lol MO is such a BEAST! :D

@Lady Horus:

Do you still have all the mods you installed? Like, do you have the original zip files from Nexus/LL/etc? If so, fuggit. Fresh install. Nothing to lose except maybe an hour reinstalling Skyrim and installing mods to MO, working out settings, setting up desired executables for MO to run, and all that stuff.

Or:

Do you know the file paths of all the installed mods? You could just take the files out, zip them (after making and adding new folders to take the needed files to the correct file path), and install to MO, then you could just make Skyrim vanilla yourself, but few people know exactly what files are in a vanilla Skyrim, so be careful, obviously. This means zipping the mods up exactly as they came by moving the info right out of Skyrim and into the 'bout-to-be-zipped mod folders. This is where having the original mods comes in handy, but keep in mind this is a tedious process, and it may be better to just start fresh, and reinstall (and perhaps even re-download) the desired mods to MO.

Everyone on this thread has reinstalled Skyrim for MO, and not one of them regrets it one bit. ;) Once it's done...it's done. MO can take it from there, and life will be easy. You'll be able to test any mod anytime without worrying one bit about any consequences. :sleepy:

MO is Peace of Mind

Thank you. :) Fresh install wouldn't be too much of a problem but I have made some custom edits to things in the data folder, as well as some mods are replacers (like textures, animations, models and such). It'd be kind of a hassle but I might try it at some point when I'm feeling daring lol. Thing is I've had to fresh install a few times already some months ago and it's such a pain trying to recall what all I've used. The save file can tell me what mods are active via the ESPs but for things that don't use them it can be tedious.

I have however made a backup of my original vanilla Skyrim data folder, so there is that at least. Thanks for the replies everyone. :) Perhaps over the weekend I'll look into this more.

Yes, the profiles are so great, I have several now.

My only problem is, I sometimes forget, which char was in which profile :D

Why don't you add the name of your char to your profile?

I try to use this naming scheme for profiles: <YYYY>.<MM>.<DD>.<charname>.<Mod_Name>.<Mod_Version>

<YYYY>.<MM>.<DD>: Indicates thte profile creation date.

<Mod_Name> & <Mod_Version> are both optional and I use it to indicate that I'm experimenting with a particular version of a particular mod.

Examples:

2014.03.12.Hanna.NoSexLab

2014.03.13.Hanna.SexLab.1.35b (<- Clone of the above, but with SexLab v1.35b installed)

2014.09.18.Yvonne.SexLab.1.59b (<- New char with SexLab 1.59b)

etc.

Yes like stated above. I use the name with added infoon the end. for example

Brenton Male - Name- wizard

Brenton Male - name - wizard - vampire dg

brenton male - name - wizzard - non-vampire dg

all the above would be examples of copied profiles. Worst comes to worst pop a text file into the profile with description.. Perhaps a mini story.. lol.  Perhaps AwefulArchdemon can suggest that as a feature. text base discriptions for Profiles.. Sort of story line/mod list used.. Could be a good idea..

@Lady Horus

One risky thing you can do if you are very skilled.

1. copy the skyrim game folder
  2. open steam and delete skyrim files
  3. open the common/skyrim folder and you will see all the files you installed. Provided there isn't a glitch which I had some months ago hence the instructions with #1.
  4. You will have the skse and other non Data files already for installation. Pack those up. for when you reinstall Skyrim.
  5. Open the data folder. There you will have all the files installed from NMM. Pack those up in a zipped or 7z file for later installation. This will be your game compilation.
  6. delete the Skyrim folder
  7. reinstall Skyrim
  8. reinstall the non data files into skyrim after re-verification of game through Steam.
  9. open MO.
  10. Use the utility to import the mods and use the zipped folder.
  11. Install the compilation created in #5
  12. Create a new profile. Select the new compilation. Then copy the saves manually into the new profile.
  13. This is your base game install. Slowly gather up all the mods and such and start recreating your game with the separate resources so that you can retire the compilation. Trust me having separate files makes it way easier to modify your game and fix conflicts. With your "compilation" you will be constantly overwriting the files in that compilation with little chance of choosing which or what order that over write occurs
  14. If 1 through 13 works as intended. Slowly add the mods to the game until you have most of them installed and configured. You can copy your current game profile Used for NMM and test with that profile while still using the other profile for serious play.. Yea MO.!!! :D. When you think you have the configuration correct.. unclick the compilation and see if everything works properly. If not fix a few of those things that don't. This you can do at your leisure. No harm thanks to MO virtual folder .. again YEA MO!!!! :D.

