What's on your mind?

13 hours ago, branmakmuffin said:

I'd have to have been wrong once before I can  be  wrong again.

Your first wrong was taking Oliver's comment seriously.

You are the one being defensive because you cannot accept that your OP was nonsense and so now you are just coming out with more nonsense in an effort to avoid being seen as wrong about the Oliver comment.

We do not have to assume anything as we know for a fact that Oliver's show is satirical.

On 2/23/2024 at 11:45 AM, branmakmuffin said:

but what am I?

An immature person who couldn't admit to a mistake after taking a comedy piece for reality?

An American?

I've no idea what this "time-honored rhetorical technique used on playgrounds the world over" thing is.

You know that I am what - defensive? I'm attacking your position, you are the one trying to defend. I'm almost tempted to say that you are using the time-honoured rhetorical technique of projection.

Edited by Grey Cloud

i live in life, i dont have have any real relatives, im a nurse. at moment i live my life, but i will get that letter of obligatory military service, once it feels good but other hand it dont. i do wish i made more out of my life,game is not everything. dont do my mistake.

Edited by theru

I don’t want a lot in life. I just want to work a decent enough job so I can afford to live comfortably, have a couple dogs, and run an Onlyfans page where I fuck hot MILFs as a side gig. That’d be nice.

> An unofficial questionnaire asked 10 men and 10 women if they could choose, who they wanted to die first, them or the other side. All 10 women said they wanted their men to die first and all 10 men said they would die first and let their women live.  I am ashamed of being a woman now, but I assure you, I would give my life for my Prince and wish him to live forever.

Why do so many people who play table top RPGs not want to role play? They want to 1) engage in combat; 2) collect fuckin' crap to list on their character sheet; 3) create a lengthy, convoluted backstory that the game master will never be able to work into the plot; or 4) work puzzles.

There's old school and there's old school.

Lieutenant-General Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart,[1] VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO (/də ˈwaɪ.ərt/;[2] 5 May 1880 – 5 June 1963) was a British Army officer. He was awarded the Victoria Cross, the highest military decoration awarded for valour "in the face of the enemy" in various Commonwealth countries.[3] He served in the Boer War, First World War, and Second World War. He was shot in the face, head, stomach, ankle, leg, hip, and ear; was blinded in his left eye; survived two plane crashes; tunnelled out of a prisoner-of-war camp; and tore off his own fingers when a doctor declined to amputate them. Describing his experiences in the First World War, he wrote, "Frankly, I had enjoyed the war."[4]

After returning home from service (including a period as a prisoner-of-war) in the Second World War, he was sent to China as Winston Churchill's personal representative. While en route he attended the Cairo Conference.

In his memoirs, Carton de Wiart wrote, "Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose."[5] Carton de Wiart was thought to be a model for the character of Brigadier Ben Ritchie-Hook in Evelyn Waugh's trilogy Sword of Honour.[6] The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography described him thus: "With his black eyepatch and empty sleeve, Carton de Wiart looked like an elegant pirate, and became a figure of legend."[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Carton_de_Wiart

In 1908, he married Countess Friederike Maria Karoline Henriette Rosa Sabina Franziska Fugger von Babenhausen (1887 Klagenfurt – 1949 Vienna), the eldest daughter of Karl, 5th Fürst (Prince) von Fugger-Babenhausen and Princess Eleonora zu Hohenlohe-Bartenstein und Jagstberg of Klagenfurt, Austria.

In those days they didn't mess about when it came to names.

My claim to fame is that the father of a friend of mine served with De Wiart in Poland and the outset of WW2.

4 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

There's old school and there's old school.

Lieutenant-General Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart,[1] VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO (/də ˈwaɪ.ərt/;[2] 5 May 1880 – 5 June 1963) was a British Army officer. He was awarded the Victoria Cross, the highest military decoration awarded for valour "in the face of the enemy" in various Commonwealth countries.[3] He served in the Boer War, First World War, and Second World War. He was shot in the face, head, stomach, ankle, leg, hip, and ear; was blinded in his left eye; survived two plane crashes; tunnelled out of a prisoner-of-war camp; and tore off his own fingers when a doctor declined to amputate them. Describing his experiences in the First World War, he wrote, "Frankly, I had enjoyed the war."[4]

After returning home from service (including a period as a prisoner-of-war) in the Second World War, he was sent to China as Winston Churchill's personal representative. While en route he attended the Cairo Conference.

