Creating an animated penis

Gayton Kerslut

If the tentacles are just suppose to jiggle/swing, thats fairly easy, no hkx stuff is needed, just add the pones, and in nifskope, add LagBone Controllers. However, if they need to react/behave in any particular way, you'll need HCT for that, and also to build a custom behavior file.

I was just posting the link maybe it might give someone some ideas on a sex like tentacle monster maybe even add a few more tentacles to her and really have some fun. About the only thing I know how to do with nifskope is how to remove parts of a outfit and add NiAlphaproperty for when removing something from a texture to make it disappear.

or take the original skeleton and modify it... kind of a well duh moment.

like vector said its pretty easy.

then you can assign the mody set to use that skeleton by placing it in a separate folder with its own names and stuff using the mod to insert both into the game.

if however you want to add that to the character generation screen, that is a pain in the ass.

we're having some unforseen problem, and last few days I've been trying to solve it, but with no success:

The penis was rigged in a 90º degree angle (just like the tail, and because usually thats the best position to rig a bone chain that can bend in several directions), so an idle animation is required to get it to flaccid. But when it changes to that position it gets a really awful shadow in it, as if something was standing in its front, blocking the light source. This only happens outdoors though, when the penis is hit directly by the sunlight... Other lights dont cause this... I'm totally lost on this one and cant seem to find whats causing this aberrant behavior.

well, I have an alpha/beta version (v1.80.001A), but not animated yet... that version still relies on 40 nifs to be able to scale it and change from flaccid to erect (v2.00 will have the nif count reduced to 2 when I get this shadow thing worked out), and since it was before I did a new rigged skeleton, it doesnt have yet any "physics" or animation.

I'm trying to prepare the new version (v2.00) and I see no point in uploading it either here or the nexus until I solve this shadow issue...

Against my better judgement, what I can tell you is that the mod is called SOS - Schlongs of Skyrim... so if you reaaaally want it, go google! Although I don't expect any problems from upgrading from v1.80.001A to v2.00 (the version in current development), the code will need a major revision in order to support the new skeleton and animation features, so it would be wiser if you just wait for v2.00.

And if someone knows what can be causing the strange shadow, any tips are appreciated. (i may post some screens later)

well, I have an alpha/beta version (v1.80.001A), but not animated yet... that version still relies on 40 nifs to be able to scale it and change from flaccid to erect (v2.00 will have the nif count reduced to 2 when I get this shadow thing worked out), and since it was before I did a new rigged skeleton, it doesnt have yet any "physics" or animation.

I'm trying to prepare the new version (v2.00) and I see no point in uploading it either here or the nexus until I solve this shadow issue...

Against my better judgement, what I can tell you is that the mod is called SOS - Schlongs of Skyrim... so if you reaaaally want it, go google! Although I don't expect any problems from upgrading from v1.80.001A to v2.00 (the version in current development), the code will need a major revision in order to support the new skeleton and animation features, so it would be wiser if you just wait for v2.00.

And if someone knows what can be causing the strange shadow, any tips are appreciated. (i may post some screens later)

hmm, I've been mucking around but it seems you've figured stuff out. I'm simply learning to rig better. Anyway, I do have something that may be worth dealing with. I've been editing Derrax's male werewolf mesh and I've managed to create an erect version of the humanoid thing going on there. if you can do something similar for werewolves, I'll supply you with the edited mesh via a dropbox link. PM me if you want it, dropbox links in public are a death sentance.

hmm, I've been mucking around but it seems you've figured stuff out. I'm simply learning to rig better. Anyway, I do have something that may be worth dealing with. I've been editing Derrax's male werewolf mesh and I've managed to create an erect version of the humanoid thing going on there. if you can do something similar for werewolves, I'll supply you with the edited mesh via a dropbox link. PM me if you want it, dropbox links in public are a death sentance.

