IGNORED

Complaints or requests from non-modders.

In my opinion, as somebody who's been a "content creator" online in one form or another practically my internet life:

To put it simply, if you can't learn to both take valid criticism and ignore unreasonable or rude individuals; you should not be creating content online in any form.

You can't ignore criticism or you'll never improve and reach a wider audience, but you also can't take every negative comment, insult, or unreasonable request to heart or you'll quickly burn out.

I recommend writing three responses, but *if you can* don't send any of them until you are done with all three and are calmed down. I don't always do this, sometimes I have to edit my responses after the fact, and that's embarrassing.

If someone manages to offend me in their criticism, my first response is generally escalatory and inflammatory. By the time I'm on the second response, I've usually thought through their comment enough to have a meaningful, if testy, response.

By the time I'm working on my third response, my brain is usually back in the drivers seat and I can really decide whether the issue they raised is valid and whether they meant to cause offense, or just did so inadvertently.

Kinda new to modding so I wanted to ask the more experienced people here.

How do you respond to the following from non-modders:

1. Complaints about your mod (whether justified or not).
  2. Unrealistic, or unreasonable change requests.

It just depends on how the person is doing it. If English isn't his or her normal language then you get even more problems due to language barrier.

We have seen how a simple criticism eventually led to flame war only because the person making the criticism did not articulate it correctly. or made it purposely to ignite a flame to begin with. In that case it is better not to say anything then say something bad and regret it later.

Keep in mind that words from 1 language can be intrepid as full insult in a another language even if it is not what you meant etc.

Also keep in mind there are many people in this world who always are ready to criticize others, yet when someone makes one back to the person he suddenly makes that worse then it is. In that case it was best to such a person to just shut up never make one if he or she can't take it either..

If a complaint is valid then you fix it.  If the mod performs as intended and people complain that moves into critism.  There are plenty of know-nothing mod critics so be prepared.  I always defend my mod upload pages against these sorts.  I see nothing wrong with quoting them and responding in a reasonable manner.  That's me being nice.   :)  Sometimes the polite route doesn't work.  If they are trolling/flaming I quote them and then report the post.  I don't respond to trolls/flamers in upload threads unless it is a situation that requires immediate action.

As for requests, I don't take requests posted publicly.  As for 'changes', I upload my content as is.  I have no concern for what other modders might or might not have changed in a game.

The one solid piece of advice I can give is NEVER mod for the masses.  Make the content YOU like for YOUR game and if you feel like sharing it, then do so.  You only have to please one person, and that is YOU.

imho there is one thing modders often forget: true, they put a lot of effort (most of them anyways...) into said mod, but if they dont at least try to create something decent, they are just wasting the other peoples times.

A "regular" person, with a full time job and a family has barely an hour a day for gaming. If you waste that hour testing a new mod with a fancy description, that proves to be crap, full of bugs / whatever, .. you know where Im going at.

People who mod often forget that there is some kind of responsibility in that. (at very least WARN people in the description, that your project is crap / WIP and thus full of bugs, or just not very well done - for whatever reasons). If those modders then act with a "dont like it dont use it" attitude, I would love to... *hug* them...

Guest endgameaddiction

Don't like it? Don't download. is usually said in a description when random members keep bugging the author to make changes or add variations to the mod.

Example: Xazomn textured the armor Ravishing Sin, which Riven1786 created the meshes for. When it was finally released, people kept bugging Xazomn about creating more variations. I remember Xaz getting annoyed because people didn't appreciate it for how it was made and kept bugging for variations, and she went out of her way to do this for the Nexus community. I don't know if she ever uploaded the variations as I haven't checked up on that mod, but my point is, it gets annoying when people are constantly bugging an author. So this type of attitude is acceptable. They aren't doing it to be a prick. They do it to warn people that they just don't want to be bothered with this. Many people on Nexus are just too ignorant to read through the description that they randomly start asking questions when the answer is right in front of them.