In his memoirs, Carton de Wiart wrote, "Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose."[5] Carton de Wiart was thought to be a model for the character of Brigadier Ben Ritchie-Hook in Evelyn Waugh's trilogy Sword of Honour.[6] The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography described him thus: "With his black eyepatch and empty sleeve, Carton de Wiart looked like an elegant pirate, and became a figure of legend."[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Carton_de_Wiart

In 1908, he married Countess Friederike Maria Karoline Henriette Rosa Sabina Franziska Fugger von Babenhausen (1887 Klagenfurt – 1949 Vienna), the eldest daughter of Karl, 5th Fürst (Prince) von Fugger-Babenhausen and Princess Eleonora zu Hohenlohe-Bartenstein und Jagstberg of Klagenfurt, Austria.

In those days they didn't mess about when it came to names.

My claim to fame is that the father of a friend of mine served with De Wiart in Poland and the outset of WW2.

perfectway to distrakt whats going on.

10 hours ago, branmakmuffin said:

Why do so many people who play table top RPGs not want to role play? They want to 1) engage in combat; 2) collect fuckin' crap to list on their character sheet; 3) create a lengthy, convoluted backstory that the game master will never be able to work into the plot; or 4) work puzzles.

1 and 4 sounds like like people are focused on the gaming aspect of Role Playing Games. 3 sounds like they need to summarize their story. 2 are you saying people actually collect crap in the game hoping to create something useful or vendor it off to an NPC?

I watched this interesting video on the subject after you said something:

I'm sure there are some more in depth videos explaining things but whatever.

1 minute ago, Darkpig said:

1 and 4 sounds like like people are focused on the gaming aspect of Role Playing Games. 3 sounds like they need to summarize their story. 2 are you saying people actually collect crap in the game hoping to create something useful or vendor it off to an NPC?

I watched this interesting video on the subject after you said something:

I'm sure there are some more in depth videos explaining things but whatever.

entire idea of game is extra reality no use one, we likely pick a character to who weh are close to or who we want to be ,, game personality a fill a a part of socilites pyramid network. so yapp.im just flatting it out there., gpt must ring a bell

1 hour ago, Darkpig said:

Regarding my #2, there are players, and we just uninvited two of them from my group, who simply want to have stuff recorded on their character sheet, but they never do anything with it in game. One player always wanted to have some kind of wagon that his character hauled stuff around in, for example, but he never used it to start a role playing scene or to enhance an existing scene. It was just "there." Eventually, I got tired of giving him RP hooks because he never took advantage of them.

Players who do this, and the "lore and backstory builders," have all this shit going on in their heads. They're free to enjoy their style of RP gaming, but it's not my style and I don't remotely understand their thinking. RPing is a social activity and what they enjoy is focused solely on them and their characters. This is also related to players who want their character to have a secret that only they and the game master (and I don't mean an NPC or two, I mean just the game master) know. Like, what's the fuckin' point of a player's character having something no other character, player or non-player, knows? If they plan to reveal it at some point, fine, but I've played with players who never want to reveal their character's secret.

I've also had players who tell me "Oh, this is true of my character and has been for years, so  you need to take that into account right now, because it will affect the scene." To which I reply "I'm the GM. If I don't know about it, it can't be true in the world, beyond your own head canon."

EDIT: I didn't watch the vid, but I did see the title, "Power Gaming, Good or Bad?" Power gaming is neither good nor bad. I have played with power gamers I enjoy playing with because they also role played. In my experience, as a general rule, power gaming and role playing do not usually go together, but they are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by branmakmuffin
On 2/25/2024 at 6:38 AM, Evaloves4 said:

> An unofficial questionnaire asked 10 men and 10 women if they could choose, who they wanted to die first, them or the other side. All 10 women said they wanted their men to die first and all 10 men said they would die first and let their women live.  I am ashamed of being a woman now, but I assure you, I would give my life for my Prince and wish him to live forever.

To live forever is a curse at best and a living hell at worse as the others around you die.   However, I think you meant that you feel the women are being selfish.   A different perspective is that the women in the survey believe they are better position to deal with the pain of losing a life partner and wish to save their partner that grief.    The men in that survey may be thinking in terms of sacrifice.   So, in the perspective I offer, both sides think they are acting in the best interest of their partner and not their own, therefore being unselfish.

Spoiler

On 2/25/2024 at 5:11 PM, branmakmuffin said:

Regarding my #2, there are players, and we just uninvited two of them from my group, who simply want to have stuff recorded on their character sheet, but they never do anything with it in game. One player always wanted to have some kind of wagon that his character hauled stuff around in, for example, but he never used it to start a role playing scene or to enhance an existing scene. It was just "there." Eventually, I got tired of giving him RP hooks because he never took advantage of them.