There's really no need to that Jager, because the way its being implemented, its to allow to share the same rigging/animation assets, just like the tail. For example, if you would want to, you could easily attach the Argonian/Khajiit tail in any race, as long as the skeleton.nif for that race has the same bones has the tail hkx (TailBone01, TailBone02, ... TailBone05). Thats why, the way its being build, will not require FNIS at all, because FNIS, changes the Base Default character behavior file. Since the penis is a NEW character (as in, its not part of the default(fe)male.hkx skeleton/behavior file), it works independently, without needing or even nake it incompatible with FNIS or any other mod that uses FNIS.

So in short, all its needed, its to copy/paste the current rig I'm working on, from the Default Skeleton.nif, to the Werewolf Skeleton.nif. Every other assets (hkx files) will work for any NIF then (I may have to adapt certeain behaviors, but that should be easy)

Only thing that is delaying this shit now, its that stupid shadow I'm getting... -_-

we're having some unforseen problem, and last few days I've been trying to solve it, but with no success:

The penis was rigged in a 90º degree angle (just like the tail, and because usually thats the best position to rig a bone chain that can bend in several directions), so an idle animation is required to get it to flaccid. But when it changes to that position it gets a really awful shadow in it, as if something was standing in its front, blocking the light source. This only happens outdoors though, when the penis is hit directly by the sunlight... Other lights dont cause this... I'm totally lost on this one and cant seem to find whats causing this aberrant behavior.

I'm not sure if I understood the problem, but it sounds like a object space normal maps issue. I'm aware of your activity on ladymoiraine forums and I think you know more about modeling/textures than me, so maybe I'm wrong.

I once rotated a body mesh in 3ds studio so the char was facing the back, and discovered that the lightning on the body was "reversed" ingame. Fixed it "reversing" the normal maps.

So I concluded that the body meshes can't be rotated at will because the object space normals. As opposed to meshes that use space tangent maps (blueish textures, all Skyrim meshes but bodies).

Have you tried to use space tangent maps? I have no experience using that type of textures on body meshes, don't even know if its possible.

you meant a jiggle penis? a floppy one when the character moves? then you need a separate bone for that. honestly as I have experienced there is no real time Physics in this game. animations are predefined so you have to make a floppy animation and attach it to the bone of the penis. when you move you can make it activates. when you run you can make another animation activates to increase the floppiness. 

Hmmm... no, I'm not that much experienced in 3D, I'm pretty sure you're probably more then me =)

But... if by space normals you mean vertex/face Normals, they are correct, if they weren't the faces wouldnt be visible at all. BUT, the character is indeed turned to the back... It even annoyed my mild OCD, but I was so much worried about the problem being related to the weight maps or other things, that I never really considered it, and because I also exported the body and feet, so in that case the same would happen with those meshes aswell right? Also, in that case, doesnt make sense why it only happens outdoors (sunlight, other light sources are fine).

As far as I know, the reason why Bethesda went for Object Space Normals, was because it reduces significantly the seams between the meshes (body, head, hands, feet, etc) and the problem isn't maps/textures, because I already tested without any texture (not even diffuse) and it still happens... already tried to update tangents and with 4097, same shit, tried with or without vertex colours, nada! =/

I already pretty much tried everything I could think of (even re-exporting the hkx skeleton and anim) I suppose I'll try to rotate the model 180º specially because I'm out of ideas! I do hope thats it, but I honestly doubt it. Still, I'm very appreciated by your tip Belisario, I'll post an update after I tested it to let you know if it worked or not!

@Kepler:

It really depends on what you would consider physics to be... Inertia is physics, and you can simulate it pretty well by using LagBone Controllers. Also, the characters have ragdoll physics, otherwise, they wouldnt move when they die (they would just assume the default T position). I've already tried to make a ragdoll for the penis, but failed, but right now, there are far more important issues to solve than that, so I'm putting it on standby (lagbones will do just fine for now though) As for having the bones, we have already done that part, with all that behavior shenanigan and successfully played an animation. Its all documented in the last posts I did, so you might wanna read the older posts too. =)

Can you post a screenshot? I'm not sure I have understood the problem.

