[FO4 CK] General Help Thread

58 minutes ago, vaultbait said:

Another n00b question... is there a good way to prevent placed notes and perk mags from falling through table tops or other furniture/objects? I've noticed other mod authors struggle with this problem too, so I'm guessing the answer is no, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Web searches haven't turned up much in the way of solutions, just explanations for repurposing static objects and changing their mesh, or using scripts to turn off physics for a particular item on load. Static collections don't actually seem to do what I was hoping in this regard either...

The main way is just good placement (and testing) with understanding that the visual models don't always perfectly align with the collision spaces. You can get a view of a forms collisions by pressing f4 in that forms preview/render window.

The CK let's you simulate havok collisions in any space you're building or editing. It's useful despite not always being particularly honest (it's usually pretty good).

Untitled.png.a2ce9b79063423dc24177c0a097e7dfc.png

You dismissed this but it is a viable option (bethesda use it). If a non static object must always remain in a specific spot come what may, you can use the Bethesda bulletproof method (?) and attach the defaultdisablehavokonload built in script to that object.

If you're comfortable with scripting yourself and want to do something less usual, play around with the ApplyHavokImpulse, SetMotionType and MoveToMyEditorLocation functions until you're happy.

1 hour ago, Carabosse said:

The main way is just good placement (and testing) with understanding that the visual models don't always perfectly align with the collision spaces. You can get a view of a forms collisions by pressing f4 in that forms preview/render window.

The CK let's you simulate havok collisions in any space you're building or editing. It's useful despite not always being particularly honest (it's usually pretty good).

That's basically where I'd gotten to so far. I thought maybe placing things slightly above the surface might mitigate it, but results have been inconclusive so far.

You dismissed this but it is a viable option (bethesda use it). If a non static object must always remain in a specific spot come what may, you can use the Bethesda bulletproof method (?) and attach the defaultdisablehavokonload built in script to that object.

Oh, okay I didn't realize there was a script in the base set I could just apply for that. Thanks for pointing it out! There's been other things I've come across so far that I'm reasonably certain I'm going to need to write some scripts for, like setting flavoranim on NPCs or auto-closing doors, but wherever I can use an existing script instead I'm good with that.

If you're comfortable with scripting yourself and want to do something less usual, play around with the ApplyHavokImpulse, SetMotionType and MoveToMyEditorLocation functions until you're happy.

I've been putting off playing around with custom scripting until I'm happy with other aspects of what I'm building, but will definitely keep that in mind as an option once I reach that point in development. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know of a way to auto-apply a potion (in this case, a food item) on triggering an activator, using only existing vanilla game scripts? I'm essentially trying to make a food dispenser which will satisfy hunger in survival/AN76 when interacted with.

The best I've managed to come up with so far is to use defaultAddItemOnActivate (what gives a bottle cap any time you drink a Nuka-Cola) to put a specific food item into the player's inventory, but I'd like for it to just be auto-consumed, ideally without going into inventory first. Also, that seems to only be able to be activated once, where I'd like it to be unlimited use.

What water fountains use (drinkFromFountainScript) comes close, but accomplishes its task by firing a spell (WaterFountainCleanDrinking) for a thirst-quenching effect (HC_DrinkWaterEffect) calling a specific script (Hardcore:HC_DrinkWaterEffectScript) which doesn't seem to have a hunger-related counterpart that I can find. If there's something to call PlayerRef.EquipItem() with an arbitrary potion instead of being hard-coded to use HC_SippableWater, that could solve it for me.

I expect I'm going to have to resort to a custom script here, but figure if someone knows of a way to accomplish this with only vanilla assets then that would be preferable.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing a weird inconsistency with placed unique NPCs in a new custom interior cell. If I start up the game and load a save from before ever visiting the cell, then coc to it, the NPCs are there; this much always works. If I reload from the save and coc to the cell without first exiting to the desktop and starting the game up again, some of the NPCs will be missing. Even exiting to the main menu before loading isn't sufficient, only exiting to desktop and restarting will get the missing NPCs to reappear.

