Now, go down to the 'overwrite' tab on MO's main menu (all the way at the bottom on the left). Right-click it to pull up a small menu, and click 'create mod...'. This will put the 'tools' folder and all that FNIS generated into a mod, and you can then activate that mod in MO. No more 'overwrite' info.

Are you saying that if it is installed this way it won't create more files in the overwrite folder when you re-run FINIS with changes ? If so I might be playing Skyrim sooner than I thought. :P

Anyone else use this with Fallout 3 and Windows XP? It works for a few mods a few times, then starts exploding for no discernible reason. The error in the log is

INFO (22:35:52.0765): Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\Fallout3.exe". Last hooked call: unsigned long __stdcall GetFileAttributesW_rep(const unsigned short *)

At that point, it won't work even if you switch off all the mods back to the basic game. The only thing that DOES work is to delete the whole damn folder and start from scratch. That eventually gives the same error and has to be deleted as well. Using v1.1.1.

Ran into some snag with wrye bash and mod manager. I start Wrye bash with mod organizer, i can see my mods, but I can't make any changes to them. I wanted to create mod independency for a follower mod that I am making for myself.

I keep getting IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'G:\\Steam\\SteamApps\\common\\Skyrim\\Data\\mymod.esp'

I changed some lines in bash.ini file, but it didn't work, and I also have no idea if I did correctly. If someone can point me the right directions, i would appreciated it.

I've gotta' say that I am totally sold on MO at this point. It's the best thing I've used for Skyrim.

For example, it's spurred me to "tweak" some mods that don't fit the normal file structure MO expects to see. I just recently took a couple mods that had "no data at top level" and fixed them by creating a new folder called "Beautification", unzipping the offending mods, adding parts of these three mods that I wanted in a "proper" data tree, re-zipped the folder then added it using MO. This gave me exactly what I wanted from 3 rather large mods all in one easy to install, and safe to remove, package that keeps my modlist clean and tidy.

This really is a great tool to have and use. I just keep liking it more and more.

I've gotta' say that I am totally sold on MO at this point. It's the best thing I've used for Skyrim.

For example, it's spurred me to "tweak" some mods that don't fit the normal file structure MO expects to see. I just recently took a couple mods that had "no data at top level" and fixed them by creating a new folder called "Beautification", unzipping the offending mods, adding parts of these three mods that I wanted in a "proper" data tree, re-zipped the folder then added it using MO. This gave me exactly what I wanted from 3 rather large mods all in one easy to install, and safe to remove, package that keeps my modlist clean and tidy.

This really is a great tool to have and use. I just keep liking it more and more.

still haven't figured out how to create mod dependencies. Any help?

Wayra

I don't know that answer either but I have various links I use to find lots of info in my sig under Mod Organizer. Perhaps there might be something there if some giant brain here cant give a concise answer quickly :P I regularly go throught those links and read and learn nice new tidbits of info on a regular bases r/t MO.

still haven't figured out how to create mod dependencies. Any help?

Mod dependencies? Elaborate.

I didn't know what he was talking about either. However I only have just scratched the surface of the feature sets that MO has to offer.

There is a possibility he might be mentioning things like where mods require other mod to install properly. If that is the case use an external program such as FOMM for the HUD mods. Install all of the mods in order, then open the "overwrite" folder and then use the "create mod" option. Now your mods are configured and all the other mods that required are included into a custom mod you just created. Well actually a customized packed mod you just created. lol.

I have switched from NMM to mod organiser.

and can't get it to work correctly :-(

tried installing SKSE though MO, but then SKY UI complained about not seeing SKSE.

I installed SKSE manually into the skyrim folder, then SKY UI installed ok.

Then I installed FNIS, which seemed to work at first, but then no animations were playing for sexlab.

Then installed FNIS manually into the non-virtual Skyrim folder as I did for SKSE, and I was able to play animations.

