For the record, esp-less mods don't count towards the Skyrim mod limit.  You can have 500 textures mods all active as long as your VRAM can support it and they don't push Skyrim above that 3.1gb memory threshhold.

Yup.

I combined lower res textures (low power machine), lower res particle/leaf/snow/rain effects and a few other things all together in one new repacked mod that I install all in one shot. I also did the same with a pile of animations that I like, all repacked into one simple zipped folder.

Yep, That is what I was talking about my "repacking project" that I would do for MO. I like making sure the packages are in the most stable complete status as possible. If there are textures I would like eventually to mix and match the files that I desire together much like I did a long time ago with FNV / FO3. (which now needs to be recreated since I have a way more powerful machine now ) These are advance things that are things many more experienced users do to make their game "just right" for them. :P

As soon as I get going and comfortable (providing I don't start to mod) I will likely do the same for Skyrim and start using EMB mods and such. However I am limited with my GTX670 because of the 2gig vram it has. I an currently trying to figure out how to set up a development / testing rig and a playing rig where using them would have a nice flow. Now thanks to you guys I have answered most of the questions I had on MO. :P

Friend finally figured out how to best use CK with MO -- he runs CK outside of MO, with custom textures and meshes -- modders' resources -- copied to default directories. This way he can make BSAs, and once he's done with a project, he can remove them easily.

The same procedure can be used with scripts.

Tannin gave me the answer to my question on limits r/t mods installed (not active.)

I don't know of a limit on the number of installed mods.

Obviously the ui will slow down slightly the more mods you have but it should never crash and I assume you could have thousands of inactive mods, maybe tens of thousands without much trouble.

So other than some UI issues the vfs system should be able to handle whatever I can through at it.

Keep in mind it is installed not "active".

^

I believe I mentioned that earlier. The more mods you have in MO, the longer it'll take for the green loading bar to load.

So anyway, I have good news! I have Spring Break coming, so I have a whole week to learn as much as I can about MO, and especially...modding! Finals are very near. Looking forward to my report card. I have a 109.5% in one of my classes. Never got a grade like THAT before!

More good news! I will now be uploading MO strait to LL. I'll start with 1.1.1, and post all new versions for now on. It seems like a good idea, since some douche is meddling with Nexus mods and using the profiles of others to upload viruses. Mine are nice and sanitary.

Even more good news....wait, no. That's it. :P

I believe I mentioned that earlier. The more mods you have in MO, the longer it'll take for the green loading bar to load.

Yes you did, yes you did indeed. So far no time taken to load. Just wanted to be sure. I was going to do some very ... unusual things.. with MO. :P Wanted to be sure MO wouldn't complain....

@mm777

See, when I stopped using NMM, I plain-old stopped. Done. No transfers or anything, because I wanted everything to fresh, and updated when I got MO up-and-running. MO rules, btw. There's an easier way to get your mods out of NMM, and into MO, but if you spent 7 hours reinstalling like I did, then I'd say you're on the right path.

If you have diligence, you will find MO your best friend. If you're especially lazy, you may not gain all of MO's benefits.

Get your "major programs", like SKSE, FNIS, WryeBash, Creation Kit, BOSS, and TES5Edit running through MO, or more specifically, having MO run those programs, and life will be sweet! You can always run them outside of MO when you need to do something technical.

Ha! You guys are lucky. It took me 5 damn days to get my LO to all play nice together againI  i re-installed, switching to MO from NMM and used my saved LO. well im STILL not sure exactly what was causing the problem but for some reason i kept CTDing EVERY SINGLE TIME i took ARMOR from a body. Nothing else. >>  idfk still exactly why so in the end i basically started from scratch on everything other than the simple mods and got it working. And im going to mention the memory fix here too since there's STILL a lot of people that dont know it. Basically, there's a problem with how Skyrim allocates its available memory, which can eventually cause CTDs and the like. This helped me and even fixed a problem for that someone i was helping. i have no idea what was causing the problem he had but doing this fixed it and so i think its a good idea to do in general.

Anyway, you MUST be using SKSE 1_7_0 (you should be using SKSE anyway, most likely, but some people dont like Alpha builds. Ive used it for awhile now with no problems. The SKSE team are certainly good at what they do.) for this to do anything. Go to your Skyrim/Data folder and after installing SKSE (Ill allow AwfulArchdemon to advise on the best way to install SKSE with MO. I did mine to allow MO to see the scripts for modding purposes, but he's the authority here ;) ) Find the SKSE folder. There should be a Plugins folder and MAYBE a SKSE.ini. If not, create a new text document and in it, put:

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

What this does is instead of Skyrim allocating 256MB for memory, and 256 for scrap, and then adding another 256MB later when/if it needs it (this is where CTDs/problems occur) it will allocate the full 512MB from the beginning, alongside the 256MB scrap, totaling 768MB.
I also added the script cleaner to mine. It doesnt REMOVE the scripts, but kills them off as the orphaned scripts try to fire, improving performance and less errors and script jam-ups. I recommend this as well:
[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

Hopefully AwfulArchdemon doesnt mind me posting this here, but its a useful bit of information thats helped me a lot!
Best Regards,
arr0w

@mm777

See, when I stopped using NMM, I plain-old stopped. Done. No transfers or anything, because I wanted everything to fresh, and updated when I got MO up-and-running. MO rules, btw. There's an easier way to get your mods out of NMM, and into MO, but if you spent 7 hours reinstalling like I did, then I'd say you're on the right path.