I mean object space normal maps, rainbow-like colored textures. I think this type of normal textures don't make use of the vertex/face normals. The light is applied based on the info stored in the texture file.

Blueish normal textures, tangent space normal maps, do use vertex/face normals.

Yes you're right as far as I know, the normals settings on the nifs are supposed to be only for Tangent Space Normals, but I tried everything because I'm just out of ideas...  Like I said, its not maps, even when I clear all maps references from both the Nif and the Texture set in the CK (no diffuse, no normal, no specular, no SSS or whatever SK is supposed to be) giving you that blueish hue, which is the colour that the game renders when can't find a diffuse texture). Even under this conditions, the shadow still renders, when the penis bends down when outdoors and just outdoors. Indoors its fine. It literally behaves like if some object would animate together with the bending bones, and in doing so, it gets between the sun and the mesh, eclipsing it. Its a Penis Eclipse! very rare, only happens every 10.000 years!!! The Mayan have forseen it! =S

Also, although I think it only happens to the player, I've started to have another issue ever since I jumped to the new rig: Game crashes if I try to set the player (while naked) as an Elf. I know that CHSBHC had the same issue, was it ever fixed?? and if so, does anyone know how? (I read something being related to the butt, but that was all I could learn about the problem)

I'll post screenshots showing the problem I'm having at a later time, but in short, this is not a texture map issue at all. Also tried rotating 180º, totally screwed the body shadows (which would be expected, because I didnt changed the RGB values on the normals). I'm using the FS maps as default, havent even bothered in re-doing the UV map yet, and the penis, in a 90º degree angle looks fine. Even some placeholder animations I did for testing purposes (increasing the length and swinging side to side) don't show any problem at all. Its just the freaking bend (X axis rotation) that causes it.

Thanks for your suggestion Belisario, any idea is worth testing at this point

Could the shadow thing have anything to do with collision objects?

Since it is moving and all, I am pretty sure you'd need some special collision objects for it.

Shadows may be caused by real time lighting getting blocked by a collision box or something.

Not sure about this, as I haven't seen a screenshot, don't know what kind of collision objects you use, or anything like that.

I could imagine it having a very small collision object just to make sure it doesn't collide with everything. In that case I doubt it would be that kind of issue.

Maybe because of the animations the collision object grows in some cases, which could explain it too.

Not entirely sure again, as collision objects shouldn't usually block light, but might if it isn't actually seen as the collision object for the penis. Just throwing some idea's out there...

No, I don't think so, simply because the penis rig doesnt have any collision objects on it, but I've already thought about a similar hypothesis, although it won't explain why the shadow does not appear indoors: Shadow could be being caused by the 1rst person camera or maybe some other object, present in the scene. Anyway here are some shots so ppl can get a better picture of what the shadow looks. Its just a placeholder animation, that just bends up and down. Also, the body is just a "parallel" project body shape I'm developing together with SOS (its basically a 2nd morph target to the base shape, that "extends" the apparent weight setting). I'm also doing a regular body shape (Better Males FS mesh) which is not shown here. I also scaled the rig 2 times, so the shadow can be better seen (1x is a rather smallish penis).

shadowshots.jpg?token_hash=AAGEn91tWyCFe

As you can see, indoors the shadows look normal/natural-ish, as opposed to outdoors

Just guessing: You have 4 bones attached to the penish mesh (spine1, pelvis, both thight), plus 2 more new bones which does the penis animation.

A piece of info from niftools forums: weird shadowing on the mesh when looking at it ingame on outside -------------------- reduce the amount of bones affected by rigging from 20 to 4 and remove zero vertices with a % less than a 0.something of your choice

So I have 1 suggestion: delete spine1 and L thight bones on the penish mesh, or make sure there are no weight on those bones.

If the eclipse doesn't vanish, I would like to take a look to the nif file. Can you upload it somewhere or PM it to me?

