Is Oblivion worth returning to?

18 hours ago, Kain82 said:

I play male but I love to have a harem of sexy females around.  Especially when my character becomes the Mad God then I can add Saint's and Seducers to the mix.

Now that's why i should reinstall oblivion and the mods again.
everytime i screw something, last time i screwed it with the unofficial patches, and got really mad at the point that i erased my mods folder...
yeah that's what i did because i get lazy to reinstall everything and mad after failing time after time
(im kind of idiot thinking about it, but with pride xD)

On 6/20/2021 at 4:23 PM, adrian8520 said:

Hi all, sorry if this is a stupid question but I wanted the opinion of the experts here as I play Oblivion and Skyrim as H games. Over the years I've played both of them extensively but as I change HDD's to SSD's and so forth, I've probably played through both games 3 times as H games since 2017. Are either of them worth returning to in terms of new content? Is Oblivion still getting new H mods at all, or is it more or less the same as it was 5 years ago? 

Thanks friends!

For H content I'd say stick with Skyrim. I tried getting into it with Oblivion several months ago and the H stuff hasn't aged very well imo. Maybe I've just been spoiled with SexLab, its numerous (and often better) animations, and all the visual mods to make pretty characters in Skyrim. If you're interested in going back to Oblivion, I would honestly do it just for the sake of playing the game as it originally was without the H stuff. At the most, maybe install Oblivion Character Overhaul version 2 and some skimpy outfits to help scratch that itch, but otherwise stick to Skyrim for the actual hardcore H content.

Edited by HentaiGnome

I don't get why people are bashing Bethesda games so much. Look at fantasy games these days. It's almost always the same oversized pauldron generic medieval fantasy isekai crap. At least the Elder Scrolls series tried to create a very unique and immersive world with its own deep lore and background while not stepping out of the boundaries of the genre too much. The games are not bad if you can understand their limitations. Think of the TES IV and V as more like adventure games rather than an action combat rpg. The lore and feeling of being immersed into this wonder and magic filled world is more important for the player's enjoyment than gameplay mechanics. That's how I think Terry Pratchett saw Oblivion. I'd say Morrowind was the best game lore and theme wise though it's a bit dated by now, and Skyrim is best in terms of the variety and availability  of mods. But because Oblivion was my first TES game it will always hold a special place in my heart. In fact I'm considering giving it another playthrough right now with Oscuros and a bunch of other overhaul mods.

Oblivion has a good engine and constructor, as well as tools for 3D programs. But the developers themselves used all these tools very poorly, so the vanilla version is incredibly dull. 

Well, I can understand them, it's still just a job for them, and not a fairy tale, as for the players. 

The only strange thing is that the developers do not give all the means for creativity for the community, although it may have something to do with copyright.

For example, as far as animation is concerned, it took me several years to figure out how the skeleton works for the actors, and it's quite difficult, at least it's the level of a good student :), but could have given it all together with the constructor

Edited by TDA
On 8/17/2021 at 1:05 PM, Kain82 said:

Yes, it's still worth playing.  I love Skyrim it's my favorite TES game after Morrowind.  Recently I got a new computer and installed all three games.  I have two external HDD's filled with Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind mods, and installing the Skyrim mods has been slow going.  But I do have Oblivion fully modded and what keeps me coming back are two things.  The Dark Brotherhood questline and The Shivering Isles Expansion Pack.  As for adult mods I use the mandatory Lovers mod, the DMRA body with animation packs such as BBB, and a ton of skimpy DMRA clothing.  I play male but I love to have a harem of sexy females around.  Especially when my character becomes the Mad God then I can add Saint's and Seducers to the mix.

Even Morrowind has  DMRA now , lol.

Definitely.

A new set of mods, a different (or random) character, a different career and development path, and it's a new game every time.  The graphics and engine have stood up fairly well, and if the Radiant AI and dialogue gets somewhat predictable over time, there's a certain nostalgia associated with that as well.

Well worth a replay.  Definitely worth a first play-through (if on PC, and not from Steam).

T.T.S.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 4:15 PM, teitogun said:

I don't get why people are bashing Bethesda games so much. Look at fantasy games these days. It's almost always the same oversized pauldron generic medieval fantasy isekai crap. At least the Elder Scrolls series tried to create a very unique and immersive world with its own deep lore and background while not stepping out of the boundaries of the genre too much. The games are not bad if you can understand their limitations. Think of the TES IV and V as more like adventure games rather than an action combat rpg. The lore and feeling of being immersed into this wonder and magic filled world is more important for the player's enjoyment than gameplay mechanics. That's how I think Terry Pratchett saw Oblivion. I'd say Morrowind was the best game lore and theme wise though it's a bit dated by now, and Skyrim is best in terms of the variety and availability  of mods. But because Oblivion was my first TES game it will always hold a special place in my heart. In fact I'm considering giving it another playthrough right now with Oscuros and a bunch of other overhaul mods.

Agreed. And you know what's ironic? These people that bash Bethesda games are the same people that keep on playing them. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say these are the same people that make/use mods for Bethesda games, totally ignoring the fact that the mods would NOT exist had the actual games not been made in the first place. (In short, why not thank Bethesda instead of bashing them? Lol...) This hypocrisy needs to be addressed imo. But I shouldn't be surprised since we're in the generation of self-entitled gamers lol.

I recently tried to get into Oblivion again. Just couldn't do it. After Skyrim SE, the graphics just can't cut it. Wanted to mod it to improve things, but trying to use Wrye Bash and OBMM & BOSS gave me an embolism. Vortex can't be used with it, because of Oblivion mod structuring, and I have tried several times to wrap my head around MO2 (which is the only modern manager that apparently is supposed to work with it) After several hours of beating my head against the wall, I gave up in frustration. I will likely play Skyblivion, if it ever gets released. But that is the only way I would ever want to experience playing Oblivion again.