When the FNIS plugin was activated, it would launch FNIS all right but FNIS would not account for all animations (but no errors are reported) and then MO would say that FNIS did not execute, and I would not be able to launch the game.

Then I tried CBBE and bodyslide 2.

Somehow the bodies don't get generated correctly, and I can't save my presets anywhere? always get a message "there are no other files" huh?

In Schlongs of Skyrim, all cocks are bent to the right??

Some mods don't seem to work - for example random sex.

Well, it worked "a little".

Before I installed FNIS as non-virtual, random sex triggered, but only for beasts and with no animations.

After that, it never triggered again, neither for beasts nor npcs.

Remodeled armors don't show and aren't remodeled by bodyslide 2

Hentai pregnancy - no belly.

:-(

Is there an instruction somewhere about how to get MO to work with these mods?

I read several instructions already, including the STEP one, the advanced one, etc. and while it seems clear when reading and following the steps, the issues with the mods remain.

I know how to set data folders in the mod files manually when installing, I set executables through FNIS, launch them with shortcut from FNIS, etc.

I tried a lot of things, but still I have no idea how to make it work.

Help please?

Guest Grestorn

You should follow the guides that are available (click the icon to the top right of MO). Then you'd know that you have to install SKSE manually, because MO can only manage everything that goes into the Data directory, but not stuff that goes into the Skyrim directory itself. 

So SKSE, all ENB mods and stuff like the Sheson's memory patch cannot be installed by MO. Everything else can. 

Otherwise MO is just much easier to work with than anything else, because you can easily move mods around, (de)activate them etc. without worrying that something gets overwritten and that you have to activate them in the right order. 

But still, the mods' .esp files have to be loaded in the correct order, so you still need to use BOSS (it has to be started from WITHIN MO!) and you should follow the advice given by the red triangle warning sign, if it's shown on the top right (I bet it is). 

And go through the tutorials!

It takes a bit to understand MO, but it's most certainly worth it!

You should follow the guides that are available (click the icon to the top right of MO). Then you'd know that you have to install SKSE manually, because MO can only manage everything that goes into the Data directory, but not stuff that goes into the Skyrim directory itself. 

So SKSE, all ENB mods and stuff like the Sheson's memory patch cannot be installed by MO. Everything else can. 

Otherwise MO is just much easier to work with than anything else, because you can easily move mods around, (de)activate them etc. without worrying that something gets overwritten and that you have to activate them in the right order. 

But still, the mods' .esp files have to be loaded in the correct order, so you still need to use BOSS (it has to be started from WITHIN MO!) and you should follow the advice given by the red triangle warning sign, if it's shown on the top right (I bet it is). 

And go through the tutorials!

It takes a bit to understand MO, but it's most certainly worth it!

Yes, as I wrote, I installed SKSE non-virtually, but then ran into other problems with FNIS, etc.

All the tutorials are fine  *in theory* but then I run into other problems such as with bodyslide 2 and the remodeled armors, and the tutorials contain no info as to how to solve these specific issues.

I did just reinstall Skyrim completely and will be starting from scratch again.

what's the advice on how to install things and in which order?

I guess the first is SKSE? or is it BOSS?

can BOSS be installed through MO?

then FNIS, FNIS creature and spells? through MO or not?

Is SKSE the only mod that requires to be installed without using MO?

what about CBBE, bodyslide and bodyslide 2?

I will write everything up as I go and post the result as a how-to. That is... if I ever get it to work, LOL.

Guest Grestorn

- Install Skyrim

- Install all the tools like BOSS, MO, etc. in a separate directory outside of the Skyrim directory and outside of Program Files

- Install SKSE manually into Skyrim

- Start MO. It should detect the Skyrim.exe, the launcher and SKSE by itself. 

- Add BOSS as an external tool to MO (see the guide for how to do that). Start it from within MO. It should work even though the are not many mods to sort yet.

- Install all the Mods you want to use using MO, including FNIS and all FNIS addons (yes, also Creatures and spells if you want these).