Thats not it Belisario, although when I found that solution about 1-2 weeks ago, I was almost sure that was the problem. Now I'm sure it isnt (well almost sure), because I already screwed the weight paints on purpose, and the effect has nothing to do with the present situation:

- My issue is: there's a shadow being cast, but its a "stable" shadow, like if there is some object ecclipsing the light

- After screwing with the weight paints: the shadow is not uniform, its scattered and constantly flickers just with the idle movement from the character (this flickering does not happen on the nifs used to take the above screens)

I did checked and double checked the weights from the vertex in 3DS weight table, none of them had more then 4 bones on it. and besides, I'm sure I used in the exporter the option to set the max bones split per vertex to 4 (which is the default value anyway), so even then, it would made no sense. I also discarded the possibility of being something with my graphic card, since Smurf already tested it yesterday, and he got the same issue.

Right now, I'm investigating the elf CTD crash (which seems to be the same issue that CHSBHC had, before CH disabled the butt physics). From everthing I've read, I suspect that the game engine may be very picky to new bones/meshes/weights when attached to the pelvis node, which could make the project partially incompatible with elfs (it only affects the player, NPCs when naked dont cause CTDs). The problem is not the skeleton.nif per se, but when the bones on the skeleton nif get skinned to the geometry nif.  I'll gladly send you the nifs after these tests I'm doing, probably tomorrow.

Just a small update:

- I still don't know how and what Smurf did, but he sent me a gif, and he seemed to have fixed the shadow thingy (very curious about what he did though)

- I also managed to solve the Elf CTD issues (for future references, and if anyone wants to re-enable the butt physics on CHBSHC, since from what I read, CH never got to fix that elf crash thingy, its just a matter of doing new AA for the NakedTorsoElf parts, and disabling the ones from Bethesda)

So, this means that after a few weeks of head bashing, we are back on track to continue the development of the mod =)

Thanks for both B3lisario and NBIemand, who kindly offered your help with suggestions on how to solve this =)

Dang that AA thing is brilliant and it helps fix a bunch of stuff. Any idea why it was affecting it though? It seems to just be using the femalebody_ like normal. It also explains why the body shows up in some of the first person views; no first person body is specified for either elf race, so its probably loading the third person one as a substitute.

I can't wait until you have finished this mod. Just one question, I can't remember if you said it or not, but will this skeleton and animations work on any body mod (eg Sundracon's Nude Uncut, which is the one I use)?

Also is there a less bulky version of the body you used, I ask because unlike Sundracon's it looks like the penis wasn't glued on afterwards...

@Canderes:

I'm glad that info was useful to you. I was just so WTF??? that I started by doing a duplicate race from a non-CTD, and step by step changing the armors involved, thats how I figure it out... Its pretty lame... I would never have thought it was something so simple, since the form looks like from any other race, and I was using the exact same mesh. My guess is there must be some hidden data in the original form, that we cant see in the UI, that is causing those CTDs with certain bodies.

@Umbratotalus

Yes, and no. Although I've already replied to that issue several times, I'm going to explain it again:

SOS is intended to work as a framework for other modders, to allow them to easily build plugins for all and every body type. So some tweaks will be required on the body mesh ofc, and some patience when doing the weight maps. I choose to work with Better Males FS body, simply because its a more detailed mesh, so its possibilities are greater then Bethesda's/Sundracon's/Robert's meshes. But its perfectly possible for modders to do a Sundracon Plugin... or a CHBSHC... or UNP... or any other body (although it will work better in biped skeletons/meshes). After the initial v2.00 release, my priority will be to add support for the Vampire Lord and Werewolf skeletons/meshes.

And like I stated previously, I have two bodies, both based on Better Males FS (with some minor tweaks), a default version, and a bulkier version, so users are able to pick either one. Ofc both meshes will need to be adapted for the armors/clothes, but thats a second phase, and probably something easier for other modders to do aswell. I'll even provide a part of my work file that has 3 keyshapes (0 weight, 100 default weight, and 100 bulkier weight) so ppl can do it more easily. ANother thing I'd like to point out is that the Bulkier version at 50% weight is roughly the default one at 100%, so you can still have the same look even when using the bulked version (NPCs ofc, will retain their original weight).

Archived