Edited by Sandatharius
2 hours ago, Sandatharius said:

I recently tried to get into Oblivion again. Just couldn't do it. After Skyrim SE, the graphics just can't cut it. Wanted to mod it to improve things, but trying to use Wrye Bash and OBMM & BOSS gave me an embolism. Vortex can't be used with it, because of Oblivion mod structuring, and I have tried several times to wrap my head around MO2 (which is the only modern manager that apparently is supposed to work with it) After several hours of beating my head against the wall, I gave up in frustration. I will likely play Skyblivion, if it ever gets released. But that is the only way I would ever want to experience playing Oblivion again.

I also use Wrye Bash for Skyrim sE ... It's hard to imagine, but before Skyrim, I never used installers for Oblivion  -  everything is only manually :) But the fact that something is difficult to install there is not so, the main difference is that Oblivion considers the loading order by mod dates, and the (vanilla) launcher spoils this order. The rest is the same as for Skyrim.

What I like about Oblivion is the stupid chatter of the characters (there is even a whole procedure in the packages when the character is looking for an interlocutor or waiting for a conversation), in Skyrim there is no such thing at all, there are only scenes and repeated phrases.

Because of this, I abandoned Skyrim many years ago, now I'm just looking at new physics, graphics and animation. But the characters do not have new procedural dialogues - as they did not have, dolls.

• 2 months later...
On 8/30/2021 at 11:33 PM, Trippy_the_Squirrel said:

Definitely.

A new set of mods, a different (or random) character, a different career and development path, and it's a new game every time.  The graphics and engine have stood up fairly well, and if the Radiant AI and dialogue gets somewhat predictable over time, there's a certain nostalgia associated with that as well.

Well worth a replay.  Definitely worth a first play-through (if on PC, and not from Steam).

T.T.S.

THIS.

OP, it's one of those games that never die. Even new mods are always out and it's moddable to the moon and back, it's easy and fun to mod for anyone, the base scripting language is very friendly to learn so it's possible to create lot of personal content (large and complex quests included), it doesn't give skyrim headaches.  The graphic can be improved so much with ENB and OR if you look at some screenshots around is unbelievable. Yes, totally worth returning to.

Edited by ElectroOracle

Oblivion does good at wanting to do various kind of runs, the imagination you can put in the game through mods it's never ending
and the fact that skyrim updated again it maked me mad to reinstall all the mods i had for Skyrim SE(finally i deleted every mod and the game until it get's it's final updates), because majority of it's mods needs other scripts that are outdated and screw every other mods because they get outdated. (personally, reviving skyrim again was a mistake)
so now im trying to reinstall oblivion in the TOASTER i have for computer and experiment how do i explode it (kinda imposible though i modded oblivion with heavy things and the only thing i could get was make it slower.)
imagine that my computer is really a very old notebook(don't remember if netbooks were more powerfull,but mine's got very old and a little obsolete)

but in the end i hope to get a little upgrade for this toaster so i can play with better mods

• 3 weeks later...

Hot take on Morrowind, Oblivion, FNV graphics  vs Skyrim and FO4.

The graphics may be old in the older games, but I see the artistic skill that went into them. That's what appeals to me and especially my Morrowind is now eye candy to me, after getting the look  that I like with textures and shaders. Oblivion is beautiful, (with a decent face/head replacer), Shivering Isles especially so, otherworldly, even with the strangeness of no shade.   If I go into Skyrim after coming out of any of the older games, it's like getting used the 4K screen soap opera effect. Everything is too sharp, uncanny valley. FO4 looks all right, especially with the textures I use. I can go into Morrowind, Oblivion, FNV right after playing one of the newer games, and each game has its charm. Perhaps because the Mojave desert is my earliest childhood memory, so FNV has a certain je ne sais quoi. Morrowind is the most immersive. Sometimes it feels like a place that I dimly remember from the edges of dreams. Skyrim is too realistic in way, though I have played thousands of hours on it and have great textures in that game. FO4 is fun, because scrapping and building stuff is relaxing.

Oblivion is worth returning to, I'd say. It all really depends on your tastes, what kind of graphics you like in conjunction with gameplay, combat, and writing.

Edited by Daedric_Cat
On 12/17/2021 at 10:38 PM, Daedric_Cat said:

Hot take on Morrowind, Oblivion, FNV graphics  vs Skyrim and FO4.

The graphics may be old in the older games, but I see the artistic skill that went into them. That's what appeals to me and especially my Morrowind is now eye candy to me, after getting the look  that I like with textures and shaders. Oblivion is beautiful, (with a decent face/head replacer), Shivering Isles especially so, otherworldly, even with the strangeness of no shade.   If I go into Skyrim after coming out of any of the older games, it's like getting used the 4K screen soap opera effect. Everything is too sharp, uncanny valley. FO4 looks all right, especially with the textures I use. I can go into Morrowind, Oblivion, FNV right after playing one of the newer games, and each game has its charm. Perhaps because the Mojave desert is my earliest childhood memory, so FNV has a certain je ne sais quoi. Morrowind is the most immersive. Sometimes it feels like a place that I dimly remember from the edges of dreams. Skyrim is too realistic in way, though I have played thousands of hours on it and have great textures in that game. FO4 is fun, because scrapping and building stuff is relaxing.

Oblivion is worth returning to, I'd say. It all really depends on your tastes, what kind of graphics you like in conjunction with gameplay, combat, and writing.

what a deep reflection

• 2 weeks later...