The next stage: The Witcher 3

Sacremas

Novigrad kinda deserves a zone in itself looking at the contents, you can get around 10 levels just in the city alone. For me it's the equivalent of the entirety of The Reach in Skyrim. Plus you should be happy it's on the same hub zone, as there are no loading screens when you cross the Pontar. 

And coming at level 11 on horseback from sad desolated Velen to glorious Novigrad was one of the best epic moments of the game for me. Like I knew it was huge, but actually seeing it from afar, and looking at it getting bigger and bigger until you're right in front of the gates was just glorious. Then I realized it wasn't Novigrad, it was Oxenfurt. So finally arriving to the real Novigrad at level 14 was a huge slap in the face for me. 

As for Gwent, yeah, I thought I understood how it worked, but I've been defeated countless times by people that all of a sudden lay down 2-3 cards in one go for no apparent reason. I also don't really understand when the round is supposed to end. Sometimes it keeps going as long as you have cards, and sometimes it just ends even though you still have plenty of cards and the other guy just beat you by say, one point or so. 

Oh well, I'll keep practicing I guess... 

Actually it's not a difficult game. There are 4 empires, so you can have 4 different decks. I strongly advise you to read every single description of every single card, so you can understand what they are all doing.

I have already completed "Collect 'Em All", so I can tell you that in the beginning the "Nilfgaardian Empire's deck" is very strong until you shaped your "Monsters's deck" that in my opinion is the strongest one. With "Monsters's deck" I can actually lay down maximum of 5 cards in one go and with Commander's Horn or Dandelion have double points, very sweet.

Everyone starts with 10 cards randomly chosen from their deck, except for "Scoia'tael" if they have a leader that can draw an extra card in the beginning.

The game ends when you are out of cards or you pass. That's it.

Novigrad is ... indeed the way Bethesda (and Bioware for that matter) have to look at for their future games...I do not really care if any inhabitant has a home, name, daily schedule, and not every house has to be open, I never got why Bethesda tried to aim for that. All I want for immersion is cities like Novigrad, huge, sprawling with life, giving me the illusion of a real city, instead of the nowadays ratehr embarrassing cities like Solitude (capital of Skyrim, with like a dozen people living there...)...Bethesda should up the scale of their worlds for the next releases...

Oh, and Novigrad...some fan just HAS to recreate this video with Geralt starring in it ... :D  I guess most people that strolled through Novigrad for some time might know what I mean

Actually it's not a difficult game. There are 4 empires, so you can have 4 different decks. I strongly advise you to read every single description of every single card, so you can understand what they are all doing.

I have already completed "Collect 'Em All", so I can tell you that in the beginning the "Nilfgaardian Empire's deck" is very strong until you shaped your "Monsters's deck" that in my opinion is the strongest one. With "Monsters's deck" I can actually lay down maximum of 5 cards in one go and with Commander's Horn or Dandelion have double points, very sweet.

Everyone starts with 10 cards randomly chosen from their deck, except for "Scoia'tael" if they have a leader that can draw an extra card in the beginning.

The game ends when you are out of cards or you pass. That's it.

Thanks, I actually get its not a hard game, its just some of the rules I'm not clear about. I only recently found out about the spy ability, which appears to allow you to draw two extra cards, which might explain why my opponents seem to be able to lay 3 cards in one go sometimes. I also saw a healer card which allows me to draw a card from my discarded deck, so slowly bu surely I am getting the hang of it.

In other news, spoiler about Novigrad when you first meet Triss...

I'm beginning to really resent the TW2 save import system, merely because I have no clue whatsoever what good it does. So far no events at all seem to have carried over, besides one lonely mention of Roche by a peasant. The game hasn't even acknowledged Saskia or Iorveth. Seems like the rich tapestry of endings you can get in TW2 has been totally for naught. Now I just met Triss and from the brief convo we had before being ambushed, it's like we parted on bad terms or something. As I remember it, I gave her the rose of remembrance (which I found at her house) and proclaimed my love for her. I think I let Letho save her, though I'm not sure (another thing is the save doesn't tell you squat about what you've done, which is annoying...)

