Windows 7 , 8 , Or 8.1

Dee383

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and have been for every computer I have bought (that's around 5) and have played an almost indefinite amount of games with it with no problems.

I have however purchased an all-in-one C540 from Lenovo, which has Windows 8 installed. I mainly used it for work, however I have to say that windows 8 is the most pointless and (imo) useless thing ever. All it does is add some silly touch screen thing that has lots of little gaming apps (mostly children games) and shortcuts to the internet e.t.c. In fact, whenever I turned it on I just swished it aside, which brought me to the desktop, and resumed like my other windows 7 computer (once on the desktop there's not that much difference to windows 7).

So yeah, apart from all the rampage in that last paragraph windows 7 is the most no-nonsense imo.

+1 to all of the above.

W7x64, Pro or Ultimate.  Would say this over and over until I'm blue in the face.  I have never seen a middling machine like mine do stuff so quickly, the only other machines I've ever seen generally function so quickly are those massively overpriced Macbook "Pro"s and the Samsung Galaxy S5 (which I think might be more powerful than this desktop I'm currently using, bar graphics).

And put your pagefile on a separate physical disk to the system disk.  Maybe everyone does this already, I just have and it makes a noticeable difference.

For games, windows 7 x64 updated to SP1.

Microsoft has a cycle of one good operation system, and one pathetic (like a trigonometric function). Windows Vista was shit, windows XP was the gamer standard during the 2000's. The next windows probably will be a good one, but the true is that Windows 8 is a crap like windows vista was.

And for anything else, I recommend a Debian distro, like Mint (for a stable OS) or Ubuntu if you want all the fancy stuff....

Unfortunately when I did order my computer(last year) , I took windows 8 >.>  ( I did chek like 5 times ealier before taking 7 and when I did finally order 8 like an ass... epic fail!) So well windows 8 Is nothing more than a bad version of seven converted to phone. Seriously this annoying menu with all the apps... Well I did broke my windows application I can't even update  to 8.1 since I did almost everything I could to tweak things and other and I did some shit and revome shit also.

Anyway don't take windows 8 ( Well about gaming I did had almost no problem just 10 blue screens of the death in bit more than 1 year but I did prefer my laptop under seven no problem when I had it )

Im using windows 8.1 it's doing its job and easy to use but windows 7 was still alot better in many ways.

I have used windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1 with my current system and windows 8.1 and don't see much improvement with speed.

I hope windows 9 which will have start back will be alot better then windows 8.1 and will be as good as windows 7(best of all windows so far 2000 was also very good after terible windows 98).

So if you get windows 7 SP1 64BIT i say go for it, but windows 8.1 also doing job just fine.

Im using windows 8.1 it's doing its job and easy to use but windows 7 was still alot better in many ways.

I have used windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1 with my current system and windows 8.1 and don't see much improvement with speed.

I hope windows 9 which will have start back will be alot better then windows 8.1 and will be as good as windows 7(best of all windows so far 2000 was also very good after terible windows 98).

So if you get windows 7 SP1 64BIT i say go for it, but windows 8.1 also doing job just fine.

Start button can be emulated, the failure to execute legacy software under Dx9.0B or earlier can't.

Unfortunately when I did order my computer(last year) , I took windows 8 >.>  ( I did chek like 5 times ealier before taking 7 and when I did finally order 8 like an ass... epic fail!) So well windows 8 Is nothing more than a bad version of seven converted to phone. Seriously this annoying menu with all the apps... Well I did broke my windows application I can't even update  to 8.1 since I did almost everything I could to tweak things and other and I did some shit and revome shit also.

Anyway don't take windows 8 ( Well about gaming I did had almost no problem just 10 blue screens of the death in bit more than 1 year but I did prefer my laptop under seven no problem when I had it )

Shirow.. try memtest. Free program on the web. I had a similar issue and found my very good high quality ram was bad. Stress test the ram using that program for a few hours. If there is any errors get the ram changed. This is especially true if the frequency of blue screens ocur more and more often. Could be other things but many I know runing windows 8 don't have crashes with a properly configured system. ( unless you truly did break the OS with your tweaks if so reimage back and try again).

Finally I believe you can upgrade to 8.1. There are a few RL friends that game ( heavily) some even mod. They use 8.1 or win 7. Those that used 8 moved to 8.1 as it is much improved user experience start button and all that. If you re-image your computer back you should be able to upgrade to 8.1. There are mod creators and moderators here that use 8.1 without many problems.

I hear though the grape vine.. ;) that window 9 will be returning to a more desktop experience ( option) that is better and more like windows 7.

8.1 on the gaming/HTPC machine, 7 on the home office, laptop and back up desktop.  I had to upgrade to Windows 8 because Netflix will only support 5.1 soundtrack and has more HD content in Metro. 

To be honest, Vista/Millenium comparison is unfair because 8.1 feels much better under the hood than 7 (could also be that the machine it's on has the most updated hardware).  The problem is the UI and the splintering of Windows apps.  It's like going back 20 years to DOS and Windows 3.1.  I am sure the crippling of desktop UI was intentional.

As for gaming I don't see a difference between 7 and 8 but I haven't gamed on my Windows 7 machines in almost 2 years.

Archived