Don't take it personal. That's just the way it is.

imho there is one thing modders often forget: true, they put a lot of effort (most of them anyways...) into said mod, but if they dont at least try to create something decent, they are just wasting the other peoples times.

A "regular" person, with a full time job and a family has barely an hour a day for gaming. If you waste that hour testing a new mod with a fancy description, that proves to be crap, full of bugs / whatever, .. you know where Im going at.

People who mod often forget that there is some kind of responsibility in that. (at very least WARN people in the description, that your project is crap / WIP and thus full of bugs, or just not very well done - for whatever reasons). If those modders then act with a "dont like it dont use it" attitude, I would love to... *hug* them...

Totally irreverent, at the end of the day it is up to modders what they make and release. By downloading a mod you accept to take the risk that your time may be wasted. Besides different people like different stuff.

Anyone who ha beta tested anything will know that even the best mods when they first start out are buggy as well on release until people report bugs so they can be fixed.

While I agree that there should be a warning about it being buggy modders are in no way responsible for all bugs in a mod. Mod conflicts can cause some really weird bugs to appear even when the mod doesn't have bugs to begin with.

At the end of the day its up to the modders which direction they want to take a mod, not the users.

Totally irreverent, at the end of the day it is up to modders what they make and release. By downloading a mod you accept to take the risk that your time may be wasted. Besides different people like different stuff.

Anyone who ha beta tested anything will know that even the best mods when they first start out are buggy as well on release until people report bugs so they can be fixed.

While I agree that there should be a warning about it being buggy modders are in no way responsible for all bugs in a mod. Mod conflicts can cause some really weird bugs to appear even when the mod doesn't have bugs to begin with.

At the end of the day its up to the modders which direction they want to take a mod, not the users.

This is only true when modders give an accurate desciption of the mod.

Extreme (made up) example:

When a modder promises you a great storyline with new areas to explore and you find out that the great storyline consists of 2 sentence for which you had to run around 3 Real Life hours in already known vanilla dungeons, with no sign of any new areas, its just fucked up.

tbh I have never seen anything that harsh, but sadly many modders give very bad or extremly exagerated descrptions of their mods.

Oh and before you put me aside as a "non modding hater who doesnt know the other side"

I spent a couple of years modding for neverwinter Nights 1 and Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent worlds. And as such I TOTALLY understand the points that are made in this thread, I just had the feeling the other side of the coin wasnt mentioned and represented.

The one solid piece of advice I can give is NEVER mod for the masses.  Make the content YOU like for YOUR game and if you feel like sharing it, then do so.  You only have to please one person, and that is YOU.

this  :)

i made things for myself and will never share anything, reason for not sharing people always want more, make this body type, change this, make that, your mod sucks ect, you all know the drill  :angel:

+ i make only things if i feel up to it

Hi!

I'll have to disagree with you for the very same reason as yours.

Just like everyone else I mod things, firstly for myself, secondly my friends, lastly others.

While if some jerk comes out and starts jerking off my mod that would surly be dissapointing, it is not a serious deal.  On the other hand if they like and enjoy my mod I'd be more than happy, but again it's not why I do modding.

I can accept their criticism and opinion if I feel happy enough and think it's reasonable. And even if they badmouth my stuff in some inappropriate way, it's their opinion after all. I won't lose any sleep.

In short, Just wanted to say my opinion that never sharing things is bad. In my view you can enjoy all the mods now because many senior modders have decided to share their stuff. And that is what the community is for.

Ashal posted it best if you can't take critique or unresonable demends it is best to keep your stuff off-line to prevent further drama. But on the other hand people posting critique on mod authors and can't take the same critique back should not post anything online either...

But that is the responsibility of site owner allowing this to get out of hand. If this is kept in check people should not be afraid of releasing mods for other who enjoy it is the minority who killed it for the rest after all.

We can all see how quickly this can turn when viewing a site like nexus. The ban list growing even more i think that list supersedes the people who are a member there now.