Risks. The manager might not handle the shear size of the compilation created from your data folder. If that is the case delete and restore the copy made in #1. Time lost about an hour. Maybe more if the re-verification takes time.

Benefits: no longer using MO.. Duh..!!!! Also you can be confident that the current play through is exactly what you had in NMM. You can then slowly replace and grow your MO profiles and game and variations and alterations. ;)

Disclaimer. I haven't done this personally at least to this level. I have made mini compilations for Sexout and it works just fine. I have done so because of compatibility issues. Think on Skyrims Sexlab 1.35 and the mods used. Many aren't comparable today. Gathering all them up and dropping them into a zipped folder for play when you desire makes managing the games easier as you won't accidentally choose an out of date mod for your current play though and still can access the mods for those older profiles. ;) Basically it minimizes the load side of MO.

Best coarse of action: installation from scratch everything including Skyrim. mods and settings. yes it is a bitch but trust me.. The flexibility you gain in the future if you have the patience ( It took me 4 separate times before I fully adopted MO because of issues and miss understandings. Still I am reworking the folders based on new experiences and knowledge on how I want to run my mods and manage the files) . Now I have lots of understanding and have started using it for FNV. with much improved success but that is another story. The level of control you see currently isn't even the full level of control you can experience with MO. There are so many other tricks and techniques I am still learning. Indeed I learn new things almost every-time I start MO. So much control over the files and other programs the mind can be baffled. One such trick is what I stated above. . lol. 

what's the limit 

NMM says to me that I can not be more like 255 active mods and I have something off.

th_nmm255mods.jpg

and for that convinces us that this is a limitation of the game 

if this is true then I have a problem at uninstall 

because I like these mods

google translator

Why don't you add the name of your char to your profile?

I try to use this naming scheme for profiles: <YYYY>.<MM>.<DD>.<charname>.<Mod_Name>.<Mod_Version>

<YYYY>.<MM>.<DD>: Indicates thte profile creation date.

<Mod_Name> & <Mod_Version> are both optional and I use it to indicate that I'm experimenting with a particular version of a particular mod.

Examples:

2014.03.12.Hanna.NoSexLab

2014.03.13.Hanna.SexLab.1.35b (<- Clone of the above, but with SexLab v1.35b installed)

2014.09.18.Yvonne.SexLab.1.59b (<- New char with SexLab 1.59b)

etc.

Yes like stated above. I use the name with added infoon the end. for example

Brenton Male - Name- wizard

Brenton Male - name - wizard - vampire dg

brenton male - name - wizzard - non-vampire dg

all the above would be examples of copied profiles. Worst comes to worst pop a text file into the profile with description.. Perhaps a mini story.. lol.  Perhaps AwefulArchdemon can suggest that as a feature. text base discriptions for Profiles.. Sort of story line/mod list used.. Could be a good idea..

Well, you both are right of course :)

I have names like:

7BO male mean guy

7BO no College years

7BO base do not change

CBBE base

UNPBO Frostfall

(and lots more like these for different body replacers and active mods :lol: )

But since I start and restart games with different mods in different profiles, I sometimes forget which one I used for a certain character.

I guess I have to look through each one and rename them in a more informative way, thanks for your suggestions :)

I generally find it's best practice, with the kinds of mods that have many options, to install separate named versions of mods for each profile, e.g. supposing I've got Profile X, then if I have Mod A, I'll install a version of mod A for Profile X, call it "A for X", then if I want the same mod in Profile Y, I'll install another version and call it "A for Y". 