I'm starting to wish I'd gone for "simulate save" instead so I'd get the chance to actually tell the game what I did, because at the moment it doesn't seem like it mattered particularly. It's annoying to have to start from scratch with Triss again given all we went through and did in TW2...

100 hours mark 36% and lvl 23 still( doing all treasure and unfinished grey quests so not much xp hehe.

Still love th game even with some annoying bugs and clunky controls/camera(they should fire the dev who designed this for PC(i know console port but at least make controls for PC and not fucking controllers)or pay him less :P

Thanks, I actually get its not a hard game, its just some of the rules I'm not clear about. I only recently found out about the spy ability, which appears to allow you to draw two extra cards, which might explain why my opponents seem to be able to lay 3 cards in one go sometimes. I also saw a healer card which allows me to draw a card from my discarded deck, so slowly bu surely I am getting the hang of it.

In other news, spoiler about Novigrad when you first meet Triss...

I'm beginning to really resent the TW2 save import system, merely because I have no clue whatsoever what good it does. So far no events at all seem to have carried over, besides one lonely mention of Roche by a peasant. The game hasn't even acknowledged Saskia or Iorveth. Seems like the rich tapestry of endings you can get in TW2 has been totally for naught. Now I just met Triss and from the brief convo we had before being ambushed, it's like we parted on bad terms or something. As I remember it, I gave her the rose of remembrance (which I found at her house) and proclaimed my love for her. I think I let Letho save her, though I'm not sure (another thing is the save doesn't tell you squat about what you've done, which is annoying...)

I'm starting to wish I'd gone for "simulate save" instead so I'd get the chance to actually tell the game what I did, because at the moment it doesn't seem like it mattered particularly. It's annoying to have to start from scratch with Triss again given all we went through and did in TW2...

Ah some changes are there, some are not. Depends on what the writers force you into. I think they never really parted from the book author's mindset on the genre, until, during their development of Witcher 3, the author claimed the games are not canon at all and have nothing to do with the continuation of his books. If there is a Witcher 4, and I think there will if the leaked documents from last year are anything close to the truth, the authors will take much more liberty concerning the story line. But right there, some choices, such as romance especially, are kind of "hard coded" if I may speak that way, into the story line. Geralt and Yen are still under the effect of the Last Wish. Hence, your choice in romance can't work until the Genie's wish is still active. So Triss and Geralt separating was only a matter of time, or it'd have left a plot hole around that Wish, which has been around from way back, like the first story written concerning Yen actually. 

But Witcher 3 allow you to dig a little deeper into that "wish" story line, with some choices to make that'll change things for real this time. So, in short, so far romance choices were only eye candy, and ephemeral as you are given an illusion of choice, and deprived of it by the narrative restraint that is the wish. 

Other choices, more important ones, have either a small or very small impact on W3's story line, and yeah that is a bit of a shame. For example, killing that dumb kid captain in Witcher 2 only gives you a little dialogue with her mother in W3. Not killing him is the same. 

BUT, one good surprise was Letho.

He's in Witcher 3 !!! Don't miss him ! Check on google how to find him, I think he's in Velen. You can get buddy with him and even invite him to Kaer Morhen for the Act III of the story

I don't know why they insisted on following the books then, because by TW2 you'd already written your own story. I don't particularly care for Yennefer because Triss was my love interest in TW1 and 2. I was hoping they wouldn't do this of forcing the Yennefer angle "because". I'm a little miffed at that.

Also, can someone please explain to me the rule(s) of Gwent that allow you to put down more than one card at once? I had a nice 40 strength, passed, then my opponent (who was also playing as the Northern Realsm) goes and puts down a +4 spy, and then immediately proceeds to put down two +6 catapults. Bam, wins the match. So basically, in that one round, they played 3 cards. How is this possible, and how can I do the same?