Is this probably something I've done wrong with the NPC records I created? A toggle I've missed or set incorrectly? In the CK I set them to Unique and Protected, though I didn't set Respawn as I don't want them returning from the grave should the player decide to kill them off.

1 hour ago, vaultbait said:

I'm seeing a weird inconsistency with placed unique NPCs in a new custom interior cell. If I start up the game and load a save from before ever visiting the cell, then coc to it, the NPCs are there; this much always works. If I reload from the save and coc to the cell without first exiting to the desktop and starting the game up again, some of the NPCs will be missing. Even exiting to the main menu before loading isn't sufficient, only exiting to desktop and restarting will get the missing NPCs to reappear.

Is this probably something I've done wrong with the NPC records I created? A toggle I've missed or set incorrectly? In the CK I set them to Unique and Protected, though I didn't set Respawn as I don't want them returning from the grave should the player decide to kill them off.

Check if the npc doesn't have a package that forces him to be somewhere else.

Or put a simple package for them to sandbox in your cell with whatever conditions you want (or no conditions at all).

42 minutes ago, JB. said:

Check if the npc doesn't have a package that forces him to be somewhere else.

Or put a simple package for them to sandbox in your cell with whatever conditions you want (or no conditions at all).

Thanks! I do put basic sandbox packages on all of them. The ones which disappear after the first load come up as invalid references if I try to moveto them or vice versa, setav something on them, etc., so it's like the game has simply decided they don't exist?

So I'm having this ridiculous issue with Creation Kit, where whenever I update a script (psc) file, compile it, and try to update the script properties, I get the error"errors encountered while attempting to reload the script". After that error, I am unable to open properties window at all on that script. This is on my own mod (for which I have the original source). This basically prevents me from adding new properties to the file. Any ideas why CK might be doing this all of a sudden?

I'm guessing the answer is "no dice" but I have a fairly complex interior cell which is navmeshed, and in a total ditz move I've only just now realized that the relative positions of my exits don't match up with the locations of the entrances in the worldspace, they're off by roughly 90 degrees. I seem to be able to rotate all the contents of the cell into the intended orientation, but I can't find any way to rotate the navmesh. Am I overlooking an obvious option? Or is there a way to rotate the compass orientation of the cell itself instead? Basically looking for a way to have my north exit correspond to the northern entrance in the Commonwealth, east exit correspond to the eastern entrance, and so on, without having to recreate the entire navmesh for the cell.

I just updated Fallout 4 and had to download a new creation kit.  Now the CK won't run through Mod Organizer.  It says "Application Load Error V:0000065432".  I did some searching, and I read a few things that are supposed to help, like restarting MO, restarting Steam, restarting the computer, restarting my car, and so forth, but no restarting has helped.  I also read that reinstalling is supposed to help, but I just installed it.  The CK works just fine if I run it outside MO, but that doesn't let me work with mod resources packs unless I install it straight.  That defeats the purpose of a mod organizer.  I also found one post here on LL that running it under a different steam ID (202480) fixes it.  So I tried that, and it runs, but now it just acts as if it's running outside of MO - no other mods are visible.  I need to run it and be able to use mod resource packs.

Can anyone help?

On 5/15/2022 at 8:37 PM, vaultbait said:

I'm guessing the answer is "no dice" but I have a fairly complex interior cell which is navmeshed, and in a total ditz move I've only just now realized that the relative positions of my exits don't match up with the locations of the entrances in the worldspace, they're off by roughly 90 degrees. I seem to be able to rotate all the contents of the cell into the intended orientation, but I can't find any way to rotate the navmesh. Am I overlooking an obvious option? Or is there a way to rotate the compass orientation of the cell itself instead? Basically looking for a way to have my north exit correspond to the northern entrance in the Commonwealth, east exit correspond to the eastern entrance, and so on, without having to recreate the entire navmesh for the cell.

I seem to recall there's an option to set the direction of North in an interior cell. Might be easier to change that than rotate the whole cell

9 hours ago, DocClox said:

I seem to recall there's an option to set the direction of North in an interior cell. Might be easier to change that than rotate the whole cell

Yes, if anyone can remember where that's found, I'd be elated! I searched all through the cell properties in the CK, to no avail. I should probably dig into it with FO4Edit, maybe the CK hides the controlling property for it?