That way, with proper management of Overwrite (i.e. after any mod change, ALWAYS run through LOOT - Wrye Bash - Skyproc patchers - FNIS, in that order, and with the relevant mods and .esps in that order last, in both mod list and .esp list, every time a mod is changed and put the stuff that goes into Overwrite from each pass with each of these into a separate mod relating to that Profile - e.g. "FNIS Output for X") everything goes very smoothly and I can have wildly different profiles (e.g. one with Requiem stuff, another with just STEP Core stuff plus Sexlab stuff, or whatever, any combination really) and flip between them at leisure.  The main thing is not to have stuff in Overwrite that's appropriate for one Profile being active in another Profile, that's the one thing that can re-introduce the kinds of puzzlement that's common when you're just using NMM and one setup but messing around with mods.

It's a bit of effort and being systematic, but that bit of effort repays you with truly extraordinary power and ease of use to experiment and have extremely different kinds of playstyles and games and move between them easily and without problems.

The only downside really is that all those duplicates of mods can lead to a huge MO mods folder (getting into 100 or more Gigs), but with modern hard drives (SSDs too) and large amounts of space, it's not really that big of a problem, and the benefit is far less headaches.

@gurugeorge

It isn't necessary to duplicate the mods installed in MO. MO does that for you and keeps the folder smaller and more manageable. The only reason is if you made some modifications to the installation. Add options or changed something for that profile. Then it makes sense to have a different install. You can accomplish the same thing with "patch xyx" and patch the mod(s) in question and if another profile needs that patch in the future just click on that "patch xyz" that you needed.

When loading these and naming these patches use same method you used above name-patch-xyz. :D. To make it easy to find ( if you don't want to use the search function) make sure all the patches are below the main mod that is needed. MO will automatically override the mods above when clicked so easy peasy.

Not that what you are doing is wrong.. there is just another way to do it and get the same results and keep the drive space smaller. The entries will still be higher this way than following the procedure others do and repacking the mods with everything they want into it and then installing it into MO. Sort of a custom compilation. Having many files in the virtual folder ( size wise not number-wise) can lead to slowing down of loading screens and such. It takes quite a bit of mods to do so and seems to be dependent on the gaming rig but eventually slow downs will occur. I am sure everyone here will agree to have all the nice little mods ( and big ones) available at your fingertips in exchange for a slight slow down is perfectly acceptable. However in your case you have massive duplication that will prematurely slow down the system .. when there is another way that can work just as good. ;).

I do however agree 100% with your statement that you need to keep those mods properly named and organized. I thought I was and even with less than 200 mods installed (left side) I was having harder and harder time managing and finding what was conflicting. I decided to rework MO .. yet again. Had I been more attentive to my naming of the mods this would have been an non issue.

@gurugeorge

It isn't necessary to duplicate the mods installed in MO. MO does that for you and keeps the folder smaller and more manageable. The only reason is if you made some modifications to the installation. Add options or changed something for that profile.

Yeah that's what I meant, I don't do it for every mod, it's not necessary - I meant those types of mods (especially the ones that come with FOMODs) that have several options that might change depending on other mods in the Profile.

But as you say, that can sometimes be done with an extra named patch on top too.

I hear what you're saying about it taking a few "tries" with MO till you get your MO (snicker) right.  MO is so powerful it's tempting to go to town when you first use it, and then you forget little things and get into knots (although on a much higher level than you'd have gotten into knots with just NMM and one setup).  It does have a bit of a learning curve and does require some care and attention, but you are rewarded with all that incredible power that's light years beyond any other method.

But I find in general that careful mod naming (so you keep track of what's different with mod X across Profiles) and proper use of Overwrite (i.e. making separate named mods from it from Bashed patch, Skyproc patchers and FNIS output, any time something changes) keeps things humming along nicely :)

Re. the Profile naming thing, I tend to think of Profiles as "worlds" according to "dominant" mods, rather than tie them to characters per se.  So I have something like "STEP Core + hardcore realism + Sexlab + Lovers Comfort", or "STEP Extended + Requiem", things like that (where I know that "hardcore realism" means my favourite set of realism mods, eg. Frostfall, RND, etc.).  (I do find the STEP setups very good and stable bases for further experimentation, so I always have a clean STEP Core and STEP Extended as separate Profiles to copy from.)

That's for general messing about (and I'm always messing about trying things, seeing what goes well with what, etc.).

Then very occasionally if I make a character I love rp-ing particularly and am getting a good long game with, in a "world" that suits it, I'll copy its Profile and name it after the character and tie its saves to the Profile and just leave that Profile alone.  That tends to happen at some point usually when I'm bored with tweaking and just want to play the game (it's kind of the "reward" for all the messing around - a good, long, stable game I can settle into, full of rich, fun content :) ).

