[FO4 CK] General Help Thread

Hey guys, please let me know if this is not the place to ask this question.

I'm new to Fallout 4 lewd modding, but I've done skyrim and sims 4 in the past.

My question is, for fallout 4 what can I use as a mod loader that will work with nexus mods and loverslab mods?

I have been looking for similar threads and they all recommend nmm but it seems that is no longer available and only vortex is.

2 minutes ago, neversoft333 said:

Hey guys, please let me know if this is not the place to ask this question.

This is a help thread for the Creation Kit (hence the [FO4 CK] in the title). You should probably create a new topic about mod managers if you can't find one.

2 minutes ago, neversoft333 said:

My question is, for fallout 4 what can I use as a mod loader that will work with nexus mods and loverslab mods?

I have been looking for similar threads and they all recommend nmm but it seems that is no longer available and only vortex is.

I use Vortex and have for several years, MO2 is also very popular.

NMM is generally discouraged as it doesn't give you control of file overwrite order except by the order in which you initially install mods, which quickly becomes a pain if you want to upgrade one of them. I've also heard it lacks support for FOMOD installer menus, which many mods make use of these days (and quite a few will be nonfunctional because of that, unless you reverse-engineer the FOMOD config and mimic the same operations manually).

There are also people who swear by installing all the files for every mod by hand, but that's really, really, REALLY not recommended unless you know what you're doing, certainly don't expect to find anyone willing to help you in that scenario.

I am editing (in the esp via FO4Edit) the text of what an NPC says in game via captioning, adding / changing / subtracting 2 or 3 words.  This dialogue is not "voiced" but rather is silent, and it has an associated "fuz" file.  Do I need to regenerate that fuz file based on the changes I make to the dialogue?  Or is it safe to just leave the fuz file alone and not worry about it?

37 minutes ago, Marg597 said:

I am editing (in the esp via FO4Edit) the text of what an NPC says in game via captioning, adding / changing / subtracting 2 or 3 words.  This dialogue is not "voiced" but rather is silent, and it has an associated "fuz" file.  Do I need to regenerate that fuz file based on the changes I make to the dialogue?  Or is it safe to just leave the fuz file alone and not worry about it?

You can leave .fuz files alone. When you run into issues is if you make a very short response very long, it won't stay on screen long enough for the player to read it.

Edited by izzyknows
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is there a way to change the activation text for an activator without swapping it with an entirely different activator?

Right now my plan is to have several activators over a static being enabled and disabled when they are required, but it makes it a little difficult to manage in the render window.

I was wondering if there was an easier way to accomplish this.

7 hours ago, GeckoRobot said:

Is there a way to change the activation text for an activator without swapping it with an entirely different activator?

Right now my plan is to have several activators over a static being enabled and disabled when they are required, but it makes it a little difficult to manage in the render window.

I was wondering if there was an easier way to accomplish this.

I've decided to use quest stage conditions in the activator instead of enabling and disabling them, seems a little bit more manageable.

I keep on getting CTD when I press the ESC key. 

also the game will randomly CTD when I go into a computer or look at pipboy.

It was running fine before (last month). I stopped playing for a bit and upgraded human resources/fusion girl and now it's crashing? it can't be those right?

5 hours ago, LueRV said:

I keep on getting CTD when I press the ESC key. 

also the game will randomly CTD when I go into a computer or look at pipboy.

It was running fine before (last month). I stopped playing for a bit and upgraded human resources/fusion girl and now it's crashing? it can't be those right?

This topic is for help using the Creation Kit

It sounds like you're having trouble playing modded Fallout 4? If so, you may want to try starting a new thread or finding the support thread for mods you suspect to be the cause, but in my experience if you're getting random complete crashes of the game engine you're best off first setting up Buffout 4, making sure it's loading without error, and then if the crashes persist (which they might not if they're for bugs already addressed by Buffout 4) you'll at least have a detailed crash log to look through for some ideas on what might be causing it.

59 minutes ago, LueRV said:

I figured it out. Wasn’t any of the mods. It was the TBB for buffout4. I installed it using vortex but you need to manually extract it and put it in the main folder that has fallout4.exe

For the record, that wouldn't have caused crashes, but it would have prevented Buffout 4 from loading, which means it wouldn't have been able to fix a number of potential causes of crashes you were experiencing.

hello. i want to create package AI to actors wich were generated as leveled actors, to order them fleeing out of player to specific distance and then disappear. but i've found no any acceptable command for it. any suggestions? problem is that this package might be applied in any location, so no target markers can be placed.

my best idea is scanning for nearby door marker and send actor to there and then disable it. but maybe there is better way?

