[mod] Calcifire's Portrait Pack

Once again, you continue to improve upon a great mod with a unique visual style. I've noticed a problem however, where many species files seem to be broken somehow. I'm not sure if this is somehow a problem of mine or that there's something wrong with the files. 

An example of what I mean is that all of the fallen portraits and many of the event portraits from the gfx folder of the directors cut seem to be undisplayable ingame as well as not showing a picture in the zip file.

example.png

Edited by trilosis
added an example photo
15 hours ago, GameMaster9k said:

so i dont know if i fucked something up, but i downloaded the directors cut version and it made all my traits added by the LV cost 0, same as the trait version(i downloaded all 3 to check), and im not sure if this was intended? in the description it said they should have a cost, while replacing vanilla images, so now im using only the version that adds them as separate species and it kinda bums me out since this mod adds many cool traits.(i almost forgot to mention i played this on the 3.1Lem version of stellaris). Do u think u could upload the version where all traits have costs?

Just unfortunate timing. In the update I happened to post yesterday addresses this.

5 hours ago, trilosis said:

Once again, you continue to improve upon a great mod with a unique visual style. I've noticed a problem however, where many species files seem to be broken somehow. I'm not sure if this is somehow a problem of mine or that there's something wrong with the files. 

An example of what I mean is that all of the fallen portraits and many of the event portraits from the gfx folder of the directors cut seem to be undisplayable ingame as well as not showing a picture in the zip file.

Those are as they should be. For the sake of fun, I thought it would be cool to give the games minor factions unique artwork. Enclaves, Fallen Empires, Marauders, and so on. While I understand that maybe some people would want to play as them, that would also rob them of their specialness. Think of it as like a reward for doing things in game. 

14 minutes ago, Calcifire said:

Those are as they should be. For the sake of fun, I thought it would be cool to give the games minor factions unique artwork. Enclaves, Fallen Empires, Marauders, and so on. While I understand that maybe some people would want to play as them, that would also rob them of their specialness. Think of it as like a reward for doing things in game. 

I understand that, what I mean is that many of the .dds files that don't display pictures like in the example I've sent wont show up ingame at all, regardless of playability.

3 minutes ago, trilosis said:

I understand that, what I mean is that many of the .dds files that don't display pictures like in the example I've sent wont show up ingame at all, regardless of playability.

The thumbnail displayability of .dds images in File Explorer is just a Windows OS finicky thing. I have seen exactly what you've referenced in that image plenty of times, it's nothing to worry about. Doesn't relate to whether or not the files can be opened and rendered by Stellaris.

However, just incase, I ran a test a couple seconds ago and... All of the Fallen Empire and Enclaves are rendering just fine. Here... do you mind doing a little test for me?

Go to your game and open up one of your planets building menus. Open up the console command menu with the "~" key and type... "event colony.152". It should slap 3 pops from the fallout shelter quest. Those pops should be of a species that use the fallout_female_X.dds files.

2 hours ago, Calcifire said:

The thumbnail displayability of .dds images in File Explorer is just a Windows OS finicky thing. I have seen exactly what you've referenced in that image plenty of times, it's nothing to worry about. Doesn't relate to whether or not the files can be opened and rendered by Stellaris.

However, just incase, I ran a test a couple seconds ago and... All of the Fallen Empire and Enclaves are rendering just fine. Here... do you mind doing a little test for me?

Go to your game and open up one of your planets building menus. Open up the console command menu with the "~" key and type... "event colony.152". It should slap 3 pops from the fallout shelter quest. Those pops should be of a species that use the fallout_female_X.dds files.

Thanks for the information regarding dds files, it's good to learn things like that. However, regarding the experiment you wanted me to perform, I've tried it but the event seems to spawn random species portraits from both vanilla and modded species. Perhaps it's a mod compatability issue? I've also tried testing the Nivlac event chain to see if the species would spawn with the portrait you've created, but it seems to spawn with the 15th Fungoid portrait (I haven't gotten the Nivlac event chain in a while so I'm not sure if that's actually the default portrait that they use).

I also remembered that I made a personal tweak with your directors cut where I deleted all of the files except the "babe_species_classes" in the species_classes folder so that I could use the vanilla portraits+yours as well as your traits together, perhaps that could also be the issue?

Fungoid_massive_15.png

Edited by trilosis
fungoid portrait #15
1 hour ago, trilosis said:

I also remembered that I made a personal tweak with your directors cut where I deleted all of the files except the "babe_species_classes" in the species_classes folder so that I could use the vanilla portraits+yours as well as your traits together, perhaps that could also be the issue?

Okay, well, that's precisely why they don't work. Assuming you don't want to restore all the deleted files to fix this issue, I'll offer some specifics. At a bare minimum, you are going to need to restore the "common/graphics_culture" and "common/species_archetypes" folder to avoid potential game crashes

"common/anomalies" - replaces some default human species with my hand drawn humans

"common/country_customization" - when playing with the mechanist origin, ensure you have hand drawn robot pops on your starting planet.