- The flash icon together with the + or - symbol tells you when a mod is overwriting files from another mod. Most mods with plugins have to be ordered so that the main module is the top one and plugins or patches are coming below the main module so they can overwrite it, if they need to. That's true for FNIS as well: The Creature Pack HAS to be below the "FNIS Behavior" mod. 

- Add the GenerateFNISForUsers executable to MO (see the guide again for details)

- Execute BOSS from within MO

- Execute GenerateFNISForUsers from within MO. It should work fine if you have version 1.1.1 of MO

- If you've got any SkyProc mods, add their patchers to MO and start them (or use SUM)

- Finally one last run of BOSS through MO

- You will have an "Overwrite" directory listed on the left side on the bottom of all mods. You could clean that up, but for now it contains the files generated by FNIS which you need, so leave it alone. 

Start SKSE through MO. It should work fine now. 

The rest is optional and could help if you've still got problems: 

- Click the red traingle icon. It will list that you've got something in your Overwrite. Ignore that. But if there's another message about mods not ordered correctly, reorder them so that the message disappears. 

- On the right panel you can click "Archives". Checkmark all .bsa files with an warning exclamation mark. That could solve a theoretical ordering problem where a .bsa couldn't overwrite lose files if you have this situation.

- Install Skyrim

- Install all the tools like BOSS, MO, etc. in a separate directory outside of the Skyrim directory and outside of Program Files

- Install SKSE manually into Skyrim

- Start MO. It should detect the Skyrim.exe, the launcher and SKSE by itself. 

- Add BOSS as an external tool to MO (see the guide for how to do that). Start it from within MO. It should work even though the are not many mods to sort yet.

- Install all the Mods you want to use using MO, including FNIS and all FNIS addons (yes, also Creatures and spells if you want these).

- The flash icon together with the + or - symbol tells you when a mod is overwriting files from another mod. Most mods with plugins have to be ordered so that the main module is the top one and plugins or patches are coming below the main module so they can overwrite it, if they need to. That's true for FNIS as well: The Creature Pack HAS to be below the "FNIS Behavior" mod. 

- Add the GenerateFNISForUsers executable to MO (see the guide again for details)

- Execute BOSS from within MO

- Execute GenerateFNISForUsers from within MO. It should work fine if you have version 1.1.1 of MO

- If you've got any SkyProc mods, add their patchers to MO and start them (or use SUM)

- Finally one last run of BOSS through MO

- You will have an "Overwrite" directory listed on the left side on the bottom of all mods. You could clean that up, but for now it contains the files generated by FNIS which you need, so leave it alone. 

Start SKSE through MO. It should work fine now. 

The rest is optional and could help if you've still got problems: 

- Click the red traingle icon. It will list that you've got something in your Overwrite. Ignore that. But if there's another message about mods not ordered correctly, reorder them so that the message disappears. 

- On the right panel you can click "Archives". Checkmark all .bsa files with an warning exclamation mark. That could solve a theoretical ordering problem where a .bsa couldn't overwrite lose files if you have this situation.

many thanks, will be doing that now!

ok, progress so far:

- SKSE is installed and recognized by MO

- BOSS is installed in a totally different folder and I added it as an executable in MO

Now I'm taking care of the 3 FNIS files, but downloading them through MO doesn't work.

Error message from MO: not found on NMM site.

Trying the manual install instead.

P.S. what are "proc mods" ?

Guest Grestorn

It's "SkyProc" mods. There are several mods who have their own dynamic patcher which has to be started and takes all of your installed mods into account to create a compatibility patch. 

Skyrim Redone is such a mod. Or Dual Sheath Redux. 

If you don't have any of these, you don't need to worry about that. Otherwise you have to add these patchers all to MO and start them one by one. 