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this is a totally n00b Q, I've finally just fired up the CK for the first time recently... I'm trying to set up an idle marker to make a human female NPC stand around with hands bound behind the back. There seems to be some vanilla pose for it because applying the DefaultCaptiveActor script will put her into it, but I don't want the captive freeing activator which goes along with it. Is there a way to just make an NPC idle with bound hands in a standing position without adding a custom script? I see I can set the FlavorAnim on a custom idle marker to AnimFlavorHandsBound but that doesn't seem to actually do anything, she stands at the marker if assigned to it, but not bound, and I've run out of good web search keywords at this point.

2 hours ago, xXDeliteXx said:

need help getting multiple plugins to to save under a mod as 'enabled masters'
Everytime I save, it only has Fallout.ESM as parent file despite loading with multiple mods

From what I understand, the CK is incapable of adding more than one non-Bethesda master to a plugin. It seems most authors who need it use FO4Edit to add the other masters, and then load the plugin up in the CK again afterward and continue to develop it as needed.

3 hours ago, vaultbait said:

From what I understand, the CK is incapable of adding more than one non-Bethesda master to a plugin. It seems most authors who need it use FO4Edit to add the other masters, and then load the plugin up in the CK again afterward and continue to develop it as needed.

Creation Kit Fixes solves, fixes and speeds up a LOT of the CK flaws.

I've made mods that have up to 14 dependencies. :P

13 hours ago, vaultbait said:

Apologies if this is a totally n00b Q, I've finally just fired up the CK for the first time recently... I'm trying to set up an idle marker to make a human female NPC stand around with hands bound behind the back. There seems to be some vanilla pose for it because applying the DefaultCaptiveActor script will put her into it, but I don't want the captive freeing activator which goes along with it. Is there a way to just make an NPC idle with bound hands in a standing position without adding a custom script? I see I can set the FlavorAnim on a custom idle marker to AnimFlavorHandsBound but that doesn't seem to actually do anything, she stands at the marker if assigned to it, but not bound, and I've run out of good web search keywords at this point.

Put the idle marker (it's called NPCKneelSit) wherever you like. For example in cell "SanctuaryExt01". Edit: NPCKneelSit is not the one you want. But you should find it in WorldObject/Furniture, in CK.

Create a new Package, and in template choose "Travel and Sit".

You will see that you will have several options, but the important one is "Sit Target". There you can search for and point to the NPCKeelSit that you put in SanctuaryExt01.

You name the package something easy to find for when you want to edit it again. "_TestPackage" "_KneelPackage_Sanctuary".

Put the package on the actor you want and you're done.

1578559090_Capturadepantalla2022-03-1206_24_16.png.496e436c7440b06ef0fc6b773a46978c.png

Edited by JB.
4 hours ago, JB. said:

Put the idle marker (it's called NPCKneelSit) wherever you like. For example in cell "SanctuaryExt01". Edit: NPCKneelSit is not the one you want. But you should find it in WorldObject/Furniture, in CK.

Create a new Package, and in template choose "Travel and Sit".

You will see that you will have several options, but the important one is "Sit Target". There you can search for and point to the NPCKeelSit that you put in SanctuaryExt01.

You name the package something easy to find for when you want to edit it again. "_TestPackage" "_KneelPackage_Sanctuary".

Put the package on the actor you want and you're done.

I've done that elsewhere and it works for kneeling position with bound hands, but I'm looking for a way to make an idle marker where the NPC stands with hands bound behind the back. It happens if you apply the DefaultCaptiveActor script to them, but unfortunately that also adds the prompts to free or ignore them on activation.

9 hours ago, izzyknows said:

Creation Kit Fixes solves, fixes and speeds up a LOT of the CK flaws.

I've made mods that have up to 14 dependencies. :P

I saw that and was curious about it, but hadn't tried it yet since there seemed to be people running into conflicts trying to use both it and Buffout 4 in the same systems.

14 hours ago, vaultbait said:

Finally got it. Thanks so much!

5 hours ago, vaultbait said:

I saw that and was curious about it, but hadn't tried it yet since there seemed to be people running into conflicts trying to use both it and Buffout 4 in the same systems.

Get the TBB Redistributables

It'll fix the Buffout issue.

49 minutes ago, izzyknows said:

Get the TBB Redistributables

It'll fix the Buffout issue.

Well, I mean, I have that installed already, because Buffout 4 requires it. Unless I was misunderstanding the discussion, it appeared Buffout 4 and CK Fixes required different versions of TBB Redistributables. Anyway, I'll give it a shot. Hopefully it fixes the cursor drift problem, which has really been the most annoying bug for me in FO4CK. I end up wiggling an edge of the render window every minute or two so that he cursor will correctly line up with things in the cell.

• 2 weeks later...

Another n00b question... is there a good way to prevent placed notes and perk mags from falling through table tops or other furniture/objects? I've noticed other mod authors struggle with this problem too, so I'm guessing the answer is no, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Web searches haven't turned up much in the way of solutions, just explanations for repurposing static objects and changing their mesh, or using scripts to turn off physics for a particular item on load. Static collections don't actually seem to do what I was hoping in this regard either...