Lol you are kidding right?

Sorry i don't agree at all.

If someone have 1 one hour to spent thats his problem not a modders problem.

Take it or leave i would say unless the modder in the readme lies and claim this mod can't realise then you have some right critize the mod maker.

I suggest go play with your wife and kids and leave modders and its community for those who appreciate the time effort many modders in making there mods and know it can be good or bad thats how it is and gaming with mods that take time.

No way modders have any responsibillity to take in concideration those who have less time for games.

Don't forget also most modders are just small time hobbyists who just happy releasing there mod into world hoping someone plays it, some exaggeration is logic even some small lies, no big deal there not proffesionals(btw proffesionals also lie alot and dont give whats promise but they get payed) amateur modders dont get ONE EUROCENT so give them some slag will yah ;)

Sorry if i offended you in any way but thats how i see this.

... at very least WARN people in the description, that your project is crap / WIP and thus full of bugs, or just not very well done - for whatever reasons ...

Ha! Great! I will put it im my mods description:

WARNING!

Playing this mod could be a waste of your precious time!

It is WIP, maybe full of bugs, could be better done and maybe it would have been better I hadn't wasted my time with modding.

So I humbly beg your pardon for makeing it.

Playing computer-games could be a waste of time ...

Watching internet boards could be a waste of time ...

Hey it's snowing, You could go outside and build a snowman, it's christmas time.

I am hoping that Discord12 is hampered by a language barrier.  Otherwise that is just a load of nonsense, buttered by BS.  Anyone smart enough to install a mod, damn well knows that they are taking a risk of messing up their game.  Don't want to take a risk....well don't install it.  Simple.

Yes, modders should report the "state" of their mod (alpha, beta, RC or whatever) so folks can make an informed decision as to the risk, but beyond that they don't have any obligations.  How could they?  Modders are not professionals that get PAID.  Before you install ANY mod in ANY state, YOU need to be making a backup of your game.  You MUST always assume that a mod WILL break your game or you will pay the price.

The bottom line of what folks need to understand is that modders make mods for THEMSELVES first in the vast majority of the cases.  That they share it with others is a pure benefit to the community.  The hands out "feed me" mentality has no place in the modding community.  

Posted · Hidden by DoctaSax, December 14, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by DoctaSax, December 14, 2013 - No reason given

Kinda new to modding so I wanted to ask the more experienced people here.

How do you respond to the following from non-modders:

1. Complaints about your mod (whether justified or not).
  2. Unrealistic, or unreasonable change requests.

Humn.

in extreme way:

08-May 13 Inappropriate Language 2

Calling a user a "furry faggot" for his taste in "furry" is not only stupid but homophobic, not to mention hypocrite in the extreme. People judge you on *your* tastes too you know.

Please avoid being offensive and reporting irrelevant matters in the future.

Channelor Kremlin.

21-August 13 Inappropriate Language 1

Hi Emily,

I hid the two posts on This report is regarding [MONSTER-GIRL] coc 1.3 (Patch 11.08.2013) yours and his. While he may have posted something completely irrelevant or gross you shouldn't insult a member. Report it as you did and we'll take care of the rest. I'm still unclear about the fact that he wanted to be Trolling or he really liked the pic... Sometimes culture and language make it difficult.

Cheers and good work on your mod!

Grumph

02-November 13 Other 3

You were already banned for posting starcraft rips before, doing it for fallout won't end any differently. This is the only warning you'll get.

Ashal

30-November 13 Other 2

You are given 2 more warning points for bringing up a way in thisthread to avoid the anti-child sex measures in sexout, as well as for taunting staff and regular members with the nature of the mods or versions of mods you can't upload here, and how unfair you think you've been treated so far. In addition you won't be able to post for a week, which is probably for your own good too.