"common/diplo_phrases" - some vanilla species have custom dialogue that is unique to them, this ensure that my hand drawn species can also trigger this dialogue

"common/fallen_empires" - tells the game to replace vanilla FE species with hand drawn species

"common/scripted_effects" - tells the game to use my hand drawn species for the Horizons Signal DLC and the Bemat Thalassocracy end-game crisis 

"common/scripted_triggers" - tells the game which of my hand drawn species can be used for robotic, lithoid, or necroid empires in random generation

"common/solar_systems_initializers" - tells the game when to use hand drawn species inside solar systems, such as putting japanese school girl roaches on a nuked version of Earth

"events" - basically every quest that spawns a species is told to use my hand drawn artwork in this folder

14 hours ago, Calcifire said:

Okay, well, that's precisely why they don't work. Assuming you don't want to restore all the deleted files to fix this issue, I'll offer some specifics. At a bare minimum, you are going to need to restore the "common/graphics_culture" and "common/species_archetypes" folder to avoid potential game crashes

"common/anomalies" - replaces some default human species with my hand drawn humans

"common/country_customization" - when playing with the mechanist origin, ensure you have hand drawn robot pops on your starting planet.

"common/diplo_phrases" - some vanilla species have custom dialogue that is unique to them, this ensure that my hand drawn species can also trigger this dialogue

"common/fallen_empires" - tells the game to replace vanilla FE species with hand drawn species

"common/scripted_effects" - tells the game to use my hand drawn species for the Horizons Signal DLC and the Bemat Thalassocracy end-game crisis 

"common/scripted_triggers" - tells the game which of my hand drawn species can be used for robotic, lithoid, or necroid empires in random generation

"common/solar_systems_initializers" - tells the game when to use hand drawn species inside solar systems, such as putting japanese school girl roaches on a nuked version of Earth

"events" - basically every quest that spawns a species is told to use my hand drawn artwork in this folder

I should've worded that better lol. What I meant was that I deleted everything from the "species_classes" folder with the exception of the "02_babe_species_classes.txt" file (I had renamed that to babe_species_classes.txt for my tweak). "01_base_species_classes.txt" and "00_species_classes.txt" were the only two specific things that I had ever deleted, nothing else was touched. I'm going to try to restore those two files and see what happens.

update: It seems that the tweak that I was using is no longer needed as everything I needed works fine with the the restored files, but many portraits from this mod still don't show up. At least I know it wasn't the tweak I guess.

Edited by trilosis

I don't know what exactly I am doing wrong if anything; but when I install the directors edition of this mod along side Lustful Void all of the Lustful void perks for machine races disappear, as well as some other random perks from it; which... really really sucks cause I love the art for the machine races in this mod. (Am I stupid and just wasting your time or... is this actually a problem with the mod?) 

Love the mod btw, always hated the disparity in artstyles with other portrait packs and really love... basically all of the art.

Edited by Lewd Chaos
11 minutes ago, Lewd Chaos said:

I don't know what exactly I am doing wrong if anything; but when I install the directors edition of this mod along side Lustful Void all of the Lustful void perks for machine races disappear, as well as some other random perks from it; which... really really sucks cause I love the art for the machine races in this mod. (Am I stupid and just wasting your time or... is this actually a problem with the mod?) 

Love the mod btw, always hated the disparity in artstyles with other portrait packs and really love... basically all of the art.

I don't have that problem. Do you run the game with mods? A conflicting mod can be a likely answer to why you having missing perks, another solution is to place the mod as low as you can in your mod list if you have one, just above the most essential mods like patches and anything that overhauls the game.

2 minutes ago, trilosis said:

I don't have that problem. Do you run the game with mods? A conflicting mod can be a likely answer to why you having missing perks, another solution is to place the mod as low as you can in your mod list if you have one, just above the most essential mods like patches and anything that overhauls the game.

Thanks for the help, but that is what is so weird; I only have UI overhaul dynamic, Most Recent version of Lustful Void & Calcifire's Director's Cut installed; and the mechanic race perks only disappear when I add the directors cut mod

2 minutes ago, Lewd Chaos said:

Thanks for the help, but that is what is so weird; I only have UI overhaul dynamic, Most Recent version of Lustful Void & Calcifire's Director's Cut installed; and the mechanic race perks only disappear when I add the directors cut mod

This may seem super obvious in hindsight but do you have the directors cut placed below UI overhaul dynamic? That may be a reason that the perks aren't showing up, if that's not the issue, the only other things I can think of is to see if the directors cut mod works if you deactivate UI overhaul dynamic or to use the regular version of this mod+the trait pack. Good luck! 

