Why not on Nexus?

TheWitherEffect

If they're not control freaks, then how could one explain why all the sudden in the last two years they went from supporting a few Beth games to a couple dozen and more titles, some of which are even remotely moddable? And then the problems with downloading? And a mod manager that seems to be in stillbirth?

I come at the Nex forums, especially the tech support areas and some of the threads are left unanswered... Of course, because most of the posters are first-timers who didn't read carefully before modding.

Going any further, of course there will be some prudes.

Oh, yes, I remember something else... Down at New Vegas, does anyone knows of a certain BlackBlossom? This character doesn't seem to get flagged despite having a questionable authorship claim to a body mod.

What body is that? Last I checked BlackBlossom made textures not meshes. Exclusively.

She also gamed the system like Ewi did and yet she's still there, not him.

In general and again I emphasize, quoting Animal Farm, some are more equal than others.

What exactly did Blackblossom do, then? Editing other people's work and uploading it yourself isn't exactly against the rules, as long as you get the permissions to do it. I have no idea who Blackblossom is or what he/she did.

Blackballed because of a slight infraction for certain cases whereas other cases the same infraction is ignored. A few years back darkputz came up with some rules that his moderators were to follow but since it has been confirmed that the moderators don't have to follow those rules if they don't want to. So we are left with one set of rules for certain people and other sets of rules for the rest.

In other and very familiar words, some are more equal than others

Reading this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/2wnsn7/ewi65_was_banned_before_a_shitstorm_starts_i_want/

Although the subject of that thread did wrong by gaming the hot files system, it's this self-righteous attitude of hers -- and leading the mob to hang him in absentia -- is why I don't use any of her mods, and I had to stifle my laughter as her fanclub fall onto their knees whenever she goes around there. 

I got rockjoint reading that thread jesus christ.......

She also gamed the system like Ewi did and yet she's still there, not him.

In general and again I emphasize, quoting Animal Farm, some are more equal than others.

What exactly did Blackblossom do, then? Editing other people's work and uploading it yourself isn't exactly against the rules, as long as you get the permissions to do it. I have no idea who Blackblossom is or what he/she did.

Read Kendo 2's explanation as to how and why. That's what prompted me to use the original Type3 body mod from Dimon.

Read Kendo 2's explanation as to how and why. That's what prompted me to use the original Type3 body mod from Dimon.

They do give credit to everyone that they have taken there's work from Dimon99, Backsteppo, n00bie, Exnem. It's all right there on the credits. All they did was neatly package it together. That's not what I'd call a thief, more of an organizer. Don't see any of the credited author complaining in the comments either. http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34702/?

Here goes the Skyrim equivalent. UNP Replacer Configuration Package http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/20884/?Theres one for CBBE, Sevenbase. Rarely made by the original author. Just organized texture with the UNP body. Made easy for all of those people that always complain about blue bodies. Honestly mods like these are a god send because people suck at modding there games and need help. I don't feel like typing out an essay on how to install something as simple as a body replacer.

90% of mods today are either ports or redux, remade, 2.0, etc, whatever you want to call it, of someone else's mod. Especially when it comes to Skyrim either it was made for Oblivion, it's a rip from a popular videogame like TERA or Blade & Soul. Whatever but I know half the time they don't got permission and a lot of the time they don't give credit. I'm not about to call someone a thief when they do give credit.

Most of the original work made for Skyrim gets their authors banned ironically. I'm not even gonna give any examples of that. Lets just say that they are on this site now or others.

Happens on this site too. I feel like saying something as an artist to help them. But I doubt they'd take the advice well so I just leave it alone. People don't take constructive criticism well no matter what site you're on.

Hm, not sure, but my experiences here are rather that -most- mod authors here take constructive criticism rather well. Sure, not every suggestion will be implemented, but I have rarely seen people getting bashed in any mod discussion thread for making them. I haven't seen mod authors getting bashed a lot either (personally, I had exactly -one- case of someone being a complete moron in my own thread - over the course of nine months), so I would say that the general tone in this community is -mostly- just fine, particularly by internet standards.

They do give credit to everyone that they have taken there's work from Dimon99, Backsteppo, n00bie, Exnem. It's all right there on the credits. All they did was neatly package it together. That's not what I'd call a thief, more of an organizer. Don't see any of the credited author complaining in the comments either. http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34702/?

Those credits you see listed were not there for a VERY long time.  I know this because I was the one who reported her for sampling Exnem's textures and PRETENDING that it was her original paint.  Exnem and BackSteppo were not mentioned anywhere and all dimon99 got was a bump for making the mod that 'inspired' hers.

What started all of this was her making an announcement that 'her' manicured nails meshes would be added to the mod.  HumanNature66 (who is the original creator of those meshes) said 'NO, they are not.  I made them, you didn't, you can't use them.'  That is when she said 'I don't see what the big deal is.  They are for Type 3 and Type3 is a resource.' And Freddo (HumanNature) said 'If it's not a big deal then you'll have no problem making your own meshes.'

