Complaints or requests from non-modders.

Guest Ragna_Rok

(at very least WARN people in the description, that your project is crap / WIP and thus full of bugs, or just not very well done - for whatever reasons)

hey, i did this in my "mudcrab armor" :) ... you know, like... "this armor is crab" ... "download if you like this crab" ... "was too lazy to set up the go files so itll look like normal armor when you drop it but uploaded it anyway because i didnt give a crab" ... "this armor is full of crab(s)"

at corespoe: well, its kinda frustrating when its a bad situation. imagine you bust your ass to make sth work, and it takes you weeks / months... you upload it somewhere to share without asking for anything, and the first dude comments "this is nice, but it would look better in red". or other stupid questions, like you upload a weapons pack with a metal hand (\m/) as your sign, and one guy asks you if he can throw metal-hands with this mod, even if you uploaded dozens of screens of your work. ... when you had that a couple of times you get tougher with it, but the first times it happens you just wanna slap that bitch.

actually its the best if you make yourself like a little fanbase, or friendbase, you know, folks that dig your stuff... maybe other modders. then you simply make a nice comment here or there, to share some "you rock, dude"-smack-talk... simply to have like a little cushion for the fools that will comment sooner or later. it sucks less then. but facing trolls is unavoidable long term. also, if you mod for yourself, you shouldnt take it to hard, and watch out with requests, if you do too much of those and get known for "being too nice" you will make yourself a target for every guy to tell you their wishes. ... *sigh* ... at this point i really miss "KettleWitch" :(

The one solid piece of advice I can give is NEVER mod for the masses.  Make the content YOU like for YOUR game and if you feel like sharing it, then do so.  You only have to please one person, and that is YOU.

Pretty much what I wanted to say but I'll add for re-enforcement:

No matter what you do someone will always think it should work differently. That's not to say you shouldn't listen to what's being suggested and letting suggestions influence your decisions is a bad thing. It isn't and you should. But it's also not wrong to say "No. Sorry. That's not how I want my mod to work." after they do their best to convince you otherwise.

They don't read the f'ing manual. Be prepared to answer the same question over and over again. Sometimes it's because the person is too lazy to do a search, sometimes the person is too new to the site to know how the search works, sometimes it's because of a language barrier.  Regardless of the reason. Good, bad, whatever. It's inevitable and there's no point in letting it bother you beyond the occasional rant. 

My advice for us non-modders is never download and install a new mod the instant it hits the new today section unless it`s by

a well known Mod author.Bookmark it and check back in a couple of days and read the comments, that way you can get a good idea

what problems (if any)it has or if it is something you really want to add to your game.

Guest Ragna_Rok

My advice for us non-modders is never download and install a new mod the instant it hits the new today section unless it`s by

a well known Mod author.Bookmark it and check back in a couple of days and read the comments, that way you can get a good idea

what problems (if any)it has or if it is something you really want to add to your game.

nope... i dont agree. back on nexus i used to release my weapons sometimes as single standalones before i put them together in a pack of 60 weapons (my "stuff for real berserkers"). several times it happened that the comments were simply either done by fools or haters.

one guy wanted to have a certain weapon modified. i didnt want to do it. so he started hitting my comments. another one asked me by pm to endorse his stuff, if not, he would post shit there. there were also some nice guys i could count on, not only dicks, but the thing is simply, its russian roulette with 3 bullets.

50 - 50, either nice guys say nice things, or the troll or (like my fav-dickhead) premium idiots turn up playing kindergarten.

funny is that blocking premium-members from your mods on nexus makes you get banned in an instant, no matter if youre right or not, but thats another story.

final conclusion: youre right with trusting modders that you know. but youre wrong with paying too much attention to other ppl's opinion. best make yourself your own opinion... after all its also about finding stuff that meets your personal taste.

a final note on the side... since i moved here the comment-function / support-topics of my now 12 mods here barely get used... i know for sure because i follow them all. on "the site that shall not be named" i would have expected maybe 60 - 100 new comments since i came here on x-mas, here its like a dozen. just saying ;)

nope... i dont agree. back on nexus i used to release my weapons sometimes as single standalones before i put them together in a pack of 60 weapons (my "stuff for real berserkers"). several times it happened that the comments were simply either done by fools or haters.

one guy wanted to have a certain weapon modified. i didnt want to do it. so he started hitting my comments. another one asked me by pm to endorse his stuff, if not, he would post shit there. there were also some nice guys i could count on, not only dicks, but the thing is simply, its russian roulette with 3 bullets.

50 - 50, either nice guys say nice things, or the troll or (like my fav-dickhead) premium idiots turn up playing kindergarten.

funny is that blocking premium-members from your mods on nexus makes you get banned in an instant, no matter if youre right or not, but thats another story.

final conclusion: youre right with trusting modders that you know. but youre wrong with paying too much attention to other ppl's opinion. best make yourself your own opinion... after all its also about finding stuff that meets your personal taste.

a final note on the side... since i moved here the comment-function / support-topics of my now 12 mods here barely get used... i know for sure because i follow them all. on "the site that shall not be named" i would have expected maybe 60 - 100 new comments since i came here on x-mas, here its like a dozen. just saying ;)

Ya I can see you point about the troll and haters.I was more meaning if the mod does not have a very good explanation on what it is just better to wait

too see what others say about what it does.(just my opinion) I have had my share of  "Why oh why did i install this?" moments.And this is for Nexus only.On LL I will download stuff asap as I trust all the Mod makers here.

Make mods for fun. Not for being liked. Not for getting anything out of it like the affection of others. If someone gets rude, ignore it. The internet is pretty much like real life: Many assdorks out there, but also a few very nice people in this bunch of shit.

Criticism - which always involves the criticizing person saying what he would want and not only what he does not want, otherwise it's just bitching -  is ok, and unrealistic requests often result from the lack of knowledge. If someone never modded it's hard for that person to say what can be done.

Furthermore: Fuck lore mongers. If they don't like the way you're going with your mod, it's their problem, not yours. In most cases "this is not lore friendly" means nothing else than "I don't like it" anyway.

And don't be a "copyright" idiot unless someone tries to make money with your mod. Share without whining.

Guest Ragna_Rok

Ya I can see you point about the troll and haters.I was more meaning if the mod does not have a very good explanation on what it is just better to wait

too see what others say about what it does.(just my opinion) I have had my share of  "Why oh why did i install this?" moments.And this is for Nexus only.On LL I will download stuff asap as I trust all the Mod makers here.

nice words :) ... its a chance i came over here :D