There are always little corners of MO that you can discover though.  For instance, the other day, I discovered that launching the standard Skyrim Launcher from within a given Profile in MO tweaks the .ini files (re. the standard Launcher options) just for that Profile.  I had no idea, I had thought the Launcher just always set the .ini files in My Documents, so never used it, and did all .ini tweaks for a Profile manually! Doh!

What logs were you getting in your overwrite? Sounds like something's going right, not wrong.

Have you changed anything in the ini (or any ini)? Changed a debug log from 1 to 0, or something?

All logs like from HDT, UTil, Sexlab etc.. No i have not changed anything. Witch why it is strange suddenly no more logs being generated in the override folder.

The only reason i needed those logs to identify a crash problem i was getting lately when any sex acts started. But i created a new profile, with minimal mods and sexlab is working alright no more crashes just no logs either.

What logs were you getting in your overwrite? Sounds like something's going right, not wrong.

Have you changed anything in the ini (or any ini)? Changed a debug log from 1 to 0, or something?

All logs like from HDT, UTil, Sexlab etc.. No i have not changed anything. Witch why it is strange suddenly no more logs being generated in the override folder.

The only reason i needed those logs to identify a crash problem i was getting lately when any sex acts started. But i created a new profile, with minimal mods and sexlab is working alright no more crashes just no logs either.

Was it the SexLab AnimationProfile you were getting in there? I don't know if you saw my post in the SexLab support thread and did the same thing I did in trying to fix the CTD problem, but having set up the empty Animation Profiles for SexLab to edit, instead of leaving it to generate one when I first make position adjustments, I find the same thing - that the AnimationProfile no longer appears in overwrite. As I haven't had a single CTD since, I'm certainly seeing it as a good thing.

All I get in overwrite now from a normal play session is an empty meshes folder appearing, sometimes with an empty cache folder inside it, and sometimes with those mysterious tri files inside the cache folder.

You should definitely be getting plenty of log file updates on every launch, especially HDT stuff. In my case they never write to the overwrites folder because I created a mod for them when they first appeared there and they always just update themselves in that location. Could that be something you've done yourself and forgotten about?

Yea D_Manxx2. There are only two ( maybe three places) the files can go.

• Back to the original mod provided the files were already there and MO recognizes it and places them there... not very likely as MO likes to be sure and places it into the overwrite folder with any question. Even when it is editing the actual mod's files.. :dodgy:
  • In the overwrite folder which is the default mod of operation for MO. Unless as the member above stated you created a profile or dropped the files elsewhere
  • The third and likely the place you have the files is in some folder where you placed them and just forgot.

If they have been created they are somewhere in MO. All this is assuming that the logs are being created in the first place. I haven't used HDT yet so I am not familiar with this. However like other mods and logs make sure that if there is any option to turn these logs off that you haven't done that.

@gurugeorge

It isn't necessary to duplicate the mods installed in MO. MO does that for you and keeps the folder smaller and more manageable. The only reason is if you made some modifications to the installation. Add options or changed something for that profile.

Yeah that's what I meant, I don't do it for every mod, it's not necessary - I meant those types of mods (especially the ones that come with FOMODs) that have several options that might change depending on other mods in the Profile.

But as you say, that can sometimes be done with an extra named patch on top too.

I hear what you're saying about it taking a few "tries" with MO till you get your MO (snicker) right.  MO is so powerful it's tempting to go to town when you first use it, and then you forget little things and get into knots (although on a much higher level than you'd have gotten into knots with just NMM and one setup).  It does have a bit of a learning curve and does require some care and attention, but you are rewarded with all that incredible power that's light years beyond any other method.

But I find in general that careful mod naming (so you keep track of what's different with mod X across Profiles) and proper use of Overwrite (i.e. making separate named mods from it from Bashed patch, Skyproc patchers and FNIS output, any time something changes) keeps things humming along nicely :)

I see your point with FMODs. There are only two choices with them. Break them appart ( if you have the skill and understanding of what is going on with that mod) or just use them as is. If you use them as is then I now understand the reasoning for the added entries and versions.

