Fomm - Custom Build - 0.14.11.13

The problem is that such libs like JContainers (or JContainer? I forget) exist in the first place with such bad backwards compatibility. Installing 3.0 will break every mod that requires 2.0, there's no way around it, they simply cannot coexist.

Correct... They cannot "coexist" however they can be installed into the same manager if it is MO. This is unlike anything Nexus has for Skyrim.

The user just selects the version of the mod desired with all supported mods and click run.. The game starts and no problems. I have versions for Sexlab as far back as 1.15.. I have versions of FNIS from 3.5 up to the most current version 5.1.1 ;) once a user understands how to take avantage of this feature the problmes r/t having different mods and version compatibility fall to the wayside. All the user needs is to know which version of JContainers is needed for which mod.. Click and go. As you can see with the capture I have the current version of FNIS checked. If I decide to run older mods that require an older version of a mod be it Sexlab, FNIS, etc I just have to click on that mod in the profile along with all the other supported mods. Once you start doing it is is really quite easy fixing these compatibility issues.

You can install any number of conflicting mods and incomparable mods with MO. With MO no mod sees any other mod until activated and the game started. I gave advice on how to handle any conflicts on the previous post.

Now I agree with you that these mods should be backwards compatible and save game safe.

I'm going to check and see if MO has an API I could call into. If it does (or if the author can add one) it would let me automatically switch FOMM installlog files depending on the active MO profile.

This would be very cool.

Temporarily removing fomm's install log files helped me sidestep a few issues there trying get get different hud combos needing uHUD under different MO profiles. New profile: back up & clear out the install info folder, install the hud mods, & run uHUD through MO-ified fomm, pack up the merge files into a "uHUD for this profile" mod. Works fine, no more griping from fomm about not finding files that were never added under that profile, or thinking mods are active that aren't.

I ran into a separate issue though. oHUD's install script of all things, run under MO-ified fomm, decided to directly overwrite an xml file from Flashlight NVSE. The original was removed from Flashlight's MO mod folder in doing so, and parked in Fomm's install folder under 'overwrites', presumably for safekeeping if oHud is uninstalled and the original needs restored. (oHUD does this for a few other HUD mods too that it feels it can 'ihudify'.)

Removing the original and keeping it safe in that folder makes perfect sense in a non-MO environment, where files are dropped in and removed from the actual game's data folder. In MO this target folder is a virtual combination of files pulled in from the game data folder and the mod folders of the activated mods, depending on however you manipulate the install order. But MO's mod folder for Flashlight is now one file short and won't work if I activate it under a different profile, where the oHUD with the overwrite may not be installed. And if I did install oHUD anew the install script wouldn't detect the original file and so won't replace it with its own version either.

So if along with 'profilizing' the install log folder maybe this behavior could be changed to not do anything if the overwritten file was in an MO mod folder, you could be looking at complete compatibility.

So Docta.. you delete the installlog from FOMM to clean it up after creating the mod from the overwrites folder? That can save a lot of time when I start re-installing my mods for FNV. Currently I would have to uninstall them after "copying" them and creating a mod outside of MO to be installed through MO..

Also about the HUD mods.. Generally I have seen that people create a mod and and name it according to the HUD mods included. You can use a note option to keep the info fresh in case you forget. Then that mod can be used for any other mod that needs those combination of HUD mods.

So Docta.. you delete the installlog from FOMM to clean it up after creating the mod from the overwrites folder? That can save a lot of time when I start re-installing my mods for FNV. Currently I would have to uninstall them after "copying" them and creating a mod outside of MO to be installed through MO..

Yeah, if you're packing up what fomm leaves behind in MO's 'overwrites' into an MO mod, there's no need for fomm's install logs remembering all it did in case you decide to install. You uninstall by deactivating the mod in MO. Anything overridden before wins out again in MO's install order.

The only thing making this a bit risky is the other thing I talked about.

And cleaning out the install logs is absolutely necessary if you plan to have different combos of fomm-installed stuff (hud crap, some scripted fomods) in different profiles.

@zippy: good find, or maybe I'm just completely out of the loop ;)

Prideslayer,

just want to say "THANK YOU!!!" for this. I never thought a mod manager would, itself, need to be modded but apparently Nexczema is a ceaselessly evolving menace that continues to grow - the latest iteration of FOMM requires online connectivity to the wretched hive of scum and villainy just to use the Pkg Mgr. Total skullfcukery. Fortunately your work here totally saved the day, good sir.

Impossibly large props...

You mean the latest version of NMM?

Yeah.. it's getting really tiresome.

NMM is open source as well, I've thought of modding a version of that too to rip out that kind of shit. I made my own build of it a while back just to remove that annoying message at the bottom about paying to get around the download limit.. not sure if I have it anymore though hah.