Cheers.

I messed up with gwent and didn't play it at all in early game and now every npc got way stronger deck then mine. But from what i know

-healer - wtih cross icon - revives card from your graveyard and puts it in play.

-call to arms (or whatever it is called ) - helm icon - when you play this card all cards with this symbol in your hand and deck enter battlefield.

As for spy it is unit that joins your opponents line and draws you 2 cards. Basicly if you pass your are at your opponents mercy. There is some strategy to it like playing out worthless cards because mostly AI won't pass and will continue playing probably stronger cards.

Yea Witcher 2 choices impact... i have yet to see any. Really i did rescue Triss then what prevented witch hunt and by the way ending looked it seemed super important. No impact for W3 as i can see, i suspect unspelling Saskia got similarly no impact (i belive you dont even meet her in W3). Once i will finish the game i will read about what choices actually have impact on W3.

I don't know why they insisted on following the books then, because by TW2 you'd already written your own story. I don't particularly care for Yennefer because Triss was my love interest in TW1 and 2. I was hoping they wouldn't do this of forcing the Yennefer angle "because". I'm a little miffed at that.

Also, can someone please explain to me the rule(s) of Gwent that allow you to put down more than one card at once? I had a nice 40 strength, passed, then my opponent (who was also playing as the Northern Realsm) goes and puts down a +4 spy, and then immediately proceeds to put down two +6 catapults. Bam, wins the match. So basically, in that one round, they played 3 cards. How is this possible, and how can I do the same?

Cheers.

I think the writers worked with the book author, and were under the impression they were making canonical content. Which means if the author one day decides to get back to writing, he'd pick up from where the story is in the games, although taking just one part of the available game story versions (which changes according to your choices in the game but the author could hardly write 5 different books on the same story with different versions...)

Fact is, you're forced UNTIL TW3 on Yennefer.  It's an underlying main plot problematic ; does Yen loves Geralt genuinely or is it because of the gift he made (and vice-versa) ? Hence Priscillia's song in TW3, where she says

"The wish I whispered, when it all began

Did it forge a love you might never have found ?". 

So it's really an important part of the setting. You can't just forget all that and allow Geralt to love another while disregarding this wish. But in TW3 you can actually solve this problem for good. Which is pretty smart considering it's probably the end of Geralt's adventures (if there is a TW4 Geralt won't be the main character, CDPR said so). Carry on playing a bit and finish both of Yen and Triss' quest lines, you'll see how your choice this time is definitive and really brings closure. 

Ps : Once you pass in Gwent, your opponent can put as many cards as he want before passing himself. So only pass when you're sure you have so many points that he can't possibly beat you with the cards he has left, or you can also pass when you want to trick him into using a lot of strong cards, so the next round is a guaranteed win. 

Also, a trick that works really well in lower/medium leveled players : play a strong card at start of the game, like 8 point catapult (no hero). The opponent will place an accordingly high level card, maybe even a hero. Then at your turn, use Decoy to get back your catapult. The opponent will think you tricked him into using cards, and he'll pass instead of wasting more. You can then destroy him with 2 cards in a row, and pass to win the round. Works extremely well. 

If you know only the games and Triss, Yen really can seem like an intruder of sorts, she really comes out of left-field. At least she is talked about in TW2, while Triss totally ignored mentioning her in TW1...

Actually its kinda interesting. Looking back at part one Triss was a lot more manipulative and "demanding" than she was portrayed in the books. In fact she was a lot more like Yenn would have been. That changed, until we currently have a Triss in TW3 that feels a bit more "in-line" with her book-counterpart. A bit unsurer, warmer, friendlier. No wonder, as she longer needs to be the stand-in Yennifer, at least that's how I see it

All in all, Yenn is the somewhat more interesting personality, I like how she mocks Geralt etc. Though, I only have recently arrived in Skellige, so I wonder how/if they will delve a bit deeper into their romance, and especially what came before TW3 ... I mean Geralt was amnesiac so long, Yenn was also around somewhere, but all of that didn't seem to interest these two that much atm..