I am considering keeping a few of the FMODs in the downloads section of MO ( before I kept them all but that drove me mad) so that I can re-run those that I don't want to break up or mess with. These are particularly useful for those very complex mods like SIMMs what the shear number of variations could give someone a headache. The simple mods just install and add some patches and leave it alone until a new version comes out. ( Which I place the version with the name manually. Makes it easier to see and to keep versions. Useful for what you do in the quote below. The profile can then be safe for a very long time as the old versions of a mod can be used while still playing with the newest. Excellent point is those people that keep searching for 1.35 Sexlab for their old versions of mods. I can keep playing and playing the same variation even start new games using that very same profile setup.

Re. the Profile naming thing, I tend to think of Profiles as "worlds" according to "dominant" mods, rather than tie them to characters per se.  So I have something like "STEP Core + hardcore realism + Sexlab + Lovers Comfort", or "STEP Extended + Requiem", things like that (where I know that "hardcore realism" means my favourite set of realism mods, eg. Frostfall, RND, etc.).  (I do find the STEP setups very good and stable bases for further experimentation, so I always have a clean STEP Core and STEP Extended as separate Profiles to copy from.)

That's for general messing about (and I'm always messing about trying things, seeing what goes well with what, etc.).

Then very occasionally if I make a character I love rp-ing particularly and am getting a good long game with, in a "world" that suits it, I'll copy its Profile and name it after the character and tie its saves to the Profile and just leave that Profile alone.  That tends to happen at some point usually when I'm bored with tweaking and just want to play the game (it's kind of the "reward" for all the messing around - a good, long, stable game I can settle into, full of rich, fun content :) ).

There are always little corners of MO that you can discover though.  For instance, the other day, I discovered that launching the standard Skyrim Launcher from within a given Profile in MO tweaks the .ini files (re. the standard Launcher options) just for that Profile.  I had no idea, I had thought the Launcher just always set the .ini files in My Documents, so never used it, and did all .ini tweaks for a Profile manually! Doh!

I really haven't been doing much more than running the same mods through all my profiles. After setting these up I go to play. I am sure in the future I will start to use variations of mods and in this case it might be better to approach this slightly differently.

I've never had a papyrus_0.log in my overwrite. Those go to Documents. Modorganizer[date].log goes in \ModOrganizer\logs.

In fact, I'm not sure I've ever had a log in my overwrite, and I've changed no settings in the configuration files (believe it or not). I keep it nice and default...sorta.

Everyone appears to have had logging sent to there overwrite. I have to ask myself why you, and not me?

I've never had a papyrus_0.log in my overwrite. Those go to Documents. Modorganizer[date].log goes in \ModOrganizer\logs.

In fact, I'm not sure I've ever had a log in my overwrite, and I've changed no settings in the configuration files (believe it or not). I keep it nice and default...sorta.

Everyone appears to have had logging sent to there overwrite. I have to ask myself why you, and not me?

Yeah they're external to MO and won't ever appear there.

In my case I have a couple of HDT High Heels related logs, an hdtSkyrimMemPatch.log, hdtphysicsextension.log,  the memory log that confirms the memory patch is initiating itself, and another that confirms the actual memory usage. 

If I were to delete the 'mod' I created from the overwrite folder they first appeared in, they'd start to be written to the 'overwrite' folder again. 

To be honest, since I moved to MO I feel like I've got logs stuffed into all sorts of places, I sometimes get confused about where I need to look for them. How many you get obviously depends what mods you're running. Mods I didn't even know I had installed create useless logs I've never had a reason to look at and I discover them lurking in places I'd never think to look for them if I did have a reason to. My install has a life of it's own. I call her Betsy.....

...no I don't. 

@ empire

I don't understand the question.

• when you install a mod the esp get added to the right side provided it is installed. Provided you installed them with the proper folder structure.
  • During the install process there is a simple click box that you can click and or unclick along with arranging the folder structure to suit your needs during installation. This is when you add or remove any esp that you don't want to show up on the right side when the mod is clicked or activated.

With those two processes you shouldn't have any problems with esps being where you don't want them. Perhaps an error on one of those steps? There shouldn't be any esp that "goes back on the list" if the above is done.