Doctasax

:D Ah, shame that emily has retired now. It was fun while it last. All the these obscene moddings in the last 3 years was a total Innovation & Rampage as internet legend. Emily dabble in forbidden arts and hot property, it displeases & pleases many users, and different kind of people on her streak.

Like & Dislike.

That's their problem and opinion.

Emily don't value other people opinions.

She value other people experiences.

Because opinion & Judgement changes over time.

Posted · Hidden by BruceWayne, December 15, 2013 - Meh
Hidden by BruceWayne, December 15, 2013 - Meh

oh hey, where is emily post?

.. Removed by moderator, again?

Anyway, in short. If you don't like other people opinions or experience posted. The moderator can have them removed to keep things orderly like club bouncers. Works on emily, every time she have ark of truth and other haters posting his disapproval or heckling on her mod thread or common thread. Or anything that hinders your workspace, concept, plan, principality or any that support unnecessary arguments & attitude.

Just like emily previous post that was removed a minutes ago, Probably proves to be unproductive and explicit.

Because Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.

You don't need, People's opinions.

You Need Their Mistakes.

You need Their Experiences.

Because opinions from worthless people are Worthless.

-

Mein gud, that's twice now!

Fine fine, emily gave up.

-

THIS:

The bottom line of what folks need to understand is that modders make mods for THEMSELVES first in the vast majority of the cases.  That they share it with others is a pure benefit to the community.  The hands out "feed me" mentality has no place in the modding community.

I've read your post several times Discord12 and I still find it difficult to understand. Are you saying that one hour of a users times is more valuable than several days of a modders time?

That's what it sounds like to me  :dodgy:

I wish people would understand that it takes weeks for a beta of a mod to come out let alone a full version or stable version for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ragna_Rok

(at very least WARN people in the description, that your project is crap / WIP and thus full of bugs, or just not very well done - for whatever reasons)

most awesome advice ever ... :D

what about telling that the guy that made "Shadow Weapons Mod BETA VERSION", on nexus weapons section page 2? ... i loled so hard when it got released that i thought like: "jeez, write what you think and youre banned in no time" :lol:

Guest endgameaddiction

Can't be more solid than that.

I write music for myself. Care less if others like it, but if others do, that's a bonus. Now imagine if fans asked their fellow musician idols to change around bits a pieces of their song? That's why as any kind of artist you have to keep certain distance with your followers. Keep them close, but keep them out of your reach. So no matter how you look at it, modders are artists too. and we are either their fans or friends. Or both.

So if you don't like the mod for how it is, move on. Or be humble enough to ask for a request with a valid and reasonable meaning and cross your fingers the author will listen to your request. Sometimes a modder may have forgotten to include certain details in the description or readme.txt. Modders are humans too. But if it says WIP BETA or flat out written in sentence that the mod is unstable and still being worked on, then you should know the status upon it.

Guest corespore

I've only been modding for less than a month so i haven't had my first official troll (yet). But i have had requests to change aspects of some of my mods, for example, someone submitted an idea for an enchanted crossbow bolt which i made because i thought it was a great idea. They didn't like certain aspects of it but they were precise about what issues they had with it and were polite when suggesting changes they would have liked to seen. So i went back and redid that part of the mod according to their suggestions. I see nothing wrong with people not liking certain aspects of someones mod(s) and making suggestions on how to improve them but you can get far better responses from the modders when you treat them like a human rather than saying something to the effect of "your mods, buggy, glitchy, shitty, it crashes my game, etc etc". My dis-satisfaction with certain aspects of Skyrim is what got me into modding in the first place, not being happy with something can be a positive motivator and create good results, but tossing feces into the face of the people willing to do those changes for you is pointless. If you don't like a mod, OK then, be reasonable and give the modder the grace to be exact and honest about what you think is wrong so they can atleast try to fix the issues, nobody likes an unreasonable whiner.

Kendo's gives perhaps the best advice I've ever herd, if your going to get into modding you have to do it for you. If people like your work they will use it.....and for all the rest......