How are you trying to download the mods from Nexus exactly?

ok, here is what I did, written up as a mini-instruction:

- Install Skyrim (not in a default folder, not in Programs, ideally on another logical drive, such as D:\Games\Skyrim for example)
- Install Patches
- Install Mod Organiser in a totally separate folder, for example D:\Applications\Mod_Organiser
- Install SKSE in Skyrim main folder, i.e. in our example D:\Games\Skyrim
- Run MO, it will recognise Skyrim and Skyrim Launcher and SKSE
- Install BOSS in a totally different folder, for example D:\Applications\Boss
- Add BOSS as an executable to MO (instructions here: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#tab=Third_Party_Programs), point to the BOSS executable in our example above, D:\Applications\Boss\BOSS.exe

For some reason, downloading mods through MO from Nexus doesn't work for me anymore, so visit
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11811/
and download the FNIS files, and store them in a folder. I keep a mod archive folder on my harddisk.

- Then add the FNIS mods in MO. I add FNIS behavior, FNIS creatures and FNIS spells.
The import procedure will often ask you to set the data folder manually and tell you "no game data on top level", because MO for some reason doesn't scan archives for a data folder. click around in the window until you locate the data folder and then right-click on that folder and select "set as data folder" and you will probably get "looks good". Confirm the installation.

- Important: don't forget to check the boxes in the left panel to activate the mods, otherwise the executables will not turn up in the folders (which are virtual, and only get populated if the corresponding mods are activated)

- Then go to the "data" tab in the right panel in MO, locate the tools directory and then the executable "Generate FNIS for users".
Right click on it and select "add as an executable".

- Then Run "Generate FNIS for users"

at this point, I already have a warning because of stuff in the "overwrite" folder, which was created by FNIS.

I read some posts above about the overwrite folder and making mods out of it, but can anyone explain what it means and what I should do with these files? my guess is that many of these files in the overwrite folder will be overwritten again with something else.

It's "SkyProc" mods. There are several mods who have their own dynamic patcher which has to be started and takes all of your installed mods into account to create a compatibility patch. 

Skyrim Redone is such a mod. Or Dual Sheath Redux. 

If you don't have any of these, you don't need to worry about that. Otherwise you have to add these patchers all to MO and start them one by one. 

How are you trying to download the mods from Nexus exactly?

I supplied my nexus login to MO and logged in also in nexus and tried "download with manager"

Guest Grestorn

MO makes sure that nothing gets written in the actual "Data" directory of your Skyrim installation, i.e. that directory is always kept as it was after Skyrim was installed. 

This way you'll always have a crispy clean Skyrim installation. 

The mods and all their files are "virtually" placed into the Data directory, meaning that only programs started from MO are seeing them, even though they're not really there. That's the great and ingenious magic of MO. 

But some programs are creating files during their work and place them into the Data directory. The CreateFNISForUser program is among those. MO will keep them from writing to the actual Data directory as well. Instead the files created by programs are placed into that virtual "Overwrite" category. If you doubleclick "Overwrite" you'll see all files generated by those programs. 

As long as you keep these files inside "Overwrite", everything will be fine, because when you start Skyrim or any other tool through MO, these files will be visible to them as if they were actually in the Data directory. So for now, just ignore "Overwrite" and everything is fine. 

If you understand the procedure of MO well enough and know how to move the important files in Overwrite into a separate, manually created mod, you could do that and delete them from Overwrite. This is necessary especially if you want to switch between MO profiles. But all that is advanced stuff and you don't want to deal with that for now.

About your download problem: Please double check if you entered your account data correctly. I usually don't have a problem using MO for downloading. Or maybe you've hit one of the notorious Nexus downtimes...

thank you for your help.

I've moved the files from overwrite to the FNIS mod directory (for which it is annoyingly necessary to move many files and directories individually, because my explorer complains about them being open in another application).

The problem is that this overwrite occurs every time I run FNIS :-(

I will leave it alone for now.

Let's hope I get bodyslide working correctly, and the remodeled armors.

About nexus, maybe their nmm is down, normal download works.