Edit: Thanks for the hint! I just realized one possibility I didn't consider was that there might exist some special object I can place in the cell which indicates where North is, and after a bit of keyword searching in the CK's Object Window I found... Static:NorthMarker! A very Bethesda solution to the problem, I should have been less logical about what I was looking for. ?

Edited by vaultbait

I've created some interior cells by copying cells from the base game/DLCs in the CK, and then deleting a bunch of the existing content. When auditing the plugin with FO4Edit I've noticed a bunch of what look like unused Reference Groups. I expect I should delete them, but is there an easy way to determine for certain whether they're actually unused?

On 5/16/2022 at 9:15 AM, whippingirl2 said:

I just updated Fallout 4 and had to download a new creation kit.  Now the CK won't run through Mod Organizer.  It says "Application Load Error V:0000065432".  I did some searching, and I read a few things that are supposed to help, like restarting MO, restarting Steam, restarting the computer, restarting my car, and so forth, but no restarting has helped.  I also read that reinstalling is supposed to help, but I just installed it.  The CK works just fine if I run it outside MO, but that doesn't let me work with mod resources packs unless I install it straight.  That defeats the purpose of a mod organizer.  I also found one post here on LL that running it under a different steam ID (202480) fixes it.  So I tried that, and it runs, but now it just acts as if it's running outside of MO - no other mods are visible.  I need to run it and be able to use mod resource packs.

Can anyone help?

I just found the answer here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1946160/discussions/0/3269060419613231719/

You need to set the appID to 1946160, not 202480 like most google searches tell you.  I hope this helps someone else!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there, i was wondering if this lighting is sort of normal or if it is caused by something on my end. Under certain angles, my characters hair becomes very glossy/shiny. This apparently happens with all haircuts and has ever been that way (As far as i can think back). Its also much more visible with blonde hair and doesnt happen at in dark areas. Anything i can do to help me out?

Edit: Ah well, didnt see the CK in the title. But here we are now.

Edited by zenib-aa
  • 3 weeks later...

@izzyknows: Continuing from the off-topic discussion in the Violate support thread, I'm not having much luck figuring out how to place a unique weapon with attached OMODs into a cell. The CK doesn't seem to provide anywhere to list things to preattach to a WEAP, and the two methods I've found discussed elsewhere both seem to involve using an on-start placement quest with the CustomItemQuestScript to associate a FormList containing the desired OMODs with the weapon.

Can you provide any more detail on the simpler solution you were using?

4 hours ago, vaultbait said:

Can you provide any more detail on the simpler solution you were using?

Use xEdit and add the mods to the Object Template Default section, is what the weapon will spawn with. Actually you can remove all the other Combinations #.. IF you don't need them. Which a 1 off doesn't.

The one below has a legendary attached too.
I find it easier to use xEdit & copy as new record and then tweak it from there.

Hope that makes sense! Kinda tired atm. LOL

Spoiler

961317546_DesktopScreenshot2022_06.26-22_51_27_86.png.dec3c8c5e2ac38ec81762a63b6275f9f.png

BTW, it's stupidly OP LMAO!

Spoiler

2034937244_Fallout4Screenshot2022_06.26-23_05_50_14.png.ac1cb9450c7967ef5fcfc921bdb8938a.png

Edited by izzyknows
15 hours ago, izzyknows said:

Use xEdit and add the mods to the Object Template Default section, is what the weapon will spawn with. Actually you can remove all the other Combinations #.. IF you don't need them. Which a 1 off doesn't.

The one below has a legendary attached too.
I find it easier to use xEdit & copy as new record and then tweak it from there.

Hope that makes sense! Kinda tired atm. LOL

Oh, thanks! So it's possible to specify the default set of OMODs for a WEAP in its record, the CK just doesn't provide a mechanism to do so? Wow. I'll give it a shot, hopefully subsequently editing the plugin with the CK won't reset or blow those parameters away on me.