If you have diligence, you will find MO your best friend. If you're especially lazy, you may not gain all of MO's benefits.

Get your "major programs", like SKSE, FNIS, WryeBash, Creation Kit, BOSS, and TES5Edit running through MO, or more specifically, having MO run those programs, and life will be sweet! You can always run them outside of MO when you need to do something technical.

Ha! You guys are lucky. It took me 5 damn days to get my LO to all play nice together againI  i re-installed, switching to MO from NMM and used my saved LO. well im STILL not sure exactly what was causing the problem but for some reason i kept CTDing EVERY SINGLE TIME i took ARMOR from a body. Nothing else. >>  idfk still exactly why so in the end i basically started from scratch on everything other than the simple mods and got it working. And im going to mention the memory fix here too since there's STILL a lot of people that dont know it. Basically, there's a problem with how Skyrim allocates its available memory, which can eventually cause CTDs and the like. This helped me and even fixed a problem for that someone i was helping. i have no idea what was causing the problem he had but doing this fixed it and so i think its a good idea to do in general.

Anyway, you MUST be using SKSE 1_7_0 (you should be using SKSE anyway, most likely, but some people dont like Alpha builds. Ive used it for awhile now with no problems. The SKSE team are certainly good at what they do.) for this to do anything. Go to your Skyrim/Data folder and after installing SKSE (Ill allow AwfulArchdemon to advise on the best way to install SKSE with MO. I did mine to allow MO to see the scripts for modding purposes, but he's the authority here ;) ) Find the SKSE folder. There should be a Plugins folder and MAYBE a SKSE.ini. If not, create a new text document and in it, put:

[Memory]

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

What this does is instead of Skyrim allocating 256MB for memory, and 256 for scrap, and then adding another 256MB later when/if it needs it (this is where CTDs/problems occur) it will allocate the full 512MB from the beginning, alongside the 256MB scrap, totaling 768MB.
I also added the script cleaner to mine. It doesnt REMOVE the scripts, but kills them off as the orphaned scripts try to fire, improving performance and less errors and script jam-ups. I recommend this as well:
[General]

Hopefully AwfulArchdemon doesnt mind me posting this here, but its a useful bit of information thats helped me a lot!
Best Regards,
arr0w

You didn't have a skeleton correctly installed to go with the body you had.  For BBP bodies, you need a BBP compatible skeleton, for TBBP bodies, you need a TBBP compatible skeleton.  Not having that caused you crashes when you removed the armor.  

Also, you generally don't want to use Alpha builds of anything, and the memory patch was out for some time before SKSE devs decided to include it, in the forms of either tweaked skse dlls or the SSME mod.  I only use the alpha because a beta mod I'm testing requires it.

And now that I checked Skyrim's directory, I realized I forgot to remove SafetyLoad >_> ...

Ah that is probably correct, i DID have to re install my skeletons.

And true, there is also SSME, but i prefer it this way as to not add more to my LO. The original was so well written that the SKSE team decided to integrate it into their latest build. And while yes, alphas CAN be unstable, im merely going off my own experience in saying that ive used it with no problems. Im not saying that there ARENT any or that its bug free. But if you consider Skyrim modding in general, and even ONLY just vanilla skyrim, your definitely not bug free. therefor, i dont think using this build really makes it that much more risky. But, ultimately, its up to the user. Im just providing the information and MY recommendation. Not saying its a flawless solution to a very flawed problem.

Best Regards,

arr0w

^

Remember this?

Find the SKSE folder. There should be a Plugins folder and MAYBE a SKSE.ini. If not, create a new text document and in it, put:

[Memory]

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

[General]

I've developed quite a comprehensive, yet functional .ini file by taking advice like yours. I was a newb while I was 1st building it up, but people haven't steered me wrong (make sure you read further into posts when you find a "solution"!) yet. The people who were wrong about stuff were 'obviously' wrong, so always be a reader. Consider it "studying for a test".

Fortunately, arr0w is a reader (I know 'cause you 'liked' a much earlier post), which brings me to:

As long as you know your ini additions work well with many LL mods (keeping in mind that many require Nexus mods), then I have no problem with your suggestions being posted here. That's what this thread is for...MO discovery! If you don't "know" MO, we'll teach you guys all about it right here on...

logo.png

Your friendly neighborhood MO tech support guy, AwfulArchdemon

do unofficial skyrim patches just install as normal with MO?

ive only used unofficial patches with oblivion and it says thats its installed, once you start the game but on skyrim it doesnt say anything? (or is it meant to be like that)

Skyrim never tells you about any patches. It just starts. I installed the UPs through MO and all's well and good in my little corner of the universe.

do unofficial skyrim patches just install as normal with MO?

ive only used unofficial patches with oblivion and it says thats its installed, once you start the game but on skyrim it doesnt say anything? (or is it meant to be like that)

Yes. They install fine.