No problem. Hopefully some time this winter I'll have time to finally get the main projects done like the new archive manager, and support for other non-fallout games like obv and skyrim.

You mean the latest version of NMM?

No, I mean the latest version of FOMM.

Picked up New Vegas cheap the other week, finally got around to installing it - dl'd FOMM in order to add a few mods, opened up the Package manager and was prompted to log in to...there. I refused, FOMM s#!t the bed and I eventually found your solution which somehow, inexplicably, magikally doesn't "need" to be connected to anything in order to extract a simple FOMOD.

So, again, super mega thanks. Don't know why they basically ruined FOMM with the latest update, those a-holes can f'n suck it, but you, sir - you rawk.

Ahhhh

That "official" FOMM is what this one is based on, and that's one of the reasons I started this project. That isn't a "new" feature, it's been that way for a long long time. That version is no longer maintained, it stopped when NMM started. The actual problem is that if you have the update check enabled and don't log in, it crashes. It doesn't do that if you disable the update check.

It's something I ripped out of this one, actually the first or second thing I did, over a year ago. :)

Ahhhh...the actual problem is that if you have the update check enabled and don't log in, it crashes...it's something I ripped out of this one, actually the first or second thing I did, over a year ago. :)

Hmmm, that's interesting - the version of FOMM I was using for FO3, by default, didn't prompt for login with the Package manager, stayed open during and after playing the game, and would launch the game via FOSE without Steam running. No f'n clue what version the thing was. So you can imagine my dismay at re-downloading FOMM and having to jump through a bunch of hoops in order for it to do what it's supposedly designed to do.

I really liked being able to launch without dicking around with Steam (yes, my games are legit, but forced online anything rubs me the wrong way). I'm currently running in offline mode, but any thoughts on how to get back to the Open FOMM/Check mods/Launch FOSE (in this case, NVSE) simplicity of yore? Regardless, I will be using your version of FOMM from here on out, and thanks again for your work and insight. Happy Halloween...

p.s. a mighty and pre-emptive "F U" to any self-righteous pills who feel the need to assert that anyone who dislikes/hates/eschews Steam is engaging in talk of piracy or whatever. You need to accept the fact some people actually have brains and, as a result, don't enjoy having things they pay for locked away behind arbitrary "requirements" and other controls determined by some corporation. See also: Xbone always on backlash, D3 always on backlash, Sims always on backlash, etc. 

Ahhhh...the actual problem is that if you have the update check enabled and don't log in, it crashes...it's something I ripped out of this one, actually the first or second thing I did, over a year ago. :)

Hmmm, that's interesting - the version of FOMM I was using for FO3, by default, didn't prompt for login with the Package manager, stayed open during and after playing the game, and would launch the game via FOSE without Steam running. No f'n clue what version the thing was. So you can imagine my dismay at re-downloading FOMM and having to jump through a bunch of hoops in order for it to do what it's supposedly designed to do.

That is likely a pre-FONV version. It's FONV that requires Steam (It was not sold any other way for PCs), not FOMM. FOMM does 'kickstart' steam because it's required to be running for the game to start, but it only does that with FONV.

I really liked being able to launch without dicking around with Steam (yes, my games are legit, but forced online anything rubs me the wrong way). I'm currently running in offline mode, but any thoughts on how to get back to the Open FOMM/Check mods/Launch FOSE (in this case, NVSE) simplicity of yore? Regardless, I will be using your version of FOMM from here on out, and thanks again for your work and insight. Happy Halloween...

I don't know what you mean. You can do this just fine. The main executable, FalloutNV.exe, starts steam if it's not already running. This has nothing to do with FOMM.

You're the one coming off "self righteous", if anyone is.

That is likely a pre-FONV version. It's FONV that requires Steam (It was not sold any other way for PCs), not FOMM. FOMM does 'kickstart' steam because it's required to be running for the game to start, but it only does that with FONV.

Ah, OK - if I understand correctly, what you're saying is that FO3 can start up without Steam via FOMM but NV launches differently? That'd pretty much explain it, then! Damn, I was really fond of the low overhead of launching the game without antiquated DRM running in the background.

I don't know what you mean. You can do this just fine. The main executable, FalloutNV.exe, starts steam if it's not already running. This has nothing to do with FOMM.

You're the one coming off "self righteous", if anyone is.

Hope I clarified it above - I was able to start the game through FOMM without launching Steaming. I figured it had something to do with FOSE.

And BTW my addendum wasn't aimed at you - I *hate* how Steam is viewed as this sort of sacred cow amongst the gaming community where pretty much any criticism of it or talk of loosening its grip is instantly, insanely and more often than not wrongly categorized as "derp ur a pirate u should by ur games and if u don't like TOS u don't need to play games." Modding forums seem particularly susceptible to this phenomenon for whatever reason.

