Creating an animated penis

Gayton Kerslut

Ok so the ctd was due to the high elf and wood elf trying to use the third person body with the vanilla first person skeleton. The reason it ctds is because the first skeleton is missing bones added to the third person skeleton provided by tbbp/chsbhc/whatever. Using a body rigged to the default skeleton from the game does not ctd for that reason since the third and first person skeletons are exactly the same. Just fixing the armor addon for those two (nakedtorsohighelf, nakedtorsowoodelf) is enough though to carry over for whatever body is applied including the ones that have the butt bones. No male body has used custom skeletons, but the same problem occurs if you have unrecognized bones. I'll just leave this here if anyone else needs it. Thanks again vector for fixing a very annoying problem.

ElfBodyFix.zip

Thanks a lot for the clean fix canderes!

Because this thread is about animation you might like to se some actual movement.

Here is a little sneak peek of vectors latest efforts to tweak the vertex weights, utilizing his test animation!

Please do not hesitate to praise him, and sorry for the huge gifs.

post-27765-0-85033100-1363571008_thumb.gif

post-27765-0-82340100-1363571158_thumb.gif

Wow that's great. Are you using bones and animations baked into a single nif or did you go and add the bones to the original skeleton manually? I was able to figure out how that katana had a skinned and animated handle, so you could add bones independent of the skeleton, but it has mixed results. I'll post a bit of what I've discovered about it when I get a skinned mesh working without having it bound to any actor skeleton.

Scratch that you can't have skinned meshes. You can add bones and have objects parented to them, but nothing can be skinned to them; I was able to get some crappy wings to flap without changing the skeleton. Gonna have to keep looking I guess.

The way we are doing this is having it work like the tail on khajiits/argonians. You still need to have all the Havok shenanigan, but there are some advantages:

- No need to edit default(fe)male.hkx, meaning that FNIS is not required to have it working

- Although the skeleton nif needs to be prepared (added new bones) for the Havok Assets to work, these assets can be used by any other actor. Thats why it will be fairly easy to adapt them to other races.

- Its possible to "propagate" events. This means that if the default actor and the sub-actor (in this case, the penis), have the same event name, both events will be played simultaneously. This is useful, if I want to play a specific animation when the character sneaks for example. All you need to do is give the exact same name of the event used on the default(fe)male.hkx

- Since the hkx project is specified by the mesh nif file, we can even have different genitals meshes, with a different hkx project, meaning that that specific Schlong plugin, can have its own behaviors and set of animations. Although most animations should be fairly "universal" for all the schlongs.

If you want to make flapping wings, then this is the way to go. Although we had a hard time to figure out all this havok shit, once you figure it out, it becomes very simple

VectorPlexus do you plan releasing some kind of tutorial on how you obtained such animations?

From what i understand your mod is kind of a breakthrough in Skyrim animation system.

No, its not any breakthrough at all. Its was just the design I've chosen to implement, which is the same design in Khajiit and Argonian tails. hypothetically, this design can be applied to add new bones without messing around with the default(fe)male.hkx behavior files (a different edited skeleton.nif is still required). This allows for any body parts to be added, without modding the original Havok files from Bethesda (which is what FNIS does). But this also means that the new body part (in this case, the penis) is also able to "inherit" events send to the main character (PC or NPC). A small example, is, I could set an event behavior on the penis behavior files, named SneakMTIdle. Since the game sends that event to the main character whenever he sneaks, if the penis is set to have an event with the EXACT same name and a corresponding animation, that animation is played aswell

This design however, only works for "attached" body parts. New events and new animations for the deafult(fe)male character will still require FNIS. The good part in this, is that probably ppl will be able to use FNIS for Modders aswell, to add behaviors/events and animations to. For example, I could setup specific events to allow specific animations to work with Mini Lovers or any other sex mod, only thing needed, is to have an event with the exact same name as the event being played by the character, and have a specific animation played for that event.

As I stated before, this design structure is excellent for adding new body parts, not present in the default Havok files, because you can easily make them use the default behaviors. Wings, tails, boobs, penises, hair, tentacles whatever... 

