bounds, what the mod is going to do and what changes it will impose on the game environment. This does not avoid the perils of badly made mods (of which there *many* examples) which will screw up the game regardless of how you install them.

To be totally clear I wasn't born with this pitifully useless ability - it took a lot of practice - and it's not as if I don't make mistakes now. But one thing you won't see me doing is staring helplessly at a screen, wondering what to do. I would have pinpointed the culprit and reversed the action, or removed the mod and fixed things back up, or contacted the publisher and asked for a fix. I too have a bunch of old savegames from 2013-2014, one which went through several rounds of script-heavy installs/uninstalls mid-game that needed severe cleaning (I managed to complete that playthrough).

It's called 'Handling a situation'. If you're happy with your way that's fine. Just understand, so am I and I will continue to practice and preach it. Let us agree to differ. I will *never* use a Mod Manager and it's clear you won't do without. That's fine by me :) I'm happy to answer the original question with the statement that you can have a fairly complex install without using a mod manager - IF you know what you're doing.

wait. i'll try to sum this up in noob words. if you're noobest of noobs in modding, use nmm. it's good for playing a vanilla skyrim with a few mods..

when you lvl up from noobest of noobs in modding, use mod organiser. it's great as it saves you from having to reinstall the game when something goes wrong and you have no idea what.

if you are advance noob in modding, or don't like mod managers, just copy paste mods. but you gotta read EVERYTHING before installing mods and be careful what you overwrite.

did i do a good job explaining?

also if you wait for a while, nexus group will release vortex mod manager or nmm 2.0. it's got the guy who made mod organiser as a guy who's working on it. it'll be better than nmm but a bit less better than mod organiser.

Archived