I love my patches. :heart: Just the same as the sequel to the Skyrim Update when combined. The Unofficial Patch Project Team did an excellent job on them.

^

Remember this?

Find the SKSE folder. There should be a Plugins folder and MAYBE a SKSE.ini. If not, create a new text document and in it, put:

[Memory]

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

[General]

I've developed quite a comprehensive, yet functional .ini file by taking advice like yours. I was a newb while I was 1st building it up, but people haven't steered me wrong (make sure you read further into posts when you find a "solution"!) yet. The people who were wrong about stuff were 'obviously' wrong, so always be a reader. Consider it "studying for a test".

Fortunately, arr0w is a reader (I know 'cause you 'liked' a much earlier post), which brings me to:

As long as you know your ini additions work well with many LL mods (keeping in mind that many require Nexus mods), then I have no problem with your suggestions being posted here. That's what this thread is for...MO discovery! If you don't "know" MO, we'll teach you guys all about it right here on...

Hahahaha yes Awful, a reader I most definitely am. Honestly, sometimes Im almost too analytical. Want an example? Ask me almost anything besides a simple yes/no question and my answer will always be multi-part, usually each dependent on several things. And a lot of  the time, I wont just give you a yer or no either. I tend to stay on the 'comprehensive' side when answering questions and especially when checking my mod info of any kind. Ironically, IRL, im relatively unorganized and somewhat lazy. But i like it that way. I know where all my stuff is at. Idgaf if you do or not :P

@AwfulArchdemon: Now dont quote me on this,,, Ive never looked over the MO ini's for skyrim and compared them to the ones installed by skyrim by default, but has it been considered to add VERIFIED performance-enhancing tweaks to the MO controlled ini's, either by default or as a 'Recommended' settings option? Of course, the SKSE.ini edits i mentioned wouldnt apply, but i remember that on my old install i had a file with all the ini edits id done and i did a few this install too, for various reasons that i cant remember. Again, its been awhile since ive looked at them through MO but just a thought.

Best Regards,

arr0w

ps: CACSKSOS FTW!!! :D

Okay fine, fine..    ._.   But no guarantees on when ill read it   B)

And you need to accept my friend request, all the trouble you and Tannin cause me when i switched to MO... 5 days man 5 DAYS... so much control and awesomeness, the mod priority order just refused to play nice with my LO that NMM crapped out to text document. xD

Ah well, gotta work for what you want, right? xD

Hey guys !

Finally I've decided to install and use MO ! W00t !

But there's something bugging me right now as I've launched MO for the very 1st time : 'Mod Organizer is not set up to handle nxm links. Associate it with nxm links ?'

Maybe it's because english is not my 1st language but I don't get it. What's the point ?

And is there an updated guide for beginners/advanced users ? I dunno if it is really useful but those on NM are pretty old ! (v 0.12 !!!!!)

Btw, in OP, Here is the Official MO Support Thread. link/site is dead !

EDIT - Wasn't this thread pinned in the good old days ?

EDIT 2 - My bad... Official MO Support Thread link is working now, servers were down when I clicked it it seems.

Hey guys !

But there's something bugging me right now as I've launched MO for the very 1st time : 'Mod Organizer is not set up to handle nxm links. Associate it with nxm links ?'

Maybe it's because english is not my 1st language but I don't get it. What's the point ?

Near the top is an icon of a screwdriver and wrench. That's the "configure settings and workarounds" button. Click it.

A new window will open and near the top of it is a tab called "workarounds". Click that.

In this tab you'll see a spot to add current NMM versions. You type in the most current version NMM number here (I think it's currently 0.48.2) and it needs changed whenever Nexus updates the NMM. You also choose sign options and so on this tab.

I would suggest just manually downloading from Nexus anyway. Then use the MO button at the top left to "install from an archive". This way you always have a copy of a mod stored on your machine in case you need it again.

Hey guys !

Near the top is an icon of a screwdriver and wrench. That's the "configure settings and workarounds" button. Click it.

A new window will open and near the top of it is a tab called "workarounds". Click that.

In this tab you'll see a spot to add current NMM versions. You type in the most current version NMM number here (I think it's currently 0.48.2) and it needs changed whenever Nexus updates the NMM. You also choose sign options and so on this tab.

I would suggest just manually downloading from Nexus anyway. Then use the MO button at the top left to "install from an archive". This way you always have a copy of a mod stored on your machine in case you need it again.

Quick and useful answer ! Thanks !

And I ALWAYS use the manual download option since I'm on LL forums and read all the wonderful things people think about NMM...   :lol:

EDIT - jfyi NMM latest version is 0.49.0

It's asking if you want MO to be the MM that dl's from Nexus instead of NMM when choosing 'download with manager'.

Official MO forum link has been fixed. Wish I knew why the hell that happened!

Thanks for the heads up, dje34. ;)

Oh ! So the servers weren't down after all ! No problem, it is always a pleasure to help the awesome members of these forums !