Steam doesn't have much of an impact with my main gaming rig, so whatever. But I travel frequently and my laptop is significantly less robust. Even in offline mode Steam seems to eat up about a 1/2GB of RAM and this *does* impact my gaming experience, especially with Fallout/Skyrim. It wasn't my intention to rub you the wrong way, but If wanting to play my games as optimally as possible means I'm self-righteous, well, I apologize for nothing.

Let's put a pin in that for now though, eh? I appreciate the insight, clarifications and, of course, the custom build itself. Also, one of your older posts explaining how to clear out DLC NAM files in GECK was pretty helpful, too...

Ah, OK - if I understand correctly, what you're saying is that FO3 can start up without Steam via FOMM but NV launches differently? That'd pretty much explain it, then! Damn, I was really fond of the low overhead of launching the game without antiquated DRM running in the background.

Yes. You can test this yourself. Close steam down and go run the FO3 EXE in the main dir. It'll start fine, no steam. Quit. Start FONV the same way. It will start steam first.

Even in offline mode Steam seems to eat up about a 1/2GB of RAM

Something is wrong with your steam install I suspect. That's more than ten times what it uses on my machines. I'm running the beta on my main desktop, regular version on my HTPC and Laptop, they're all pretty much the same.

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably a dumb question that has been asked and answered before, but how do I edit FOMM to launch fnv4gb?

Settings > Fallout: New Vegas Tab > Command Field: fnv4gb.exe

It's been a while but I think I had to move exes around and put them in the right place too.  ie. fnv4gb.exe in root and move FalloutNV.exe to exes sub directory?  Something like that.

I had this problem too. I was about to tell you what Pride told me but he beat me to the punch. :)

So I've installed TTW, and ever since then all mods come up with a "cannot install mod, file exists". I searched my data folder and no, the file doesn't. None of the files of the mod exist, so FOMM is lying to me, why?

I'm using build 0.14.11.10

• 1 month later...

Getting ready to install the new FOMM thought it was time since I am thinking about redoing my fallout NV game and since I'm still using fomm 0.13.21 and thought I might as well install the new one while I'm redoing Fallout NV. I downloaded and noticed I still have the fomm 0.13.21 build in my download folder who knows how long it's been in there but I guess I will keep it never know when I might need it for some weird reason and might as well redo NVSE as well have no clue how old that one is.

Well it seems my old fomm 0.13.21 build is going back into play sooner then expected. I tried installing the new one after uninstalling everything and installing the game back it kept throwing up a .net 4 error even though I already had 4.5 something I even tried uninstalling it and then installed the .net 4 one and still got the error. I searched for awhile but couldn't find anything and finally decided just to install the old one back. Maybe I will search for it some more when I get a chance so if and when I need to redo fallout NV again I will have the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Prideslayer: It's an issue with the 7zip library (ran into the same issue with the TTW installer), patching FOMM to enable 4GB address space fixes the issue with installing large mods like TTW. Scorpion fixed the 7zip lib for use with the TTW installer. It's easy enough to enable the flag in the compiler options, and I don't really see a reason not to as it doesn't affect 32 bit operating systems.

NMM has the same bug, and it's with any very large mod not just TTW.

Feature request, can you add time stamp sorting method for load order rather than the plugin list method, so it's more compatible with wrye and for those who have migrated from NMM.

I will look over the code and see what it will take to make the 4GB change. Just setting that flag is not safe, despite successes seen with things like the 4GB loader.

As for the load order, I plan to move it over to the same system that all those guys (wrye, nmm, boss/loot) agreed on, using timestamps, plugins.txt, and loadorder.txt. More info here: http://www.gamesas.com/load-order-and-you-t218673.htmlJust haven't had time to do it yet, along with LOOT integration.

I will look over the code and see what it will take to make the 4GB change. Just setting that flag is not safe, despite successes seen with things like the 4GB loader.

As for the load order, I plan to move it over to the same system that all those guys (wrye, nmm, boss/loot) agreed on, using timestamps, plugins.txt, and loadorder.txt. More info here: http://www.gamesas.com/load-order-and-you-t218673.htmlJust haven't had time to do it yet, along with LOOT integration.

Nice read.. Now I understand (somewhat) what all those added .txt files are and why there are so many.. :D. It would be so nice to have FOMM compliant with these as well.

I've been using these updated versions of FOMM for awhile and I'm wondering if it's an issue on my end or something that's fixable but when I have a lot of mods in FOMM it slows to a crawl when activating/deactivating or simply moving ESP's around in the load order. I'm not sure how to explain it better but I'll try. I'll click on a box to activate a mod and it will freeze up for a minute or so, giving me the "Not Responding" thing and eventually the mod will check.

It could be my PC which is an AMD Dual-Core 2ghz, 4GB RAM... but I'm just not sure what it is and am simply seeking clarification.