What's on your mind?

It is said the greatest revenge is living your best life. That is why I for one support the zoomers and any generations that comes after. Suck it boomers! Oh who am I kidding? Boomers get a hug too. But real talk. Children are the future of humanity and no, racism and bullying is not helping anyone. Children and elders need to be protected more than anyone as the latter can't fight for shit and former don't know how to fight for shit. That isn't to say people should toughen up as humans have no natural predators or rather nothing outside of the occasional bear and shark attack. Speaking of sharks people have started treating sharks like a victim rather than a threat. Strange that a predator of the sea gets so much love. Not one to judge though. Point is that humans are perfectly able to defend themselves without subjecting them to trauma. In a way it makes me sad that there is no participation trophy for being an asshat as I love looking down on humanity but the world isn't perfect. Oh well.

7 hours ago, Darkpig said:

It is said the greatest revenge is living your best life. That is why I for one support the zoomers and any generations that comes after. Suck it boomers! Oh who am I kidding? Boomers get a hug too. But real talk. Children are the future of humanity and no, racism and bullying is not helping anyone. Children and elders need to be protected more than anyone as the latter can't fight for shit and former don't know how to fight for shit. That isn't to say people should toughen up as humans have no natural predators or rather nothing outside of the occasional bear and shark attack. Speaking of sharks people have started treating sharks like a victim rather than a threat. Strange that a predator of the sea gets so much love. Not one to judge though. Point is that humans are perfectly able to defend themselves without subjecting them to trauma. In a way it makes me sad that there is no participation trophy for being an asshat as I love looking down on humanity but the world isn't perfect. Oh well.

> It seems to me that humanity went crazy in every sense, especially toward nature and animals. You wouldn't believe what completely stupid and nonsense laws we have in our country regarding animals. You might even be suited if you cause them stress and so on and so on.

14 hours ago, Evaloves4 said:

> It seems to me that humanity went crazy in every sense, especially toward nature and animals. You wouldn't believe what completely stupid and nonsense laws we have in our country regarding animals. You might even be suited if you cause them stress and so on and so on.

Sounds stupid... Can I file a lawsuit if I'm stressed? Oh! Lawyers get paid first never mind.

13 hours ago, Evaloves4 said:

> Apologizing, admitting mistakes, and asking forgiveness aren't the signs of weak characterless people, but are signs of a great, mature, and respectful people. that's what we are teaching our children by words and our own example.

So true. Those who cannot accept and grow from their mistakes are weak. Just like you shouldn't build your house on sandy land, don't build your personality on bullshit.

23 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Children are the future of humanity

no, humanity is already extinct, the children have been sterilized and shall serve as slaves until they die/kill themselves/are culled by "Medical Assistance in Dying" (formally called "Aktion T4")

36 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

no, humanity is already extinct, the children have been sterilized and shall serve as slaves until they die/kill themselves/are culled by "Medical Assistance in Dying" (formally called "Aktion T4")

*Looks up Aktion T4*

Gonna need a better plan. Hitler just so happened to be the "right" man at the "right" time when a weakened Germany needed a promise for a stronger nation. Lo and behold Hitler just fucked up the country even more. Good going discount Charlie Chaplin.

Anyway I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my days being cared for by a sex robot❤️

2 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Sounds stupid... Can I file a lawsuit if I'm stressed? Oh! Lawyers get paid first never mind.

> Let me explain. Let's say you have a dog that did something that made you angry and you yell at it. Your neighbor came to visit you and your dog doesn't run to him wagging his tail as usual. So, your neighbor concluded your dog is under stress and he reported you to the police. They come and see your dog stressed, they press the charge against you for molesting your dog.

On 2/20/2024 at 1:38 AM, Darkpig said:

The definitions of racism and bullying are different, and there lies in part of the issue.   The difference goes beyond any generational boundary but is now almost taken as an individual definition ("well that person said that there is more crime in country x...that is RACISM!") leading to a dilution of the issue.    People have been calling others "Nazis" yet have no comprehension of the sheer magnitude of what happened, or, if they do, they don't care.  

Humans do have a natural predator, other humans.   Far too often the cycle repeats and that video illustrates it by having the premise that "the generation that I like is better than all the rest of you and whatever argument you are making isn't important" . I would say that us Gen Xers are the exception because we have always been slackers, but.....then I am guilty of doing the same thing.   Anyway, one big difference is the ability to connect with like minded individuals.     In spite of our geographical distances, most of us here at LL hare of a similar mindset, just with a few leaning one way and others leaning the opposite way.   We have been able to find each other, to validate our view points and to operate in a somewhat civil manner.   That ability has a multiplying effect and can lead to rapid change. 