All in all, Yenn is the somewhat more interesting personality, I like how she mocks Geralt etc. Though, I only have recently arrived in Skellige, so I wonder how/if they will delve a bit deeper into their romance, and especially what came before TW3 ... I mean Geralt was amnesiac so long, Yenn was also around somewhere, but all of that didn't seem to interest these two that much atm..

I only know some important facts from the books that I felt it was mandatory to know before playing the games back when I bought Witcher 1, so I'm not the voice of knowledge here, but that story between Geralt and Yenn was really well taken care of in Skellige imho. Especially that Djinn thing, with the wish. I thought it was skillfully done, you'll tell me if I am right after you've finished it, but if you read the books I'm pretty sure you'll love that part. Especially if you read The Last Wish. 

Fuck I really need to find those books, I'll get them on Amazon right now in fact. 

I'm up to date with (most) of the books, and I know the Yenn/Geralt angle. Thing is, I've never considered the TW games to be cannon. I also disagree that in TW3 CDPR worked with Sapowski - I think he made it pretty clear after TW2 that he did not consider (nor really care) for the TW games as cannon either. So okay, that's something they want to wrap up, but still, it's a little forced. I am looking forward to see how its taken care of at Skellige though, as I've only really just reached Novigrad today.

I've spent the last few hours playing Gwent and now I get the basics - I didn't realise those cards were the "muster" type. Only doubt I have is does it muster it from your own hand (so you lose cards) or from your deck, so they are "extra" cards, like with the medic/spy cards?

Also, did anyone notice the old peasant woman in Oreton taht says "Son!" if Geralt talks to her? Would be an awesome mini quest right there! So many neat little touches  :lol:

I enjoyed the shorts more than the novels, but the book-series at least make Yenn shine in a more positive light, in regards to her motherly love for Ciri, which is nice. After all its really sad that this former hunchback woman scorned by her own family and society, and now is a powerful, self-confident sorceress, has as ehr greatest wish to be a mother, and finds more fulfilling in that than her magic powers...

Feminists might however shove the above down my throat (or Sapkowskis?), but I like it anyways...

Err i did read the books but i didn't remember the wish thing :( ... yea that make sense that the love was Yens desire.

I hope they will start a new IP, witcher is Geralt for me. Also i belive they will want to chase the "start as anyone" format was simply doesn't fit witcher, it is a low fantasy setting where magic should be very subtle. It is already overgrown in Witcher 3.

I'm up to date with (most) of the books, and I know the Yenn/Geralt angle. Thing is, I've never considered the TW games to be cannon. I also disagree that in TW3 CDPR worked with Sapowski - I think he made it pretty clear after TW2 that he did not consider (nor really care) for the TW games as cannon either. So okay, that's something they want to wrap up, but still, it's a little forced. I am looking forward to see how its taken care of at Skellige though, as I've only really just reached Novigrad today.

I've spent the last few hours playing Gwent and now I get the basics - I didn't realise those cards were the "muster" type. Only doubt I have is does it muster it from your own hand (so you lose cards) or from your deck, so they are "extra" cards, like with the medic/spy cards?

Also, did anyone notice the old peasant woman in Oreton taht says "Son!" if Geralt talks to her? Would be an awesome mini quest right there! So many neat little touches  :lol:

It was the writer's thinking that they were making a cannon story, and once they pigeon-holed themselves into their story line (looking at the quality of the story I'm pretty the story for the three games were written by the time they finished Witcher 1). Can't say they literally worked with Sapowski, but they still asked him about details and characters, how he pictured them etc. Triss too, even if they changed her appearance anyway. I'm talking out of my ass right there, I've still to read the books.

