[mod] Calcifire's Portrait Pack

Hey im having a problem with the aquatic and intergalactic empires not spawning, I made custom empires using those two species groups and neither of them spawn, normal species groups are fine. Also thanks for answering my earlier question.

1 hour ago, Kurtkaga said:

Hey im having a problem with the aquatic and intergalactic empires not spawning, I made custom empires using those two species groups and neither of them spawn, normal species groups are fine. Also thanks for answering my earlier question.

Looks like I mistakenly had their "randomization" boolean set to "no" instead of "yes". Woops. Latest version fixes the issue. Thanks for the bug report!

So this is a bit odd. Got the directors cut installed and working for the most part. Just about all races have been replaced except for the humanoids. No clue what could be doing this.

Edit: So I got the Human sub-species to work (wanna guess why it didn't?) but the still can't find a way to play the other humanoids shown in the images. Are they a unplayable species or do I need to do some more trial and error to get it to work.

Edited by DeltaZone
On 7/26/2021 at 5:18 PM, DeltaZone said:

So this is a bit odd. Got the directors cut installed and working for the most part. Just about all races have been replaced except for the humanoids. No clue what could be doing this.

Edit: So I got the Human sub-species to work (wanna guess why it didn't?) but the still can't find a way to play the other humanoids shown in the images. Are they a unplayable species or do I need to do some more trial and error to get it to work.

I never actually play tested the game without the all the DLC enabled until you brought this up, but now I'm kind of in a tight spot. I don't know if I'm technically allowed to fix this. In fact actually it might be worse. I'm not an EULA lawyer, but I actually think I need to go in and restrict access to certain species from people who don't own the Plantoids, Lithoids, and Necroids DLCs as well.

I'll just quote Paradox Interactive...

"7) Mods created with content owned by Paradox Interactive must be made so that they will only be usable by players who have the corresponding game or DLC installed. If this requirement is beyond the technical ability of the particular mod maker (or it is impossible due to the nature of said mod) then they cannot be used."

I'm going to leave the mod as is for now... But idk what to do. This really sucks, I'll have to think about it. I don't want to restrict access to parts of my mod behind a fucking pay wall, but its might literally be what I have to do to avoid a cease and desist.... Am I gonna have to submit to the copyright gods? This sucks.

On a technical level, the standalone version is of no concern, but under the hood the Directors Cut version does interact with the Paradox DLCs to get the job done. Sorry everyone, but unless I hear a good argument about how my code work doesn't apply to rule 7 of the EULA im gonna have to ruin the fun.

7 hours ago, Calcifire said:

I'm going to leave the mod as is for now... But idk what to do. This really sucks, I'll have to think about it. I don't want to restrict access to parts of my mod behind a fucking pay wall, but its might literally be what I have to do to avoid a cease and desist.... Am I gonna have to submit to the copyright gods? This sucks.

Lustful Void does this as well (and to be fair, some of these dlc are almost mandatory to the game experience itself) so in all honesty. Don't feel bad about doing this. It's this or 5 years of work (I believe?) down the drain so the choice is pretty obvious in my eyes.

11 hours ago, Calcifire said:

I never actually play tested the game without the all the DLC enabled until you brought this up, but now I'm kind of in a tight spot. I don't know if I'm technically allowed to fix this. In fact actually it might be worse. I'm not an EULA lawyer, but I actually think I need to go in and restrict access to certain species from people who don't own the Plantoids, Lithoids, and Necroids DLCs as well.

"7) Mods created with content owned by Paradox Interactive must be made so that they will only be usable by players who have the corresponding game or DLC installed. If this requirement is beyond the technical ability of the particular mod maker (or it is impossible due to the nature of said mod) then they cannot be used."

On a technical level, the standalone version is of no concern, but under the hood the Directors Cut version does interact with the Paradox DLCs to get the job done. Sorry everyone, but unless I hear a good argument about how my code work doesn't apply to rule 7 of the EULA im gonna have to ruin the fun.

As a former CK2 modder, if you need DLC to play x in your mod then you list it as a requirement for your mod. You can't repackage any of what Pdox did and give it away. There are two ways to handle this. The first is to make it part of your mod completely or you can have it as an add on. Most people I knew modding would add it in to the full mod and update the requirements. 