Players who do this, and the "lore and backstory builders," have all this shit going on in their heads. They're free to enjoy their style of RP gaming, but it's not my style and I don't remotely understand their thinking. RPing is a social activity and what they enjoy is focused solely on them and their characters. This is also related to players who want their character to have a secret that only they and the game master (and I don't mean an NPC or two, I mean just the game master) know. Like, what's the fuckin' point of a player's character having something no other character, player or non-player, knows? If they plan to reveal it at some point, fine, but I've played with players who never want to reveal their character's secret.

I've also had players who tell me "Oh, this is true of my character and has been for years, so  you need to take that into account right now, because it will affect the scene." To which I reply "I'm the GM. If I don't know about it, it can't be true in the world, beyond your own head canon."

Sounds like inventory management. Inventory is always a complex topic as you never know what you will need and when. Maybe your players will learn what is useful and what isn't or maybe not. I wouldn't blame you if you want to set some ground rules to save your sanity.

As for secrets I agree that if your game master doesn't know there is no point. It would be like pulling power ups out of your ass. If the game master does know about it that game master should talk with the player and tell them that if they don't reveal it something else in the campaign might. It could an investigator or some psychic mind fuckery or something else entirely. It could be amusing to see the character try to cover up some deep secret like murder as the authorities are out investigating. If they don't like that fact then fuck em!

I've played a few sessions and I kept my backstory simple because the adventure is the story. That is my style of gaming but I can't say it is that way for everyone.

On 2/25/2024 at 5:11 PM, branmakmuffin said:

EDIT: I didn't watch the vid, but I did see the title, "Power Gaming, Good or Bad?" Power gaming is neither good nor bad. I have played with power gamers I enjoy playing with because they also role played. In my experience, as a general rule, power gaming and role playing do not usually go together, but they are not mutually exclusive.

That is essentially what the video said. I guess my brain immediately shot to Power Gaming as an excuse to talk with your fists or something along those lines. It is a silly notion although I have heard of role players doing anti-social characters well. What matters is if players are having fun.

3 hours ago, Darkpig said:

What matters is if players are having fun.

Exactly. If people play a TTRPG differently from the way I like and I am not in the game, it doesn't affect me. If it's my game, I'll say "Are you sure this is the game for you?" (and I said that exact thing to a player recently. If it's someone else's game, I'll just say it's not for me and leave.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Colour me impressed. I'm just in the process of building Skyrim SE and have had my first shag (scientific purposes to check the animations and whatnot).

ScreenShot0.thumb.png.c789bd1389bf7ac580cab84eb21ba7fd.png

HIMBO body.

The New Gentleman schlong

Pandora Behaviour Engine.

CBBE/3BA for the ladies.

Next stop - stocking up on Skooma. 😀

On 2/25/2024 at 7:04 AM, branmakmuffin said:

A few possibilities but from what I've inferred through games...

They could simply know not the potential or/nor the allure of telling a story proper that a TTRPG enables when played together with friends (Preferably.)

It's good to note that many were attracted to TTRPGs; such as D&D and Cyberpunk 2020/RED, for examples; because of games like Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk 2077, which are two games with combat at their core. Combat presented in a generally satisfying manner for computer/console players, I might add.

Naturally it's their own knowledge how best they like their time spent, but I myself find it rather saddening that such players too often misunderstand, avoid the possiblities or outright expect it to play like video games. Missing the likely fun they might discover to suit them in favour of their comfort zone of imported computer game gimmicks and habits, when, whilst playing TTRPGs, you should be enough at ease to experiment. (Though granted that's easier done with friends.)

A common misunderstanding is that D&D (for the purpose of this example) is nearly purely combat based simply because its mechanics are more tailored towards that respect, but that is true mostly whilst completely barring the possibility of homebrews enabling better stories as well as the act of roleplaying.

From this misunderstanding also stems many iterations of that player, such as those who use "It's what my character would do" to ruin the table's overall fun for their own amusement. In a lot of cases, at least those I encountered, they simply didn't understand how to roleplay, it was never properly introduced or explained to them. (Then again, that's not to say many more simply do it for the sake of trolling.)

We play very very narrative driven and tend to use logic where it makes things more fun, like, every bits and bobs, all odds and ends tend to find use since we like using everything we find at some point or other. I made ink with soot, wine and blood the other day.

For managing hoards, well, we've done a few things in the past, like make it based on squares on a squared sheet, there's videos about the method on YT, ZeeBaschew was the creator my DM had the idea from at some point, if I'm not mistaken. Makes it more visually pleasing and less intimidating. More intelligible.

Edited by Idyll