But, I know a good story, and I know a bad one, and if this game is a story more than it is a game, then having Geralt in a serious relationship with anyone while still bound by a spell that binds him to Yenn against or with his will is pretty much running toward a bad story for me. Simply because stuff is illogical, and you wouldn't believe how dark fantasy like A Song Of Ice And Fire or The Witcher rely on logic. What people like the most in these kinds of story is the "actual" feeling it gives, like it's a historical thing, it needs to be "alive" and not just a fairy tale. Which means you need things to be coherent, and Geralt's romances are just a part from that.

Radovid for example, his dad was assassinated when he himself was 13 years old. Getting paranoia and becoming mad are results from this whole thing, then the events following it ; witches burning, torturing, him becoming a crazy son of a bitch, are coherent

There are some bits of story I'm not okay with but I thought the romances were well taken care of in that one. Loved Triss and Yen there even thought I hated Triss in the first game (Shani ftw). Only thing I have some problem with is the lack of content about those romances, like I'm okay with how their respective stories are going, but I feel like it's really missing on visual information, cut scenes especially, or even books, letters, anything. Right now it feels like you're taking a dump after months of constipation like "aight that's done, phew, off to kill some bandits cya". Would've loved some sort of connection to stay throughout the game, why not more side quests with your romance choice as companion for example ... 

But, I know a good story, and I know a bad one, and if this game is a story more than it is a game, then having Geralt in a serious relationship with anyone while still bound by a spell that binds him to Yenn against or with his will is pretty much running toward a bad story for me. Simply because stuff is illogical, and you wouldn't believe how dark fantasy like A Song Of Ice And Fire or The Witcher rely on logic. What people like the most in these kinds of story is the "actual" feeling it gives, like it's a historical thing, it needs to be "alive" and not just a fairy tale. Which means you need things to be coherent, and Geralt's romances are just a part from that.

Radovid for example, his dad was assassinated when he himself was 13 years old. Getting paranoia and becoming mad are results from this whole thing, then the events following it ; witches burning, torturing, him becoming a crazy son of a bitch, are coherent

I'm not entirely sure I agree with this though. I covered this in my TW 2 review. In making these games, CDPR have an obligation to honour the lore they have established in these two games, regardless of what Sapowski says in his books. My TW1 and TW2 lore states I have gone all out for Triss and more or less forgotten about Yenn. In importing my saves, I feel that lore should be respected. But it is not. You mention fantasy books, but you don't read volumes I and II of a fantasy book only to find out volume III completely changes some major storyline aspect of the previous tomes ad consider that good writing. Back in TWII, I was afraid this would happen, and so far, though I have only had one Triss encounter, I seem to have been proved right. Starting from scratch with Triss isn't really an option when it comes to my suspension of disbelief. It kind of cheapens my TW2 experience, especially the whole elven baths/rose of remembrance bit which I consider to be one of the highpoints of gaming storytelling history.

I mean, I get it, that I can fix this later on it in the Skellige quests, but it should never have started like this, I feel.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with this though. I covered this in my TW 2 review. In making these games, CDPR have an obligation to honour the lore they have established in these two games, regardless of what Sapowski says in his books. My TW1 and TW2 lore states I have gone all out for Triss and more or less forgotten about Yenn. In importing my saves, I feel that lore should be respected. But it is not. You mention fantasy books, but you don't read volumes I and II of a fantasy book only to find out volume III completely changes some major storyline aspect of the previous tomes ad consider that good writing. Back in TWII, I was afraid this would happen, and so far, though I have only had one Triss encounter, I seem to have been proved right. Starting from scratch with Triss isn't really an option when it comes to my suspension of disbelief. It kind of cheapens my TW2 experience, especially the whole elven baths/rose of remembrance bit which I consider to be one of the highpoints of gaming storytelling history.

I mean, I get it, that I can fix this later on it in the Skellige quests, but it should never have started like this, I feel.