Anyway, i am one of the old ones who finds wisdom in "Hard times makes hard men, hard men make good times, good times makes soft men, soft men make hard times."  

1 hour ago, steelpanther24 said:

Anyway, i am one of the old ones who finds wisdom in "Hard times makes hard men, hard men make good times, good times makes soft men, soft men make hard times."  

Are those hard men in a bed together having good times? What about soft men? Is it possible for soft men to get hard at times?

Goethe's Ode To Joy.

Ode to Joy

Joy, thou shining spark of God,
Daughter of Elysium,
With fiery rapture, goddess,
We approach thy shrine!
Your magic reunites those
Whom stern custom has parted;*
All men will become brothers*
Under your protective wing.

Let the man who has had the fortune
To be a helper to his friend,
And the man who has won a noble woman,
Join in our chorus of jubilation!
Yes, even if he holds but one soul
As his own in all the world!
But let the man who knows nothing of this
Steal away alone and in sorrow.

All the world's creatures draw
Draughts of joy from nature;
Both the just and the unjust
Follow in her gentle footsteps.
She gave us kisses and wine
And a friend loyal unto death;
She gave the joy of life to the lowliest,
And to the angels who dwell with God.

Joyous, as His suns speed
Through the glorious order of Heaven,
Hasten, brothers, on your way
Exultant as a knight victorious.

Be embraced, all ye millions!
With a kiss for all the world!
Brothers, beyond the stars
Surely dwells a loving Father.
Do you kneel before Him, oh millions?
Do you feel the Creator's presence?
Seek Him beyond the stars!
He must dwell beyond the stars.

And for those of a German persuasion:

An die Freude

Freude, schöner Götterfunken,
Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken,
Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder
Was die Mode streng geteilt;*
Alle Menschen werden Brüder*
Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Wem der große Wurf gelungen
Eines Freundes Freund zu sein;
Wer ein holdes Weib errungen
Mische seinen Jubel ein!
Ja, wer auch nur eine Seele
Sein nennt auf dem Erdenrund!
Und wer's nie gekonnt, der stehle
Weinend sich aus diesem Bund!

Freude trinken alle Wesen
An den Brüsten der Natur;
Alle Guten, alle Bösen
Folgen ihrer Rosenspur.
Küsse gab sie uns und Reben,
Einen Freund, geprüft im Tod;
Wollust ward dem Wurm gegeben
und der Cherub steht vor Gott.

Froh, wie seine Sonnen fliegen
Durch des Himmels prächt'gen Plan
Laufet, Brüder, eure Bahn,
Freudig, wie ein Held zum Siegen.

Seid umschlungen, Millionen!
Diesen Kuß der ganzen Welt!
Brüder, über'm Sternenzelt
Muß ein lieber Vater wohnen.
Ihr stürzt nieder, Millionen?
Ahnest du den Schöpfer, Welt?
Such' ihn über'm Sternenzelt!
Über Sternen muß er wohnen!

4 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

It was a joke, humour. You remember humour, don't you?

I do, but after  your comment, I have my doubts about you.

But, ya know, I bet if Thomas agreed, Oliver would pay up.

Edited by branmakmuffin
1 hour ago, branmakmuffin said:

I do, but after  your comment, I have my doubts about you.

But, ya know, I bet if Thomas agreed, Oliver would pay up.

John Oliver's show is political satire.

Satire:

"Satire is a way of criticizing people or ideas in a humorous way, especially in order to make a political point. "

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/satire

I would bet that bribing a government employee is illegal so I doubt that Oliver would consider it.

"You remember humour, don't you?" comes from Fawlty Towers if I'm not mistaken (Basil to Sybil).

1 hour ago, branmakmuffin said:

I assume he lost it by dying.

If you had read the article you would know that you were wrong again.

Edited by Grey Cloud
40 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

John Oliver's show is political satire.

Satire:

"Satire is a way of criticizing people or ideas in a humorous way, especially in order to make a political point. "

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/satire

I would bet that bribing a government employee is illegal so I doubt that Oliver would consider it.

"You remember humour, don't you?" comes from Fawlty Towers if I'm not mistaken (Basil to Sybil).

If you had read the article you would know that you were wrong again.

I'd have to have been wrong once before I can  be  wrong again.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument (you remember arguments, don't you? they covered them in Monty Python's Flying Circus) that Oliver is at least partly serious. He is asking Thomas to do something legal in exchange for Oliver doing something legal. It's not a bribe being offered, it's an offer to enter into a contract. You remember contracts, don't you?

Are you always this hostile and defensive, or is today your special day for that?