36 minutes ago, trilosis said:

This may seem super obvious in hindsight but do you have the directors cut placed below UI overhaul dynamic? That may be a reason that the perks aren't showing up, if that's not the issue, the only other things I can think of is to see if the directors cut mod works if you deactivate UI overhaul dynamic or to use the regular version of this mod+the trait pack. Good luck! 

Hmmm, tried everything; and the regular portrait pack version doesn't count the "mechanic" portraits added as actually being mechanic either so I can't really use that.

Are you using the Director's cut version?

Edited by Lewd Chaos
4 minutes ago, Lewd Chaos said:

Hmmm, tried everything; and the regular portrait pack version doesn't count the "mechanic" portraits added as actually being mechanic either so I can't really use that.

Are you using the Director's cut version?

I'm sorry it didn't work out, and yes I'm using the directors cut, maybe when the author of the thread eventually checks this thread out they'll be able to help you in a better way then myself.

11 hours ago, Lewd Chaos said:

Wowee. You basically put me on a syntax hunt that resulted in me finding an extra quotation mark down in the code. Man, I wonder how long that was there for?

Hot fix has been pushed out, and available as the current download 

This is great work man! I agree with the idea that consistent art styles make for a more professional package. I liked what vanilla framework was going for and this is even more along those lines. Basically a cohesive complete feeling game with just a bit of lewd thrown in. I'm going to be jumping between this, vf and SE humanoids depending on mood.

Thanks for the effort, it must have been a crazy amount of idle drawing over the years!

Also, are the new icons included in the director's cut? I just realized i've been testing with both the cut and the traits mod at the same time because I assumed it wasn't included but that it might not be the case.

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

On 9/26/2021 at 6:01 AM, unwashed biomass said:

Very Nice mod, kinda reminds me of princess lewd game i was playing quite time ago. But there is some issues, first one is that races tend to spawn without name obraz.thumb.png.17934db9d3a258f118ab66e31a374452.png

and this one is quite a bummer. Second is minor: obraz.thumb.png.c568644dd6965175c60e5091f5b79ec7.pngOne reptillian specie is not fitting to screen, unless it's intentional. Overall i would love to see more of this mod. Cheers.

Ah interesting. Seeing as this is only effecting the custom species archetypes I made for the game, I can already tell where this "bug" is coming from. Not as easy fix, but I just need to get creative and come up with a "random species names" list for them to utilize.

As far as the second question goes. It's intentional. I didn't know how else to show them as being really tall, but at least it's kinda funny too look at.

This mod is literally the best portrait pack out there. The only other sets I keep around besides these vanilla overwrites are Elves of Stellaris and the Asari mod by the same group, & lewd patches.

I'm sure these took literally forever to make but I'd love to see some additional kinds - my faves are the hermaphroditic spiders and the tall lanky lizardgirls. Would love to see what their faces look like - maybe a few portrait variants of them leaning down to look at the viewer? Plspls.

21 hours ago, WolfOfPasloe said:

This mod is literally the best portrait pack out there. The only other sets I keep around besides these vanilla overwrites are Elves of Stellaris and the Asari mod by the same group, & lewd patches.

I'm sure these took literally forever to make but I'd love to see some additional kinds - my faves are the hermaphroditic spiders and the tall lanky lizardgirls. Would love to see what their faces look like - maybe a few portrait variants of them leaning down to look at the viewer? Plspls.

No promises for the lizard girls getting a new pose, but I mean... I can still at least share what they looked like before I cropped out their heads.

::Cursed Image spoiler warning::

Spoiler

Face Reveal.jpg

Edited by Calcifire
3 hours ago, Big Daddy Deer said:

Absolutely love the portraits man! Would love to see any more you make in the future.

Also, one thing. You take commissions, or do you have any other art anywhere? Absolutely love your stuff.

This is THE only place on the net that I've posted my artwork. No twitter, no nothing. What can I say? I'm a lurker.

But anyway, I doubt I'd take up a payed commission, though DMs are always free. I'll just point out that I did all this for fun. Hell, I drew orange Renamon in a hijab for no good reason. I think that says a lot. I will say though, that I'm totally out of ideas for xenos anyways. If people want to ask to have their favorite sci-fi girls added to Stellaris, then feel free to give it a shot. If anything, I'm very open to a public brainstorm to help me with new content.

I'm happy to take donations, but I don't think I'd accept any offers for payed work. I know a couple of lewd artists IRL and both of them have gotten sick of drawing furry dick all the time. Really what is was, was that they started producing artwork that made them feel uncomfortable, but they couldn't turn down the money. You can imagine, right? How many times do you betray yourself in exchange for cash before it starts eating away at your soul? I know it would be financial suicide for them to quit, but a part of me wishes they would just get a minimum wage job like myself and learn to enjoy drawing for themselves again. Anyway, that was an odd tangent. Tip jar is open, DMs are open, commissions..... meh, I doubt it.