Eh there is the whole amnesia story device too used back in the day to explain why you had to learn how to be a witcher all over again in Witcher 1. That's why you were falling in love in Triss, but you get forcefully withdrawn from this by the djinn's spell. Of course it's frustrating, but it's on purpose (I know it does not make you feel better). 

It's not like TW3 completely changes what was done before, just that the amnesia from TW1 was slowly receding until the end of TW2. All along, the character is not "whole", he only gains back his true "being" once he has all his memories. Which means your choices about his romances was, in short, irrelevant until he becomes finally "whole". It was a build up all along, and TW3 is the climax (disappointing literal climax gotta admit, even if the sentimental side is imho pretty good. Wtf is wrong with Triss' sex scene, my masturbation sessions are more passionate than this ...)

Plus you can also perceive the whole thing from Triss' side. They attempted to give her a "real""personality, which makes your own choice limited by her own choices. Imma be pompous and quote Kant on a porn website here : "One's freedom stops where another one's freedom begins". So you can choose to be with Triss, but she can choose to leave too, and she did. Apparently she's full of remorse for having tricked Geralt, and furthermore doesn't want to be with him for now as he retrieved all his memories about Yennefer and knows of the wish he made with the djinn. If you were in her place, would you carry on a relationship with someone you've taken advantage of during his amnesia, and that someone being on top of that irrevocably (she thinks) bound to another by some of the most powerful magic in existence ? Chances are that in the writers' mind, she felt insecure that Geralt loved her for real in TW2, and chose to finish things off before seeing Yenn come back and Geralt go naturally to her, bound as he is by either love or magic, or both. 

All in all, it's explainable, I don't know if it's acceptable, but I can see the logic in there, being a writer myself I often find myself having to cope with a character's exigences. Like, I want this character to love this character, but know the personality of this first character could she really fall in love like that with this other character knowing how she is ? So I have to build up the relationship until it is explainable that the both of them fall in love and stay together. Just my opinion though, maybe I'll have a different mindset and agree with you once I've finally found and finished those damn books... 

A word of Warning!!! Do not finish the main story, do all the side quests before it. If you do, you can find yourself in a very "sad" state, that will kill any desire to continue to play the game. If you want tot find out why, here is the main topic (contains Spoilers!!!) on official forums about it.

A word of Warning!!! Do not finish the main story, do all the side quests before it. If you do, you can find yourself in a very "sad" state, that will kill any desire to continue to play the game. If you want tot find out why, here is the main topic (contains Spoilers!!!) on official forums about it.

Nice of you to mention it, thought there would be some cool moments after the main quest is done ... Shit. 

Will finish everything and get every question mark on the map before the final stages, carrying on playing knowing that you can't talk to anyone and they just remove them from the game after you finish the main questline sucks ass, fo shizzle. 

It's kind huge open world with many side quest but it's eventually same as witcher 2 you follow path with quest at end its over you can play again if you want for other out come.

This where skyrim is completely different game where there is no real end.

Still think its great game TW3 but it's very story driven and when finished game is finished.

But hopefully mods will solve many problems and make this game playble for many more hours.

What did you expect? CDPR doesn't really care about immersion, or knows anything about it, whatever they've got snatched from another game. Remember the screen you get when you die in TW2? "Game Over"! What is this, a fucking arcade game?

What did you expect? CDPR doesn't really care about immersion, or knows anything about it, whatever they've got snatched from another game. Remember the screen you get when you die in TW2? "Game Over"! What is this, a fucking arcade game?

I actually did all the side quests and all the contracts, as I always do when playing RPGs, but even for me, the world became hallow without the main characters. CDPR so many times spoke about Skyrim and how it inspired them to do a sandbox Witcher game and what they did? Destroyed the ending. :-/

Why did they not leave everyone in game? I don't need more quests with them or lines of dialog, just them presents would be enough like Bethesda did with Skyrim.

Archived