Because this thread is about animation you might like to se some actual movement.

Here is a little sneak peek of vectors latest efforts to tweak the vertex weights, utilizing his test animation!

Holy cow, this rocks ! :D

I love how they are just standing there "like what" completely expressionless like their cocks do that all the time and it is perfectly natural.  I have to say I laughed my ass off but the animation quality is brilliant and I would like to heap some praise on you as you have done a fantastic job so far!!

Absolutely brilliant :)

Sorry to keep bugging you but I've been reading that havok converter thread and I'm curious about one thing. I know your supposed to rebuild the rig from scratch with the bones, rigid bodies, constraints and whatnot, but I've been trying to export the skeleton only for testing purposes. I used maxscript to rebuild the beast skeleton so it doesn't have the bones jutting off to the right because of the orientation issue, but whenever I import a model the skinning never works correctly. I'm just curious as to if you still have the bones pointing off to the right, or if you reconstructed the skeleton like the red one below. Skinning meshes is such a bitch and the only one that the models seem to work with correctly is the one you import from the game. It's also confusing as hell to look at the skeleton because of all the links. I'll throw my script up or a scene if I can get this shit fixed. I hate using the regular skeletons. Please post a picture of your max scenes so I can know if I'm doing this correctly or not.

After rereading that thread a few times I'm also curious as to if your adding your bones manually to the xml version of the skeleton through a hex/xml editor. Are you guys doing that or have you found another way to do it?

post-15159-0-71063400-1364076150_thumb.png

the difference between the first and the middle one is just a viisual option no? I've woked with both viisuals, and both work. The third skeleton looks more like a "skeleton" from skinned partitions. My workflow is a bit wonky, because I only moved to 3DS to implement the Havok part. The original rig was done and exported on blender with some "tweaks". I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but this is what worked for me:

After exporting the new rig, I had the Bethesda Skeleton and my new skeleton (devoided of any collision stuff, just the bare bones). Then I had to make sure, that all the bones up to the pelvis, had the exact same location (use and play with the Transform -> Apply, right clicking on the parent bones). when I got the pelvis exactly like in Bethesda Skeleton, I just selected my most top bone from the Penis Rig (NPC Genitals Base) copied from one nif, selected the pelvis in the original behesda, and just pasted. Then I had to rename all the bones properly ofc (when you select a bone, you have that txt litle icon, if you click it, allows to change the name). After that I still added some dummy lag bones, bla blah.

When skinning, I always use that skeleton.nif I created. But if just want to translate bones, you dont need to import/export to either blender/3DS... just use nifskope

I hope I was clear, in any case feel free to bug me again

EDIT: Also, there is a small issue with 3DS nif Tools, that sometimes screws up the skeleton import, if that happens, just try to re-import it again. Also avoid using the "sort bones" option on export, as I think that is possible for the bone order to affect how the bones get parented aswell.

Well yeah I thought they were exactly the same because I used absolute coordinates when I made the skeleton, so there is perfect overlap on pivots and transforms. I used the point of the parent bones as the starting point of the bones and coordinates of the child as the end of the bone, but when I look at the pivots this happens. I might be able to fix that on my own, so I'll just ignore this for now.

Ok so if I'm understanding this correctly, you made a second skeleton with no collision objects and you carried over your new nodes from that skeleton to the beth skeleton using nifskope? You added them to the file and setup the correct parent/child branches (parented to pelvis) renamed bones and then saved the edited bethesda skeleton?

Forgot to add my image my bad.

Forgot that's local pivot in the image.

post-15159-0-05081600-1364085104_thumb.png

yes and no. let me be more specific:

Although they're all HKX files, they are different "file types", that serve different purposes. I'm gonna use as an example the Tail Project in the Meshes/Auxbones/Tail, since it becomes clearer, because that folder only contains the Havok files for a single character (The Tail)

first you'll notice that you have 4 folders:

- Animations

- Behaviors

- Character (this is where the character hkx is stored. the character file, as I see it, acts as library reference file, where the assets, animations and behavior files are specified)

- Character Assets (character assets is where assets like skeleton.hkx are referenced. Other references may also include ragdolls and/or meshes)

Besides these 4 folders (each having a "sub-type" hkx) you will also have inside Meshes/Auxbones/Tail, a TailProject.hkx. This is just an index file, that specifies the Character hkx.