As for why the tutorials I found didn't seem to work, I think it's because they all demonstrated putting weapons in the worldspace with an on-start injection quest, but for interior cells the target ref won't necessarily exist at start, so you need to do it on location change to that cell instead.

Edit: Found it! In the Weapon record window, there's an Object Template button which brings up a new window to give you control over those parameters. That's rather well-hidden.

Edited by vaultbait
5 hours ago, ieieieieieie said:

Hey does anyone know how i can kill some people ive enslaved in just business? I want to get rid of a few but this mod made them immortal and i cant release them.

You've found the topic for getting help with the Fallout 4 Creation Kit (FO4CK). Instead, I recommend asking in the support topic for the Just Business mod.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeking some advice on biped slot checks at scale...

The mod I'm working on has accumulated a number of perks which activate abilities or scale effects based on whether the player is wearing things on the underarmor and body armor slots (36-45). My initial implementation uses sets of vanilla condition checks for WornCoversBipedSlot, but as I'm adding more effects and weapons which will be based on similar data From some of the warnings in the CK wiki I'm getting the sinking feeling that I'm going to contribute adversely to load on the game engine when lots of these are being done simultaneously, but I'm also wary of falling into the trap of premature optimization.

Should I be looking at creating my own Papyrus functions which perform those groups of checks and then call one of those functions in a single condition instead, or is the resulting load going to be roughly the same either way? Does the script engine cache call results at all? Would it be a good idea to have some sort of maintenance script implement a call cache into some globals and then check those from conditions instead? Or are there already other standard ways mod developers handle these situations?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Hi, i'm learning papyrus script by trying to understand and modify existing mods. I usually work on mods with source code and when i used "Champollion PEX to Papyrus Decompiler" for the first time i thought it would be straightforward but when i recompiled the script, it generated a hundred of errors. I fixed all of them except this one:

"new event onmcmsettingchange cannot be defined because the script is not flagged as native"

Obviously the script was not flagged as Native before decompilation and the only solution i found is to use a function instead of Event ( Function OnMCMSettingChange(string modName, string id)), but doing so, disable the MCM menu completely.

I didn't know where to ask so i hope this is the right place.

Anyone used OnItemAdded event for a container?

https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=OnItemAdded_-_ObjectReference

I have it on an extends ObjectReference script as suggested on the page.

But there's no real mention of what object the script should be attached to.

I assumed putting it on my container would work.
I've seen that kind of setup for another mod that has a workshop item with a container doing some stuff with OnItemAdded.

Though my container is on an interior cell.

Calling via an aid item > mgef > script > reference to container.Activate works ok and opens the container, and adding/removing stuff acts as expected, so the container itself is set up fine.

Script attached to that container does fire OnInit so I know the attached script is at least loaded.

But the OnItemAdded event in the script isn't called (neither OnRemoveItem) when moving stuff to/from it.

Edit: Monkeyed around a bit, reinstalled the mod on earlier save, and now it seems to be working ok now.

Edited by Haberdasher
12 hours ago, Haberdasher said:

Monkeyed around a bit, reinstalled the mod on earlier save, and now it seems to be working ok now.

Yeah, my in-progress development testing workflow is to always load from a save which never had my mod's plugin activated, since stuff tends to... linger otherwise. I've spent way too much time pulling my hair out over bugs I thought I'd fixed, only to discover that I had fixed them but some old behaviors were sticking around in my save.

Fired up the CK for the first time in ages, looking ot make some NPCs. Problem is, the faces are solid black in the preview pane.

I tried toggling ambient lighting, but for the cell render window incase the preview used the same params, but no joy. Anyone any ideas?

6 hours ago, DocClox said:

Fired up the CK for the first time in ages, looking ot make some NPCs. Problem is, the faces are solid black in the preview pane.

I tried toggling ambient lighting, but for the cell render window incase the preview used the same params, but no joy. Anyone any ideas?

Not much help, but I'm curious to know too. I expect my 2K face textures are causing issues for the CK, but I've been doing things "the hard way" and previewing faces in the game, which... slow and tedious would be an understatement.