12 hours ago, Calcifire said:

you are fine. it is basically when you make a archetype for a species such as Humans, Mollusks, Plants, Shipgirls, etc  so that is not an issue if your replacing or adding to those . now if you just took the shipsets,portraits, etc directly and put them in then that would be against that. in short if you take all the EXACT same content and just shuffle the names around thats a problem. but you are A) Making new portraits, B) making new traits and changing the icons of another mods traits but not adding DLC exclusive traits C) your not bringing in the shipsets with a slightly different name D) for the person with the humanoid issue honestly i have had stuff like that happen and it tends to just be a conflict somewhere that may require merging or reording of files. so overall you are fine. 

22 hours ago, Whatatwist999 said:

So I followed the install instructions on the page. Put the zip file in my Stellaris mods folder and extracted the file with all the stuff and the MOD file, but it isn't showing up in the mod menu in the launcher. Any idea how I could fix that?

make sure the .mod file in the mod folder has the pathing set correctly and the folder name set correctly. the launcher sometimes screws with those for some unexplainable reason. also you may need to add the mod to the playlist

Wow, very nice job, obviously a lot of effort went into it. Agree with you 100% on the lack of consistent style and quality preventing enjoyment of most portrait packs out there. Now I can finally uninstall the various humanoid portrait packs and elf packs and enjoy the full breadth of randomly generated lewd races, lmao.

One of the male portraits (the bull one) appears with a cow portrait, not sure if that's actually intended but it's a neat touch, I wish you could add that to other portraits.

May I suggest an update with some human/elf males that don't look like femboys? Need it for roleplaying, kthanks

Edited by camistrie

I love the mod's custom factions and portraits, they're fantastic.  But as I've been playing with it, I've come to see that removing the trait costs, both in terms of the slots they take up and their values, is the worst possible way to implement this idea.  Once you hit the stage where the AI empires have unlocked the ability to modify their species, they just spam every trait that they can add.

Some kind of limit on these traits is desperately needed, and until it's present the mod becomes unplayable in the late game due to the sheer number and variety of species that get produced as a result of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 6:23 PM, schroecat said:

Some kind of limit on these traits is desperately needed, and until it's present the mod becomes unplayable in the late game due to the sheer number and variety of species that get produced as a result of it.

Would be awesome if we got an optional trait pack that use trait points just to avoid that whole mess 

• 2 weeks later...

::ANNOUNCEMENT::

::UPDATE 1::

is here..

1150126771_PhenotypeUPDATE1.jpg.d50256eb

First of all, this mod got a better response than I expected, and this made me want to do a little more work on it, so thanks. Shout out to the mad lad who actually donated. 

Anyway, back to business. This update includes...

x6 new playable species:: 5 of which are showcased above
x6 event species:: azizian slugs, stranded scientists, etc. Really the game atm is only lacking a unique species for the mollusciod miners event now.
x3 origins species:: one of them only spawns if you pick Scions Origin but don't actually set the game to spawn any fallen empires
x5 fallen empire species::
traits costs added:: Imbalanced, but I hope its a middle ground between infinity and free customization... as best I could manage that senseless statement
DLC content locked:: If you don't own Plantoids, Humanoids, Lithoids, or Necroids you no longer have access to those species archetypes or their portraits. I know it sucks, but EULA says I have to. Sorry. With the new Lem update adding onto these DLCs, this is the right thing to do.

On 9/4/2021 at 9:08 PM, DeltaZone said:

Would be awesome if we got an optional trait pack that use trait points just to avoid that whole mess 

In my latest version, I have hopefully struck maybe a middle ground between customizability and infinite trait absurdity... Hopefully it is... It's not easy to test balance for.

so i dont know if i fucked something up, but i downloaded the directors cut version and it made all my traits added by the LV cost 0, same as the trait version(i downloaded all 3 to check), and im not sure if this was intended? in the description it said they should have a cost, while replacing vanilla images, so now im using only the version that adds them as separate species and it kinda bums me out since this mod adds many cool traits.(i almost forgot to mention i played this on the 3.1Lem version of stellaris). Do u think u could upload the version where all traits have costs?