So, every project, has this same structure, and all the project is "built" with HBT (Havok Behavior Tools). This is true to the Project/Character/Behavior HKX. However, Character Assets and Animations HKX, must be done using HCT 2010.2.0-r1 (Havok Content Tools), which can be downloaded freely from Havoks page.

But after reading your msg reply, if what you want to do is add simple bones (rather then adding a whole new character), I'd advise you to go with the same structure design we are building for SOS, because that way you dont need to edit any behavior files on default(fe)male. 

But, if what you want to do is add some physics to stuff like earrings/hair etc... all you'll need is just edit the skeleton(beast).nif and add lag bones to it, no need to go over Havok stuff. If you need to make more complex or specific animations, then Havok is required.

Also I'm not sure if I have mentioned this before, but lets take the example of that test animation posted by smurf. I just named the event on the behavior file to "MT_Idle". Since the game sends an event with the exact name to the Actor, if I had several "body parts" with an event with that exact name, all would play whenever the actor entered in an idle state.

EDIT:

One more thing I forgot to mention: If you absolutely want/need to edit behavior files, get CondenseBehavior from Fore at the nexus, it really helps you understanding the HKX structure, without all the XML chaos.

Thanks for the info I was able to fix the pivot problem and I'm working on setting up the constraints correctly. This is really tedious, but once I finish I'll put this up as a mod resource to save whoever is curious a ton of headaches and time. I'll get around to looking at the behavior files for the tails once I am able to add a bone successfully to the skeleton. I'm also curious to see if breakable constraints can work for broken bones ingame.

Just to post a pic from a new shape I did (a bit more flat and lumpy). Also, redid the UVs, so now the genitals rely on an independent set of textures. I will also provide new body textures that I redid (based on the ones from Better Males FS), so the penis base and body blend almost perfectly. This shape was also to show others a more extreme (and yet animated) solution that some ppl were interested in:

medium_5388-280313185924.png

So now I will dive into the dreaded esm/esps, to refit the code to v2.00, which will enable the animations... which will be a bit hard... not really a programmer xP

So the last thing I need to do is add secondary root nodes, but I have no clue how to do that. Were you able to export an hkx with the cloak, tail, and all the other roots? The havok converter thread mentions the prune types filter for this, but adding any of the secondary roots in the bottom box doesn't do anything. I can kill actors and the ragdoll functions properly with all the new constraints, but no animations play for anyone using the skeleton.hkx.

Wow actually I was able to get it to work and I reduced the size of the skeleton.hkx down to 28kb. I've been running the game fine without the secondary root nodes, but I'd like to get those on in the case that they do have some effect on the game. I haven't added any new bones to the nif or the hkx though, so now its experimentation time. If it's any easier for you I could just add the bones you need for this rig so you don't need to go the tail/scripting route, but I need to get those other nodes added.

I'm a little confused by your last post Canderes... First, I suppose the secondary bones you're talking about, are the floats. If thats the case, the HCT should add them automatically, from the bones in the scene, that are not listed in the first list box/rig.

About the tail/scripting route, if you are talking about adding our penis rig to a full default character, I really dont want that. I actually spent quite some time studying how this design structure (the tail) worked mainly for 2 reasons:

- Making a mod that can use the same havok assets across several Characters (the default body, giants, falmers, whatever)

- Making a mod that would work without FNIS being required.

Also this framework will also allow for us to have Addon plugins for the core mod, that may have different animations and behavior files. Its much more versatile then if I used the default (fe)male skeleton, and leads to less hassle, imo.

But, I havent yet really got seriously into constrains and ragdolls (tried briefly for some times, no luck), so I may pick your mind at a later time =)

cheers!

Archived