Windows 7 , 8 , Or 8.1

Dee383

*Snap*

With all respect, fuck win8

I fixed to many pc's with this shit of piece garbage space wasting fucking retarded backwater useless crap that I won't even dare to think about recommend it for anyone.

Most of the problems aren't with games, only a few..., after that you can dislike the "tablet mod" (start menu ) of windows 8 but still you can do some tweak, other things and this can be as good as windows 7.

Most of the time, people don't know how to use internet in general and get viruses,trojan,spyware etc... And a lot of people are now going on a windows 8 that's why you'll have to fix them...

Start menu.

So... Don't click it? Just go back to the desktop? It takes one click or button press to open it and one click or button press to close it.

With all respect, fuck win8

I fixed to many pc's with this shit of piece garbage space wasting fucking retarded backwater useless crap that I won't even dare to think about recommend it for anyone.

That's quite the overreaction you have there. What problems are you having with it?

I personally recommend using MS-DOS 6.22. It's much better than previous miscrosoft operating systems.

Now that is a solid OS.. ;).

When I first tried Windows 95, I ran it in DOS mode for months before I decided to bite the bullet and try learning this newfangled non-text GUI. And I still prefer programming in a Linux console to using an IDE, is that weird?

I personally recommend using MS-DOS 6.22. It's much better than previous miscrosoft operating systems.

Now that is a solid OS.. ;).

When I first tried Windows 95, I ran it in DOS mode for months before I decided to bite the bullet and try learning this newfangled non-text GUI. And I still prefer programming in a Linux console to using an IDE, is that weird?

No. More control and more understanding exactly what is being done in the background. Besides it usually is quite quick using consoles as opposed to the overhead of GUI.

I think that everyone already expressed the good and the bad part of windows vista/7/8/future 9 etc. And the original creator of this topic now have more than enough information to decide what OS he/she will buy.

And is time that we leave him/her alone to make his/her own decision.

I think that everyone already expressed the good and the bad part of windows vista/7/8/future 9 etc. And the original creator of this topic now have more than enough information to decide what OS he/she will buy.

And is time that we leave him/her alone to make his/her own decision.

Yea the OP has his/her answer found here.  I am glad that the info in this thread was useful for the OP however others might need to discuss and ask questions on the same subject instead of creating a new OP for essentially the same subject started by the OP ;).

It is perfectly legitimate for members to continue to discuss the various windows options and benefits and drawbacks.

Yes gentleman, you are right. As long the topic doesn't became an eternal and useless discussion between windows user, this is, as you point correctly, a valid place to discuss opinions on the subject.

And I was afraid to suggest the use of Linux Mint because I though it will restart the eternal fight between Windows and Linux users  :s

Guest endgameaddiction

it's better to have 100 responds even if it's just point of views instead of having 100 views and no response. As long as it doesn't derail or turn into a flame war on the discussion it gives the OP a better insight on people's opinion which can be held accountable while researching the web for other opinions and can match them together and come to a conclusion.

Yes gentleman, you are right. As long the topic doesn't became an eternal and useless discussion between windows user, this is, as you point correctly, a valid place to discuss opinions on the subject.

And I was afraid to suggest the use of Linux Mint because I though it will restart the eternal fight between Windows and Linux users  :s

Yep that would likely be better in a thread in itself... :D.

However I agree with you.. perhaps better not to compare the two OS's. Perhaps better with a thread devoted to the "flavors" or "distros" of Linux and which one is better. I would like a thread like that.

Of course with the "eternal and useless discussion" aspect of responses to threads. .. ultimately that decision ends up in the Moderator/Admin's lap. They will kill a thread when it it has had its proper time. ;).. If it just don't die on its own.  Take the Banned from Nexus thread for example.

Having recently purchased a new Laptop, for playing Skyrim the biggest difference between Windows 7 and 8.1 is getting used to the differences in opening folders to view files. The Game does load scripts slower on My Laptop than My Desktop, but the difference is primarily due to the processor speed, a 2.4 GHz processor will always be slower than a 3.5 GHz processor..

Many of the Apps can be disabled and are pointless for Gaming PC, but I have found some of them useful.

Having recently purchased a new Laptop, for playing Skyrim the biggest difference between Windows 7 and 8.1 is getting used to the differences in opening folders to view files. The Game does load scripts slower on My Laptop than My Desktop, but the difference is primarily due to the processor speed, a 2.4 GHz processor will always be slower than a 3.5 GHz processor..

Many of the Apps can be disabled and are pointless for Gaming PC, but I have found some of them useful.

Sorry but you are wrong :)

Windows 8.1 is easy to use but if i could i go back to windows 7 in heart beat.

