run MODs without manager?

bm2x

On 15.11.2017 at 10:45 AM, bm2x said:

Is there a way to cut out the middle man (so to speak) and just get everything in the game without using the nexus or something? 

That was the question in the topic!
Disputes of MO or NMM or manual installation are completely unnecessary.
Each of these three medals has two sides.

35 minutes ago, Pauduan said:

In most cases, looking at the mod's structure will tell us within reasonable bounds, what the mod is going to do and what changes it will impose on the game environment.

you look at the zip of all mods you install?

june 2016, pauduan check the zip of statue mod y, see some nif and dds, and unzip that in data folder

march 2019, pauduan check the zip of texture replacer mod z

mod y nif no longer have the same uv map as vanilla, it's no good with mod z dds

will you see that looking at mod z zip? click yes to each overwrite waiting for those statues dds? or look for mod y zip to unzip it over mod z?

heard of something called unof patch?

if you use better quests objectives, those vanilla quests with edited blabla will have problems with unof patch pex

you need an unof patch patch for a lot of mods because unof patch edit a lot of stuff, and lose all conflicts

complicated to check that mess, you need tesedit for that

there's some nifs in unof bsa that are overwrite by fixed uv map nifs, high poly nifs, parallax nifs... complicated to check that mess if you don't know what is what

it's for that those tools were made, to not get lost in your mess

and a step that got forgotten since oblivion (because the performance impact of mods disappeared with ssd), once your mess work, you repack with the game bsa

you don't want to have to reinstall those mods if your harddrive died, an update break skyrim, you break skyrim or whatever

a zip take less space, if you care about that, but it will take more time to unzip than to copy paste the new bsa

you can't compare texture replacer 2019 to texture replacer a,b,c,d,e.... too many files to compares

but if you merge that with skyrim bsa, you can compare texture replacer 2019 to whatever won the file order (not because it's newer it's better)

repacking your mess, make comparing future mods to it easier

6 hours ago, yatol said:

you look at the zip of all mods you install?

june 2016, pauduan check the zip of statue mod y, see some nif and dds, and unzip that in data folder

march 2019, pauduan check the zip of texture replacer mod z

mod y nif no longer have the same uv map as vanilla, it's no good with mod z dds

will you see that looking at mod z zip? click yes to each overwrite waiting for those statues dds? or look for mod y zip to unzip it over mod z?

Yatol

I'm not sure I'm getting through to you.

You use one method that you're happy with.

I use another, and I'm happy with that.

Why do you need to convince me I am wrong?

I don't run into the kind of situation you have outlined above.

Before installing the texture mod z, I will specially look to see if it will overwrite any previously replaced textures or meshes.

And to answer, I do check every archive. It is part of my install process. I open archive, take a cursory look, right click the game shortcut to open the game directory and drag the contents into data if it passes a cursory check. If I see or suspect something unusual, I do check the contents of the archive folder. I installed SMIM manually, you can imagine. Not got it wrong even once, even on part installations.

It's called 'learning'. I care a damn about that, so yes, I do take the effort.

You don't have to illustrate every single use case. There are roadblocks and pitfalls no matter which method you use, with my process I'm better prepared.

You have a specific preference and so do I. We're not solving world hunger here, so I think we can do as we like, present our point of view and let the poster choose what they like. The discussion has veered heavily off-track anyway.

On 12/5/2017 at 8:16 AM, johntrine said:

wait. i'll try to sum this up in noob words. if you're noobest of noobs in modding, use nmm. it's good for playing a vanilla skyrim with a few mods..

when you lvl up from noobest of noobs in modding, use mod organiser. it's great as it saves you from having to reinstall the game when something goes wrong and you have no idea what.

if you are advance noob in modding, or don't like mod managers, just copy paste mods. but you gotta read EVERYTHING before installing mods and be careful what you overwrite.

did i do a good job explaining?

also if you wait for a while, nexus group will release vortex mod manager or nmm 2.0. it's got the guy who made mod organiser as a guy who's working on it. it'll be better than nmm but a bit less better than mod organiser.

Yes, you did a great job explaining.  My problem is that although I enjoy the "click/dl/play" approach of the managers, my system refuses to allow them to work.

So, while I don't want to not be the noobest of noobs, I am in the position where I am a forced advanced modder.  

I think I have to do more research online or find someone else's exploded view to figre out what I am doing wrong or 'fudge' it and try to trick the programs enough to work the once and then overwrite whatever they need to function correctly from then on.  

7 hours ago, bm2x said:

Yes, you did a great job explaining.  My problem is that although I enjoy the "click/dl/play" approach of the managers, my system refuses to allow them to work.

So, while I don't want to not be the noobest of noobs, I am in the position where I am a forced advanced modder.  

I think I have to do more research online or find someone else's exploded view to figre out what I am doing wrong or 'fudge' it and try to trick the programs enough to work the once and then overwrite whatever they need to function correctly from then on.  

ummm. run mod organiser in admin mode? worked for me. and for mod organiser to download from nexus, you gotta setup the settings. i suggest gopher's videos on mod organiser. i learned a lot from it

Archived