So Freddo PMed me about it and I already new she was a huge mod thief because she had sampled my textures for FO3 and pretended she had did them on her own.  When I looked at her BOG textures I knew she didn't paint them.  Whole sections of Exnem's texture were just sloppily pasted onto a Type3 one and you can even see where the feathered and dithered edges lap over from section to section.  I was friends with Exnem at one time so I recognized his work.  If it wasn't for me, BlackBlossom would still be pretending she painted those textures.  "Modest texturing skills."  Yeah, modest indeed.

I know from personal experience that Black Blossom perpetrated an intentional fraud concerning Type3.  When I uploaded the Official Type3 Release For New Vegas at Nexus I was assaulted by people telling me that BlackBlossom created Type3 and that dimon99 stole it and that I was a thief too.  THAT was the last fucking straw.  I gathered all of the facts and presented them to the Nexus staff concerning her modding habits.  That is when she was FORCED to update her BOG upload page and include the people she conveniently forgot about, yah know...the ones that actually made all of the content.

That is also when the staff started digging deeper into her mods and THAT got her banned (until Dante let her back in) and about 80% of the mods she uploaded were removed.  She uploaded DLC meshes and textures in the same mod so the DLC was not needed.  That's piracy.  She uploaded other modders' content without permission.  That's thievery.  She pretended she made it all and took the praise and kudos from nexus dupes.  That makes her a liar and a hustler.

BlackBlossom's last stunt for New Vegas was a just a screenshot.  A screenshot of 'her new lip make up'.  In typical BlackBlossom fashion. all she had done was copy one of Xaznom's lip masks and pasted it on another face texture.  Of course, Xaznom went completely ape; PMed BlackBlossom with a 'just you fucking in try it' and she contacted the staff.  Needless to say, BlackBlossom's 'new lips' never got uploaded.

I know you probably don't want to believe me, and that's okay.  Most of BlackBlossom's mods are gone from Nexus.  Ever wonder why?  I was there for the whole thing from start to finish and I saw how the Nexus staff protected her and her 'reputation'.  They hid the mods people were reporting and deleted the posts people made about her stealing their content.  I might be lot of things to a lot of people, but liar and thief aren't two of them.

You know Kendo, the thing that pisses me off most about that whole BOG thing (now that the credits are fixed) is that despite every bit of that download being someone elses work that was released "go ahead and reuse, with credit" -- BOG itself isn't. Do five minutes of fiddling in photoshop, slap your watermark on one of the feet, and release it with the "THIS IS MINE USE IT AND GET SUED" license.

Why?

The all important ego stroking download counter. There is no other reasonable explanation.

The all important ego stroking download counter. There is no other reasonable explanation.

This is another thing that bothered me with Nexus. I don't think I have ever seen a modding community that was more obsessed with endorsement whoring and download numbers than Nexus. To me, modding is about a) having fun doing it and b ) enhancing the game experience with something new and fresh that I wanted to be in the game but isn't. If others like what I do, that's a plus for me and I feel of course flattered when they say that they like my mod, but it's not the reason why I am modding. On Nexus, "beating" other people's endorsement score and becoming a modder celebrity seems to be way more important to people than it really should. It has more the vibe of a competition than working together to make the game better for all of us.

I've tilted at the download counter windmill here myself, to no avail. I'd like to see it just made private, as it's useful for guessing at the exposure a beta has had. Making it public doesn't seem to have any point. The endorsements are even worse. A three year old mod that was great then but is wildly broken today will still show 50 billion endorsements.

-Snip

I'm not a modder (although I have created a few car skins for a racingsim that I am very active with) but I can really relate to this as well.

As a musician, I do not write/compose music/play in bands, to become famous. I do it because I like to create and play music.

And if people like it, it's a bonus and ofc, I get happy. That's a enough reward for me.

In a way I like, the "like" system. It's a cheap and lazy way to say "thank you, I like your work" but sadly it goes overboard sometimes.

People creating ghost accounts to endorse their own mods and I have seen several people that I subscribe to on YouTube like their own videos.

It's sad really.

This is another thing that bothered me with Nexus. I don't think I have ever seen a modding community that was more obsessed with endorsement whoring and download numbers than Nexus. To me, modding is about a) having fun doing it and b ) enhancing the game experience with something new and fresh that I wanted to be in the game but isn't. If others like what I do, that's a plus for me and I feel of course flattered when they say that they like my mod, but it's not the reason why I am modding. On Nexus, "beating" other people's endorsement score and becoming a modder celebrity seems to be way more important to people than it really should. It has more the vibe of a competition than working together to make the game better for all of us.

