• 2 weeks later...

"If you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao,  you ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow."

- The Beatles, "Revolution"

(I know its not Mao, but I can't think of a similar lyric or other quote about Stalin, and this isn't the place for a more serious response.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 9/7/2021 at 4:31 AM, sonia82sarkar said:

The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.

Of course that is still one hundred percent true today, but we now have a much bigger problem. The anonymity of the internet. Here everyone can tell any nonsense, be politically incorrect, spread their hatred and remain completely anonymous. No neighbor, no family member, no work colleague finds out when I spread hate and lies on the internet and that is the danger of our century.

To believe that patriotism will not flourish if patriotic ceremonies are voluntary and spontaneous, instead of a compulsory routine, is to make an unflattering estimate of the appeal of our institutions to free minds.

- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Robert Jackson (with regards to the insistence on worshiping, and at the same time commercializing, the U.S. flag)

• 2 weeks later...

I could post an entire page of Nietzsche so let's keep it to the basics.

"God is dead, we've killed him."
It's actually a warning nobody understood, a tragedy of the century. Which is why I love it so much.

I also love this quote from Machiavelli. Back before the lockdown, my younger, inexperienced colleagues at work sometimes pour their hearts out to me about how life is unfair or how they are being bullied or taken advantaged off & they don't want to do anything bad because they don't want to be looked bad. I've grown to like this particular quote because I got to use it a lot.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires.”

Like, don't be good to people who are bad to you because you're afraid you'll look bad. Sometimes people need to be reminded of something obvious.

Edited by Lyman the Lunatic
grammartical errors
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/20/2021 at 10:49 AM, stingray1995 said:

"I keep forgetting that you're still alive." — Elon Musk to Bernie Sanders

I always let out a chuckle when I recall that one.

On 11/20/2021 at 11:02 AM, eliah64 said:

☝️“I know you love to suck my dick, but I'll put it in your mouth when I want it there. You don't give me pleasure, do you understand? I take it from you.” -― M. Pierce

Master tells me similar things to put me in my place when I'm acting too dumb. I like that quote, is it from a book or some other thing...?

Mine:

-Sex:

Spoiler

"Ferry me over the edge, My Charon. Dissolve My Soul into the Styx."

~Idyll

It's something I came up with that somehow somewhat impressed Master; one time I was irritating Master so I was ordered to take the lead and that's some of the best I could come up - lest I'd face punishment.

-Generally:

Spoiler

"You know the handcuff trick?"

~Lupin (Netflix)