I'm using windows 8.1 now for few months and the speed is not much faster then windows 7 i have both windows tested on this system i have now and it maybe go 1 second faster to desktop and im loading maybe fraction faster which is not a big deal.

Benchmark both windows 7 and windows 8.1 and it's only a slight difference in speed at least for my system.

It's in many ways stupid design with tiles and apps and start up page for desktop but you get use it eventually or just place win7 shell over it.

But as i know now windows 9 go back to win7 in many ways and again be purely made for desktop.

Windows 8.1 is not big deal and easy to use but if you have windows 7 i say stay at windows 7 no need to change just wait for windows 9 next year.

Please explain how an i-7 4700HQ with a stock laptop cooler can be faster than an i-7 4770K in a liquid cooled desktop for playing Skyrim on almost identical Mod Managers, and two very similiar OS's. Granted I did not specify the procesors in My OP, but I am curious why You underlined what You underlined?

I'm using windows 8.1 now for few months and the speed is not much faster then windows 7 i have both windows tested on this system i have now and it maybe go 1 second faster to desktop and im loading maybe fraction faster which is not a big deal.

Benchmark both windows 7 and windows 8.1 and it's only a slight difference in speed at least for my system.

It's in many ways stupid design with tiles and apps and start up page for desktop but you get use it eventually or just place win7 shell over it.

But as i know now windows 9 go back to win7 in many ways and again be purely made for desktop.

Windows 8.1 is not big deal and easy to use but if you have windows 7 i say stay at windows 7 no need to change just wait for windows 9 next year.

I still prefer 7 to 8.1. I am willing to say I prefer Vista to 8.1. I started install any Games outside of Program Files prior to Vista and never had any UAC issues. I will upgrade My new Laptop to 9, but My Desktop will still be running on 7.

Off Topic, I do enjoy Your screenshots in the Show Your Skyrim Counterpart Thread.

Please explain how an i-7 4700HQ with a stock laptop cooler can be faster than an i-7 4770K in a liquid cooled desktop for playing Skyrim on almost identical Mod Managers, and two very similiar OS's. Granted I did not specify the procesors in My OP, but I am curious why You underlined what You underlined?

Yep that one will be faster, but pentium 3 3.0 will be slower than i5 2.7 :P

Or one core amd  2.7 1600 64

Also there is huge difference between cores it can be same model but different core thus one with same speed can be faster.

I still prefer 7 to 8.1. I am willing to say I prefer Vista to 8.1. I started install any Games outside of Program Files prior to Vista and never had any UAC issues. I will upgrade My new Laptop to 9, but My Desktop will still be running on 7.

Off Topic, I do enjoy Your screenshots in the Show Your Skyrim Counterpart Thread.

8.1 Enterprise, and I love it.

Honestly, once you get past the Start screen (which I actually love since I got all my games added as tiles!) it's basically Windows 7, but faster and with a few (fairly minor) nice tweaks. Oh, and I much prefer the new version of Aero (is it still Aero?). I was never a fan of Windows 7's faux glass look.

As far as I'm concerned, there is absolutely no reason not to use Windows 8.1 with a new build.

It's not just processor speed (even if you put two CPUs -- a decade apart -- with the same frequency, say, 3.0Ghz, the newer processor will win), but also the motherboard and processor architecture (we see why there are more IntelVidias in PC gaming), the maximum bandwidth, memory bandwidth (DDR3 > DDR2), and other factors, including additional hardware such as improved GPUs. Also, how the cores and threads are utilized by a program depends on how it was written.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth

I have a 4-core processor, and I have yet to have any games use more than 2 cores at a shot. Granted, I'm a few years outdated (my newest game is Skyrim), but I can't think it's common practice yet, for games to use all possible cores full-time. I can't think of any mechanics that might work faster when calculations run in parallel like that. Physics, yes, and graphics definitely, but graphics are handled by the GPU... 

Am I wrong? What games out there do use several cores as a matter of course, say maybe at least 30% of the time or more?

8.1 Enterprise, and I love it.

Honestly, once you get past the Start screen (which I actually love since I got all my games added as tiles!) it's basically Windows 7, but faster and with a few (fairly minor) nice tweaks. Oh, and I much prefer the new version of Aero (is it still Aero?). I was never a fan of Windows 7's faux glass look.

As far as I'm concerned, there is absolutely no reason not to use Windows 8.1 with a new build.

Aero was removed and replaced by this simpler, clean, more lightweight UI, which I also prefer.

The only reason I wouldn't recommend 8.1 is if you already have 7, because you might as well wait for 9 at this point.

Archived