Pinning that just on Nexus doesn't make a whole lot of sense, none of the offshoots of community at large are innocent, that goes for Loverslab here, as well. Whether it's mods, screenshots, you name it. It's widespread, and unfortunately damn near expected, with a growing userbase that built itself on leeching. To the point where users that have never edited anything in these games(share or not), are posting with ignorant self entitled undertones. And the mindset is poisonous and created a negative cycle.

Pinning that just on Nexus doesn't make a whole lot of sense, none of the offshoots of community at large are innocent, that goes for Loverslab here, as well. Whether it's mods, screenshots, you name it. It's widespread, and unfortunately damn near expected, with a growing userbase that built itself on leeching. To the point where users that have never edited anything in these games(share or not), are posting with ignorant self entitled undertones. And the mindset is poisonous and created a negative cycle.

Read my words carefully before misquoting me. I didn't pin that sort of behaviour -just- on Nexus. I said that Nexus is -worse- in that regard than any other modding community I have ever seen.

Read my words carefully before misquoting me. I didn't pin that sort of behaviour -just- on Nexus. I said that Nexus is -worse- in that regard than any other modding community I have ever seen.

Excuse me.

*Applause* (After reading I felt an uncontrollable urge to endorse your comment) :P

I don't think Kimy is pinning that all on the Nexus alone? Come on, the topic of this thread is about the Nexus and not all other forums. This generation is sometimes referred to the "Like Generation" and child psychologists are dealing with children and adolescences who show serious depression when they don't get enough "Likes" on facebook and other internet places. 

Imo all these "Like" and "Endorse" buttons should be removed. It's silly and mostly just a popularity contest. Anyone can just look at the Nexus Image share and you'll see the same group of people in the top 20 all the time. Very rarely will an unknown break in the top 20 and often there are better pics that are ignored. If a person becomes socially accepted and joins in the "Image Share Mafia" then very soon they start to receive more endorsements because the other image share users expect that they will get their endorsements returned. It is absolutely ridiculous. 4 years ago or so over at tesadventures we purposely uploaded terrible and ugly pics and swarmed the image share with endorsements to get them in the top ten because we could. The regulars at the image shares, even before they post an image automatically start with 10-15 endorsements.

:idea: I say scrap they whole system :exclamation:

Nah, I guess every modding community is plagued by that. The Mount and Blade modding community isn't better. I think that if you delve deep enough in any scene, you'll find plenty of those retards. But that's something that most people who just want to download and play a mod won't do. Which makes this whole deal even more bizarre - I mean those people try so hard to be recognized as someone important in a very small niche community. I doubt that most users even bother to read who the author is, let alone remember the name.

Many people have something better to do than argue over insignificant internet fame. Like I said, modding isn't that important. It's fun, in some cases it might even be considered art if you so desire, but it's a hobby.

This is just.. an ugly side to human nature, really. I've been in nearly identical real world situations at auto shows where some categories are voted on by the attendees, and the same people win every year because they come with a bunch of friends who all vote for them and their hideous pimped ride.

@Ceit: calling Nexus "worse" over others is where my interpretation of "just" came from, as if Kimy were singling out Nexus as an offender on that level. I don't agree with how Nexus handles things, but I don't feel that they're the "worst" over others by comparison. It's on per user basis, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nexus has the highest user base with modding communities.

I wasn't even disagreeing with Kimy, it was a minor semantic issue.

~SNIP~

Well, that's just bitchy. I didn't know all of that. I make my own textures, so I never really got into the FNV Nexus texture politics. I most avoided the comments over there, since I spent most of my time on TTW forum. At least you guys got the Nexus staff to do something. These days they rather ban the person with the less endorsements and no premium instead of the thief.

The Nexus tends to impede on the expression of the users that make their way there. 

This frustrates me to no end. Which is why I don't want these mods there, even if they are in line with the rules.

@Ceit: calling Nexus "worse" over others is where my interpretation of "just" came from, as if Kimy were singling out Nexus as an offender on that level. I don't agree with how Nexus handles things, but I don't feel that they're the "worst" over others by comparison. It's on per user basis, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nexus has the highest user base with modding communities.

I wasn't even disagreeing with Kimy, it was a minor semantic issue.

I gotcha, no worries but going back and reading her last post I don't think she took it as minor as you're describing it now... but ya, it's all good here ;)

So where can we find Ewi's mods now. I wasn't a big fan of most of them but he did release a vault 22 (i think that is the number... the one with all the plants) that looked really sweet. His mods have to be popping up somewhere... maybe an Asian board? It seems to me a minor thing to ban someone for...

Nexus and LL are two totally different sites with two totally different communities that view each other through some really tinted spectacles.

Went and summed up this entire topic and the majority of  similar topics in a single sentence. This devolved into another anti-Nexus black hole so fast. What happened to posting more ass and titty mods? I like LL better when there's less of this nonsense and more sex.

Archived